Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What brand of ammunition do you shoot?

Started by DOGALUM, February 15, 2014, 09:29:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DOGALUM

Just curious what people are shooting, what they are shooting it through, and their opinions of that combo.   

I got a chance to do some shooting today.  Had a bad experience on my third round.  Bolt would not lock down.  Pulled out the round and found this.   

Just a 55gr Remington PSP.   I was comparing the Remington ammo against some Federal and Fiocchi. 

I've had bad rounds before but never seen something like this from the factory.   

[attachment deleted by admin]
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

CallThemHawgs!

Most of the time quality control is so good on most stuff these days that I dont worry about it too much.

I have noticed a much higher % of failure to fire out of my walmart batch of .17 HMR than elsewhere, but that could just be a bad batch.

pigture perfect

I generally shoot Remington for factory stuff. I do so because of its Arkansas ties. I've never had a malfunction with center fire ammo.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Rzbakfromwaybak

I reload for large rifle, but usually keep a box of factory ammo around for each different caliber that I have for comparison.  About 10 years ago, I owned 3 different 270's.  I was checking a new bullet & load to adjust the bullet depth in the case.  During the process, I pulled out one of my factory loads (Winchester 130gr soft point) & tried to chamber it in my gun.  The bolt would not even come close to closing.  Opened my safe & pulled out my other two .270's.  That factory round would not chamber in either of those two rifles either.  There were 3 rounds out of that box that would not chamber in any of my rifles, the other 17 would.  Talked to my gunsmith about this, said he had seen it before, in Winchester & Remington.  Sometimes, just poor quality control on some of the batches. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 15, 2014, 09:29:40 pm
Just curious what people are shooting, what they are shooting it through, and their opinions of that combo.   

I got a chance to do some shooting today.  Had a bad experience on my third round.  Bolt would not lock down.  Pulled out the round and found this.   

Just a 55gr Remington PSP.   I was comparing the Remington ammo against some Federal and Fiocchi. 

I've had bad rounds before but never seen something like this from the factory.

Probably a good thing that round didn't chamber.  Can't be 100% sure, but in your picture, looks as if the primer is loose.....& not seated tight in the primer pocket. Looks like the brass is cracked around the primer pocket.  This bad brass case should have never been put on the assembly line. Poor quality control. I would visibly start checking each round at home before I went to the range, specially that brand & caliber. 

DOGALUM

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on February 15, 2014, 11:31:38 pm
Probably a good thing that round didn't chamber.  Can't be 100% sure, but in your picture, looks as if the primer is loose.....& not seated tight in the primer pocket. Looks like the brass is cracked around the primer pocket.  This bad brass case should have never been put on the assembly line. Poor quality control. I would visibly start checking each round at home before I went to the range, specially that brand & caliber. 

Yeah....a very good thing.   I've had good luck with Remington ammunition in this caliber.   My  250s hate the Winchester ammo and don't seem to do any better with anything else than the Remington ammo unless I'm shooting ballistic tip varmint stuff.   

Best I can tell, the primer couldn't seat because of an edge that wasn't smoothed.   just some extra brass there.  Poor quality control is right.  I have never made a habit of checking factory loads but I bet I do from now on. 

kodiakisland

Reloads.  Can't afford to shoot factory ammo.

As an aside, this is why you check every single round for a DGR to make sure it will fully chamber before going hunting.  I don't do this for my carry pistols, but do inspect the rounds as I load them.  Had a few bad rounds in various M16s, m249s, and M60s but training cleared them pretty quick.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DOGALUM

Quote from: kodiakisland on February 16, 2014, 12:22:50 am
Reloads.  Can't afford to shoot factory ammo.
I've always been curious about reloading.....but I don't think that I shoot enough to justify the initial expense and the time.   (though I think that I would love spending the time)   

kodiakisland

I enjoy the time spent reloading, much like those who tie flies.  Plus, I shoot a lot of oddball stuff that is hard to find in factory loads.  I would hate to add up what I have in equipment and components though.  It's an addiction for me.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Wayne Watson

Pretty much Remington across the board whether it's rifle or shotgun.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

titsonboar

Remington
Most other issues are about gun care, cleaning, worn parts etc

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 16, 2014, 12:07:45 am

Yeah....a very good thing.   I've had good luck with Remington ammunition in this caliber.   My  250s hate the Winchester ammo and don't seem to do any better with anything else than the Remington ammo unless I'm shooting ballistic tip varmint stuff.   

