Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It is NOT time to empty the stadium

Started by FANONTHEHILL, November 05, 2017, 12:16:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FANONTHEHILL

People are mad, that's understandable.  But don't stop attending games.  Get on the phone, write an email, write a letter.  Contact the Razorback Foundation, The Board of Trustrees, your local state congressman, or the chancellor.  The reason I say this is because it really doesn't hurt the university to have an empty seat that they've already sold. 

But here is something that does hurt the program.  My son is a redshirt sophomore.  He has two more years.  I want 2018 and 2019 to be better.  But I also want 2020 and beyond to be even better than that.  At yesterday's game, I was approached by a family member of player on a visit.  He saw my parent wristband and asked if I had someone on the team. I told them that I did.  They then asked, "it's homecoming and there's a crowd like this?"  "Why would you want to be part something where the fans turn on the boys during a tough time?"

So how am I supposed to answer that question?  Young men that could help this team in the future are watching what the fans are doing this year.  If the recruits don't think they'll be supported, they could likely come back to Razorback Stadium on the other sideline.  Think about that before you boycott games.

I know you're pissed off.  I'm pissed off.  But for the sake of the future of the program you need to show players, current and thise that could potentially help this program, that you will be there for them.  Please keep this in mind when you consider the Miss St and Mizzou games.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

jst01

You should have said "it's a vote against the coach, not the players".  Don't try and tell us that grown adults don't understand the issue at hand

Deep Shoat

Thank you.  The "scorched earth" attitude of our "fans" makes me sick.  You don't "hope the team loses", you don't fly banners, and you don't abandon the team you profess to love.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Ironhawg

November 05, 2017, 12:21:19 pm #3 Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:06:31 pm by Ironhawg
Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 12:16:53 pm
People are mad, that's understandable.  But don't stop attending games.  Get on the phone, write an email, write a letter.  Contact the Razorback Foundation, The Board of Trustrees, your local state congressman, or the chancellor.  The reason I say this is because it really doesn't hurt the university to have an empty seat that they've already sold. 

But here is something that does hurt the program.  My son is a redshirt sophomore.  He has two more years.  I want 2018 and 2019 to be better.  But I also want 2020 and beyond to be even better than that.  At yesterday's game, I was approached by a family member of player on a visit.  He saw my parent wristband and asked if I had someone on the team. I told them that I did.  They then asked, "it's homecoming and there's a crowd like this?"  "Why would you want to be part something where the fans turn on the boys during a tough time?"

So how am I supposed to answer that question?  Young men that could help this team in the future are watching what the fans are doing this year.  If the recruits don't think they'll be supported, they could likely come back to Razorback Stadium on the other sideline.  Think about that before you boycott games.

I know you're pissed off.  I'm pissed off.  But for the sake of the future of the program you need to show players, current and thise that could potentially help this program, that you will be there for them.  Please keep this in mind when you consider the Miss St and Mizzou games.

Agree completely.  Go to the games to support the players, not the staff.  If you want to protest, write an email to Steinmetz and/or BoT members expressing your displeasure with Bielema and Long, wear a t-shirt to the game that says I SUPPORT THE PLAYERS, but don't boycott your own team.

hawgon

Yeah, sorry.  I guess maybe they shouldn't come if they aren't smart enough to understand the issue at hand.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: jst01 on November 05, 2017, 12:19:34 pm
You should have said "it's a vote against the coach, not the players".  Don't try and tell us that grown adults don't understand the issue at hand

Players are sold "Family" at every school that recruits them.  There's no line of delineation between the two from a recruits perspective.  You can't say "sign with Arkansas and no one will be here when you arrive."
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hawgon

I love the school and I love the program.  I want it to do well.  I don't love this team.  There isn't much to like about this team. 

Tusks

Unfortunately Jeff Long has created the environment where fans think the only way to be heard is by not attending games.  His optics is such that he expects most fans to 'eat cake'.

If fans decide to let JL know by not attending games, it's Jeff Long that's to blame, not the fans.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

jst01

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 12:22:24 pm
Players are sold "Family" at every school that recruits them.  There's no line of delineation between the two from a recruits perspective.  You can't say "sign with Arkansas" and no one will be here when you arrive.

