Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU Coaching Search Rumors

Started by jbcarol, September 26, 2016, 07:45:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DOGALUM

it was Jimbo's job last year.    Don't see why this year would be any different. 

Jimbo Fisher will be next LSU coach.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Sed76

we are 4 games into the season. Of course these guys are going to deny they have been contacted or have any interest.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Sed76 on September 27, 2016, 02:12:00 pm
we are 4 games into the season. Of course these guys are going to deny they have been contacted or have any interest.
Exactly! I seriously doubt that any of the serious candidates are going to go out of their way to indicate either they or their agents (or both) are seriously talking to LSU. At least not this early in the process.

Which brings me to one other name that's likely being discussed behind closed doors: A former Arkansas/OM head coach who's available, I'm just positive he'd tell everyone as much, and wants to get back to "lovin' the helmet". :puke:

King Kong

Quote from: DOGALUM on September 27, 2016, 02:08:53 pm
it was Jimbo's job last year.    Don't see why this year would be any different. 

Jimbo Fisher will be next LSU coach.

Because FSU is better job in an Easier conference?

holeinthewall

Quote from: King Kong on September 27, 2016, 05:25:15 pm

FSU, Clemson and Louisville are all in the same division.  This year I would say all 3 of the them would be better than anyone in SEC west but Bama. FSU already beat Ole Piss. Clemson already won at Auburn.

Besides there may be a HC come into play after the season like what happened to Richt dropping into Miami lap.

Which brings up the Dawg fans saying Richt left the cupboard bare is the reason for their problems there. LMFAO. he signed 5 5 stars in the last 2 classes alone. Chubb and Michel are both great RB and the FR QB Eason was committed to Richt long before he left and had to be convinced to stay after taking visits when Richt was let go.  Simple fact is Richt > Smart

DOGALUM

Quote from: King Kong on September 27, 2016, 05:25:15 pm
Fisher to LSU was a done deal last year.  Nothing has changed since then.  Easier conference no doubt.....but no way is it a better job.   

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: DOGALUM on September 28, 2016, 02:29:04 pm
Fisher to LSU was a done deal last year.  Nothing has changed since then.  Easier conference no doubt.....but no way is it a better job.   

If it was a done deal last year then they would have fired miles at the end of the season.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

jbcarol

jackflash

My pick is the Houston coach if he wants it

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jim Kleinpeter ‏@JimKleinpeter 11h11 hours ago

#LSU coach Ed Orgeron: You let leadership take its place. You don't force it down their throats.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/782935984795246592

QuoteDear Mr. Alleva,

I am writing this letter in response to your opening labeled HEAD FOOTBALL COACH FOR LSU FIGHTING TIGERS. I am available immediately and will be happy to coach at 1/4 the salary of your previous coach. I understand money is tight.

As I'm sure you are already aware, I am the 2nd most successful public middle school defensive coordinator in Etowah County. My defense this year has been impetuous, and my style has been impregnable. It is good to have impregnable things when you coach boys going through puberty.

Our defense has been labelled "The Hairless Bears" due to our lack of leg hair and tendency to maul our opponents. We have only surrendered 48 points this year, 28 of which I blame squarely on an inept offensive coordinator. I don't want to say who he models his playbook after, but it rhymes with Spam Spameron. I also have impeccable time management. I have managed to be 5 minutes late for work with consistency for the past 5 years.

I will be right at home in Baton Rouge. Although I have lived in Northeast Alabama my whole life, I am a Cajun at heart. I am a regular at a local authentic Cajun restaurant named "Popeye's" (Pronounced PO-pies). I am a fan of their fresh seafood menu. Their red beans and rice are award winning and among the finest in the world. Just make sure you order your chicken extra mild. The heat is real. I also put Tony Chachere's seasoning on everything, including my ice water and communion wafers.

Aside from my culinary expertise, I have also lived a life that helps me fit right into Louisiana. I fell for my common law wife after seeing her expose herself for the honor of plastic beads at Mardi Gras. Our first child was conceived that night on Bourbon Street. We named him Tabasco to commemorate the occasion. Our second son, Zatarain's, was conceived in a Krystal's in January 2012. Thank goodness there was another incident that night that took the attention off us.

I have been preparing for the possibility of this job opening since last year. My lawn has been carefully eaten the entire summer. I haven't had a solid bowel movement in 8 months, but I believe that my dedication proves I am the man for the job.

