Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas gets a $40.9 million payment for the 2016-17 season

Started by Con el Cerdos, February 01, 2018, 06:02:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

steveaustin69

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 01:01:51 pm
OK, so now I know what level character I'm dealing with.  You'd rather win, and don't care at all about the level of competition. 

Argue with yourself...you can't be the best without beating the best, and you don't do that by playing lesser competition.  If you truly believe that, then you're no competitor. 

Let me guess...you're also a big proponent of the saying, "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'" too right? 

C'mon man...OU is Bama, TX is LSU, and OSU is Auburn.  You're acting like we would run over everyone there...same scenario, you have to BEAT THE BEST, TO BE THE BEST.     

Bama>OU
LSU>TX
Auburn>OSU

You don't read. It really is amazing:

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 03, 2018, 08:47:45 am
Which of these is more likely for the Hogs to accomplish: beat TCU, OSU, OU, and then one of the three again in the CCG, or beat Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Georgia.

I don't think anyone is insinuating we would dominate the Big 12, but that season every 5-7 years where we catch lightning in a bottle we'd probably play in the CFP.  2011 was our best finish in recent memory, where, at one point, we had a legitimate shot at a national title.  Didn't we STILL finish third in our DIVISION?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 06, 2018, 12:58:19 pm
You don't understand what the word "premise" means, do you?

Here: I propose a premise. A theory. A hypothesis. I then use facts and statistics to support my premise/theory/hypothesis. Then, I draw a conclusion based on presentation of facts.

Premise: I believe we would do better in the Big 12. (Notice I didn't say we WILL do better in the Big 12)

Supporting facts/stats:
1. We have performed better against Big 12 teams historically both before and after entering the SEC.
2. We even performed better against SEC teams before we entered the SEC.
3. Once we entered the SEC, we still outperformed Big 12 teams, but our winning percentages against fellow SEC teams decreased.
4. Our percentage of seasons at .500 or below is worse since joining the SEC than it was before.

Conclusion: I believe we would* win more football games in the Big 12.

*Would is key here. Not will. Would.

I have provided multiple records, stats, and facts. I have seen none from you. Nothing but speculation. We can agree to disagree, but I'm not arguing with someone who doesn't use facts.

FACT.  Regardless of the statistics you are using, it's a COMPLETELY different scenario when we leave the SEC.  You're choosing not to acknowledge that, and assuming things continue with our present recruiting, facilities, etc. 

FACT.  Using the word "would" verus "will" is ridiculous.  This is ALL about what we "think" would happen.  Again...a mid pack SEC team, BY YOUR OWN ACCOUNT BY USING THAT DATA, is on par with the upper teams in the Big 12.  Isn't that what you're arguing? 

Then by that standard, what would we gain by moving?  I know, I know...playing lesser competition, and racking up wins. 

WE GET IT.  You would rather win against Troy than lose to Bama.  Duly noted. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

steveaustin69

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 01:11:51 pm
FACT.  Regardless of the statistics you are using, it's a COMPLETELY different scenario when we leave the SEC.  You're choosing not to acknowledge that, and assuming things continue with our present recruiting, facilities, etc. 

FACT.  Using the word "would" verus "will" is ridiculous.  This is ALL about what we "think" would happen.  Again...a mid pack SEC team, BY YOUR OWN ACCOUNT BY USING THAT DATA, is on par with the upper teams in the Big 12.  Isn't that what you're arguing? 

Then by that standard, what would we gain by moving?  I know, I know...playing lesser competition, and racking up wins. 

The stats pre and post SEC and every which way you slice it don't support you. Your dismissal of them shows your intelligence level.

Nutt won SEC games at a higher clip than the pre SEC Holtz, Broyles, Hatfield days.  Yet you say his record is not indicative of what we can achieve in the SEC. You repeatedly have nothing to back you up but your own thoughts.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 06, 2018, 01:05:40 pm
Bama>OU
LSU>TX
Auburn>OSU

You don't read. It really is amazing:

Haha...resorting to insults.  Nicely played.  Pretty well on par with this "I just wanna win" crybaby attitude you guys have.   ;D

The point is this...there are three teams over there that most would argue have been better than us for several years now.  We've gone a little better than .500 by splitting with Tech and TCU, and getting a disinterested TX team in a bowl game. 

You want to take that, and insist that we would move over there, and just curb stomp everyone on our way to a showdown with someone for a trip to the playoffs. 

Keep telling yourself that.  We would have the same challenges there, that we face now.  We'd probably win more, but it wouldn't lead to a DARN thing of anymore significance UNLESS you do what I've been saying all along...BEAT THE BEST. 

