Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Today's Bielema, Enos, and Rhoads PC's

Started by ricepig, August 16, 2017, 11:49:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HouSwine

bennyl08

I like his comment that being under recruited can lead to you not being recruited as much.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 16, 2017, 12:40:42 pm
I like his comment that being under recruited can lead to you not being recruited as much.

Maybe that isn't how he said it. It is written by a third party as opposed to being video and audio where we can actually see it and hear it. On the other hand, I have heard him say some things at times where I kinda went, "huh"?
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 16, 2017, 12:45:26 pm
Maybe that isn't how he said it. It is written by a third party as opposed to being video and audio where we can actually see it and hear it. On the other hand, I have heard him say some things at times where I kinda went, "huh"?

Even if he said it exactly as reported, there is some sense to it. There can be a positive feedback loop with recruitment. If you aren't being heavily recruited to begin with, it can lead to even less recruitment in the future and if you are getting offers from lots of schools, it can lead to even more taking a look at you and offering. Still, I got a laugh out of reading that.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

supersaint

I know preseason optimism always runs high.  When I was playing, I once made the obligatory "we're gonna surprise people this year" comment in a preseason interview. We proceeded to go 4-7.  Lol.

Having said that, there's lots of things in the coaches' comments to find hope in.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

ricepig

Quote from: supersaint on August 16, 2017, 01:02:44 pm
I know preseason optimism always runs high.  When I was playing, I once made the obligatory "we're gonna surprise people this year" comment in a preseason interview. We proceeded to go 4-7.  Lol.

Having said that, there's lots of things in the coaches' comments to find hope in.

Not all surprises are good, surely you've lifted a cheek before and..............

supersaint

Quote from: ricepig on August 16, 2017, 01:32:22 pm
Not all surprises are good, surely you've lifted a cheek before and..............

Almost daily. 
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

TebowHater

Good news: Put Blake Johnson on the spot today and he booted two 55 yard punts. Said he's very confident there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 16, 2017, 12:49:02 pm
Even if he said it exactly as reported, there is some sense to it. There can be a positive feedback loop with recruitment. If you aren't being heavily recruited to begin with, it can lead to even less recruitment in the future and if you are getting offers from lots of schools, it can lead to even more taking a look at you and offering. Still, I got a laugh out of reading that.

He listed good reasons why kids are sometimes overlooked and then sometimes they aren't overlooked particularly if the feedback a school gets is that the player's mind is already made up. That's also a good reason as to why kids sometimes have a lower "star" ranking from some of the services. Big name schools aren't recruiting them hard because they think the kid has already made a decision so the recruiting services don't fairly evaluate them, thinking they aren't that good if a bunch of "name" schools aren't after them. Ehh, but these are things that I think most everybody is aware of when it comes to recruiting.
Go Hogs Go!

Großer Kriegschwein

I certainly hope Rhoads is correct. We definitely need to play faster as a unit on defense.
This is my non-signature signature.

Andrew Hogfan

"Devwah Whaley is faster than Rawleigh Williams and Chase Hayden is faster than all of them."

That's what I've been waiting to see.  I miss having a running back that doesn't get caught from behind.
  Also,  high school coaches saying Hayden works twice as hard as Hunter is exciting.  I remember Hunters team mates raving about his work ethic.

WPS!!!

The Kig

Quote from: supersaint on August 16, 2017, 01:02:44 pm

Surprise m...!  Some fries... -James Doakes

Poker Porker

longpig

Yeh, BB messes up his words of wisdom and cliches more often than not. That's alright.
Don't be scared, be smart.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: longpig on August 16, 2017, 04:33:09 pm
Yeh, BB messes up his words of wisdom and cliches more often than not. That's alright.

But he didn't, the writer did. Go up to the link and listen to the presser. Not that Bielema hasn't screwed up in the past, but he didn't on this occasion.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

I wasn't going to let the hype train affect me this year, but it is. Really looking forward to this season.

HamSammich

Quote from: gchamblee on August 16, 2017, 05:20:00 pm
I wasn't going to let the hype train affect me this year, but it is. Really looking forward to this season.
lol. I got the impression that train ran year long.

onebadrubi

I questioned you the other day on Wallace at RT.  After Enos comments, I'm stil mot sure he's a lock there. 

bennyl08

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 16, 2017, 07:00:28 pm
I questioned you the other day on Wallace at RT.  After Enos comments, I'm stil mot sure he's a lock there.

Yeah, I noticed that in this presser. Lock may be too strong a word, but he still has 10 consecutive starts and nobody else from anything I've seen has been taking any of his reps on the first team yet. I guess we'll find out sometime this coming week if anything changes.

