Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1977 Razorbacks Team - national champions?

Started by redleg, March 22, 2018, 11:28:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

The 1977 team finished 11-1 (only loss was vs Texas 9-13, and there were a number of questionable calls in that game), beat #2 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl 31-6, and finished #3 in the AP and UPI polls.

But there have been numerous polls and rating systems that have been around for decades that give out recognized titles to teams over the years.
One such rating system is the Rothman (FACT) mathematical rating system, a system that was in use from 1968 to 2006. This system gave teams shares of college football national championships if they deserve a share based on a mathematical equation.
The 1977 national championship, according to the R(FACT) rating system, is shared by Notre Dame, Texas, and Arkansas. It is the only time in school history outside of 1964, that the Hogs have been given recognition for a national title.

My question is:
Why doesn't the university go ahead and accept this honor and claim a title for that year?! I would! Hell look at Alabama, and how many they claim!  ???

Unless Wikipedia changes it down the line, they currently list Arkansas as a national champion for that season.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_Arkansas_Razorbacks_football_team
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

99toLife

Quote from: redleg on March 22, 2018, 11:28:07 am
The 1977 team finished 11-1 (only loss was vs Texas 9-13, and there were a number of questionable calls in that game), beat #2 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl 31-6, and finished #3 in the AP and UPI polls.

But there have been numerous polls and rating systems that have been around for decades that give out recognized titles to teams over the years.
One such rating system is the Rothman (FACT) mathematical rating system, a system that was in use from 1968 to 2006. This system gave teams shares of college football national championships if they deserve a share based on a mathematical equation.
The 1977 national championship, according to the R(FACT) rating system, is shared by Notre Dame, Texas, and Arkansas. It is the only time in school history outside of 1964, that the Hogs have been given recognition for a national title.

My question is:
Why doesn't the university go ahead and accept this honor and claim a title for that year?! I would! Hell look at Alabama, and how many they claim!  ???

Unless Wikipedia changes it down the line, they currently list Arkansas as a national champion for that season.
if it makes you feel better then claim it,  still doesn't change anything.

Tusks

I might be wrong but we kind of fluked ourselves in the TX game.  It was a very windy day, Steve Little record FG windy day.

There was a clock malfunction and one of the qtrs when the hogs had the wind got shortened around 6:00 minutes I believe.  Well the refs just tacked the missing 6:00 minutes onto a qtr when the hogs were against the wind.  So who knows if that made a difference.

Kind of typical AR experience.

Sports illustrated did an article in the late 80s on the best teams in the history of college football to not win a NC and that team was like 4th.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogcards

Wasn't it something like Sporting News, Sports Illustrated or Playboy that claimed we were the National Champs?
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

redleg

Quote from: 99toLife on March 22, 2018, 11:54:38 am
It would change Arkansas' claimed national championships from 1 to 2, so yeah, it would change something despite any defeatist attitudes.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Tusks

Quote from: hogcards on March 22, 2018, 12:15:03 pm
Wasn't it something like Sporting News, Sports Illustrated or Playboy that claimed we were the National Champs?

Funny that a few years later rick Schaffer and his moral compass boycotted SID info to Playboy because well they were Playboy.  SMH

AirWarren

My question is:

Like 1964. No national title.

Tusks

99toLife

Quote from: redleg on March 22, 2018, 12:19:06 pm
It would change Arkansas' claimed national championships from 1 to 2, so yeah, it would change something despite any defeatist attitudes.
Like I said just claim a national championship 41 years a ago that NO national record keeping organization claims us as national champion. It changes nothing. 

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: 99toLife on March 22, 2018, 12:30:58 pm
Like I said just claim a national championship 41 years a ago that NO national record keeping organization claims us as national champion. It changes nothing.
Well at least one service claims it.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

AirWarren

Quote from: tusked on March 22, 2018, 12:28:51 pm
Just got out of bed?

Naw man. I'm an earner. Not a Medicaid tit sucker.

It was drop a deuce break. No better time to scroll this place.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: AP85 on March 22, 2018, 12:52:45 pm
Naw man. I'm an earner. Not a Medicaid tit sucker.

It was drop a deuce break. No better time to scroll this place.
It's amazing how the 2 go hand and hand.

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

99toLife

pignparadise

"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

EastexHawg

If Notre Dame is ever involved forget about getting the benefit of the doubt.  Not gonna happen.

I agree that the '77 team has as good a claim to the national championship...which, by the way, was nothing more than an opinion poll/popularity contest, meaning there is no such thing as a "legitimate" champion...as anyone else.