I get it. But coaching changes and the negative factors surrounding that are part of the game and every team that goes thru them feels it. Every player gets affected too. Sucks but it just is a way of the game, whether right or wrong

harrisburghog

As long as those stands are packed there will be no change, no matter the record.

The Pulse

If you build it, they (fans) will come...and i'm not talking about a stadium. I'm talking about a winning program.

Neither fans nor recruits want this:

rude1

Yeah because that full stadium is what has allowed them to assemble this current talented roster!!!!!! Let's not do something that's going to stop our current momentum!!!

hogfanmd

I supported the team buy donating, buying 12 season tickets year in year out.  My kids had a conflict this weekend and I literally tried all week to give away the tickets (4 are on the 50 and 4 indoor club) and parking passes right at the stadium.   No takers.  No one wanted to drive the 4 hours.   I finally found someone already with tickets who used the pass and tried to give the tickets away outside the stadium.  It's not personal.   It's supply and demand.   Loses add up and there is no demand and so forth.

Smashmouth2004

I sympathize for you and what your son might be going through but I have no confidence of any recruit that Bielema is currently recruiting! Yes there is a few on the current commit list I like but we no where have a roster of SEC caliber players and that was evident Saturday.

razorcash2

Is there a wristband fans could wear that says " I'm hear to support the players, just not the HC"?

EastTNHog

Quote from: tusked on November 05, 2017, 12:23:48 pm
Unfortunately Jeff Long has created the environment where fans think the only way to be heard is by not attending games.  His optics is such that he expects most fans to 'eat cake'.

If fans decide to let JL know by not attending games, it's Jeff Long that's to blame, not the fans.
Agree with this. When a product is not worth investing in, consumers don't buy the product. It's simple economics. Jeff Long provided this product to the fans, and the fans don't want to buy it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: jst01 on November 05, 2017, 12:19:34 pm

Yeah, that would have been great for recruiting.

You're exactly right FOTH. Unfortunately the best fans in the country have become the worst.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HawgWild

At yesterday's game, I was approached by a family member of player on a visit.  He saw my parent wristband and asked if I had someone on the team. I told them that I did.  They then asked, "it's homecoming and there's a crowd like this?"  "Why would you want to be part something where the fans turn on the boys during a tough time?"

Ouch!

jst01

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 05, 2017, 12:30:04 pm
Yeah, that would have been great for recruiting.

You're exactly right FOTH. Unfortunately the best fans in the country have become the worst.

You need to prepare yourself for a coaching change and several decommits and transfers. Not like we will be the only school dealing with it

STLHogFan

It doesn't help matters when you schedule teams like Coastal for homecoming!  Schedule and SEC team!
BEVO - It's what's for dinner.

RazorbacksFTW

You can't expect fans to turn out to watch a lousy football team simply because they are fans.
Fans expect to be entertained that's why we go to the games and watch them on tv.
You can't expect fans to throw their money away to show up for a game they don't want to be at simply for the sake of supporting the team like it's some kind of job or something.

BadHog

This is a perplexing situation as fans want to support the players. However, with the current administration, it seems the only method that will instigate a change is through the funds that flow, or more precisely, the quantity of the flow of funds, into the program from the fans.

Long only seems to view things from a financial perspective. He is the one who doesn't seem to care about the current players or the future of the program. This is a stepping stone position for him on which he intends to build his resume on integrity and fund raising. Beyond that, there is nothing in it for him.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

gangstaback

The fans are not "turning on the boys". That is a really stupid conclusion.

RazorbacksFTW

Quote from: hogz11 on November 05, 2017, 12:33:50 pm
When the "head coach" starts getting pissy at media members for asking legit tough questions and then takes a shot at fans in the same presser, you can forget it.

I won't be spending another Saturday in DWRRS until change comes. Doesn't mean I'm not a Razorback fan and it doesn't mean I don't support the players. But this "head coach" has this program in the crapper. Heck I listened to Cole Kelly's post game presser and he had the same attitude as Bert. Acted like he didn't understand what everyone's problem was. "A win is a win." "Coastal Carolina is a good team."

No one is buying that crap anymore or wants to hear it. The time for change is yesterday.