OU gets beat by UGA with the Heisman trophy winner.  Ooops.  Theory...poof. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 01:11:51 pm

Uh, yeah racking up wins in a P5 sounds good. Isn't that the whole point of playing any game? To win?

And you would rather lose to a superior team than win against an inferior team.

You'd rather lose than win.

Duly noted.

steveaustin69

February 06, 2018, 01:22:05 pm #255 Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:24:09 pm by steveaustin69
Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 01:18:08 pm
Haha...resorting to insults.  Nicely played.  Pretty well on par with this "I just wanna win" crybaby attitude you guys have.   ;D

The point is this...there are three teams over there that most would argue have been better than us for several years now.  We've gone a little better than .500 by splitting with Tech and TCU, and getting a disinterested TX team in a bowl game. 

You want to take that, and insist that we would move over there, and just curb stomp everyone on our way to a showdown with someone for a trip to the playoffs. 

Keep telling yourself that.  We would have the same challenges there, that we face now.  We'd probably win more, but it wouldn't lead to a DARN thing of anymore significance UNLESS you do what I've been saying all along...BEAT THE BEST. 

OU gets beat by UGA with the Heisman trophy winner.  Ooops.  Theory...poof.

You do not read:

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 03, 2018, 08:47:45 am
Which of these is more likely for the Hogs to accomplish: beat TCU, OSU, OU, and then one of the three again in the CCG, or beat Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and Georgia.

I don't think anyone is insinuating we would dominate the Big 12, but that season every 5-7 years where we catch lightning in a bottle we'd probably play in the CFP.  2011 was our best finish in recent memory, where, at one point, we had a legitimate shot at a national title.  Didn't we STILL finish third in our DIVISION?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 06, 2018, 01:14:11 pm
The stats pre and post SEC and every which way you slice it don't support you. Your dismissal of them shows your intelligence level.

Your desire to beat lesser competition shows all I need to see.  I don't need to insult your intelligence.  You're doing a great job of that on your own by resorting to childish insults. 

You use your irrelevant data all you want, but it proves ZERO.  You know what is PROVEN.  Playing against better competition makes you better.  You're ignoring that, and think that by winning football games, you're improving. 

How did that work for Central Florida?  TCU and Baylor a few years back...snubbed, because their conference wasn't strong enough.  Remember that? 

You guys argue amongst yourselves.  Your entire premise is based on a loser mentality. 

"Set the expecation bar low enough, and you'll achieve it every time." 

-  Some random loser

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 01:22:34 pm
Your desire to beat lesser competition shows all I need to see.  I don't need to insult your intelligence.  You're doing a great job of that on your own by resorting to childish insults. 

You use your irrelevant data all you want, but it proves ZERO.  You know what is PROVEN.  Playing against better competition makes you better.  You're ignoring that, and think that by winning football games, you're improving. 

How did that work for Central Florida?  TCU and Baylor a few years back...snubbed, because their conference wasn't strong enough.  Remember that? 

You guys argue amongst yourselves.  Your entire premise is based on a loser mentality. 

-  Some random loser

This is absolutely, unequivocally false.

You just said you get better by playing the best. If you agree the SEC is "the best," then you just contradicted everything you've ever said.

Ever since joining the SEC and playing "the best" we have BEEN WORSE. NOT BETTER.

Ergo, playing THE BEST does not MAKE YOU BETTER.

urkillnmesmalls

"Oh whaaaaa....dat big bad SEC is just too hard for me.  I better go somewhere else and pick on the little guys to feel better about myself."

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 06, 2018, 11:30:26 am
Seasons finished at or below .500

Alabama: 14 in 114 seasons.
Georgia: 30 in 114 seasons.
Florida: 32 in 106 seasons.
Arkansas: 47 in 112 seasons.

Those three you mentioned might have had some "down" periods, but they've had a whole lot more success and a whole lot fewer seasons at .500 or below.

And, to piggy-back off of my previous post full of stats and figures, we're historically and significantly better against Big 12 teams and SWC teams that are now in the Big 12 than we are against SEC teams.

To refresh:

Against SWC teams that are now in the Big 12, we are combined 134-131 excluding ties, for a winning percentage of .506.
Against Big 12 teams as the conference now stands, we are combined 168-151 excluding ties, for a winning percentage of .527.
Against SEC teams, we are combined 171-196 excluding ties, for a winning percentage of .466.

