Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scott Sutton out at ORU

Started by husker71, April 10, 2017, 06:40:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

kind of surprising to me.  Maybe somebody at Oral Roberts thinks Ken Trickey is going to walk back in those doors with Richie Fuqua and that bunch of players he brought in from Memphis

Pancetta

I wonder if TJ could get a look there? 
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Pancetta on April 10, 2017, 10:53:45 pm
I wonder if TJ could get a look there? 

That would be a awesome opportunity to start his head coaching carreer...and in time take over for a retired MA
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: husker71 on April 10, 2017, 06:40:51 pm
kind of surprising to me.  Maybe somebody at Oral Roberts thinks Ken Trickey is going to walk back in those doors with Richie Fuqua and that bunch of players he brought in from Memphis

Only surprise is the way they handled it.

Last 3 Year record
19-15
14-17
8-22

2 postseason tournaments in last 5 years and they were CBI/CIT.  Average of 17 losses per year over the last 5 years.

It's the definition of not surprising.  They handled it in the worst way possible though.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 11, 2017, 08:36:53 am
Only surprise is the way they handled it.

Last 3 Year record
19-15
14-17
8-22

2 postseason tournaments in last 5 years and they were CBI/CIT.  Average of 17 losses per year over the last 5 years.

It's the definition of not surprising.  They handled it in the worst way possible though.
How did they handle it?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Sho Nuff on April 11, 2017, 09:06:16 am
How did they handle it?

From what I've read and heard, they told all the players but told them do not say anything.  This was before Sutton even knew.  Sutton found out on Twitter.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

NWAHog479

What about Lee Mayberry? Has 2 daughters going there, is a Tulsa guy...

Porked Tongue

According to reports from the Tulsa World and local TV station KTOV, the school's July 2013 hiring of new university president Billy Wilson spelled the beginning of the end for Sutton. Wilson reportedly told Sutton he had to adhere more closely to the school's evangelist roots, and would only be allowed to sign players without tattoos. Incoming players would also have to pass a "faith exam," and prove their Christian bona fides.

LINK

Porked Tongue

Pretty informative article.

Once given those parameters, he had his worst seasons.

husker71

Billy Wilson must be stuck in the 60s.  My gosh I hate tattoos BUT is that a reason not to recruit a good player??  I used to work for a company that after a Christmas party drafted a no "visible" tattoo policy.   It was a darn storm for awhile and that was 12 years ago.  In their defense they are  a private university.  I wonder if Liberty has any such rules.

Slater

If TJ is the choice, any chance Todd Day takes his spot?
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

Arazorbackguy1

Based on those rules, I hope TJ passes on ORU.  Sounds like that job is setup for failure
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 11, 2017, 12:11:32 pm
From what I've read and heard, they told all the players but told them do not say anything.  This was before Sutton even knew.  Sutton found out on Twitter.
Wow - that's insane!

Kevin

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 11, 2017, 07:09:54 pm
According to reports from the Tulsa World and local TV station KTOV, the school’s July 2013 hiring of new university president Billy Wilson spelled the beginning of the end for Sutton. Wilson reportedly told Sutton he had to adhere more closely to the school’s evangelist roots, and would only be allowed to sign players without tattoos. Incoming players would also have to pass a “faith exam,” and prove their Christian bona fides.

LINK

that is a text book example of the difference between religion &  a Christ follower.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

husker71

have a feeling the list of candidates will be very small

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: husker71 on April 11, 2017, 08:02:55 pm
Billy Wilson must be stuck in the 60s.  My gosh I hate tattoos BUT is that a reason not to recruit a good player??  I used to work for a company that after a Christmas party drafted a no "visible" tattoo policy.   It was a darn storm for awhile and that was 12 years ago.  In their defense they are  a private university.  I wonder if Liberty has any such rules.