Begs the question, what are the ramifications if Wallace isn't the starter? Keep in mind, Jackson started the first two games as RT last year and was replaced by Wallace. So, up through January of this year, Wallace was better as a tackle than Jackson. If Wallace ends up not starting, do we put somebody else at RT? Or do we put Wallace in at RT and place somebody else at LT? Ramirez would presumably be the next up at tackle. He can play left or right. I think his superior athleticism has him better suited on the left, but perhaps for continuity sake, it would be best to keep Colton on the left and play Ramirez on the right. Again, this is all assuming that Wallace loses his starting spot, which to date, hasn't been threatened yet.

daBoar

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 16, 2017, 07:00:28 pm
Makes me wonder what inconsistent means. Inconsistent versus what; Ragnow's performance?

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: ricepig on August 16, 2017, 01:32:22 pm

I don't know whether to admit that I don't know what comes next here!  Maybe it's a good thing I don't?
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on August 16, 2017, 08:01:07 pm
I don't know whether to admit that I don't know what comes next here!  Maybe it's a good thing I don't?

When you get older you'll understand that you can't always trust what the outcome will be.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: longpig on August 16, 2017, 04:33:09 pm
People in glass houses sink ships. Don't cross the street if you can't get out of the kitchen.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on August 16, 2017, 08:27:12 pm
When you get older you'll understand that you can't always trust what the outcome will be.

Ah, I get it now.  I was misunderstanding "lift a cheek."  I had physically lifting one with your hand.  I just...I get it now.

And I'm old enough, I promise :)
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

hawginbigd1

As I have said since last season, the defense will be miles ahead of last year because first and foremost there are better athletes in the front 7. Secondary will be better, safety I am still Leary of being good enough. The Freshman are exciting but let's see it on the field.

onebadrubi

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 16, 2017, 07:08:52 pm
Yeah, I noticed that in this presser. Lock may be too strong a word, but he still has 10 consecutive starts and nobody else from anything I've seen has been taking any of his reps on the first team yet. I guess we'll find out sometime this coming week if anything changes.

Begs the question, what are the ramifications if Wallace isn't the starter? Keep in mind, Jackson started the first two games as RT last year and was replaced by Wallace. So, up through January of this year, Wallace was better as a tackle than Jackson. If Wallace ends up not starting, do we put somebody else at RT? Or do we put Wallace in at RT and place somebody else at LT? Ramirez would presumably be the next up at tackle. He can play left or right. I think his superior athleticism has him better suited on the left, but perhaps for continuity sake, it would be best to keep Colton on the left and play Ramirez on the right. Again, this is all assuming that Wallace loses his starting spot, which to date, hasn't been threatened yet.

Your second paragraph is very confusing. 

Jackson seems to be a lock at LT.

southeasthog

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 16, 2017, 07:08:52 pm

Begs the question, what are the ramifications if Wallace isn't the starter? Keep in mind, Jackson started the first two games as RT last year and was replaced by Wallace. So, up through January of this year, Wallace was better as a tackle than Jackson. If Wallace ends up not starting, do we put somebody else at RT? Or do we put Wallace Jackson in at RT and place somebody else at LT? Ramirez would presumably be the next up at tackle. He can play left or right. I think his superior athleticism has him better suited on the left, but perhaps for continuity sake, it would be best to keep Colton on the left and play Ramirez on the right. Again, this is all assuming that Wallace loses his starting spot, which to date, hasn't been threatened yet.

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 16, 2017, 10:38:44 pm
Your second paragraph is very confusing. 

Jackson seems to be a lock at LT.

I think this is what he meant to type.

Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

nwahogfan1

I loved when Coach Rhoads said he wanted his players first and foremost to play fast and not be so concerned about adding weight.  He said the added weight would come slowly but only if the player can keep that speed and agility. 

I think so many times in the last 3 or 4 years our coaches and fans were looking at weight and strength  gain while missing on the importance of agility, quickness and speed.   So many times teams we played with smaller quicker athletes would make us look silly in space. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: southeasthog on August 17, 2017, 04:36:21 am
I think this is what he meant to type.

Jackson solidified LT.  they talk about RT options in the presser and Jackson was t one of them. Merrick and clary were. 

bennyl08

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 17, 2017, 08:22:44 am
Jackson solidified LT.  they talk about RT options in the presser and Jackson was t one of them. Merrick and clary were.

Jackson had solidified the LT last season last year as well, until he suddenly didn't. Jackson was also the first choice for RT last year but lost the battle to Wallace.

