Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anthlon!

Started by RacinRazorback, March 06, 2015, 08:04:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RacinRazorback

BP and Qualls done their thing, but we don't beat SC without Bell. Zone defenses absolutely kill us and without Bells 2 3ptrs to loosen up the zone at the end of the game we most likely lose this game. He made them respect the perimeter. Glad to see Anthlon back shooting well! WPS!

HawgTrough

March 06, 2015, 08:07:15 am #1 Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:45:05 am by HawgTrough
He got cold at the end but the threat was still there. Also, the refs were awfully loose on USC making contact with our perimeter shooters after the shot
WPS

Biggus Piggus

Bell's career against South Carolina:

Road - 0-4 shooting, 0 points

Home - 0-2 shooting, 0 points
SECT - 2-5 shooting, 5 points

Home - 2-6 shooting, 6 points
Road - 6-10 shooting, 17 points

That was the best game Bell's ever had against a good defensive team. His 14 against Texas A&M foreshadowed this (Kentucky, not so much). Could be a good sign.
[CENSORED]!

thehill1414

Per Danny West, we are 18-2 over the past 3 years when he scores at least 11...he is crucial to making a run.  Great job last night Anthlon!

PonderinHog

A hot Bell could propel us into the Elite Eight.

chiti66

Yes, when hes on, then we are awfully tough to beat!  Go Hogs!!!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HawgTrough on March 06, 2015, 08:07:15 am
He got cold at the end but the threat was still there. Also, the refs were awfully loose on USC making contact with our perimeter shooters after the shot

He hit his last 3 shots. Scoring 8 of our final 16.

onebadrubi

Bell's secret to success is getting squared up before he starts his shot motion.  I've said this a couple of times the last few weeks.  He is running great of screens and picks set just for him and catching the ball out of the them just fine, he's just starting his shot motion and jump before he is square and it's all of then.  Watch him next time, if he squares up FIRST, then starts the motion he is probably 3/4 on those shots, if he is still running and trying to shoot he goes 0/4.  The same with his inside the arc shots.  He is dynamite on a pull up jumper actually, but he has to square up.  I hope this staff can get that through to him because that is key to us.  If he can come in and help our 2nd team get 8-10 points like he did last night in the first half, we are trouble for ANYONE

Kevin

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 06, 2015, 09:23:15 am
Bell's secret to success is getting squared up before he starts his shot motion.  I've said this a couple of times the last few weeks.  He is running great of screens and picks set just for him and catching the ball out of the them just fine, he's just starting his shot motion and jump before he is square and it's all of then.  Watch him next time, if he squares up FIRST, then starts the motion he is probably 3/4 on those shots, if he is still running and trying to shoot he goes 0/4.  The same with his inside the arc shots.  He is dynamite on a pull up jumper actually, but he has to square up.  I hope this staff can get that through to him because that is key to us.  If he can come in and help our 2nd team get 8-10 points like he did last night in the first half, we are trouble for ANYONE

all about his foot work
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Swinesong1

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 06, 2015, 09:23:15 am
^^^^This!  It was very obvious last night.  On his misses, he's practically shooting it without eyeing goal first.  Ir's like he know's his role is to be the spark but he's rushing to be the spark.  Just embrace the role and take your time Ant!

The_Iceman

Bell shoots much better when he slows down his shooting motion. Watch his arms on many of the ones he rushes. He shoots it way to quick.

Last night, you saw him square up and shoot it with a smooth release...and good results happened.

I said it earlier in the year and I'll say it again, we will need Bell to win us some games this year.

opineonswine

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 06, 2015, 08:10:53 am
Bell's career against South Carolina:

Road - 0-4 shooting, 0 points

Home - 0-2 shooting, 0 points
SECT - 2-5 shooting, 5 points

Home - 2-6 shooting, 6 points
Road - 6-10 shooting, 17 points

That was the best game Bell's ever had against a good defensive team. His 14 against Texas A&M foreshadowed this (Kentucky, not so much). Could be a good sign.

I just said he was not very consistent on the road.  I was dead wrong last night...so glad.  Couldn't have won without him.

Cresthog

He hit some BIG shots to cut the lead at the end.

For as bad as everyone says his defense is, he does make some solid plays every now and then.

Gotta have him on the team. He's a gunner.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Cresthog on March 06, 2015, 09:40:15 am

For as bad as everyone says his defense is, he does make some solid plays every now and then.

He plays very emotional.  If he drains a three he plays D like Beard, if he just missed a shot he gets a little lax.  He also a lot of times after making a 3 doesn't immediately get into the press.  A couple of things I believe have hurt him from starting. 

He definitely won us last nights game though.  A player like him gets hot in either tournament and we are lethal. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 06, 2015, 08:39:26 am
A hot Bell could propel us into the Elite Eight.

He is definitely the X factor for this team.

I guess shooting in general, but if he's a factor we are hard to beat.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

arkansasrazorback

I won't lie.  During the middle of the game he went cold.  When he was in there towards the end he had a crucial foul and i thought him being in there might cost us the game because of his defense.  He proved me wrong.  Like everyone else is saying, Bell is crucial to make a run.

dsims2k3

When we jumped out to those big leads on USCe and aTm, he was hot. He is very dangerous when there is not much pressure on him. If he gets more comfortable with game pressure, look out! He gives the team a 5th gear.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Atlhogfan1

Bell hitting shots consistently is the one thing that could make a dramatic difference in the team at this point.  The formula for winning this season in a number of games has been that third scorer in addition to Qualls and Portis.  If from here on out, after games we could say we found a 4th scorer to go with Qualls, Portis and Bell, then the inconsistent play within games may disappear especially considering Bell is often with the offensively challenged second unit.  Don't trust the defense against NCAAT level competition but perhaps Bell hitting shots could force the pace we want and overcome it.  (How many times have we had this conversation since he was signed?)
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 06, 2015, 11:36:05 am
Bell hitting shots consistently is the one thing that could make a dramatic difference in the team at this point.  The formula for winning this season in a number of games has been that third scorer in addition to Qualls and Portis.  If from here on out, after games we could say we found a 4th scorer to go with Qualls, Portis and Bell, then the inconsistent play within games may disappear especially considering Bell is often with the offensively challenged second unit.  Don't trust the defense against NCAAT level competition but perhaps Bell hitting shots could force the pace we want and overcome it.  (How many times have we had this conversation since he was signed?)
Redundantly...

HawgTrough

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 06, 2015, 08:54:19 am
He hit his last 3 shots. Scoring 8 of our final 16.

And I didn't even drink during the game.....
WPS

onebadrubi

Quote from: HawgTrough on March 06, 2015, 11:47:13 am

Then you didn't lay anything on the -1.5... those that did were drinking like a fish. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HawgTrough on March 06, 2015, 11:47:13 am

He did go cold around the middle of the game

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: Cresthog on March 06, 2015, 09:40:15 am

His put-back/runner in the lane with the game on the line was huge. A "non-Anthlon" play that he can start to make more of as he gains confidence.

WarPig88

Quote from: Kevin on March 06, 2015, 09:33:45 am
all about his foot work

In a technical sense you are right, but I would say it's more about his decision making.

When he tries to force himself on the game, he rushes and doesn't square up and this is when he misses most of the time.

When he is open, his footwork is tremendous.

It's really between his ears whether he will be on or off most nights.