Hog_Swanson

195bc

March 22, 2018, 02:24:21 pm #18 Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:15:20 pm by 195bc

My question is:

Close, but no. We were legit No. 4 (some argue No. 3, but I don't agree). We had a weak non-conference schedule, and that really hurt. Our non-conference wins were against 4-7 Ok St, 4-7 NM St, 3-8 Tulsa.

Going into the bowl games (references to all rankings are final regular season AP):
1. Texas (11-0, with wins over No.2 OU, No. 6 Arkansas, No. 17 A&M)
2. OU (one loss to Texas, wins over No. 9 Ohio State, No. 12 Neb)
3. Alabama (one loss to No. 12 Nebraska, win over No. 20 USC)
4. Michigan (one loss at unranked Minnesota, wins over No. 9 Ohio St, No. 17 A&M)
5. Notre Dame (one loss to unranked Ole Miss, wins over No. 10 Pitt, No. 11 Clemson No. 20 USC)
6. Arkansas (one loss to No. 1 Texas, win over No. 17 A&M)
7. Kentucky (one loss to unranked Baylor, wins over No. 8 Penn St, No. 14 UNC) - probation, no bowl
8. Penn St (one loss to No. 7 Kentucky, wins over No. 10 Pitt, No. 15 Arizona St)

In the bowls:
#1 Texas lost to #5 ND
#2 OU lost to to #6 Arkansas
#3 Alabama beat #9 Ohio St
#4 Michigan lost to #13 Washington
#7 Kentucky did not play
#8 Penn St beat #15 Arizona St

So, logic states that Alabama or Notre Dame would move to #1. Notre Dame had a worse loss but far more quality wins during the regular season. They should have been #1.

Texas, which lost, but still only had one loss on the season. They had a undefeated regular season, including a non-conference win over OU. They probably should have finished ahead of Bama in the final poll.

Arkansas had a weaker non-conference schedule than Texas. Both teams had one loss and their best win was against OU, and Texas beat Arkansas head to head.

Would have been an awesome year for a playoff. Sadly, Arkansas still wouldn't have gotten into a four-team playoff. Overall, Notre Dame was the most tested team. They had a very strong schedule. They did have the one loss to Ole Miss, but that game was in Jackson, MS. Alabama didn't have as many ranked wins as Arkansas, but they went into the bowl game ranked higher, and nearly all their wins were by big margins (as were Arkansas').

Razor1997

We have more of a claim to 1977 than Alabama does to 1964.

99toLife

Quote from: Razor1997 on March 22, 2018, 02:27:18 pm
We have more of a claim to 1977 than Alabama does to 1964.
So what, is that your point?

pignparadise

Quote from: 195bc on March 22, 2018, 02:24:21 pm
Close, but no. We were legit No. 4 (some argue No. 3, but I don't agree). We had a weak non-conference schedule, and that really hurt. Our non-conference wins were against 4-7 Ok St, 4-7 NM St, 3-8 Tulsa.

Going into the bowl games (references to all rankings are final regular season AP):
4. Michigan (one loss at unranked Minnesota, wins over No. 9 Ohio St, No. 17 A&M)
5. Notre Dame (one loss to unranked Ole Miss, wins over No. 10 Pitt, No. 11 Clemson No. 20 USC)
7. Kentucky (one loss to unranked Baylor, wins over No. 8 Penn St, No. 14 UNC) - probation, no bowl
8. Penn St (one loss to No. 7 Kentucky, wins over No. 10 Pitt, No. 15 Arizona St)

In the bowls:
#1 Texas lost to #5 ND
#7 Kentucky did not play

So, logic states that Alabama or Notre Dame would move to #1. Notre Dame had a worse loss but far more quality wins during the regular season. Either way, they would be #1 and #2.

Texas, which lost, but still only had one loss on the season, would likely be #3. They had undefeated regular season, including a non-conference win over OU. 

Arkansas had a weaker non-conference schedule than Texas. Both teams best win was against OU, and Texas beat Arkansas head to head.

Penn St or Kentucky would be #5 and #6, with OU still ranking somewhere in there, no lower than #7.