Further, we are 7-5 against Big 12 teams since joining the SEC, for a winning percentage of .583

Historically, we have performed better against Big 12 teams than SEC teams. That is a cold, hard fact that cannot be discredited.
Fans like Urkill will never believe the truth because it means admitting there is a low ceiling at Arkansas for football over the long haul. If that keeps them from blowing their brains out on Fall Saturdays, let them ignore the facts.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

steveaustin69

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 01:22:34 pm

You use your irrelevant data all you want, but it proves ZERO.  You know what is PROVEN.  Playing against better competition makes you better.
  You're ignoring that, and think that by winning football games, you're improving. 

-  Some random loser

Wrong.

Prior to joining the SEC, we were 76-76 against SEC teams for a winning percentage of .500.
Since joining the SEC, we are 95-120 against SEC teams for a winning percentage of .442.

A .500 winning percentage is BETTER than a .442 winning percentage.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 06, 2018, 01:23:55 pm
This is absolutely, unequivocally false.

You just said you get better by playing the best. If you agree the SEC is "the best," then you just contradicted everything you've ever said.

Ever since joining the SEC and playing "the best" we have BEEN WORSE. NOT BETTER.

Ergo, playing THE BEST does not MAKE YOU BETTER.

Haha...you're using a 4% difference to make a point?  Really?  LOL  That's awesome!  I don't even know how to argue with that, because it's not even statistically significant on ANY level. 

And...if you don't think playing better competition makes you better, than I don't know why you're even on this board, because you obviously know NOTHING about sports.

We had a word for guys who always jumped to line up against the smallest weakest guys on the team during drills...chickensh__.  I'm sensing some of that here.... ;) 

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 01:29:34 pm
Haha...you're using a 4% difference to make a point?  Really?  LOL  That's awesome!  I don't even know how to argue with that, because it's not even statistically significant on ANY level. 

And...if you don't think playing better competition makes you better, than I don't know why you're even on this board, because you obviously know NOTHING about sports.

We had a word for guys who always jumped to line up against the smallest weakest guys on the team during drills...chickensh__.  I'm sensing some of that here.... ;)

Not significant on any level, eh? It's good to know you would say no to your boss offering you a 4% raise, just to make a point.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 06, 2018, 01:26:35 pm
Wrong.

Prior to joining the SEC, we were 76-76 against SEC teams for a winning percentage of .500.
Since joining the SEC, we are 95-120 against SEC teams for a winning percentage of .442.

Seriously..argue with yourselves.  The SEC is vastly improved, and you're spouting statistics that are apples to oranges.  Who were those 76 games against? 

...and if we're going to be so much better if we jump, then why could we only manage to beat SEC teams half the time despite being the second biggest dog in the SWC?  Hmm....something to ponder perhaps? 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 06, 2018, 01:31:00 pm
Not significant on any level, eh? It's good to know you would say no to your boss offering you a 4% raise, just to make a point.

Great analogy man...nailed it.   ::)   It's like it's a direct comparison or something. 

RME

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 06, 2018, 01:26:35 pm
Wrong.

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 01:32:57 pm
Seriously..argue with yourselves.  The SEC is vastly improved, and you're spouting statistics that are apples to oranges.  Who were those 76 games against? 

...and if we're going to be so much better if we jump, then why could we only manage to beat SEC teams half the time despite being the second biggest dog in the SWC?  Hmm....something to ponder perhaps?

Yeah. It's a good time for me to exit.

870hogfan

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 06, 2018, 01:26:08 pm
Fans like Urkill will never believe the truth because it means admitting there is a low ceiling at Arkansas for football over the long haul. If that keeps them from blowing their brains out on Fall Saturdays, let them ignore the facts.

This is coming from a idiot who said Memphis is the better football program than Arkansas....

steveaustin69

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 01:32:57 pm

Arguing against decades worth of statistics sure is something. 

I have nothing left to say to you; you said a statistic is not a fact. The word fact is in the definition of statistic. Tells me all I need to know.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: 870hogfan on February 06, 2018, 01:37:02 pm

This is coming from a idiot who said Memphis is the better football program than Arkansas....

Don't be so hard on HiM.  He's got a reputation to uphold here.  Driving a Porsche Boxter and welching on bets ain't for everybody. 

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 01:01:51 pm
OK, so now I know what level character I'm dealing with.  You'd rather win, and don't care at all about the level of competition. 

Argue with yourself...you can't be the best without beating the best, and you don't do that by playing lesser competition.  If you truly believe that, then you're no competitor. 

Let me guess...you're also a big proponent of the saying, "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'" too right? 