I'm glad Mike is doing better, and I look forward to hearing from you,

Troy Elliott

jackflash

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: DOGALUM on September 28, 2016, 02:29:04 pm

FSU is a better job than LSU

HOGINTENNESSEE

jackflash

Texas would be a easier build not in the SEC

rtr

Quote from: jackflash on October 13, 2016, 09:17:10 am
Texas would be a easier build not in the SEC
Not sure about that, there are real structural issues at Texas.  Stuck in a backwater conference.  The Big 12 resembles the Southwest Conference of the 1980's.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

WorfHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 12, 2016, 07:47:49 pm
FSU is a better job than LSU

LSU was kind of a dump before Saban turned it around. FSU has much easier recruiting and more tradition.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/788924740371177472

QuoteA caller to the Ed Orgeron Radio Show attempted a joke about Houston coach Tom Herman that fell very [sic] flat.

The caller, mentioning how Herman kisses all his players on the cheek when they get off the bus heading into the stadium, asked Orgeron if defensive line coach Pete Jenkins will fill the same role for LSU.

Though it was presumably asked tongue-in-cheek, Orgeron failed to see the humor.

"I think that's a stupid question," Orgeron said before the call was disconnected.

It is the first time Orgeron has displayed any lack of patience with a fan or caller since taking over for Les Miles following the Auburn game. Even when asked fairly silly questions, like whether LSU is considering running the option, Orgeron has the patience to avoid making the caller feel foolish.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/789480999545634816

Here are the top candidates as of Oct. 21, including Chris Klieman:

Tom Herman -165
    Ed Orgeron +200
    Jimbo Fisher +300
    Field – Any Other +400
    Lane Kiffin +1000
    Kliff Kingsbury +2500
    Larry Fedora +2500
    Art Briles +3000
    Gary Patterson +3500
    Mike Gundy +3500
    Kyle Whittingham +3500
    Bobby Petrino +4000
    Bryan Harsin +4500
    Sonny Dykes +6000
    Todd Graham +6000
    Chris Klieman +6000

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Athletic director Joe Alleva is "the search," as he announced during a radio spot last month. LSU President F. King Alexander has handed Alleva full authority. The athletic director said he's using a group of "advisers," but he won't have a formal committee or use a search firm.

QuoteNearly 12 years later, LSU again is searching for a football coach, but this situation is different. Bertman no longer is in charge, and there's no six-person search committee or five-day deadline, as there was then.

"Calls are being made," King Alexander told The Advocate this month.

But who's making the calls? Not Alleva, Bertman said.

"Joe can't talk to these people at other schools. You have to speak to the athletic director before you talk to the guy."

It's too early for much of that. It's not too early, though, to gauge the interest of other coaches.

"There's the right way, and then there's the way," Pete Boone said of contacting prospective candidates at other programs. "The right way is, if you're interested in talking to a coach, you're supposed to call the athletic director. That's an NCAA rule.

"However, with agents [Jimmy Sexton], there are all sorts of behind-the-scenes conversations that go on with people that aren't ADs. Agents have a role to play."

Alleva is "the search" — Bertman has no doubt about that — but Alleva also has bosses.

They include Alexander and 16 members of the school's Board of Supervisors. Alexander said he plans to mostly stay out of the process, but he did not rule out recruiting a coach if needed.

"The way I see it happening is a recommendation will be made (by Alleva) to myself and a number of my board members that are in the leadership, and we will make the decision when we need to make a decision," he said.

The board members "in leadership" Alexander referred to likely include Blake Chatelain, chairman of the board's athletic committee; Scott Ballard, chairman of the board's executive committee; and Stephen Perry, the executive committee chair-elect.

"Whoever he picks, the board will support 100 percent," Bertman said. "Nobody's going to tell Joe Alleva who to hire. They might suggest. Joe's his own man, and he'll make the choice himself."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/792483039586742272

Quote• He has to exhibit good leadership.

• He has to have integrity.

• He has to be able to motivate the team.

• He has to have discipline and be accountable.

• He has to have good organizational skills.

• He has to possess adaptability, during a game and over time.

• He has to be good at recruiting players and quality assistant coaches.

• He has to exhibit good communication skills with players, fans, donors and the media.

"It's generally what I've always looked for in coaching searches," Alleva said. "There are more, but those are probably the main things you look for in a coach."

jmark

*  He must not chew grass, at least not on nat'l tv.

*  And, He must not smell like a corndog.
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/793960915460825092

QuoteMany unbelievable phrases and words have fallen out of the mouth attached to Ed Orgeron's face over the years, but none has been more absurd than his claim his father once told Bear Bryant to take a hike.

If that's actually true, then it might be the most egregious example of paternal guidance gone bad in the history of college football recruiting.

Seriously, imagine if Orgeron would have actually played for four years under Bryant. He might have ended up the best coach in college football. Instead, he's become the assistant coach you hire if you want to get fired a year or two later.

First it was Lane Kiffin at Southern Cal, and this season it was Les Miles at LSU.

Orgeron, LSU's interim head coach, invoked Bryant's name last week at the New Orleans quarterback club. He did it for one reason, of course, and that was to win the support of LSU fans. See how much I love LSU? There's no bigger sign of love than spurning Bama, right?

