Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Frank Broyles has passed away

Started by ricepig, August 14, 2017, 01:29:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sivad

Whenever and wherever the Hogs are Called this great man Coach Frank Broyles will be remembered.

Headhog32

EastTexasHog

DLUXHOG

Quote from: EastTexasHog on August 14, 2017, 08:12:32 pm
College Football Treasure

well... he is now in the presence of Almighty God...   Frank's the Hog's #1 fan and I'll bet he bends the Lord's ear to get Him to love the Hogs as much as Frank and all of us do....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

pignparadise

In 1944 when he was SEC player of the year, he set the Orange Bowl record for passing  yards that wasn't broken until 2000 by Tom Brady. Think about that.  He was drafted by Mlb, NBA, and NFL. He turned them all down to be a coach.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Laughing Hog

"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

TheRazorback500

RIP Coach. Prayers up for the family.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogCzar1

Thanks, Coach Broyles for what you did for our University, and our state. Prayers to the family. A real sad day for the Razorback Nation.

razCzar

Coach Broyles has been a steadying presense in my life for over a half century.  No man is more responsible for my attending the UofA and becoming a life-long Razorback.  Behind only my Dad, I admired him from afar as a father figure.  So I've shed a few tears at his passing and the tremendous void felt without him. 

My deepest condolences to the family.  And rest in peace, Coach.  You were a Giant in life - and forever more.

ckhawgu

RIP, Coach Broyles. Prayers for those in mourning and thanks for all that you did for the UofA & the people of Arkansas.

hogfan14

I'd like to see us put JFB on the back of our helmets this year to dedicate it to him

Hollywood_HOGan45

Awsome awsome giant of an individual.  Successful in everything he did.

Signed my 1964 helmet during a timeout at the Kentucky vs Arkansas gane and also took a selfie with my daughter. Great man.

Justifiable Hogicide

No one has ever done more for a school and a state than Coach Frank Broyles.
How fortunate Arkansas is that he picked us to devote his life work too.
Mr. Razorback - we are forever grateful.

hamsam

God bless and comfort the Broyles family. I know that Coach Broyles was an innovator and a great teacher. He impacted the game of football more than he will ever be given credit for.
I am so fortunate to have briefly shared his company, along with Paul Eells, on a couple of occasions.
RIP men...
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

razCzar

In Memory of John Franklin Broyles (1924-2017)
                                    Your Memory and Legacy Endure

https://www.broylesfoundation.com/
A Celebration of the Life of Coach Frank Broyles will be held this Saturday, August 19 at 2 p.m. at Bud Walton Arena on the University of Arkansas campus. The celebration is open to the public.  Additional details regarding the celebration will be released later this week via www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com.

LZH

Impossible to overestimate what he did for this program.

razCzar

BossHog13

Sad day. Rest in peace, Coach Broyles. Arkansas will NEVER be the same without you! WPS!!!

HognitiveDissonance

What man in college athletics is as synonomous with a program as Frank Broyles was to Arkansas?

I can't think of one.

Frank Broyles WAS the Razorbacks. In many ways, he was also 'Arkansas' to the outside world, until Bill Clinton came along.

We knew this day was coming, but still sad.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: oldfart on August 14, 2017, 03:05:29 pm
many are not aware of his own athletic abilities... he was All-SEC in football, basketball, and baseball at Georgia Tech and was drafted by an NBA team.....
Golf Digest mentioned how he was playing 36 holes at Augusta National in a day as recently as a few years ago.

Also held the Orange Bowl passing record of 304 yards for nearly 50 years.

HognitiveDissonance

One word that best describes him:

Visionary

Westcoasthog

Frank was a great friend of mine - I cherish the memories of him.

MakeHogsGreatAgain

Thank you for all you've done Coach. You will be sorely missed. You simply cannot replace a man like him.
May the Broyles family find peace and be comforted during this time in their lives.

ChitownHawg

A big piece of my childhood passed away today. Rest in Peace Coach Broyles.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

razCzar

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 15, 2017, 04:36:32 am
A big piece of my childhood passed away today. Rest in Peace Coach Broyles.
My feelings exactly.