C'mon man...OU is Bama, TX is LSU, and OSU is Auburn.  You're acting like we would run over everyone there...same scenario, you have to BEAT THE BEST, TO BE THE BEST.     

Yes. If you aren't cheating, you're cheating yourself.

Also, I've read through this entire thread over the past half hour and you, sir, are wrong. Not only are you wrong, but, from everything I've checked, you're arguing against a solid foundation of correct statistical analysis, which in this case happen to double as factual statements. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 06, 2018, 01:45:08 pm
Arguing against decades worth of statistics sure is something. 

I have nothing left to say to you; you said a statistic is not a fact. The word fact is in the definition of statistic. Tells me all I need to know.

What you POSTED are facts.  Ignoring that they are situational, is exactly why people like YOU are not in charge of things as big as making decisions that will define your Universities athletic department.  For that...I'm thankful. 

Anyone can use statistics to their advantage.  We went .500 in our last four non-bowl games against the Big 12.  It's safe for me to sasy that we can expect to be a .500 team in the Big 12. 

See....statistics don't tell the whole story do they?  Go back under your rock, and come back when you can make an argument that is a little stronger than...

"We'll have more wins if we play against lesser competition.  Here are the statistics to prove it." 

Someone call Einstein, we've found his prodigy.   ::) :P

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 06, 2018, 01:54:49 pm

Also, I've read through this entire thread over the past half hour and you, sir, are wrong. Not only are you wrong, but, from everything I've checked, you're arguing against a solid foundation of correct statistical analysis, which in this case happen to double as factual statements. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

Don't need luck bro.  Luck is not a strategy.  But thanks....     

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 06, 2018, 01:54:49 pm

You guys should get together.  Maybe play beer pong.  One of you play blindfolded, and let the other two win.  Make everyone feel special. 

Funny....I always grew up with..."If you resort to cheating to win, you're just cheating yourself in the end." 

But...I can clearly see why you guys view it the opposite way.  Nothing like taking the easy way out.   ;D    It's the loser's mentality since....well, the dawn of time. 

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 01:56:19 pm
What you POSTED are facts.  Ignoring that they are situational, is exactly why people like YOU are not in charge of things as big as making decisions that will define your Universities athletic department.  For that...I'm thankful. 

Anyone can use statistics to their advantage.  We went .500 in our last four non-bowl games against the Big 12.  It's safe for me to sasy that we can expect to be a .500 team in the Big 12. 

See....statistics don't tell the whole story do they?  Go back under your rock, and come back when you can make an argument that is a little stronger than...

"We'll have more wins if we play against lesser competition.  Here are the statistics to prove it." 

I think you mean protégé. "Someone call Einstein*, we've found his protégé."

*Einstein died in 1955.

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 01:56:19 pm

Anyone can use statistics to their advantage.  We went .500 in our last four non-bowl games against the Big 12.  It's safe for me to say that we can expect to be a .500 team in the Big 12.

Yeah, uh, that's because, uh, sample sizes matter.

We went 1-7 in the SEC last year. Guess we can expect to have a .125 winning percentage in the SEC each year.

See how sample sizes can skew everything?

Too bad the sample sizes I've used range from the beginning of Arkansas football thru the 2017 season. My stats cover literally every single game Arkansas has played against a Big 12 or SEC opponent. Yours don't.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 06, 2018, 02:02:27 pm
I think you mean protégé. "Someone call Einstein*, we've found his protégé."

*Einstein died in 1955.

NOPE...meant what I typed. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 06, 2018, 02:06:14 pm

We went 1-7 in the SEC last year. Guess we can expect to have a .125 winning percentage in the SEC each year.

Too bad the sample sizes I've used range from the beginning of Arkansas football thru the 2017 season. My stats cover literally every single game Arkansas has played against a Big 12 or SEC opponent. Yours don't.

Don't need to when we're making the statistics support what we want them to support.  That's what this is about isn't it?  You want to correlate how things looked in the 40's and 50's and apply it to today.  Because THAT is a much better example than the past 5 years right? 

Again...relevancy.  It matters. 

What I find funny is...you're going to all this trouble to dig stuff up to support an argument that we would do better against weaker opponents.  STUNNING thought process.  I'll concede that, if it makes you feel better.  I just didn't think we needed anywhere near this many posts to acknowledge that loser mentality that if you don't like losing, find a weaker opponent.

If that was your goal...nice work.  Nailed it.  It's basically why the stands are empty when we play the rent a win teams...hollow victories, nobody cares.  Same thing if we were playing Kansas...even though they might have given us a good game last season, to be fair.   