Never mind that Orgeron played at LSU for only two weeks before quitting the team and leaving the school.

"Bear was going to come to my house, but my daddy told him not to," Orgeron said. "So no, he didn't come. Dad said, 'My boy's going to LSU.'"

There is so much folly tangled up in those words, but let's not spend too much time on something inane uttered by a stand-in coach to get a few backslaps from the boosters or friends of the program. Orgeron has told that story for years, and was asked about it at the quarterback club. The coach knows better than anyone that the only way to win the admiration of LSU moneyed elite is to beat Alabama on the field and on National Signing Day.

On Saturday, Orgeron is probably hoping LSU's home game against Nick Saban and Alabama is some kind of trial run for the Tigers' permanent coaching position. Here's the funny thing about that. The offensive coordinator on the opposite side of the ball is thinking the same thing, too.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Will Orgeron stay on as coach beyond this season?

Jim Kleinpeter of Nola.com and The Times-Picayune shared his thoughts on what could happen

QuoteAL.com: Why do you think LSU has been more successful this season under Ed Orgeron than it was under Les Miles?

Jim Kleinpeter: A combination of loosening up the offense and cutting back on practice time. There was a palpable sense of relief coming from the players, who admitted they were happy about less time on the practice field and more in the meeting rooms. I think they also grew tired of worrying about who their coach was going to be and the questions from the media. Orgeron is utilizing more players on offense but also spreading out teams, which has made LSU less predictable.

AL.com: What are the chances Ed Orgeron continues as the coach beyond this season? Is it too early to make any bold predictions about his future?

Jim Kleinpeter: It's too early but the Alabama game will be an indicator. If LSU wins, it's big for Orgeron, but also if he hangs tough. I think if LSU loses to Bama he will have to win two of the last three to have a shot and even that might not be enough. If he can go 3-1 in November I believe he will get the job.

AL.com: If Ed Orgeron is not the coach next season, then who are the leading candidates to replace him and do you expect LSU to land the guy it targets?

Jim Kleinpeter: It's hard to say right now. There are several candidates but I don't think the door has closed on Tom Herman or Jimbo Fisher. Both will be difficult to get. LSU officials are waiting to see what Orgeron does. There are rumors about Chip Kelly but I don't think he's a good fit and he may go back to Oregon. LSU is hoping Orgeron finishes strong so they can make an inexpensive hire.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/795107173751783424

QuoteOn being 3-1: You want to win the game, you want to execute. Everybody is feeling like we left a lot on the table tonight. These guys believed we could beat this team and I was right there with them. If we executed better tonight, I think the results would be different.

On remaining schedule: We're going to move on to Game 5, Tell the Truth Monday and go back to our regimen and get after Arkansas.

jbcarol

Power brokers? Eh ...

To be completely honest, Ed Orgeron's coaching against Alabama will have an impact on athletic director Joe Alleva's decision

QuoteAccording to one source, if Orgeron would have beaten Alabama and continued down that path,  a contract would have been waiting for him after the Florida game on Nov. 19. However, that source wavered on that immediately after LSU lost 10-0 to the Crimson Tide on Saturday night, meaning Orgeron's path to becoming the head coach is again extremely unclear.

LSU still has a chance to win out and, potentially, give Orgeron a 6-1 record as the team's interim head coach. There are two important factors in play here:

If Orgeron is 6-1 after Thanksgiving with victories against Missouri, Southern Miss, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Florida and Texas A&M, that still looks extremely impressive. Ole Miss, Arkansas, Florida and A&M all have been ranked at different points this season. The lone loss would have been to 'Bama, which no team has beaten to this point.
    Where Tom Herman and Jimbo Fisher are at the end of the season. LSU is putting out feelers to the head coaches at Houston and Florida State, as we await a verdict on other programs across the country and if they, too, will have coaching vacancies. There is no reason for LSU not to consider Herman and Fisher, if either one or both of the coaches have an interest in coming to Baton Rouge. Either way, Orgeron will be a candidate.

jbcarol

The Advocate ‏@theadvocatebr 8h8 hours ago

Rabalais: Can Ed Orgeron change the culture at LSU? So far, that's an emphatic 'yes' http://ow.ly/6jNB3067cOS

Quote"It meant a lot to our guys to get that trophy," said LSU interim coach Ed Orgeron, who may have a trophy win of his own to take home. "It was a tough week for everybody. It was good to see them happy."

It's a cold and bitter wind that has blown through the past two Novembers for LSU. The Tigers have seen the tall trees of their late-season aspirations cut down to kindling by a one-two gut punch of a loss to Alabama then a loss to Arkansas. Last season, of course, they threw in a painful loss at Ole Miss for good measure, a three-game losing streak that at the time nearly forced Les Miles out of office.