So far, Jackson hasn't been talked about at RT again, but you never know. Wallace had been a lock and solidified the RT position all this off season until recently.

Merrick at tackle? Went back and watched his highlights and I guess I was thinking of somebody else. I swear I remember that there was some OL who came in from JUCO that was really strong, but a bit too big and really slow as well with a last name that started with an 'm' and I confused him, Merrick, and Malone. I thought it might be malone, but he isn't even 3 bills so no idea who I was remembering.

King Kong

Bielema has mentioned in previous press conferences that Jackson is a much better LT than RT. He is on mentioned him as one of those player that doesn't play each side of the line well. Merrick was another example he plays the right side of the line but better than the left. Raulerson was mentioned as a guy that can play either side of the equally as well.

Raulerson was also meantioned as a possible RT option if Wallace doesn't pick it up. But IMO they are trying to motivate Wallace, but ain't nobody taking his starting spot

theFlyingHog

Quote from: King Kong on August 17, 2017, 03:14:34 pm
Bielema has mentioned in previous press conferences that Jackson is a much better LT than RT. He is on mentioned him as one of those player that doesn't play each side of the line well. Merrick was another example he plays the right side of the line but better than the left. Raulerson was mentioned as a guy that can play either side of the equally as well.

Raulerson was also meantioned as a possible RT option if Wallace doesn't pick it up. But IMO they are trying to motivate Wallace, but ain't nobody taking his starting spot
From this discussion it sounds like we will struggle at OL again this year. It's really frustrating to have issues at the head coach's most important position

HogHomer

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 17, 2017, 03:59:07 pm
From this discussion it sounds like we will struggle at OL again this year. It's really frustrating to have issues at the head coach's most important position
How? They aren't shuffling players around like last year. We've seen Wallace has the ability to play in the SEC they just see an all world player who just can't break through to that upper tier of player yet. So they are trying to motivate him because honestly that has been his main problem. Motivation to be the best.

bennyl08

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 17, 2017, 03:59:07 pm

Never a good idea to be literally frustrated at something you are making up in your own head. Truthfully, even if your assumptions end up being true, which I strongly doubt, you really shouldn't allow any negative emotions from actions that you control over the results of people you don't even know.

Keep in mind, we've heard nothing bad about Colton at LT this off-season. Froholdt is on pre-season watch lists for the best interior linemen in the country right next to Ragnow. We all saw his mental troubles last year, and the national perception of him is that he is a realistic candidate to be among the best interior OL. Ragnow is listed as the best center and a pre-season all american. Gibson did solidly for us last year, had some off the field issues he worked out in the spring and is back as a projected starter. Wallace has done well this off-season but not as well as coaches think he can be.

Worst case scenario, Froholdt becomes half the player the national pundits think he will become which would still be a significant improvement on mental mistakes from last year. Ragnow is Ragnow. Gibson and Wallace haven't improved at all and are just as good/bad as they were last year, and Jackson is serviceable at LT, but about the same as the LT's we've had with Kirkland and Skipper. That would still be a slight improvement from last year (and keep in mind, this is basically a worst case scenario), and last year we were still good enough to have the SEC's leading regular season rusher as well as Austin being rated as the best qb in the SEC by PFF and statistically was at worst arguably the best in the SEC as well.

Realistic scenario is that Froholdt has made really good improvements in his game and may not win any post season awards but will justify his name being on the pre-season watch lists, probably making 2nd team all-sec type of thing. Ragnow will be Ragnow and win the best center award. Gibson and Wallace will likely improve in their second years as starters. Not realistic in the worst case scenario to assume that they will remain static. Last, but not least, Jackson was who they wanted at LT last year, but he just didn't have enough of the mental game yet. He is more athletically suited for the position that Skipper or Kirkland were. He'll make mistakes in his first year with significant starts, but we'll see at least a small uptick in performance. Further, keep in mind that this is Anderson's second year here, and from reports from fanonthehill, he's had time to really mold the OL players which he was only in the process of doing last year, working with three very green players. This year, everybody on the OL has at least 2 starts under their belt and 4/5 major starters return and are playing the same positions on the OL. It would be a major upset the likes of ULM if the OL isn't significantly improved.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HamSammich on August 16, 2017, 06:25:34 pm
lol. I got the impression that train ran year long.
and then I hang my head and cry...

daBoar

Quote from: King Kong on August 17, 2017, 03:14:34 pm
But IMO they are trying to motivate Wallace, but ain't nobody taking his starting spot
I concur.  CBB did not say that Wallace was being demoted; rather he implied the others might be better than he expected.