Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Breakdown of 2018-2019 Incoming Players

Started by The_Iceman, March 18, 2018, 09:01:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorback1829

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 22, 2018, 03:44:40 pm
What I was wondering.  Goodness.  I think Hall was good for us this year and will be a very, very good player in the future.

He's telling the truth though. Phillips and Hall are different players. Phillips is a better ball handler, passer, shooter, and has good athletic ability. Hall is a better defender, more relentless, can finish better, and you never have to get him ready to go. To be so long and at tall at the wing, Hall is one of the most relentless players I've ever seen.

Back to the point though, Phillips is more offensively skilled that Hall at this point coming in. They will be totally different players.

bigred223

What I was wondering.  Goodness.  I think Hall was good for us this year and will be a very, very good player in the future.

I agree. Hall is going to be an exciting player, and I think a great leader for this team in the coming years.

#1 STUNNA

March 22, 2018, 04:14:38 pm #102 Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 04:34:24 pm by #1 STUNNA
The future is bright no matter what the nay sayers say.... 2017 class will be the winningest class Anderson has ever had.

ballinhog

I just want to say I have really enjoyed this entire thread. Just good basketball discussion. Some respectful disagreements but still it's stayed about basketball.

Thumps up to everyone

ballinhog

There were a few classes there where if Mike stayed on that trend he would've definitely left here being fired. But the 17 and 18 classes he's stepped his game up and these 2 classes could very well be the two that get us back to national prominence.

2020 could be the best ever for us if we can get Moody and Thompson. Both are top 30 players right now

The_Iceman

Quote from: ballinhog on March 22, 2018, 04:35:33 pm
There were a few classes there where if Mike stayed on that trend he would've definitely left here being fired. But the 17 and 18 classes he's stepped his game up and these 2 classes could very well be the two that get us back to national prominence.

2020 could be the best ever for us if we can get Moody and Thompson. Both are top 30 players right now

I sure hope we have spots open at the guard position when those guys are looking to come in. Right now, we'll have Joe, Embery, Sills, and possibly Garland as juniors, with Justice Hill as a sophomore. Hall (JR) and Phillips (So) will wing players as well.

Kind of worries me....

ballinhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 22, 2018, 04:47:02 pm
I sure hope we have spots open at the guard position when those guys are looking to come in. Right now, we'll have Joe, Embery, Sills, and possibly Garland as juniors, with Justice Hill as a sophomore. Hall (JR) and Phillips (So) will wing players as well.

Kind of worries me....

Yes we are loaded in the backcourt for a few years. Need to get some bodies in the paint to really be good. We need more guys like Chaney.

Javon Franklin is a must get next year. As of now there's not a spot for him but we gotta make room. If CJ Jones or A Bailey don't step up then one of them could be sacrificed for Franklin. One of them may end up leaving ol their own. I think CJ could bc these new guys are gonna take all his minutes

Pinto

Wait...When did I say that Hall wasn't good for us this year? Matter of fact, I've been saying he should start since December. All I said was that Phillips is an all around better player offensively than Hall. I absolutely think Dayday will improve his game year by year and have a great career.

Pinto

Quote from: ballinhog on March 22, 2018, 05:14:15 pm
Yes we are loaded in the backcourt for a few years. Need to get some bodies in the paint to really be good. We need more guys like Chaney.

Javon Franklin is a must get next year. As of now there's not a spot for him but we gotta make room. If CJ Jones or A Bailey don't step up then one of them could be sacrificed for Franklin. One of them may end up leaving ol their own. I think CJ could bc these new guys are gonna take all his minutes

Dan will be gone by '19 so we'll have that spot opening up for Javon. I honestly think/hope Justice will use a football scholarship instead of a basketball scholarship.

ballinhog

Quote from: Pinto on March 22, 2018, 05:49:43 pm
Dan will be gone by '19 so we'll have that spot opening up for Javon. I honestly think/hope Justice will use a football scholarship instead of a basketball scholarship.

I think there's a better chance that he can make money playing football than basketball so I kinda hope you're right

Foshodo

I could see both Jones and Bailey having diminished roles and less minutes leading to potential transfers... I'd say the same about Gabe but all I've read is he loves it at UofA...

Harris
Embery
Garland
Chaney
Gafford

With Harris being overcome at some point due to playing a bit reckless and maybe Joe sliding in to start or Hall in at 3 if Garland has more health concerns.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Foshodo on March 22, 2018, 08:34:00 pm
I could see both Jones and Bailey having diminished roles and less minutes leading to potential transfers... I'd say the same about Gabe but all I've read is he loves it at UofA...

