Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It is NOT time to empty the stadium

Started by FANONTHEHILL, November 05, 2017, 12:16:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonvilleJeff

I was there yesterday. I had 6 tickets and I was the only one that wanted to go. Even my 21 yr old son who's been going with me since he was 4 told me he was sorry but just absolutely didn't want to go. It's not fun anymore is what he told me.

The guy I sit by for the last 25 seasons had a talk with me during the game. We agreed that it was just sad to be there and see what it has become.

Agreed that we need big crowds for the team, but it is truly hard for most diehards like myself to watch in person. I think that's why folks aren't showing up. It's depressing so why put yourself through it.

ricepig

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 05, 2017, 01:42:30 pm
Slow ticket sales always follows poor attendance. Administrations know this and will move to head it off at the pass.

Our record season ticket sales was year 2012, dropped about 6-7000 for 2013. Better years in 2014 and 2016, we have a better schedule in even years, so I bet 2018 will be up.

bphi11ips

Quote from: jst01 on November 05, 2017, 12:35:05 pm
You need to prepare yourself for a coaching change and several decommits and transfers. Not like we will be the only school dealing with it

Who said anything about a coaching change?  That has nothing to do with this.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hawgon

Quote from: wildhogman on November 05, 2017, 01:56:58 pm
or you could just go away. Or better, have fan on the hill arrange a meeting so you can tell those players to their face they need to be gone in "your perfect world".  People like you are the reason I hate Nutt. What he did to certain players and to the program is unforgivable. What you did and are doing is equivalent to treason.

I'd tell him and his daddy too.  The world doesn't get any easier.  Toughen up buttercup.  Those mean old fans are the least of your worries from here on out.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 12:41:44 pm
Every player that was dancing around like they had actually accomplished something yesterday needs to be gone in a perfect world.

Everyone of those players has worked year round since they were little kids to be one of the men in the arena. What have you done?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2017, 01:55:20 pm
So, are you going to buy season tickets with a coaching change, be honest, now.

Most fans are energized after a coaching change where the previous guy was awful. Hope is restored.

The NewEra

As much as I respect you FANONTHEHILL I disagree.  There are two more opportunities for fans to show their dissatisfaction with the direction of this football program during home games.   If fans don't approve of the direction of this football program then now is the time to make a point by not showing up and supporting the coach and the product he has given us after five years.  The only way for fans to make any meaningful show of force is by not showing up for the games, especially the CBS game after Thanksgiving.  Massive empty seats that day will send a message to everyone on the hill.  Once the season is over then the fan base collectively will have lost their voice and can forget about making any statement.  Any voice we might have will be muted and too late.

The kids and potential recruits are a casualty for sure, and I hate that.  But to sit back and act like everything is o.k., and not speak up when there is an opportunity is a mistake that may well have us here next year in the same situation.  For me it's the lesser of two evils.

hawgon

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 05, 2017, 02:02:20 pm
Everyone of those players has worked year round since they were little kids to be one of the men in the arena. What have you done?

And if that is th best they can do, it is no wonder this is where we are.

Wants2Win

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 05, 2017, 02:02:20 pm
Not good enough. It isn't working. Period.

hogfanmd

Look, as a parent it's frustrating, you want your kid to be on a good team, be supported By the fans, and like the coaching staff.   Now the coaching staff may be gone, and for the kids already there, it's a tough deal having new staff and can lead to a lot of uncertainty.  I get it. 

Also Losing brings out the worst in fans. 

With that said , I believe that Long will make the best decision for the players and the program.   In my option, that means a new coach,   If coach Beliema is back then those of us who donate and buy tickets can make what ever decision is best for us.   Those who post and only watch on TV can continue to do the same and be out nothing.   If we get a new coach perhaps some of you TV watchers will show some love and buy some tickets.  Either way life will go
On.   

ricepig

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 05, 2017, 02:02:52 pm
Most fans are energized after a coaching change where the previous guy was awful. Hope is restored.

I guess you didn't see the post on season ticket sales in John L's year, and the first under a new coach??

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Augustus on November 05, 2017, 01:50:09 pm
Excuse me... but... just as it was your son's decision to attend the UofA and play for the UofA... it's every fan's decision to attend or not attend a game.

None of us fans "demanded" your son attend or play for the UofA. So... don't presume to "demand" fans to attend games.

We have a legitimate issue with the state of Arkansas football. And, on Homecoming weekend, the empty stadium is the best way to voice those concerns. 