Final speculated AP poll:
1.   Notre Dame 11-1
2.   Alabama 11-1
3.   Texas 11-1
4.   Arkansas 11-1 
5.   Penn St 11-1
6.   Kentucky 10-1 or Oklahoma 10-2

Would have been an awesome year for a playoff. Sadly, Arkansas still wouldn't have gotten into a four-team playoff. Overall, Notre Dame was the most tested team. They had a very strong schedule. They did have the one loss to Ole Miss, but that game was in Jackson, MS. Alabama didn't have as many ranked wins as Arkansas, but they went into the bowl game ranked higher, and nearly all their wins were by big margins (as were Arkansas').
Quote from: 195bc on March 22, 2018, 02:24:21 pm

In the bowls:
#1 Texas lost to #5 ND
#7 Kentucky did not play

So, logic states that Alabama or Notre Dame would move to #1. Notre Dame had a worse loss but far more quality wins during the regular season. Either way, they would be #1 and #2.

Texas, which lost, but still only had one loss on the season, would likely be #3. They had undefeated regular season, including a non-conference win over OU. 

Arkansas had a weaker non-conference schedule than Texas. Both teams best win was against OU, and Texas beat Arkansas head to head.

Penn St or Kentucky would be #5 and #6, with OU still ranking somewhere in there, no lower than #7.

Final speculated AP poll:
1.   Notre Dame 11-1
2.   Alabama 11-1
3.   Texas 11-1
4.   Arkansas 11-1 
5.   Penn St 11-1
6.   Kentucky 10-1 or Oklahoma 10-2

You are wrong on Final AP poll. Texas was a distant 4th. And the thing that trumps all was Notre Dame LOST to Unranked Ole Miss. :puke:
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

AirWarren

I would love to see the look on a recruits face when we say "get a load this 1964 national title".

Haha.

Snout team

University of Central Florida is holding on line one  :)
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

99toLife

Quote from: AP85 on March 22, 2018, 02:49:52 pm
I would love to see the look on a recruits face when we say "get a load this 1964 national title".

Haha.

Yea. I'm from Texas and my Grandpa never mentioned it.   ;)

Mike_e

Accepting a National title from an out of nowhere poll is kind of like kissing your sister.

Well, that explains alabama anyway.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tejano Jawg

In '64, when we're a dominant and undefeated team, finishing the year with a bowl win...I believe we can all claim the NC in good conscience. Plus, the (not-so-recognized) bowl results changed everything in our favor.

The '77 team was different. No doubt, a great team...and who wouldn't want to go back in time and play the Fighting Irish? ND got the nod because they happened to be the team that beat #1 Texas, did it with authority, and did it in the last game. Because that's the way it was back then...I hate it, but I accept it. Our problem was that we were coming from farther back in the polls (#6). Had we been higher, we might have jumped Bama and ended up #2. Because Bama beat ho-hum #9 Ohio State.

What if ND only beats Texas by 1 or 2 points? People love voting for them, so it probably wouldn't have changed anything.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

DLUXHOG

I was there...  Arkansas is the national champion in the 1977 season...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

99toLife

Quote from: DLUXHOG on March 22, 2018, 03:59:59 pm
I was there...  Arkansas is the national champion in the 1977 season...
Awesome.   you win and feel better and that is all that counts according to you.  Live long and prosper.

AirWarren

We are the Central Florida of 1964 and 1977.

King Kong

rtr

March 22, 2018, 04:35:33 pm #32 Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:27:30 am by rtr
Quote from: 99toLife on March 22, 2018, 11:54:38 am
No it doesn't but the Hogs have as legitimate claim as Notre Dame.  Please remember they lost to Ole Miss that year.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

AirWarren

It just shows the type of program we are if we still have people crying over '77.

liljo

Quote from: AP85 on March 22, 2018, 04:49:20 pm
It just shows the type of program we are if we still have people crying over '77.

You keep saying "we"...

What's Auburn got to do with this?
;D
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

Ugly Uncle

My question is:

I once researched all of this.

The FACT system is what was used to determine the BCS "computer" rankings.  I have forgotten all that I found out, but roughly what happened.

I hunted down the guy that came up with the system.  He had passed away, but the Prof. that had kept it going...I actually got him on the phone.  Really nice guy.  This was before I started doing radio or I would have gotten him on my show.  I asked him if they presented a trophy or certificate, he said they didn't.  They just announced it.

If I remember correctly, one of the NC that Texas claims was only from FACT.  Yet we don't.

I haven't read all through this thread but there are a couple of reasons why we don't claim this one...though I think we should.

1.  This was not given until later.  I don't remember how long after but they went back and ran the numbers I believe some time in the 80's and announced their findings in retro.

2.  People around Frank didn't want to accept it.

Both of those are true from people that I have talked to.
Retired Radio Host

WizardofhOgZ

Oh . . . this old chestnut again . . . lol . . . resurfaces almost every off-season.