I guess you've never been on ORU's campus. They are about as strict as any in their administration.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Slater

Mentioned on radio this morning, Sutton was not recruiting guys that appealed to their "fans" and they looked too inner city. If accurate then they will be a bunch of white guys without ink, outside of Wisconsin or Hooisers can't think of a winning team that looks like that.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

Hogginintheville

Quite a few mid/low major schools

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

UofMemphis

Quote from: Slater on April 13, 2017, 12:26:43 pm
Mentioned on radio this morning, Sutton was not recruiting guys that appealed to their "fans" and they looked too inner city. If accurate then they will be a bunch of white guys without ink, outside of Wisconsin or Hooisers can't think of a winning team that looks like that.

the 'inner city' kids won games, though...

from 2003-2015 Scott Sutton and ORU went 266-158 featuring 3 NCAAs, 2 NITs, 2 CITs, and a CBI.
memphistigers.org <--- memphis message board.

Birminghog

Quote from: Kevin on April 12, 2017, 09:40:10 am
that is a text book example of the difference between religion &  a Christ follower.

Agreed, Kevin. Never understood how a "Christian" institution could condone conducting themselves with their personnel in such unchristian ways. I worked for two different Christian universities, covering 24 years, and I saw it time and time again. Huge double standard in what they say to their faculties and how they act toward their faculties. If you're going to claim the Name, claim it all the way or not at all.

As for Liberty (a school at which I never worked), I had a friend told me he was kicked out for dating a black girl (he was white). His dad was a buddy of Jerry's and talked Jerry into letting my friend back in if he would toe the line.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Inhogswetrust

According to reports from the Tulsa World and local TV station KTOV, the school's July 2013 hiring of new university president Billy Wilson spelled the beginning of the end for Sutton. Wilson reportedly told Sutton he had to adhere more closely to the school's evangelist roots, and would only be allowed to sign players without tattoos. Incoming players would also have to pass a "faith exam," and prove their Christian bona fides.

LINK

I find it interesting they are biased against tattoos. Without men with tattoos we might not win WWII and they might not have the freedom to not want them playing there if they even had a school at all.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 17, 2017, 06:55:10 am
I find it interesting they are biased against tattoos. Without men with tattoos we might not win WWII and they might not have the freedom to not want them playing there if they even had a school at all.

There is an Old Testament verse that says not to get tattoos to honor the dead.

Some take it as a prohibition against all tattoos. Thing is, if you believe that way, then don't get a tattoo.

According to Jesus, the greatest commandment is to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength and love your neighbor as yourself. ............except if he has tattoos.

I added the except part to emphasize that there are NO exceptions in that commandment.  Sadly there are many people who think that following Christ is about judging others instead of using every tool at their disposal for spreading the gospel........even to people with tattoos.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 17, 2017, 07:27:17 am
There is an Old Testament verse that says not to get tattoos to honor the dead.

Some take it as a prohibition against all tattoos. Thing is, if you believe that way, then don't get a tattoo.

According to Jesus, the greatest commandment is to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength and love your neighbor as yourself. ............except if he has tattoos.

I added the except part to emphasize that there are NO exceptions in that commandment.  Sadly there are many people who think that following Christ is about judging others instead of using every tool at their disposal for spreading the gospel........even to people with tattoos.

Does a tattoo of the mark of the beast matter? Thinking of changing my handle to 666Hog. I know it's not a tattoo but I just want to ease into it.  :-X
Hogs up! Covid down!

Inhogswetrust

April 17, 2017, 02:00:19 pm #25 Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:30:33 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: FineAsSwine on April 17, 2017, 01:43:24 pm
Does a tattoo of the mark of the beast matter? Thinking of changing my handle to 666Hog. I know it's not a tattoo but I just want to ease into it.  :-X

According to Jesus. That's always the first thing said. Thus if you believe in Jesus then it's only a matter of interpretation. VERY FEW people have the ability to interpret ancient texts in any way. Not to mention the things that were left out of the Bible.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: FineAsSwine on April 17, 2017, 01:43:24 pm

No one knows that 666 will be the mark.

Smokehouse

LINK

They also lied and denied the existence of the faith exam after the TW ran the story (a copy of it was promptly leaked to the press.)
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.