NOT, as you suggest: "Contact the Razorback Foundation, The Board of Trustrees, your local state congressman, or the chancellor."... 

and your suggestion of "contact your local state congressman" is absolutely ridiculous. I want my state congressman to govern. Not wasting his time & tax payer dollars focusing on the Razorback Football program that he can't do anything about, anyways.

How should answer that question asked by the parent of a visiting recruit? 

How about: "Well, my son is pursuing his degree in <insert major here>, and the UofA has one of the best <insert major here> programs in the country. Given the statistics, I realize my son won't be going to the NFL, so this is just a means to an end, for my son to get his degree... They are all just kids going to college, after all, and they just happen to play football on Saturdays.

Also... if my son does do well on the football field, and my son decides to stay & work in Arkansas after college... I know that the State of Arkansas will stay true to him.
- A former quarterback (Clint Stoerner) opened a insurance agency and was successful, because Hog fans loved him
- A former tight end (DJ Williams) is a member of Arkansas TV news & sports media, because Hog fans loved him
- A former basketball player (Sydney Moncrief) owned a very successful car dealership, because Hog fans loved him
- A former quarterback (Quinn Grovey) is a member of Arkansas TV news & sports media, because Hog fans loved him
- A former linebacker (David Bazzel) is a member of Arkansas TV/Radio news & sports media, because Hog fans loved him... he went on to start the Nationally respected Broyles Award.

This is not about my son, or the players... this is about the fact that we all recognize that a coaching change is needed... and is most likely coming. And, I would hope you & your son account for that, before considering the UofA. Hopefully the Administration will act decisively to remove any doubt about the future of the Razorbacks."

Don't sugarcoat it... To do so would be insulting to the recruit and the parents.  The Razorback football program is in complete disarray.  Yesterday, we almost lost to a 1st year FBS team, the worst in the Sunbelt conference, with an interim head coach and a backup QB & RB.

I feel for your son and all the kids that have had to endure the last 5 years of what has been a calamity of Razorback Football. But the fans are actually on your's & your son's side.  Fans are hopefully making their voices heard to correct the calamity that has become Razorback Football.

I haven't demanded anything.  The post was to remind people that fan support is a major aspect of recruiting.  Recruits and their families pay attention. The attendance reflects poorly on recruiting and the future of the program. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Wants2Win

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 02:04:54 pm
I haven't demanded anything.  The post was to remind people that fan support is a major aspect of recruiting.  Recruits and their families pay attention. The attendance reflects poorly on recruiting and the future of the program.
Losing to coastal Carolina isn't exactly a good look either.

The NewEra

Quote from: Augustus on November 05, 2017, 01:50:09 pm
Excuse me... but... just as it was your son's decision to attend the UofA and play for the UofA... it's every fan's decision to attend or not attend a game.

None of us fans "demanded" your son attend or play for the UofA. So... don't presume to "demand" fans to attend games.

We have a legitimate issue with the state of Arkansas football. And, on Homecoming weekend, the empty stadium is the best way to voice those concerns. 

NOT, as you suggest: "Contact the Razorback Foundation, The Board of Trustrees, your local state congressman, or the chancellor."... 

and your suggestion of "contact your local state congressman" is absolutely ridiculous. I want my state congressman to govern. Not wasting his time & tax payer dollars focusing on the Razorback Football program that he can't do anything about, anyways.

How should answer that question asked by the parent of a visiting recruit? 

How about: "Well, my son is pursuing his degree in <insert major here>, and the UofA has one of the best <insert major here> programs in the country. Given the statistics, I realize my son won't be going to the NFL, so this is just a means to an end, for my son to get his degree... They are all just kids going to college, after all, and they just happen to play football on Saturdays.

Also... if my son does do well on the football field, and my son decides to stay & work in Arkansas after college... I know that the State of Arkansas will stay true to him.
- A former quarterback (Clint Stoerner) opened a insurance agency and was successful, because Hog fans loved him
- A former tight end (DJ Williams) is a member of Arkansas TV news & sports media, because Hog fans loved him
- A former basketball player (Sydney Moncrief) owned a very successful car dealership, because Hog fans loved him
- A former quarterback (Quinn Grovey) is a member of Arkansas TV news & sports media, because Hog fans loved him
- A former linebacker (David Bazzel) is a member of Arkansas TV/Radio news & sports media, because Hog fans loved him... he went on to start the Nationally respected Broyles Award.

This is not about my son, or the players... this is about the fact that we all recognize that a coaching change is needed... and is most likely coming. And, I would hope you & your son account for that, before considering the UofA. Hopefully the Administration will act decisively to remove any doubt about the future of the Razorbacks."