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 02:43:05 pm
Don't need to when we're making the statistics support what we want them to support.  That's what this is about isn't it?  You want to correlate how things looked in the 40's and 50's and apply it to today.  Because THAT is a much better example than the past 5 years right? 

What I find funny is...you're going to all this trouble to dig stuff up to support an argument that we would do better against weaker opponents.  STUNNING thought process.  I'll concede that, if it makes you feel better.  I just didn't think we needed anywhere near this many posts to acknowledge that loser mentality that if you don't like losing, find a weaker opponent.

If that was your goal...nice work.  Nailed it.  It's basically why the stands are empty when we play the rent a win teams...hollow victories, nobody cares.  Same thing if we were playing Kansas...even though they might have given us a good game last season, to be fair.   

So you care more about the opponent of the Arkansas Razorbacks than actually being there to support the Arkansas Razorbacks no matter who they play?

Duly noted.

I get it. You're not in it for the Arkansas Razorbacks. You're in it for who they play and moral victories. That's cool. I'm in it for the Arkansas Razorbacks and their actual victories.

P.S. Attendance for the Mississippi State and Mizzou games in Fayetteville last year were both 64k. The New Mexico State game was 70k. Wins put people in the seats first and foremost. Opponent is secondary. Yet another argument of yours just collapsing in on itself.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 06, 2018, 02:45:25 pm
So you care more about the opponent of the Arkansas Razorbacks than actually being there to support the Arkansas Razorbacks no matter who they play?

Duly noted.

Hehe...again, there you extrapolating things.  What did my post say?  Did it say "I don't go...hollow victories?"  No.  But it's why many people don't go, because they aren't excited about beating teams that they expect us to beat, because they aren't expected to be at our level of competition. 

Lately that hasn't panned out too well. 

While we're looking at statistics.  I think it's Pepsi products.  Just look at how much worse we've done since the UA switched away from Coke.  Fans are mad, not cheering as loud because they have to drink Pepsi, and it's affecting the team as a result. 

Extrapolation....it's not fact. 

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 02:53:00 pm
Hehe...again, there you extrapolating things.  What did my post say?  Did it say "I don't go...hollow victories?"  No.  But it's why many people don't go, because they aren't excited about beating teams that they expect us to beat, because they aren't expected to be at our level of competition. 

Lately that hasn't panned out too well. 

While we're looking at statistics.  I think it's Pepsi products.  Just look at how much worse we've done since the UA switched away from Coke.  Fans are mad, not cheering as loud because they have to drink Pepsi, and it's affecting the team as a result. 

Extrapolation....it's not fact.

Where did you go to school and what is your degree in? Humor me.

And then why did the New Mexico State game draw a larger crowd than the Mississippi State and Mizzou games? NMSU game had ~70k. Mississippi State and Mizzou had ~64k. That's not an extrapolation, either.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 06, 2018, 02:48:10 pm

Hmm...three trolls, all vying for the title in this thread.  I'd put you in a solid third.  In fact, you probably need to find another thread with a few lesser trolls, because these guys are kinda making you look bad.  You were hanging in there despite coming across as a yapping little dog behind the big dog, by sponging off of Ego's insignificant data he pulled up from 1912, but then you had to resort to posting a picture to make a point.  You were in second up to that point, just behind Austin, but Ego had you by trying to extrapolate data and claim it as fact.  Something science doesn't allow for, but I digress. 

Maybe if you go find another thread with some lesser trolls, you can be top dog again.   ;)    Run along...the big dogs out did you this time.   

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 06, 2018, 02:54:06 pm
Where did you go to school and what is your degree in? Humor me.

And then why did the New Mexico State game draw a larger crowd than the Mississippi State and Mizzou games? NMSU game had ~70k. Mississippi State and Mizzou had ~64k. That's not an extrapolation, either.

I have a Master's in Trollology with a minor is Statistical BS Analysis. 

I think it's because only the fans who want to see us win came out for that NMSU game.  Only the ones who love it when we play lesser opponents came out for that one.  Those ones later in the season...those guys stayed home, because they don't show up when we might lose to real competition.  /sarcasm

You know why...fans were tired of it, and that's not extrapolation either.  A point was being made that a change needed to be made...and that's how it manifested itself.   

Which again...all points to why you're clearly right, and we should tuck tail and move to the Big 12 where it's NMSU every week, and we'll mop the floor.  Can't get better unless you play lesser competition.  You can look that up in any sports psychology book...first page.  Meanwhile...I'm staring at a book on my office shelf....by Jack Welch..."Get Better, or Get Beaten." 