Drain the swamp

Get it done

Next coach is gonna have a hell of a job trying to coach the loser mentality out of some of these players.

twistitup

We all went to the game- it was 😢...not enough fans there to fill Ownby Stadium  is what my dad said....he's a Dallas guy and couldn't believe the lack of support- short concession lines was the only upside
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawgon

Every player that was dancing around like they had actually accomplished something yesterday needs to be gone in a perfect world.

SemperFi

I understand both arguments. I also understand that Jeff Long needs to own this and do something that gets the fans invested again. The wheels came off last year at Mizzou and then again at Va tech. We all got our hopes up that they would turn things around this year, but this team is completely disorganized. If they were a business you could honestly say that the doors are getting ready to be closed soon. No way can anyone justify what we're seeing on the field. To be honest, the frustration with this coaching staff is 2 to 3 years in the making and has now boiled over to what you're seeing in the stadiums. Can't blame folks for not going when they can't enjoy themselves.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

buldozer

I vote with my pocketbook. I'm not attending another game in person until CBB is history. Long doesn't get it and has publicly said so when he made the comment that CBB wasn't on the hot seat..... and if he doesn't fire him before we buy tickets next year, I'm not buying tickets. We have a nonresponsive AD and apparently only attendance and ticket sales will get his attention

moses_007

Quote from: BadHog on November 05, 2017, 12:36:47 pm
This is a perplexing situation as fans want to support the players. However, with the current administration, it seems the only method that will instigate a change is through the funds that flow, or more precisely, the quantity of the flow of funds, into the program from the fans.

Long only seems to view things from a financial perspective. He is the one who doesn't seem to care about the current players or the future of the program. This is a stepping stone position for him on which he intends to build his resume on integrity and fund raising. Beyond that, there is nothing in it for him.
Therein lies the problem with our entire program.  Neither the AD or our head football coach bleed Razorback red. They aren't concerned with anything but the money.

Mr Jade

Quote from: tusked on November 05, 2017, 12:23:48 pm

It's an awful truth. I wish it weren't. I've made most of the games this year, but it is becoming harder and harder to attend just due to apathy.

When some work issues crops up that needs a few hours of work on Saturday, it's becoming easier and easier to just blow the game off to deal with it. Especially with these early games.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

hogfanmd

One of my kids is likely to play college sports and is in the early stages of the recruiting process and aspiring to play in the SEC
As a parent the things that would concern me from yesterday.... I realize any school will have poor attendance in our circumstances

A-boos from the stadium ...very low class
B- will this coaching staff be here when my kid arrives
On campus.  - 

Most kids get attached and expect the staff to be there that recruited them

MuskogeeHogFan

I totally agree with you about supporting the kids and being there for them. 100%

No matter what is happening with the coaching staff or any transition, we need to always support the kids and I do.

Unfortunately, in a situation like this where the coaching staff isn't getting it done at a level that they should be, the only way that fans have to vote or exert influence of any kind is with their feet, their attendance and their dollars. It isn't a knock against the kids, but unfortunately they are the ones who suffer in all of this.

There is an "entertainment aspect" to all of this and folks aren't entertained with a poor game plan or a team that hasn't been sufficiently motivated or prepared to perform at a higher level. I think (and I hope) that everyone who attended on Saturday expected that game to be a blowout in favor of Arkansas. The fact that it wasn't creates a lot of unhappiness among a fan base. While not taking anything away from Coastal Carolina, this game should have been (for all intents and purposes) over at the half with nothing but reserves playing the second half.

This lack of interest doesn't have anything to do with the kids on the team or their effort or dedication or the love that fans may have for them as players, but as I said, they unfortunately have to suffer through all of this. It's sad. I hate it for them.
Go Hogs Go!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

ummm. no.

Haven't attended a game of the Bielema era and I won't waste a dollar of my money or a minute of my life on a dullard program.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

farmhawg

What kid would want to come play at this train Wreck? Only ones with ties to the school or state, we will get them anyways.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 05, 2017, 12:53:31 pm
ummm. no.

Haven't attended a game of the Bielema era and I won't waste a dollar of my money or a minute of my life on a dullard program.