Don't sugarcoat it... To do so would be insulting to the recruit and the parents.  The Razorback football program is in complete disarray.  Yesterday, we almost lost to a 1st year FBS team, the worst in the Sunbelt conference, with an interim head coach and a backup QB & RB.

I feel for your son and all the kids that have had to endure the last 5 years of what has been a calamity of Razorback Football. But the fans are actually on your's & your son's side.  Fans are hopefully making their voices heard to correct the calamity that has become Razorback Football.

That was an exceptional post.

ricepig

Fan, the vast majority of those posting about not going to the games don't go anyway, it's just noise. We'll see what attendance is for MSU, that will be a better barometer on fan support for the players.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2017, 02:00:12 pm
Our record season ticket sales was year 2012, dropped about 6-7000 for 2013. Better years in 2014 and 2016, we have a better schedule in even years, so I bet 2018 will be up.

Lol using a completely bizarre situation to try and make a point is not sound.

You actually back my point in that the fan base was not full of hope or expectations after Petrino was fired.

I guess you think the fans are full of hope when they quit attending. When that happens ptb will move to restore hope and maintain ticket sales.

The NewEra

I think attendance reflects less poorly on the program and our ability to recruit than the past two years under Bielema.  But somehow you want to lay this at the doorstep of fans who are saying enough is enough.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 01:53:55 pm
Does a normal college student who is half assing it and making Ds and Fs deserve your support or does someone need to tell him to quit wasting everyone's time and get a job? 

Long past time for someone to read the riot act to these kids. Wearing that uniform is a privilege and if they don't have enough pride to do better than they are doing no matter what kind of a fat slob coach they have, then they need to quit wasting everyone's time.

Is it just me or is it just sad that grown men are yelling at kids for not doing enough to win games for the team they support.

Tell me that these kids haven't woke up at the crack of dawn for months to work out and push each other to try and better themselves and having an outside chance of ever getting picked up by an NFL team. All while you sit on your couch and tell them to quit wasting your time.

Pathetic.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2017, 02:08:19 pm
Fan, the vast majority of those posting about not going to the games don't go anyway, it's just noise. We'll see what attendance is for MSU, that will be a better barometer on fan support for the players.

Maybe the Phi Delts can show some leadership and start a campuswide campaign to get there on time and stay in seats after halftime for Ms. State. Seriously.

wildhogman

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 01:55:48 pm
Leave the Army analogies to those of us who have actually been in it.
You really think your the only who served?  I knew I didn't like you, but you sir are a pompous arrogant egotistical ass. 
I have more respect for the men in the army who did no more the peel tators for 4 years then I ever would you

Carl Lazlo

How many fans were showing up to Miami Hurricane football games before they hired a winning coach in Mark Richt? Did it set their program back?  This thread is stupid.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 05, 2017, 12:57:06 pm
A steak is a "product." A shirt is a "product." I am not passionate about a steak or a shirt.

Shouldn't an athletic program and a university that I have supported for over 30 years be more than a "product?"

Exactly, you must have taken some marketing classes with Dub Ashton

hawgon

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 05, 2017, 02:11:12 pm
Is it just me or is it just sad that grown men are yelling at kids for not doing enough to win games for the team they support.

Tell me that these kids haven't woke up at the crack of dawn for months to work out and push each other to try and better themselves and having an outside chance of ever getting picked up by an NFL team. All while you sit on your couch and tell them to quit wasting your time.

Pathetic.

They have no pride, and they need to be told that their level of effort is unacceptable.  Apparently, their coaches won't do that.

hogfanmd

These kids are working hard.
It's the coaches job to prepare them and place them in situations that give them the best chances for success.

Please don't blur the issues with the coaches who are paid to do a job with the kids. 

hawgon

Quote from: wildhogman on November 05, 2017, 02:12:11 pm
You really think your the only who served?  I knew I didn't like you, but you sir are a pompous arrogant egotistical ass. 
I have more respect for the men in the army who did no more the peel tators for 4 years then I ever would you

If I wanted to be liked, i wouldn't tell the truth.

hogfanmd

If my kids misbehave and I don't hold them accountable who's ultimately responsible

majestic

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2017, 01:55:20 pm
So, are you going to buy season tickets with a coaching change, be honest, now.
I gave mine up after the 2006 season, as a sort of protest against Nutt. I was tempted to get back in during the BP era, but funds were pretty tight then. Bielema's hire didn't really excite me, so I've just attended games when I want to. Honestly, between having friends with tickets and Stubhub, I don't foresee the need for me to ever have season tickets/make the donation again. I'll maintain my golf membership because that's the only way I get to play that course, but I can attend football games whenever I want on a per-game basis for a lot less $.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

hawgon

Quote from: hogfanmd on November 05, 2017, 02:15:16 pm
It's the coaches job to prepare them and place them in situations that give them the best chances for success.