Best I can tell, the primer couldn't seat because of an edge that wasn't smoothed.   just some extra brass there.  Poor quality control is right.  I have never made a habit of checking factory loads but I bet I do from now on.

Your barrels just seem to like the Remington bullets better (&/or)....Remington is probably using a different rifle powder in that caliber... than Winchester & the others you have tried.  Very common to see this. Often while reloading, you can keep the same bullet & powder...& just change the amount of powder by 1/2 to one grain.....& see a night & day difference in accuracy.  Different pressures, can create different results.

pigture perfect

I have 3, 30-06. 1 is a Savage 110 that is my primary. Most accurate gun I've ever shot. Only problem is that the tolerance is so close, not all factory loads and many of my reloads won't properly seat. With my reloads I can adjust, factory loads, I just use in my A303 or 742 Remington's.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Pudgepork

I reload most everything I shoot now.  When buying factory, I like Remington but I'll buy
others readily.   Taking a quick look at what is on hand I see a mixture of Win, Fed, Hornady, Remington,Fiochi.

I bought a box of Federal 9mm from Wal Mart a couple of years back and I don't know
why but I opened the box in the parking lot and 2 of the primers had been put in upside
down.  A city cop was parked close to me and I asked him about it and he said he has seen that several times even in bullets that come through the police dept.  He told me to take them back in but I just brought them home, dismantled the bullets and flipped the
primers myself.

1highhog

DeltaBoy

Federal, Winchester Shotgun, Remington Centerfire Rifle , Corbon and Hornady for CR Pistol and CCI 22 for Hunting and Federal bulk packs for plinking.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Albert Einswine

Remington, Federal and Winchester a lot, but I'll shoot near anything in ball ammo as long as it's in brass case. I don't like steel cased ammo. My mini-14 doesn't like steel cased ammo and I just have a steel bias.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Hawgon

Lately, whatever I can find.  But generally, I only buy factory when I want some more brass.

Pudgepork

Quote from: Hawgon on February 18, 2014, 07:54:41 pm
Lately, whatever I can find.  But generally, I only buy factory when I want some more brass.

I agree.  I'd much rather have brass.  I bought one box of steel cased 9mm and after
shooting, I decided I'd not buy more.  Trying to find those little brass Houdini's is part of
the fun(aggravation)

kibster

I reload all my handgun ammo for two reasons, I can get the exact load I want and It is the only economical way.  I shot close to 7k 9mm last year.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

kibster

The biggest problem I have ran into reloading is getting the components I need.  I am not much of a tinkerer, so I have a set up I like and don't want to deviate from it.

Brass:  range brass, not really an issue.
Powder:  Winchester WST (toughest thing to find right now)
Primers:  Winchester or CCI.  (I like Winchester better, but CCI is easier to find and cheaper)
Bullets:  Black Bullets International ( https://blackbulletsinternational.com/) Ran by great people and one of the most accurate and cheapest products on the market. 
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

ArchitectHog

Games don't make people violent, lag does.
Quote from: KEYS on October 07, 2009, 10:45:57 am
The Hogs should play every HOME game in Little Rock just as soon as the campus is moved there... hence the meaning of "home."
Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on August 13, 2010, 08:47:52 am
We can no longer afford to play in Little Rock. The university is in Fayetteville.

root_hawg

Remington-270 and game load
Black Cloud for quackers