That says a great deal. Fan of the Coach, not the program?
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

A steak is a "product." A shirt is a "product." I am not passionate about a steak or a shirt.

Shouldn't an athletic program and a university that I have supported for over 30 years be more than a "product?"

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: farmhawg on November 05, 2017, 12:54:06 pm
What kid would want to come play at this train Wreck? Only ones with ties to the school or state, we will get them anyways.

When you can't market a coaching staff that you are uncertain will remain in place, you market facilities and fan base.  What people could be doing by not coming to games  is putting program another 5 years back.

hobhog

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 05, 2017, 12:53:31 pm
ummm. no.

Speaks for a majority of people who complain the loudest. Don't contribute a dime to the program but be sure and criticize any and all things Hogs.

The world we live in.

gangstaback

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 05, 2017, 12:57:06 pm
A steak is a "product." A shirt is a "product." I am not passionate about a steak or a shirt.

Shouldn't an athletic program and a university that I have supported for over 30 years be more than a "product?"

If you're trying to reference economics, that would be best described as a Sunk Cost.

farmhawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 12:58:34 pm
When you can't market a coaching staff that you are uncertain will remain in place, you market facilities and fan base.  What people could be doing by not coming to games  is putting program another 5 years back.
Not True. This is a piss poor coaching staff that is totally clueless, any parent would steer their child somewhere else. Unless of said ties I stated. Spin it anyway you like crappy product equals less fans.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

#1Fan

All that CBB sunshine pumping got the players believing they were better than they were. "So and so is the best [fill in the position] I have ever coached."  It was nothing but rat poison.

STLHogFan

I'm a lifelong fan and an alum that lives six hours away. I use to always go to one game or two a season. I won't spend that kind of money anymore until Bielema is gone. I don't even yell at the tv anymore. I just shake my head and turn the channel.

EastTNHog

Maybe not to you, but to 90% of fans that are there to see ROI, it's becoming a crappy product.

Tusks

I don't remember thinking of the hogs as a product until Jeff Long made them a product.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hoghearted

Quote from: hogz11 on November 05, 2017, 01:10:31 pm
This right here needs to be talked about more.

It’s where most fans are. It’s where I’m at. I’ll be an Arkansas Razorback fan till the day I die. But Bert and this train wreck of a football program has spread apathy to the fan base. Fans have stopped yelling at the TV because they’ve accepted the team is just that bad and there’s no hope under the current regime.

That's worse than anger. Loss of passion, fans find other things to do and it gets harder getting them to come back.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

WilsonHog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 12:58:34 pm

Yours is a good point.

Consider this hypothetical (not just you, but everyone).

A recruit, or his parent, walks up to you and says the following: "I (or my son) could go to any number of schools. Why should I (he) come here?"

You are correct; for those kids who did not grow up wanting to be Razorbacks, there has to be a selling point. Legitimate shot at a national title, a path to the NFL, the environment, the head coach, SOMETHING.

STLHogFan

Like it or not college football is now big business. You put a crappy team on the field year after year the fans will stop going. Perfect example, turn on the tv right now and look at the empty stadium at NY Giants game. Stop preaching.

jst01

I feel like it is those kind of ties that create such strong emotions. People really do love the program and want success so much that going to the games and witnessing the awful play on the field is almost torture. Almost like forcing yourself to go watch an ex girlfriend/wife you still love kissing on another man. Why put yourself through that?

hoghearted

Fans might feel inclined to have patience and hope of a turnaround if they had faith in the AD to do the right thing. Long has successfully de-emphasized winning. Fans don't have faith that he will make a change. Sitting out games is the only way to make themselves heard.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hogfanmd

Quote from: STLHogFan on November 05, 2017, 01:06:22 pm
I'm a lifelong fan and an alum that lives six hours away. I use to always go to one game or two a season. I won't spend that kind of money anymore until Bielema is gone. I don't even yell at the tv anymore. I just shake my head and turn the channel.

This is important factor. 
I donate and buy the tickets.   If we are not even competitive then why drive 8 hours and waste more money on 2 nights hotel and food , etc.  no matter how big a fan you are, unless your time and resources are unlimited how do you not justify cutting your loses
I'm not culpable In setting the program back.