Here is a thread that contains a lot of takes on the subject. 

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=560912.0;

Below is mine, from that thread:

Finally, I voted to neither add nor subtract any Championships to our record.  Just because our SEC brethren are suddenly finding creative ways to add phantom Championships to their media guides doesn't mean that we should follow suit.  1977 is the one that is closest, IMO, but the difference between 1964 and 1977 is that the AP DID take a poll after the 1977 Bowls and even though - IMO - we had as good an argument as any team that year, another team was voted ahead of us.  In other words, we got our "day in court" and lost the decision.  Doesn't mean I'm any less happy with our Orange Bowl rout of OU.  Sure, I'd have liked to have captured the vote and been named Champions.  But I also see that 3 or 4 other teams have equally as compelling an argument, and only 1 was going to be happy with the result.

In 1964, we didn't "lose" the vote - they just didn't take it (talking about AP and UPI).  So we get screwed (in the eyes of those that weren't there and therefore don't understand) when they simply look at the "Final AP poll", see Alabama ranked #1 and assume it was done with the same methodology as EVERYONE understands is the correct way to do it - which is, a vote taken after ALL of the games, Bowls included.  Of course, that's not what happened that year - but younger fans don't take the time to research that - they just assume it was, and that - therefore - we lost a vote (for whatever reason) to a one-loss Alabama team.  That's not what happened.

195bc

Quote from: pignparadise on March 22, 2018, 02:41:48 pm
You are wrong on Final AP poll. Texas was a distant 4th. And the thing that trumps all was Notre Dame LOST to Unranked Ole Miss. :puke:

Your are correct, I forgot they had a post bowl AP poll by then. I had just been looking at the final regular season poll. Texas was 4 and Arkansas 3. But I still think Texas has a better argument to be ranked ahead of us. Notre Dame had one loss on the road to an SEC school and had the most impressive schedule. Like it or not, they had a better resume than anyone else. Texas should have really been #2, as their resume was better than Alabama and certainly better than Arkansas.

regi

I am 50, and was only 9 going on 10 in 77, but for all I have seen through the years,  77, 78, may have been our most talented teams,  77 maybe the best Hog team ever.  Tons of guys from both those seasons,  that would get drafted,  and have ok,  to HOF NFL Careers.

GoldCoastHog

My question is:

God knows Alabama would count it in heartbeat.

bphi11ips

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on March 22, 2018, 07:42:56 pm

Every time a bell rings, Alabama claims another national title.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on March 22, 2018, 07:42:56 pm
Yep, even though they don't have to.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I claim 1909, 1964, 1965, 1977 and when the FBI and NCAA finally right the Auburn farce of 2010 and the outright corruption of the NCAA letting Ohio St.'s players play in the Sugar Bowl. (they've already had to vacate that win)  We become the rightful National Champion for 2010.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

rljjr

We SHOULD claim it.

It's certainly far more legit than UCF this year.

If those old ND guys want to play the old Hogs for the title bring it on. It will be a Married With Children episode come to life.

007 License To Squeal

If I remember correctly, the Razorbacks were the only teams which didn't lose to a lower ranked team.  Every other team including ND, was upset at least once during the season.  I have always thought were were robbed.

Didn't ND jump from 5th to 1st?
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

rtr

March 23, 2018, 08:26:31 am #45 Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:50:50 am by rtr
Quote from: 195bc on March 22, 2018, 06:11:40 pm
Your are correct, I forgot they had a post bowl AP poll by then. I had just been looking at the final regular season poll. Texas was 4 and Arkansas 3. But I still think Texas has a better argument to be ranked ahead of us. Notre Dame had one loss on the road to an SEC school and had the most impressive schedule. Like it or not, they had a better resume than anyone else. Texas should have really been #2, as their resume was better than Alabama and certainly better than Arkansas.
A little historical context, the SEC was not then what it is today.  The SWC could claim to be better.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

hogcards

I know Notre Dame ended up ranked 1, but who was 2?  Texas?
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

pignparadise

jbigs77

Its been a few years, but I read Lou Holtz book on his NC ND team. I seem to remember him saying his Arkansas 77 team was the best one he ever had.

The Hawg Marshal

In 1977 there was no real way to decide the National Championship.It was left to the "opinion" of sportswriters. We have as much claim to it as anyone. Does it change anything ? Nope. But we can claim it if we want to, it doesn't hurt a thing.