Please don't blur the issues with the coaches who are paid to do a job with the kids.

It isn't complete the kids' fault because expectations and demands aren't high enough, but when we get a new coach, they'll discover that they weren't working hard at all.

hawgon

Quote from: hogfanmd on November 05, 2017, 02:15:16 pm

Nm

wildhogman

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 02:15:47 pm
If I wanted to be liked, i wouldn’t tell the truth.
You remind me of the people in the 60's and 70's.  Soldiers returning from Nam getting spit on in protest Because the country was split in its trust of the leadership. They didn't like the president nd congress so to show their dislike they turned their bak on returning Vets.  Enjoy being the one spitting on the soldiers now.  What a proud moment this must be

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: The NewEra on November 05, 2017, 02:10:06 pm
I think attendance reflects less poorly on the program and our ability to recruit than the past two years under Bielema.  But somehow you want to lay this at the doorstep of fans who are saying enough is enough.

The parents of recruits aren't naive enough to think things are fine here.  They know better than that.  But when the ship is sinking and you don't know who is going to be left standing, the school, the facilities, and the fans are all you have left to market.  That's the point of the original post. The roster can not afford a miss year in recruiting and everything that can be done market the program in a positive way needs to be done. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 02:14:05 pm
They have no pride, and they need to be told that their level of effort is unacceptable.  Apparently, their coaches won't do that.

Please. Quit just spouting crap. You have no clue what coaches have said and haven't said.

For whatever reason, we just aren't very good this year. It 100% stems from coaching, and if they're not putting these kids in a chance to win then they need to go (which has been discussed ad nauseum), but what I said is true. Grown men sitting around on their computers insulting these kids is pathetic and there's no way around it.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

ricepig

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 05, 2017, 02:08:36 pm
Lol using a completely bizarre situation to try and make a point is not sound.

You actually back my point in that the fan base was not full of hope or expectations after Petrino was fired.

I guess you think the fans are full of hope when they quit attending. When that happens ptb will move to restore hope and maintain ticket sales.

It was a 4-8 season in 2012, a new coaching change didn't increase ticket sales.   Petrino didn't coach in 2012, he was long gone. How come season ticket sales rebounded well in 2014 after a 3-9 season??

hogfanmd

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 02:17:59 pm
It isn't complete the kids' fault because expectations and demands aren't high enough, but when we get a new coach, they'll discover that they weren't working hard at all.

I agree with that they may not been working the right way.  I know players who for sure didn't like the nutt to Petrino transition

Pleasing activity vs pleasing results

hawgon

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 05, 2017, 02:20:03 pm
Please. Quit just spouting crap. You have no clue what coaches have said and haven't said.

For whatever reason, we just aren't very good this year. It 100% stems from coaching, and if they're not putting these kids in a chance to win then they need to go (which has been discussed ad nauseum), but what I said is true. Grown men sitting around on their computers insulting these kids is pathetic and there's no way around it.

I've seen lots of lack of effort out there the last few years.  Coaching didn't make a team leader shoplift from a bowl sponsor and so on and so forth. 

Keyser Sooieze

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 05, 2017, 12:16:53 pm
People are mad, that's understandable.  But don't stop attending games.  Get on the phone, write an email, write a letter.  Contact the Razorback Foundation, The Board of Trustrees, your local state congressman, or the chancellor.  The reason I say this is because it really doesn't hurt the university to have an empty seat that they've already sold. 

But here is something that does hurt the program.  My son is a redshirt sophomore.  He has two more years.  I want 2018 and 2019 to be better.  But I also want 2020 and beyond to be even better than that.  At yesterday's game, I was approached by a family member of player on a visit.  He saw my parent wristband and asked if I had someone on the team. I told them that I did.  They then asked, "it's homecoming and there's a crowd like this?"  "Why would you want to be part something where the fans turn on the boys during a tough time?"

So how am I supposed to answer that question?  Young men that could help this team in the future are watching what the fans are doing this year.  If the recruits don't think they'll be supported, they could likely come back to Razorback Stadium on the other sideline.  Think about that before you boycott games.

I know you're pissed off.  I'm pissed off.  But for the sake of the future of the program you need to show players, current and thise that could potentially help this program, that you will be there for them.  Please keep this in mind when you consider the Miss St and Mizzou games.