Reading this might make a big 'piece' of that come flooding back...

Broyles produced glory days for Arkansas football / Clay Henry
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/aug/14/broyles-produced-glory-days-arkansas-football/

nchogg

Coach Broyles loved Arkansas. He will be missed. Go Hogs!

Dwight_K_Shrute

I too was one that got a bit upset in the last days. But now it will just be fond memories and an undying appreciation for what he has done for Razorback Athletics, The University of Arkansas, and the state of Arkansas.  They are all intertwined and Frank Broyles helped lift all 3 above our perceived station.

We moved my daughter into her dorm at the UofA last Saturday.  As I was lugging boxes I marveled at how nice her dorm (The Quad) is compared to what I stayed in almost 30 years ago (Yocum for life).  The campus and buildings in general are gorgeous.  The UofA should be a source of pride for all in the state.  I believe Frank played an enormous role in not only transforming athletics but the university.  One fed the other.  His positive energy and resourcefulness permeated that campus.

I, like Frank, am an adopted Arkansan.  Wasn't born here, didn't move here until I was 13.  Thought I wanted to go back to Florida for college, was there a semester, hated it.  Transferred to the UofA.  Left again for work, came back 10 years later, got my MBA, and now refuse to leave.  My boss gets so pissed at me because I won't leave.  I would find another job, or work two if I had to.  The Razorbacks and the University are a big reason why I won't leave again.  I love them both dearly.  I still get goosebumps whenever I'm on campus.  Reflecting on that bond I see Frank Broyle's fingerprints all over it.  I guess that's why yesterday while I was sitting in an airport I felt a little lump in my throat and fought back tears as I read of his passing.  I wasn't saddened just in awe of the impact he had on everything and everyone.  Frank Broyles, wasn't perfect, none of us are, but that doesn't diminish his accomplishments, and the positive impact he had on this state.  Can't wait to go pay my respects and celebrate his life at BWA on Saturday.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Michael D Huff AIA

As part of the coaching staff for an opposing team, Frank Broyles came to Fayetteville for a game and fell in love with NWA.  He saw it as his dream job before NWA had grown to the stature that it is today.  This should be a lesson to every young man or woman; go get that thing that your heart tells you to get and do it with undying passion like Mr. Broyles did.

To call Frank Broyles a legend is a bit of an understatement.  His legacy will live on in Fayetteville for generations.

Psychohog

I heard him speak once to a group of supporters at a breakfast before a football game. We were still new to the SEC and struggling a bit. I remember him getting all fired up, and us as well, saying  "we WILL beat Alabama, we WILL beat Tennessee...." I got goosebumps. Good-bye to a great coach and a fine gentleman.
Never smarten up a chump.

EastexHawg

Quote from: pignparadise on August 14, 2017, 08:17:37 pm
In 1944 when he was SEC player of the year, he set the Orange Bowl record for passing  yards that wasn't broken until 2000 by Tom Brady. Think about that.  He was drafted by Mlb, NBA, and NFL. He turned them all down to be a coach.

Some men simply excel in all they do.  Coach Broyles was one of those men.  He was a great player, coach, commentator, fundraiser, athletic director, and visionary.  He even presented the green jacket at the Masters!  In short, he was a great man, probably the largest figure in the entire history of the state of Arkansas.  I met him as a teenager when he spoke at my school's all sports banquet and thought he was larger than life, a giant...both in physical stature and in his mere presence.  I still do.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 15, 2017, 08:39:02 am
I too was one that got a bit upset in the last days. But now it will just be fond memories and an undying appreciation for what he has done for Razorback Athletics, The University of Arkansas, and the state of Arkansas.  They are all intertwined and Frank Broyles helped lift all 3 above our perceived station.

We moved my daughter into her dorm at the UofA last Saturday.  As I was lugging boxes I marveled at how nice her dorm (The Quad) is compared to what I stayed in almost 30 years ago (Yocum for life).  The campus and buildings in general are gorgeous.  The UofA should be a source of pride for all in the state.  I believe Frank played an enormous role in not only transforming athletics but the university.  One fed the other.  His positive energy and resourcefulness permeated that campus.