Harris
Embery
Garland
Chaney
Gafford

With Harris being overcome at some point due to playing a bit reckless and maybe Joe sliding in to start or Hall in at 3 if Garland has more health concerns.
Hall will start at the 3 next year.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: ballinhog on March 22, 2018, 03:11:19 pm
I think to get our best 5 on the floor next year we will have to use D Hall at the 4 most of the time. He's the type of 4 Mike usually seems to like anyway. I know Mike has always been big on experience but he will have to change that next year to get the best 5 out there. I could see our lineup looking something like this, or this is how I think it should be. Maybe not what Mike will do tho

PG- J Harris
CG- Garland (assuming he's cleared)
CG- I joe (could see Phillips here as well)
F- D Hall
C- Gafford (praying he gives us one more year)

Bench should be

CG- Embery
CG- Sills/ SG- Jones
G/F- Phillips (could also start in place of Joe)
PF- Chaney (could start before it's  all said and done) Bailey/Gabe O
F/C- Henderson

With Mike it may look nothing like this but from the little I know and few clips I've seen of new guys this is how I see it as of now

If mike was going to play Hall at the 4, why wouldn't he have played him more there this year when we got virtually nothing from that spot this year?

ballinhog

Because we had a million of them that Mike liked giving minutes to and next year we won't  have so many. I figured that was prettt simple to figure out

I said that's how I seeit, and may not be what Mike would do.

Pinto

Quote from: ballinhog on March 25, 2018, 06:52:38 pm
Because we had a million of them that Mike liked giving minutes to and next year we won't  have so many. I figured that was prettt simple to figure out

The 4s coming in next year are better than last years

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: ballinhog on March 25, 2018, 06:52:38 pm

We'll have the same amount next year. You could argue we'll have more with how much Thomas and Bailey missed this season.

BannerMountainMan

Harris
Joe/Embery
Hall
Bailey
Gafford

Could be dangerous if the Freahman can play
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

navyhog24

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 26, 2018, 04:07:13 pm
Harris
Joe/Embery
Hall
Bailey
Gafford

Dangerous with Bailey and Harris in the starting 5? LOL.

Hawg Red

Way early, but I'm projecting....

C - Gafford
F - Bailey
F - Hall
G - Jones
G - Harris

Then again, I would not be totally shocked if C.J. transferred (just a feeling, nothing rumored or heard). Unlikely but would not be totally shocked. In that case, I might lean Embery due to his prep school background and the way he plays the game.

Hawg Red

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 26, 2018, 04:12:40 pm

Harris will have to step up big, but if he can handle the ball and move it around, and get it to Gafford....it will be huge. Sorely missing a true PG on this team and I think Harris is one. I think he was criminally underutilized at New Mexico, but I won't be pretend that he was some 4- or 5-star recruit that was misused. I'm only considering how he plays compared to how we play and how he was used at New Mexico. I think he will be a better fit at Arkansas. I think there will be more open-court possibilities for him and more shot opportunities. I'm hopefully optimistic with him.

On Bailey, I think he will be make a tremendous impact on defense. We'll just have to take whatever we get on offense, though he has shown some consistency on his mid-range jumper when left wide open. He's otherwise a garbage man on offense. Could see Chaney beat him out for a starting spot.

The_Iceman

Update:

Gafford is back, and is going to be paired with this man...

#1 STUNNA

Garland/ Harris
Joe/ Embery/Sills
Hall/ Phillips
Chaney/ Bailey/ Osa
Gafford/ Henderson

Jusy my opinion and what id love to see..

FineAsSwine

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 26, 2018, 04:35:47 pm
Garland/ Harris
Joe/ Embery/Sills
Hall/ Phillips
Chaney/ Bailey/ Osa
Gafford/ Henderson

Jusy my opinion and what id love to see..

Where does Jones fit in?
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawgwild15

All of you guys are forgetting about Garland. Pretty sure he's going to be ready to go. Those of you putting CJ Jones in the starting line up....why? Jones is not even a decent guy off the bench. He can't play defense and he's rarely "on". My starting 5 would look like this:
Gafford
Bailey/Chaney
Joe/Embrey
Hall/Garland
Harris

Anderson always talks about our depth, I think it was a downfall of this team. If you look at the good teams across the country, most played 8 guys. We played guys that wouldn't step onto the court at most schools. CJ Jones is just not a good basketball player. He shouldn't see the floor anymore than Holmes.

liljo

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 26, 2018, 04:12:40 pm

Even if you think this, why publicly state it?
Why do people that call themselves fans have to hate on players? I just don't get it.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

The_Iceman

Chaney is a superior player to Bailey and Gabe Osabuohien. If he isn't the starting PF day one, he will earn it quickly.

navyhog24

Quote from: liljo on March 26, 2018, 04:43:44 pm
Even if you think this, why publicly state it?
Why do people that call themselves fans have to hate on players? I just don't get it.