Funny...I see some others here.  Winning Every Day -  Lou Holtz   I don't recall anything in there about "when the going gets tough, lower your level of competition."     

RME

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 03:08:14 pm
I have a Master's in Trollology with a minor is Statistical BS Analysis.

I think it's because only the fans who want to see us win came out for that NMSU game.  Only the ones who love it when we play lesser opponents came out for that one.  Those ones later in the season...those guys stayed home, because they don't show up when we might lose to real competition.  /sarcasm

You know why...fans were tired of it, and that's not extrapolation either.  A point was being made that a change needed to be made...and that's how it manifested itself.   

Which again...all points to why you're clearly right, and we should tuck tail and move to the Big 12 where it's NMSU every week, and we'll mop the floor.  Can't get better unless you play lesser competition.  You can look that up in any sports psychology book...first page.  Meanwhile...I'm staring at a book on my office shelf....by Jack Welch..."Get Better, or Get Beaten." 

Funny...I see some others here.  Winning Every Day -  Lou Holtz   I don't recall anything in there about "when the going gets tough, lower your level of competition."   

Yeah, that's what I figured. That's about the maturity level I expected.

Welcome to Hogville, where verifiable numbers and statistics are considered trolling. Would you like to run my numbers and percentages? Be my guest.

http://www.winsipedia.com/arkansas

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: 870hogfan on February 06, 2018, 01:37:02 pm

It has been for the past 6 years. Arkansas could not beat Memphis now any more than it could beat TCU. Thanks, moron.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

steveaustin69

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 02:43:05 pm

Ok we'll play this game. Since 1980:

Record vs. Big 12 schools: 36-26 or a 58% winning percentage
Record vs. SEC schools: 110-133 or a 45% winning percentage

If our win percentage for Big 12 schools is EXTRAPOLATED (I am using this term correctly, something you have not done a few times in this thread) across the SEC schools that is roughly 46 more wins in a 37 year time frame. That is more than a win a year in case you were struggling to keep up.

Please note that as we have DECREASED our sample size as you have prescribed your argument looks even WORSE.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 06, 2018, 03:01:20 pm
Hmm...three trolls, all vying for the title in this thread.  I'd put you in a solid third.  In fact, you probably need to find another thread with a few lesser trolls, because these guys are kinda making you look bad.  You were hanging in there despite coming across as a yapping little dog behind the big dog, by sponging off of Ego's insignificant data he pulled up from 1912, but then you had to resort to posting a picture to make a point.  You were in second up to that point, just behind Austin, but Ego had you by trying to extrapolate data and claim it as fact.  Something science doesn't allow for, but I digress. 

Maybe if you go find another thread with some lesser trolls, you can be top dog again.   ;)    Run along...the big dogs out did you this time.

Hahahah! You've been outdone this entire thread by several people. I posted the picture because I wanted to comically express that you are not smart and your arguments have no validity going against Mallett's statistical facts (funny that they come from Ryan Mallett, but that's beside the point). Also, the fact that he pulled them from 1912 to present is all the more reason that said facts are case-in-point to this argument. An argument that you had no business bringing your underdeveloped brain into, yet, for some unbeknownst reason, you chose to poke instead of actually consuming the info being presented and realizing that it is correct in every way, shape, and form.

Carry on, though.

RME

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 06, 2018, 03:17:18 pm
Ok we'll play this game. Since 1980:

Record vs. Big 12 schools: 36-26 or a 58% winning percentage
Record vs. SEC schools: 110-133 or a 45% winning percentage

If our win percentage for Big 12 schools is EXTRAPOLATED (I am using this term correctly, something you have not done a few times in this thread) across the SEC schools that is roughly 46 more wins in a 37 year time frame. That is more than a win a year in case you were struggling to keep up.

Please note that as we have DECREASED our sample size as you have prescribed your argument looks even WORSE.

Fake news. Numbers and percentages don't matter. Gotta try harder. Gotta lose to the best to beat the best. Forget that Smalls has not used one verifiable stat or figure. Doesn't matter. Extrapolation. SEC money. Moral victories. Real losses.

MJ2

Does it go to the U of A (the state of Arkansas) or to the Razorback Foundation?    Not sure how the funds could go to any entity other that the U of A proper.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 05, 2018, 05:07:04 pm
No it's not. These are factual numbers and statistics.