I agree. Being there for the athletes is important. I'm with the team through thick and thin, and will be there in person or in spirit at every game. That's what it means to be a fan. Those who leave early to show their contempt are only pouring it on the athletes and potential athletes. The Admin doesn't give a rip if someone buys a ticket and then walks out early, or doesn't show up to fill the seats they've already bought. It might make you feel better to fool yoursef into thinking you're doing something to invigorate change, but the only change you're invigorating is making young men feel like the state they represent dislikes them and making potential recruits change their commitment. Grow up and cheer on the team.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 02:17:19 pm

Since you seem to have the complete pulse of everything that is going on within the locker rooms, can you please at least explain your accusations?

What is the current state of work that the kids are putting in? And how much more is the correct amount? What has CBB demanded and what were his expectations?

I appreciate your definitive statements, so if you could detail some of what you said, I'd appreciate it.

ricepig

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 05, 2017, 02:25:28 pm
Since you seem to have the complete pulse of everything that is going on within the locker rooms, can you please at least explain your accusations?

What is the current state of work that the kids are putting in? And how much more is the correct amount? What has CBB demanded and what were his expectations?

I appreciate your definitive statements, so if you could detail some of what you said, I'd appreciate it.

Lol, good luck......

hawgon

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 05, 2017, 02:25:28 pm

Do you believe we got the most out of our talent yesterday?  You shall know them by their fruits.

Hogtimes

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 05, 2017, 01:41:34 pm
There are 105 players who deserve 100% of your support.

Nope... have to disagree

Rudy Baylor

The fans are being treated like cattle

Shell out mega dollars and be cramped in like sardines with no room to breathe?

The seating alone makes DRRS a bad product

I'll say it again

The seating alone makes DRRS a bad product

Fans all over the nation are getting sick of all the respective tangible and intangible squeezes

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 05, 2017, 12:56:19 pm
That says a great deal. Fan of the Coach, not the program?

Fan of neither at this point.

Maybe start a dental school in the state. Give the state's residents something that will actually impact their lives and create professional careers for thousands of Arkansans and improve the quality of life throughout the state.

You know real actual meaningful impact over superfluous athletic entertainment.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 02:23:12 pm
I've seen lots of lack of effort out there the last few years.  Coaching didn't make a team leader shoplift from a bowl sponsor and so on and so forth.

I ask about grown men attacking kids who ARE putting forth an effort, so you say that there's been some lack of effort over the last 3 years, then use Sprinkle shoplifting as your reasoning...?

Ha ha ha...ok...

Rudy Baylor

The future of the program is fine

It's the Right Now that's the disaster

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: hobhog on November 05, 2017, 01:01:04 pm
Speaks for a majority of people who complain the loudest. Don't contribute a dime to the program but be sure and criticize any and all things Hogs.

The world we live in.

Well my issues w/ the Arkansas program began well before Bielema was hired.  WELL BEFORE. I had hope like we all did. I lived on the west coast when I would have been hyped enough to attend a game but the wheels fell off before I came back to the state to help care for our elderly family members.

The ROI for you suckers that are donating to a limp dick program has been a net negative investment for decades now.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2017, 02:28:46 pm
Do you believe we got the most out of our talent yesterday?  You shall know them by their fruits.

As I said before, I know there is a lack of coaching. The staff needs to go.

Now...if you could answer my questions, I'd appreciate it. Because you've defended all statements that these kids deserve to be told by completely random grown men that they need to quit wasting your time.

navyhog24

Fanonthehill, if you give people money to drive up there and go, I'm sure they might think about it and go, but if you actually expect them to spend their hard earned for the crappy product being put on the field, then you are sadly mistaken. That's the definition of insane.

Jeff Long wants to run this university like a business. The fans will treat it like a business. If they don't like the product, why go when they have better things to spend their money on?

#1Fan

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 05, 2017, 02:38:29 pm
Fanonthehill, if you give people money to drive up there and go, I'm sure they might think about it and go, but if you actually expect them to spend their hard earned for the crappy product being put on the field, then you are sadly mistaken. That's the definition of insane.

Jeff Long wants to run this university like a business. The fans will treat it like a business. If they don't like the product, why go when they have better things to spend their money on?
Dilly Dilly

Ex-Trumpet

People are not showing up.  Some of those have tickets and choose to do something else with their time.  They feel that something else is a better use of their time.  Good for them.

Many of those same people believe that if folks show up then the powers that be will see that everything is just fine the way it is.  Right or wrong, that's the way they see it.

And, after seeing the collapses last year and early this year--with no changes--I'm not so sure they are wrong.  I'd like to thing it's a done deal and CBB is a lame duck.  But nothing from this administration has given me any confidence to believe that is actually the case.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?