Oh be quiet snowflake. Sensitive much?

I'm not hating on the players. There would be hardly any offense in that lineup outside of Gafford and maybe Joe. Hall is still improving, but is not totally there yet to be a legit no. 2 scoring option. Bailey might be a decent defender, but we'll need more offense on the floor. Hopefully, Chaney can bring the "o".

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 26, 2018, 04:41:56 pm
Where does Jones fit in?
Not sure he should unless he improves significantly.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 26, 2018, 04:20:05 pm
Harris will have to step up big, but if he can handle the ball and move it around, and get it to Gafford....it will be huge. Sorely missing a true PG on this team and I think Harris is one. I think he was criminally underutilized at New Mexico, but I won't be pretend that he was some 4- or 5-star recruit that was misused. I'm only considering how he plays compared to how we play and how he was used at New Mexico. I think he will be a better fit at Arkansas. I think there will be more open-court possibilities for him and more shot opportunities. I'm hopefully optimistic with him.

On Bailey, I think he will be make a tremendous impact on defense. We'll just have to take whatever we get on offense, though he has shown some consistency on his mid-range jumper when left wide open. He's otherwise a garbage man on offense. Could see Chaney beat him out for a starting spot.

I am not predicting huge things for Harris with this statement. He has a lot to prove yet.

But I cannot think of ever having a pg with his speed and quickness at the point here ever. There is more to being a good player than those two aspects but this guy can really push the ball and blow past defenders in the halfcourt.

He has a highlight video of his time out in New Mexico and you can see his speed on full display against D1 players. If he can defend with that speed and quickness, we could be very good defensively. Small, quick point guards ate us up this year.

liljo

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 26, 2018, 05:00:17 pm

Oh be quiet snowflake. Sensitive much?

I'm not hating on the players. There would be hardly any offense in that lineup outside of Gafford and maybe Joe. Hall is still improving, but is not totally there yet to be a legit no. 2 scoring option. Bailey might be a decent defender, but we'll need more offense on the floor. Hopefully, Chaney can bring the "o".

OK, then, I'll be real quiet about this. 'Cause you said to.
;)
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 18, 2018, 03:27:09 pm
The level of competition Joe faced here in Arkansas may make him have to develop some at the collegiate level.

He is certainly not a bad player, but the level of competition he will be facing will be much stronger at the collegiate level, d it may take some time for him.

Stupidest post ever. He's played all over this country with elite players and against elite players. And Arkansas HS Basketball is dang good. Try something else cause Joe will play as a freshman maybe more than any of the freshman. Hopefully we get a power forward type that makes people pay for helping on Gafford.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 26, 2018, 05:07:02 pm
Not sure he should unless he improves significantly.

Jones has major talent but he better start playing harder on defense and develop a more consistent shot. I see Joe taking all of his minutes. But have not given up on Jones. He's got the tools.

Razorod

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2018, 04:34:36 pm
Update:

About the last third of this video, Chaney's Findley team is playing Embery IMG squad. You see bits of Embery and Jahmius Ramsey in it.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 26, 2018, 07:17:45 pm
Stupidest post ever. He's played all over this country with elite players and against elite players. And Arkansas HS Basketball is dang good. Try something else cause Joe will play as a freshman maybe more than any of the freshman. Hopefully we get a power forward type that makes people pay for helping on Gafford.

He did play against some decent Arkansas High School competition.

In February, Northside played at home against North Little Rock.  There was one play in which Joe went up strong, and he got flat-out rejected by a North Little Rock player.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 26, 2018, 08:20:21 pm
He did play against some decent Arkansas High School competition.

In February, Northside played at home against North Little Rock.  There was one play in which Joe went up strong, and he got flat-out rejected by a North Little Rock player.

I don't doubt that happened. Probably got fouled. LOL...You are wrong this kid is ready he will have some struggles and probably get a few more shots blocked but he's a player. Very skilled and he's legit 6-4 with long arms and he's a very  smart ball player. Plays to win very unselfish. I don't over rate kids when I have seen them in person. He's going to be an all SEC player and maybe an AA.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 26, 2018, 08:25:40 pm
I don't doubt that happened. Probably got fouled. LOL...You are wrong this kid is ready he will have some struggles and probably get a few more shots blocked but he's a player. Very skilled and he's legit 6-4 with long arms and he's a very  smart ball player. Plays to win very unselfish. I don't over rate kids when I have seen them in person. He's going to be an all SEC player and maybe an AA.

Nope, Joe did not get fouled on the play.

The local news sports anchor who was showing the footage from that game seemed very surprised that Joe got majorly rejected.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 26, 2018, 08:20:21 pm

You can't diminish a kids talent by the result of one play. I saw Jason Kidd go up strong in a high school game against Corliss and got his shot flat out rejected. That block by Corliss won the game for Russellville.