Miles survived for a time, but this is Orgeron's time now. Time for a high-pressured audition to determine whether he has the stuff, the right stuff, to lead LSU football forward.

Last Saturday's 10-0 loss to Alabama was a sobering and painful blow. But this was the chance for Orgeron and his team to make something happen, to own something that the Tigers were unable to do the past two seasons, marked by humbling 17-point losses to the Razorbacks.

jbcarol

Orgeron passes major test with dominant win over Hogs

Quote"This is a new team, a new mindset," LSU interim coach Ed Orgeron said. "We do things different. We act different, and you saw that tonight."

"We couldn't get anything going," Arkansas coach Bret Bielema said. "So we definitely have to look at what we're doing."

And LSU kept on pushing.

"They started fast, and then obviously they had success again late in the third, early in the fourth and put the game out of reach," Bielema said.

It was a welcome change. And Orgeron just got himself back in the mix for the permanent job because of it. LSU athletic director Joe Alleva will be continuing to give what LSU is doing under Orgeron a hard look.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 2h2 hours ago

LSU contacts Florida State's Jimbo Fisher, Larry Fedora, per report http://trib.al/hTSBrCF

QuoteNOLA.com reports the Florida State coach and LSU interim coach Ed Orgeron are "strong candidates" for the job.

LSU athletic director Joe Alleva has been in touch with Fisher's representatives.

Multiple coaches who have worked for, or with, Fisher said it's highly likely he would take the job if LSU meets his salary demands and gives him a long-term deal. Fisher signed a new contract with Florida State last year that will pay him up to $44 million through 2022.

"Jimbo was Joe's guy from the beginning, and I just don't see him passing on hiring him," a source close to the situation said, referencing the AD's pursuit of Fisher last fall when Miles was first under fire."

Fisher, who was an assistant under Nick Saban at LSU and won a national title as the offensive coordinator in 2003, was the hot name last year when rumors of Miles' demise proved premature.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/theadvocatebr/status/799440791051632640

QuoteRight now, a day before LSU faces off with Florida on Saturday, the percentages say it's going to be interim coach Ed Orgeron or Florida State's Jimbo Fisher. Coach O or Jimbo. The symbiosis of it is magnetic.

There are a lot of reports and theories flying around out there, but this appears to remain a situation with several moving parts and players. Still, when in doubt, you have to lean to the incumbent.

If the LSU job is a prize, no doubt Orgeron has to feel he has one hand on it. For all the speculation about the LSU coaching search since the late September sacking of Les Miles (is his next stop really Baylor? I just can't imagine it), Orgeron has thrived in the job. And, it's important to note, he's the one who has the job right now. Someone has to beat him out for it, and that someone, whether it's Fisher or Houston coach Tom Herman or some other candidate, will probably need a little help.

Orgeron is 4-1 as coach, probably the most scrutinized five-game stretch anyone who sits behind the desk in the LSU head coach's office has had to deal with (and, yes, Orgeron did move in after Miles moved out). While Miles was a prisoner of his own conservative offensive tactics, Orgeron has unshackled the playbook and given interim offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger a fairly free rein, among a host of other changes.

The results have been startling.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/800777999327100928

QuoteLSU interim coach Ed Orgeron is expected to be one of the leading candidates, and reports surfaced yesterday that said Orgeron is expected to interview for the job this weekend. But Orgeron said Monday that he hasn't been approached yet about this.

"Whatever happens after the game I'm sure we're going to discuss," Orgeron said. "We haven't discussed anything yet. Things are going to happen the way they should. But my job is to coach this team on Thanksgiving."

Orgeron was asked if he has any regrets about accepting the job as the interim LSU football coach. Orgeron met that question with a resounding no.

DOGALUM

Like I said before.....it will be Fisher. 

And whoever said FSU is a better job than LSU is on crack.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: DOGALUM on November 21, 2016, 08:25:44 pm
Like I said before.....it will be Fisher. 

And whoever said FSU is a better job than LSU is on crack.

Well I've never done drugs and I for sure believe it's a better job.

HiggiePiggy

Same here. I believe Florida State is a better program. 

King Kong

LSU pays more, especially for their Asst. But if I was a coach and given the option to choose, I would take FSU

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: King Kong on November 21, 2016, 08:42:36 pm
LSU pays more, especially for their Asst. But if I was a coach and given the option to choose, I would take FSU

Sec pays more, but as of 2015 FSU was 7th overall in pay behind Clemson and 5 SEC teams.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2015/12/09/fsu-assistant-football-coaches-earn-7th-highest-salary-college-football/77047642/

pigture perfect

I wouldn't leave Tallahassee for Red Stick. But that's just me.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Torqued pork

LSU has no instate competition for top recruits and last time I checked Louisiana has produced more NFL players per capita than any other state.If it's not one of the top 5 coaching jobs it's very close.