Also --- your post reads as though you're against racking up wins. Hey if you don't wanna win, that's not my problem. Keep bragging about that SEC money and having losing conference records more often than not.

I don't mind racking up wins, but for me personally the value of the win is important.  I value a win over Ole Miss more than a win over Florida A & M for example .  I mean if all that matters is w's then why move to the Big 12 at all? Why not move to the Sun Belt?  Moving somewhere we all perceive to be weaker to "rack up wins" against perceived inferior teams to me is not something I would want to do, because to me a w is not just a w.  The quality of the opponent matters, but that's just me.     

RME

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on February 07, 2018, 12:32:57 pm
I don't mind racking up wins, but for me personally the value of the win is important.  I value a win over Ole Miss more than a win over Florida A & M for example .  I mean if all that matters is w's then why move to the Big 12 at all? Why not move to the Sun Belt?  Moving somewhere we all perceive to be weaker to "rack up wins" against perceived inferior teams to me is not something I would want to do, because to me a w is not just a w.  The quality of the opponent matters, but that's just me.     

To the bold: Yes, I do too. I agree with you. But beating Big 12 teams is more like beating Ole Miss, not Florida A&M.

To the underline: Because as has been said roughly 6 million times here, I am fine with a move to the Big 12 because it is still a P5 and a great way to get into the playoff. The Sun Belt is not a P5 conference and would be borderline impossible to make the playoff.

ricepig

Quote from: MJ2 on February 07, 2018, 12:20:24 pm
Does it go to the U of A (the state of Arkansas) or to the Razorback Foundation?    Not sure how the funds could go to any entity other that the U of A proper.

It goes to the Athletic Department.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 06, 2018, 02:06:14 pm

From what you keep saying, I keep hearing from you along with a few more people that it's the program's fault that we lost the games the past few years and it's not the coach.   I am willing to bet your wrong, but lets watch and see. I keep hearing it over and over and over from you and Steve that it's and Arkansas problem, that your not going to give anyone a chance to change anything.  If that is the case, you need to find another board. 

RME

Quote from: Hogindasticks on February 07, 2018, 01:32:24 pm
From what you keep saying, I keep hearing from you along with a few more people that it's the program's fault that we lost the games the past few years and it's not the coach.   I am willing to bet your wrong, but lets watch and see. I keep hearing it over and over and over from you and Steve that it's and Arkansas problem, that your not going to give anyone a chance to change anything. If that is the case, you need to find another board.

Read more. It's good for you. See below.

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 05, 2018, 05:16:46 pm
Absolutely. I love the Morris hire. For the first time in a while I think we're about to see some really great things from the program.

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 06, 2017, 11:09:07 am
Who's to say Morris won't be Holtz? We have NO idea.

He could be Holtz. He could be Bielema. We have no clue.

Yeah, you are what your record says you are. And Morris' record has improved every year in the 3 years he's been a head coach after taking over a 1-11 team. I'd say that's called "progress," and "progress" can lead to some optimism.

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 05, 2017, 10:38:02 pm
I believe Morris is very good at identifying talent and developing it.

I support that with this, although a hole could be poked in my argument. Where the hole could be poked is in regards to the amount of walkons the SMU program currently has, or walkons that eventually contribute significantly.

Hear me out: No, SMU is not going to be a top five destination for recruits in Texas. But the AAC is a different animal in recruiting due to its geography. Teams range from USF, to SMU, to Cincinnati, to Temple, to Connecticut. Schools like USF, UCF, and Cincinnati, for example, have inherent advantages. Massive public schools that are in the middle of fertile recruiting grounds (yes, SMU is as well, but I'm getting there) that can take their share of leftovers, AND establish a solid walkon program.

SMU is a small private school that costs $46,000 to attend BEFORE room and board, books, etc. If someone can find evidence SMU has a strong walkon program, my argument is cut. But, that being said, SMU can't have the privilege of a walkon program like these other massively-enrolled state schools.

Therefore, Morris knows the players he is looking for, and he knows how to develop them, because he can't have players waiting in the walkon wings. He has to work with what he has, and he has done well; progress each year is doing well.

Our previous coach, in my opinion, was poor at both of those facets. I believe that Morris' ability to have a roster of almost all Texas recruits shows that he knows what he needs and how to develop them.

"What about his record?" He took over a 1-11 team and has added wins every year since. That's progress. In our microwave world, people want it NOW. A coach ain't gonna take a 1-11 team to 10-wins in consecutive years.

