Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heading to West Virginia in a couple of weeks

Started by Albert Einswine, March 18, 2014, 07:32:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

An old Air Force buddy of mine has renewed a long standing invite to join him and his sons for a fly fishing excursion to his cabin on the Shavers Fork between Glady and Bemis West Virginia, about 15 miles south of Elkins. He and I fly fished the trout streams of the Michigan Upper Peninsula extensively while we were stationed up there in the '80s.

We basically cut our teeth on fly fishing and fly tying together when we were stationed up there. It was a natural friendship, both of us from the sticks and brought up with a love for hunting and fishing. Haven't seen Ron or his wife Dorothy since '89, but we've stayed in touch off and on over all these years. Really looking forward to this trip, I've never been to West Virginia or Pennsylvania and my route will put me through there, too. I like to add to the list of states I can say I've been in when opportunity presents.

Should be able to get some good photos on the trip and I'll post 'em when I get the time.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

Have a great trip.  Just no Deliverance stuff.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 18, 2014, 09:41:57 am
Have a great trip.  Just no Deliverance stuff.

This trip is to West Virginia, not north Georgia, so all is well. lol
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

jrulz83

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 18, 2014, 07:32:29 am
An old Air Force buddy of mine has renewed a long standing invite to join him and his sons for a fly fishing excursion to his cabin on the Shavers Fork between Glady and Bemis West Virginia, about 15 miles south of Elkins. He and I fly fished the trout streams of the Michigan Upper Peninsula extensively while we were stationed up there in the '80s.

We basically cut our teeth on fly fishing and fly tying together when we were stationed up there. It was a natural friendship, both of us from the sticks and brought up with a love for hunting and fishing. Haven't seen Ron or his wife Dorothy since '89, but we've stayed in touch off and on over all these years. Really looking forward to this trip, I've never been to West Virginia or Pennsylvania and my route will put me through there, too. I like to add to the list of states I can say I've been in when opportunity presents.

Should be able to get some good photos on the trip and I'll post 'em when I get the time.

Sounds great, I've never wet a line in WV. My fly fishing experience is primarily in the Rockies, along with a couple trips to the Smoky Mountains. Nothing beats a freestone Rocky Mountain stream.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Hope you have a great trip, Albert.  Nothing better than old friends combined with a fishing or hunting trip.  Sounds like a lot of fun.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 18, 2014, 04:05:52 pm
Sounds great, I've never wet a line in WV. My fly fishing experience is primarily in the Rockies, along with a couple trips to the Smoky Mountains. Nothing beats a freestone Rocky Mountain stream.

That's definitely on my bucket list, Colorado and especially Montana.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on March 18, 2014, 06:11:56 pm
Hope you have a great trip, Albert.  Nothing better than old friends combined with a fishing or hunting trip.  Sounds like a lot of fun.

I expect it will be pretty sweet. I'll be fishing in the Allegheny Mountains and the whole territory will be a new experience for me.

jrulz83

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 18, 2014, 09:31:29 pm

That's definitely on my bucket list, Colorado and especially Montana.

Caught trout in both, mostly on small streams in wilderness areas. I have hit some of the famous bigger waters, but my goal always is to get away from people; so I tend to want to shy away from the big water. To me, wet wading small streams in a wilderness with a 3 or 4 weight is just more fun than having to deal with waders, slick rocks, and a thousand other idiots on the Blue Ribbon waters.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 18, 2014, 10:06:48 pm
Caught trout in both, mostly on small streams in wilderness areas. I have hit some of the famous bigger waters, but my goal always is to get away from people; so I tend to want to shy away from the big water. To me, wet wading small streams in a wilderness with a 3 or 4 weight is just more fun than having to deal with waders, slick rocks, and a thousand other idiots on the Blue Ribbon waters.

That sounds pretty sweet, I need to add a 4wt to my repertoire, as it stands I have a 5wt, 8wt and 9wt.

95_alum

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 18, 2014, 07:32:29 am
An old Air Force buddy of mine has renewed a long standing invite to join him and his sons for a fly fishing excursion to his cabin on the Shavers Fork between Glady and Bemis West Virginia, about 15 miles south of Elkins.

Have either of you rafted the Gauley? (The put in is right below the Summerville Dam, south of where you guys will be fly fishing).

jrulz83

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 18, 2014, 10:13:19 pm

That sounds pretty sweet, I need to add a 4wt to my repertoire, as it stands I have a 5wt, 8wt and 9wt.

I have a 4wt, 5wt, and a 7wt that somebody set down by a log and forgot about 4 miles deep in a wilderness in Colorado. The 8' 4wt and 8'6" 5wt are four piece and the 9' 7wt is a two piece.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: 95_alum on March 18, 2014, 10:27:34 pm
Have either of you rafted the Gauley? (The put in is right below the Summerville Dam, south of where you guys will be fly fishing).

I've never rafted anything, Ron may have, I'll have to ask. I kinda doubt it, though, he's more of the mountain man type, hunter, trapper, ginseng digger, fisherman, etc... and this will be my first trip to WV.

Hawgon

I floated the New River in the New River Gorge.  It was quite the experience.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Hawgon on March 18, 2014, 10:43:14 pm
I floated the New River in the New River Gorge.  It was quite the experience.

Several of my fellow maintenance techs here in Indiana have rafted both the New and Gauley Rivers there. Fly fishing is my thing, though. Just floating on water is a waste of valuable water to me, haha.

Hawgon

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 18, 2014, 10:52:26 pm
Several of my fellow maintenance techs here in Indiana have rafted both the New and Gauley Rivers there. Fly fishing is my thing, though. Just floating on water is a waste of valuable water to me, haha.

There couldn't have been any fishing that day.  It was the first weekend in March that you could float and the river was up and muddy.  And by up, I mean a six hour float took two hours.  There are class 5 rapids there and some of those holes were flat out awe inspiring.  You knew that if you entered that stretch wrong and got in the wrong spot, there would have been no power on earth that could have saved your life.

Hogoverseas

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 18, 2014, 01:38:51 pm

This trip is to West Virginia, not north Georgia, so all is well. lol

You obviously have never been to West Virginia then. There is a reason that individuals make West Virginia jokes on the East Coast. We did some training there and people didn't take to kindly to "outsiders". haha

However, it is a beautiful state and I hope the weather warms up before you all go.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Hogoverseas on March 19, 2014, 08:02:51 am
You obviously have never been to West Virginia then. There is a reason that individuals make West Virginia jokes on the East Coast. We did some training there and people didn't take to kindly to "outsiders". haha

However, it is a beautiful state and I hope the weather warms up before you all go.

I'm the guest of lifelong WV natives who are old friends from the Air Force. I'm sure I'll be just fine.

DeltaBoy

Never been there but I seen plenty of pictures ... it some pretty country.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

cal34

Albert Einswine

Quote from: cal34 on March 20, 2014, 05:45:29 pm
Have a safe and great trip!

Thanks man! Hope to get some good pics of the Blue Ridge Mtns and hopefully some nice looking brookies and browns.

grayhawg

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 22, 2014, 06:53:48 pm

Thanks man! Hope to get some good pics of the Blue Ridge Mtns and hopefully some nice looking brookies and browns.
Be careful and have a great time.

Albert Einswine