Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the status of Arlando Cook?

Started by redleg, October 10, 2017, 02:16:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

So what is the status of Arlando Cook? I know he is suspended, but when/if will he return?
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

rzrbackramsfan

navyhog24

Quote from: redleg on October 10, 2017, 02:16:32 pm
So what is the status of Arlando Cook? I know he is suspended, but when/if will he return?

I think they're still waiting on the legal process to work itself out

Polecat

the status is don't start a fight with him
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Hog-Corleone

This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

HawgsPolo

I'm predicting he misses the first 3 games of the season.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

The_Iceman

MakingPlays

Quote from: HawgsPolo on October 10, 2017, 04:39:53 pm
I'm predicting he misses the first 3 games of the season.

I'm going to guess a 5 game suspension (Exhibition games included), and he's available for the Portland tournament.

MakingPlays

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 10, 2017, 04:49:19 pm
3rd string PF and Center.

He's definitely 3rd string now, but we don't know where he would have been if he didn't get suspended.  It's not unusual for a JUCO player to have a big jump in their second year.  Regardless, I still think Cook will be a contributor at some point this year, he's our best defender at the 4 spot, Coach Anderson had him in last year to close defensive possessions, I could see a similar role for him this year. 

Fan701

We'll be a better team with Cook.  He wasn't brilliant last year by any means, but he was usually solid on defense.  He plays hard and has size, should be improved this year.  He's suffered too much disparagement on this site, in my opinion.  He certainly did something stupid and deserves to be suspended.  Once he's paid the price for what he did, which I'm guessing will be anywhere from three to six games, we should welcome him back.

hogwood

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 10, 2017, 04:54:43 pm
He's definitely 3rd string now, but we don't know where he would have been if he didn't get suspended.  It's not unusual for a JUCO player to have a big jump in their second year.  Regardless, I still think Cook will be a contributor at some point this year, he's our best defender at the 4 spot, Coach Anderson had him in last year to close defensive possessions, I could see a similar role for him this year.

I think Bailey beats him out for best defender at the 4.

Hawg Red

It will surprise me if Mike has a kid two years and he gets arrested both years and stays on the team. Just don't see like something Mike will put up with, and rightfully so.

mhuff

Think it would have happened if it was going to

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 10, 2017, 08:02:53 pm
It will surprise me if Mike has a kid two years and he gets arrested both years and stays on the team. Just don't see like something Mike will put up with, and rightfully so.

Coach A said that he was going to let the legal system take its course and then he would determine Cooks punishment.
Hogs up! Covid down!

MakingPlays

Quote from: hogwood on October 10, 2017, 05:34:45 pm
I think Bailey beats him out for best defender at the 4.

Bailey played good defense in the final game against UNC, however Cook did it for the entire year.  He was in all the lineups when we needed stops on the defensive end.  And we haven't seen them play this year, but as of last year Cook was the better defender and Coach Anderson echoed those sentiments, constantly calling Cook "A glue guy" and a guy that "fixes things on defense." 

People forget how sought after Cook was coming out of JUCO.  He had one of the best offer lists out of any JUCO player in the nation for the 2016 class.  Several high majors wanted him.  Just because he didn't have a great first year, doesn't mean he wouldn't be drastically improved his second year.  Just look at Jabril Durham's first and second year difference.  He couldn't even make a layup his first year, and his second year became one of the better pure PGs we've had in recent history.

The_Iceman

At the 4, the competition for playing time is between Cook and Thomas. Bailey is playing no matter what.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 11, 2017, 05:34:27 am
At the 4, the competition for playing time is between Cook and Thomas. Bailey is playing no matter what.
actually it is probably Thomas that is playing no matter what, just like last year, Bailey played a lot in 1 game which was the UNC game and I hope he improved a lot this year.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

The_Iceman

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on October 11, 2017, 06:37:14 am
actually it is probably Thomas that is playing no matter what, just like last year, Bailey played a lot in 1 game which was the UNC game and I hope he improved a lot this year.

He has. Defensively he is now the best of the three. And overall now he is the best.

http://amp.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/oct/09/adrio-bailey-ready-assume-bigger-role/

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 10, 2017, 08:49:05 pm
Coach A said that he was going to let the legal system take its course and then he would determine Cooks punishment.