So that's my argument for Morris. I think he is a great identifier and developer of talent, and at a place like Arkansas where he will not overwhelmingly land 4* and 5* recruits, I think that's a valuable asset.

gchamblee

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 08:24:36 am
I'd trade wins for less money. But hey thats just me. But by all means lets continue to get paid a ton to get our bell rung every year.

you typed that as if you actually receive some of the money. its easy to make your statement when you have zero financial interest in the program lol. id take a smaller salary for my neighbor if it meant more wins too!

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on February 07, 2018, 12:32:57 pm

Because the Sun Belt isn't a P5 conference. Racking up quality wins is much easier to do in the Big 12 than it currently is for Arkansas in the SEC and the value of these hypothetical wins would not be any less if they occurred in the Big 12. On a year in and year out basis, Arkansas would have a real chance to beat the following schools and it would be considered a quality win:

TCU
Baylor
OK State
WVU
K State
TTU

gchamblee

lol at all the people in this thread saying "the sec is too hard, can we go to an easier conference please?"

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: gchamblee on February 07, 2018, 02:03:54 pm
lol at all the people in this thread saying "the sec is too hard, can we go to an easier conference please?"
I like it that Arkansas is in bottom half of the 14 team conference based on W-L record over past 25 seasons. Low expectations is the American way now. Also, gives us something to discuss here.

urkillnmesmalls

February 08, 2018, 12:37:37 am #298 Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:57:05 am by urkillnmesmalls
Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 06, 2018, 03:17:32 pm
Hahahah! You've been outdone this entire thread by several people. I posted the picture because I wanted to comically express that you are not smart and your arguments have no validity going against Mallett's statistical facts (funny that they come from Ryan Mallett, but that's beside the point). Also, the fact that he pulled them from 1912 to present is all the more reason that said facts are case-in-point to this argument. An argument that you had no business bringing your underdeveloped brain into, yet, for some unbeknownst reason, you chose to poke instead of actually consuming the info being presented and realizing that it is correct in every way, shape, and form.

Carry on, though.

Oh, I carried on a long time ago.  You yahoos are the ones trying to argue an asinine point in the first place.  We're NOT going there.  We're NOT going to leave to try to win more games against lesser competition, and risk a conference implosion and be on the outside looking in. 

But... Ego just spent a lot of time digging up irrelevant statistics, and you chased behind like a little yappy dog.  But...for someone who will stoop as low as needed to win games, it doesn't surprise me that you would ride his coattails rather than formulate your own argument.  "Yeah, you tell 'em Ego.  Way to prove we can tuck our tails like cowards and win a few more games...1 a year based on the statistics I ran."   

Keep it up with our winning percentage vs. the Big 12.  It does NOT change the fact that the landscape over there has changed just in the past 5-7 years.  Winning would be MUCH harder than it was in the 80's...against the same teams.   

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 06, 2018, 03:19:06 pm
Fake news. Numbers and percentages don't matter. Gotta try harder. Gotta lose to the best to beat the best. Forget that Smalls has not used one verifiable stat or figure. Doesn't matter. Extrapolation. SEC money. Moral victories. Real losses.

This is priceless.  You're going to extreme lengths to use statistics that DO NOT MATTER.  You're trying to PROVE that the Big 12 isn't as strong as the SEC.  NO SH__ SHERLOCK!!  We knew that before anyone here ever typed the first letter. 

My argument doesn't need statistics.  As I've said over and over, and you guys fail to grasp it, YOU DO NOT DROP IN COMPETITION, and EXCEL LONG TERM.  It won't happen.  You will sink to the level that you're playing aginst.  Period.  You can't recite a single circumstance where another team dropped in conference, and it helped them do anything of significant.

You don't have to believe me...that's fine.  But the UA is smart enough to know that they just have to get better coaches in place, and that Bama's reign won't last forever.  They are thinking LONG term, while you knuckleheads just want to win more games for the sake of winning, even if it's short term gains for long term disaster when the Big 12 folds. 

Do you want to pull some more statistics to show me that the Big 12 is weaker than the SEC?  That's what you did, and then you are trying to suggest that because we've won more there since 1980, we'll most certainly win more if we move over there now.  I never said we wouldn't, but your insistence that we'll waltz over there and beat OU, TX, and OSU just to name a few...is a HOPE, not something you can throw statistics at.  TX just killed it in recruiting, and they will be great again.  OU...already on top, and OSU would be a tall order for us right now.  Now...that's assuming we can do better than a win every other year again TCU and Texas Tech. 

My ears are deaf to your speculation, and particularly to your statistics that aren't relevant to the argument.