Getting your shot blocked happens to the best of players. Kidd went on to be a perennial NBA All Star and is likely to be a Hall of Famer.
Hogs up! Covid down!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 26, 2018, 08:38:19 pm
You can't diminish a kids talent by the result of one play. I saw Jason Kidd go up strong in a high school game against Corliss and got his shot flat out rejected. That block by Corliss won the game for Russellville.

Getting your shot blocked happens to the best of players. Kidd went on to be a perennial NBA All Star and is likely to be a Hall of Famer.

Point taken, but highly doubtful the North Little Rock player who rejected Joe was as good as Corliss.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 26, 2018, 08:36:32 pm
Nope, Joe did not get fouled on the play.

The local news sports anchor who was showing the footage from that game seemed very surprised that Joe got majorly rejected.

I was joking that he got fouled. Him getting rejected is not anything I am worried about and it sure doesn't make him not ready. A local news sports anchor and his thoughts don't concern me. Joe will be a more athletic version of Macon. And Macon was great for us for two years. Sure he's got work to do but you acting like he hasn't played great players in the summer and played weak comp is a joke.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 26, 2018, 08:41:25 pm
Point taken, but highly doubtful the North Little Rock player who rejected Joe was as good as Corliss.

Even average players can make highlight plays every once in awhile.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 26, 2018, 08:41:25 pm

Not as good as Corliss, but Collin Moore is 6-4 with what looks to be at least 6-8 wingspan and is one of the quickest, best leapers in the state ... I was there for all 3 FSNorthside-vs-NLR games this season, and Moore was probably the biggest reason NLR went 3-0 because he owned the paint at both ends of the floor ... had 22 pts, 13 rbs, 3 blks, 3 stls in the championship game against the Grizzlies ... Little Rock Tojans offer and Hogs have shown some interest, so he's not chopped liver.

The_Bionic_Pig

I would not be shocked to see CJ transfer this summer after the freshman arrive on campus. CJ has been THE MOST ATHLETIC guard on the roster the past 2 seasons but you would never know it.

He has handcuffed himself to being a spot up shooter and he still can't be trusted to handle the rock for more than brief spurts.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 26, 2018, 09:34:03 pm
I would not be shocked to see CJ transfer this summer after the freshman arrive on campus. CJ has been THE MOST ATHLETIC guard on the roster the past 2 seasons but you would never know it.

He has handcuffed himself to being a spot up shooter and he still can't be trusted to handle the rock for more than brief spurts.

This upsests me tremendously because he has all the tools to be an elite guard.  He has to: 1) work on his handles and 2) (and most important, imo) gain confidence in his ability to do more than just shoot set 3s. 

SSFrazorback

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 26, 2018, 04:34:36 pm
Update:

I predict we will lead the SEC in dunks.

On the topic of people transferring I think Gabe may be gone... not because he isn't a good player just think he has more talent in front of him.

I don't think CJ will transfer this off season, I think he'll start get get passed over as the season progresses. He may be gone next off season.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: SSFrazorback on March 26, 2018, 09:54:59 pm

On the topic of people transferring I think Gabe may be gone... not because he isn't a good player just think he has more talent in front of him.

I don't think CJ will transfer this off season, I think he'll start get get passed over as the season progresses. He may be gone next off season.

He's a Junior next season...if he wants PT at a D-1 program he will have to redshirt...so it's most likely this season or not at all.

He can always go D-2 and gain immediate eligibility.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

daprospecta

Quote from: SSFrazorback on March 26, 2018, 09:54:59 pm

I don't think you let you Gabe go.  You need defensive guys who do the dirty work. Think Nicky Davis.  Gabe is probably our best defender right now.

SSFrazorback

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 26, 2018, 10:01:45 pm
He's a Junior next season...if he wants PT at a D-1 program he will have to redshirt...so it's most likely this season or not at all.

He can always go D-2 and gain immediate eligibility.
Good point. He really has to make that decision this off season.

SSFrazorback

Quote from: daprospecta on March 26, 2018, 10:05:55 pm
I don't think you let you Gabe go.  You need defensive guys who do the dirty work. Think Nicky Davis.  Gabe is probably our best defender right now.

I like Gabe but I don't see him passing Chaney or Bailey on the depth chart.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: ballinhog on March 22, 2018, 04:35:33 pm

Actually, the'16, 17 and 18 class.  The 16 class had Barford and Macon.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 26, 2018, 04:07:13 pm
Harris
Joe/Embery
Hall
Bailey
Gafford

This, but I'm leaning towards Joe starting.  They'll need that scoring in their starting lineup, not like Emberey can't score! I hear he shoots the three pretty well too.  I think from KM.