I'm aware. I think if the whole thing somehow goes away, Cook will stay. If not, I think he'll be removed from the team. But I could be completely wrong and he just gets suspended. I'm a little surprised Mike hasn't already removed him. His (Cook) off-the-court decision-making has been suboptimal at best.

Then again, as I type this, I'm remembering back to Madden getting suspended every year he was a Hog, so maybe I'm giving Mike a little too much credit here. ("Giving him too much credit" meaning he just isn't doing what I'd do, wasn't a slight or anything because it's his program.)

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 11, 2017, 08:53:36 am
Then again, as I type this, I'm remembering back to Madden getting suspended every year he was a Hog, so maybe I'm giving Mike a little too much credit here. ("Giving him too much credit" meaning he just isn't doing what I'd do, wasn't a slight or anything because it's his program.)

Then again, you might have done the exact same thing that he has if you were privy to all of the information that he took into consideration that you don't know about.
Hogs up! Covid down!

redleg

If Anderson is going to let the legal process play out, I will not be surprised if Cook is either dismissed from the team, or if he doesn't play until early January.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

The_Bionic_Pig

AC is lucky this is his Senior year or Mike would have moved along and utilized that scholarship towards a late spring addition or 2019.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Dwight_K_Shrute

Is he practicing with the team? If not is he allowed to use the facilities on his own?  Just curious as to the details. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Polecat

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 12, 2017, 10:49:07 am
Is he practicing with the team? If not is he allowed to use the facilities on his own?  Just curious as to the details. 

Yes I would like to know this as well
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

King Kong

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 12, 2017, 10:49:07 am

No and yes

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 11, 2017, 10:13:54 am
Then again, you might have done the exact same thing that he has if you were privy to all of the information that he took into consideration that you don't know about.

I don't really care who started the fight. Cook was out there drunk, again, and got arrested. What am I missing?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: King Kong on October 12, 2017, 11:33:56 am
No and yes

Ok, at least he isn't totally cut off while his status is up in the air.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 12, 2017, 12:38:19 pm
Ok, at least he isn't totally cut off while his status is up in the air.

Back from the dead...

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 10, 2017, 02:20:56 pm
My bet is on him returning.

One prediction down, lets all hope that my prediction in my sig line comes true now. 

MountieDawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 12, 2017, 12:20:29 pm
I don't really care who started the fight. Cook was out there drunk, again, and got arrested. What am I missing?

Discipline doesn't matter when you are short on bigs!
SEC!

Hog Fan from Camden

HoopS

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 21, 2017, 06:16:06 pm
Discipline doesn't matter when you are short on bigs!
you guys sit on here & act like you have a better handle on the team than our coaches. I see people get all worked up about BS that they don't even really know about. Some of you are miserable people who just like to hear yourselves talk.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on October 21, 2017, 08:16:41 pm
you guys sit on here & act like you have a better handle on the team than our coaches. I see people get all worked up about BS that they don't even really know about. Some of you are miserable people who just like to hear yourselves talk.

Sounds like you are the one worked up at the thought of someone having an opinion different than your own. That's all too common these days, I guess.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 21, 2017, 08:44:34 pm
Sounds like you are the one worked up at the thought of someone having an opinion different than your own. That's all too common these days, I guess.

CMA said that, after more information came to light, he decided to allow Cook to come back to the team. He is still waiting for the legal case to be resolved before making a final decision.

CMA is making an informed decision and he has information you don't. Not sure why you are second guessing.
Hogs up! Covid down!

mhuff

Quote from: HoopS on October 21, 2017, 08:16:41 pm

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 21, 2017, 08:49:32 pm
CMA said that, after more information came to light, he decided to allow Cook to come back to the team. He is still waiting for the legal case to be resolved before making a final decision.

CMA is making an informed decision and he has information you don't. Not sure why you are second guessing.

What information excuses being out drunk (again) fighting? Unless Mike has found out that it wasn't Arlando Cook and they arrested the wrong guy, I don't see how you give this kid a pass after he already broke into someone else's car while drunk and passed out last year. Trouble seems to find this kid. Want to tell me I don't know the whole story, fine. Whatever. Most players don't get into trouble like Cook has.