I, like Frank, am an adopted Arkansan.  Wasn't born here, didn't move here until I was 13.  Thought I wanted to go back to Florida for college, was there a semester, hated it.  Transferred to the UofA.  Left again for work, came back 10 years later, got my MBA, and now refuse to leave.  My boss gets so pissed at me because I won't leave.  I would find another job, or work two if I had to.  The Razorbacks and the University are a big reason why I won't leave again.  I love them both dearly.  I still get goosebumps whenever I'm on campus.  Reflecting on that bond I see Frank Broyle's fingerprints all over it.  I guess that's why yesterday while I was sitting in an airport I felt a little lump in my throat and fought back tears as I read of his passing.  I wasn't saddened just in awe of the impact he had on everything and everyone.  Frank Broyles, wasn't perfect, none of us are, but that doesn't diminish his accomplishments, and the positive impact he had on this state.  Can't wait to go pay my respects and celebrate his life at BWA on Saturday.
Isn't it neat and amazing how that common theme runs continuously---people like yourself, Broyles, recruits, countless others...some of them reluctantly come here. They have this impression in their mind. Then how many of those people refuse to leave? There is something about Arkansas---the downhome, friendly people and the beautiful mountains, streams, and greenery, the mild climate, fresh air, that hooks them to stay here.

You hear that same story over and over.

Or a guy like Chris Mortenson. Ten years later, and Alex is long gone, and he's still here. Yes, he's sick now, but here's a guy who really 'should' live in a more metro-area considering the job he does, but he hasn't left yet.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 14, 2017, 01:31:57 pm
And another part of many of our childhoods is claimed by the great equalizer.

So true.. but thankfully, Hog futures are selling at high prices because of those childhood memories...

Inhogswetrust

Nice post! There are a LOT of names in those sidewalks on campus because of Frank Broyles. Some of them weren't even athletes. In some ways even mine. Thanks Coach!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rljjr

Does anyone know of a place to see Frank's prayer during the Orange Bowl in 78? I've heard it is something to behold but I can't find the link.

elksnort

Great post. Sort of interesting with your post, I was born in Jonesboro (live here now), but grew up in South Florida.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: razCzar on August 15, 2017, 06:25:49 am
My feelings exactly.

Reading this might make a big 'piece' of that come flooding back...

Broyles produced glory days for Arkansas football / Clay Henry
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/aug/14/broyles-produced-glory-days-arkansas-football/

Good read.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Jek Tono Porkins

I'm very saddened to hear the news. The state of Arkansas and the college athletics community as a whole is indebted to him to an astronomical degree.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

DeepFreeze

August 16, 2017, 02:39:20 am #139 Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:19:23 am by DeepFreeze
When I was in school on the hill, while I would see him, I only talked to him once.  I just happened to be walking down the stairs near the Complex, and just so happened Frank was right beside me....don't know why he was even walking down those stairs.  He says to me, 'so you on the track team?'...then he thought football.  I told him, 'no sir, I'm here for Chemical Engineering'.....and his response was classic.  He said, 'yeah that might work out better for you'.

He really was a nice guy, I was a kid and he spoke first and talked to me anyway.  RIP Coach.

razCzar

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 16, 2017, 12:41:07 am
I'm very saddened to hear the news. The state of Arkansas and the college athletics community as a whole is indebted to him to an astronomical degree.
I should say!  In strictly financial terms, his economic impact on Arkansas was right at 3 BILLION.

Frank Broyles was the undisputed Boss Hog
http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/08/frank_broyles_was_the_undisput_1.html

When Broyles retired as AD, the school's Center for Business and Economic Research in the Sam M. Walton College of Business was commissioned by the Fayetteville Economic Development Council to measure Broyles' economic impact on the state from the time he was hired as football coach.

The study determined in that 50-year period, Broyles was responsible for the generation of $2,952,882,273 in economic output. It equated to the generation of an average of 2,285.2 jobs per year.

Arkamedes

"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

razCzar

Is his funeral today?

Are any of you attending?