HoopS

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 21, 2017, 08:44:34 pm
I don't mind different opinions. I trust coach. You don't. That's fine.

razorback1829

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 21, 2017, 09:21:45 pm
What information excuses being out drunk (again) fighting? Unless Mike has found out that it wasn't Arlando Cook and they arrested the wrong guy, I don't see how you give this kid a pass after he already broke into someone else's car while drunk and passed out last year. Trouble seems to find this kid. Want to tell me I don't know the whole story, fine. Whatever. Most players don't get into trouble like Cook has.

You have no context to what happened and what control Cook had in the situation. So pipedown and get off your moral high stool. A lot more than you think happened. Coach A has a handle on it all.

Hawg Red

Quote from: razorback1829 on October 21, 2017, 10:25:49 pm
You have no context to what happened and what control Cook had in the situation. So pipedown and get off your moral high stool. A lot more than you think happened. Coach A has a handle on it all.

Like what? Enlighten me on what happened. I'm interested to hear what stripped Cook of his control to mount someone and pound their face. And what made him be out in public drunk again after getting arrested for it the previous year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on October 21, 2017, 10:13:20 pm
I don't mind different opinions. I trust coach. You don't. That's fine.

Go back and read my previous post towards the top of the thread before you put words in my mouth.

HoopS

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 22, 2017, 09:07:14 am
Go back and read my previous post towards the top of the thread before you put words in my mouth.
I just read it. It doesn't seem like he'd keep a guy like him on the team and rightfully so according to you.

You don't know the full details. He's keeping him and you wouldn't. What am I missing?

Swinesong1

razorback1829

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 22, 2017, 09:06:15 am
Like what? Enlighten me on what happened. I'm interested to hear what stripped Cook of his control to mount someone and pound their face. And what made him be out in public drunk again after getting arrested for it the previous year.

"Be out in public drunk." Lol listen to you. He's a kid who got jumped out of nowhere.. like I said, you know nothing.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on October 22, 2017, 09:32:31 am
I just read it. It doesn't seem like he'd keep a guy like him on the team and rightfully so according to you.

You don't know the full details. He's keeping him and you wouldn't. What am I missing?

Just because I wouldn't keep him doesn't mean I don't trust Mike. It's not my basketball program, it's his. All I've stated is my opinion. People can't handle it.

Hawg Red

Quote from: razorback1829 on October 22, 2017, 10:20:24 am
"Be out in public drunk." Lol listen to you. He's a kid who got jumped out of nowhere.. like I said, you know nothing.

He seems like a magnet for trouble. I know that. I know there was a beef between the two involved.

HoopS

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 22, 2017, 11:19:46 am
Just because I wouldn't keep him doesn't mean I don't trust Mike. It's not my basketball program, it's his. All I've stated is my opinion. People can't handle it.
Yeah ok. 

rzrbackramsfan

I'll defend Hawg Red here and yall know I'm as big of a CMA supporter as there is.  If we were looking down the barrel of a 16-16 season, I bet Mike removes Cook to make an example out of him.

I mean, he suspended Jacorrey for just about the same thing, however Jacorrey and cooks situations are a little different.

Whether it's the difference of the situations or the fact that CMA doesn't want to mess up a potentially historic season on a borderline removal from the program case,  we'll probably never know why he suspended Jacorrey and not Cook. 

Swinesong1

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 22, 2017, 12:03:15 pm
I'll defend Hawg Red here and yall know I'm as big of a CMA supporter as there is.  If we were looking down the barrel of a 16-16 season, I bet Mike removes Cook to make an example out of him.

I mean, he suspended Jacorrey for just about the same thing, however Jacorrey and cooks situations are a little different.

Whether it's the difference of the situations or the fact that CMA doesn't want to mess up a potentially historic season on a borderline removal from the program case,  we'll probably never know why he suspended Jacorrey and not Cook.
Cook hit a woman?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 22, 2017, 11:19:46 am

It kinda seems more like you can't handle when your opinion is called for bull darn.