Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

That basketball game was pitiful

Started by Lanny, December 30, 2005, 09:04:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SardisHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 31, 2005, 08:26:52 am
someone last night said they'd much rather see Nutt as our basketball coach than Heath because he said Nutt was a proven winner and Heath was a loser...that one blew me away

Some people just like to post to see their own posts.
I hope this team does not give up by the end of the year but I still don't know. I will try not to be too much of a pestimest before mid season but I still have no faith. This team has more talent than the law allows and still looks so poor.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

othermac

December 31, 2005, 09:16:45 am #51 Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 09:18:29 am by othermac
the team is loaded with talent, apparently we will need some type of landmark game to get them out of their shells, to give them confidence so that they KNOW they can go toe to toe with the upper echelon teams. lets see, i guess that makes the alabama road game our coming out party, that would be good timing,dream about winning that game, whoa, we would have some mo on our side.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

hogman64

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 31, 2005, 08:47:14 am
Quote from: SardisHog on December 31, 2005, 08:35:03 am
Kinda like last years 13-1 start.

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 31, 2005, 08:26:52 am
Quote from: SardisHog on December 31, 2005, 08:18:15 am
The game was badly played and even more so coached. There is no school going on and practices should be an easy thing to get the player attentions. Sorry this team is in trouble.
Ya, we might as well just forfeit the rest of the season...10-2 to start...that just sucks so bad...I will be curious what all of you will be saying when we're going to the NCAA tourney.
Your right, hell they might as well give up before we start playing SEC teams...no wait, I've got a better idea...I think Houston Nutt should take over for Stan Heath with Bev Lewis as his assistant....someone last night said they'd much rather see Nutt as our basketball coach than Heath because he said Nutt was a proven winner and Heath was a loser...that one blew me away.

Speaking of Bev Lewis, does she physically exist?  I have  read the sports page every day for 40 years and I can never remember seeing a picture of her ......Assuming she does really exist..........Is she the WORST women's atletic director of all colleges?  Hiring "Debbie Downer" as our women's coach has to be the most idiotic move in history.........
Well at least it would be considered that if more than one  tenth of one percent of the Hog fan base cared..........

ballhog™

Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

silvertip

Quote from: jabohog on December 30, 2005, 10:29:23 pm
Quote from: hSv on December 30, 2005, 10:10:55 pm
Missouri is terrible, the game should have never gone to the wire.
Man, I love this. This is the most I have ever seen you post. You tell'em boss, don't take no Shiite!!!!

Whining like that doesn't become any more reasonable just because hSv does it.

Cure

Maybe it was the layoff?!

But a layoff should never hurt a team bad as that...I turned off the ballgame for 10 minutes and Arkansas had only went on a 6-2 run :-\

I still have a lot of confidence in this team :razorback:
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

snoutface

The objective is to put the ball through the basket.  All the coaching and scheming is pointless if the shots don't go down.  Last night, the players missed open shot after open shot- sometimes it happens and it's not the coach's fault.  My concern is that while this team has all the appearances of being talented- or at least athletic- sometimes they can't make the shots.
Sometimes it's better for me to be quiet and let everybody believe I'm dumb as dirt, than to speak up and prove it.

aristotle

Good lord, guys. Put it in perspective a litte. Brewer had the flew and consequently his worse game as a razorback. Thomas missed half the game for getting knocked unconscious. And has anybody mentioned the fact that we are coming off a 9 day break since TT with Xmas in the middle of it? We are not a good shooting team anyway, but it is not that surprising that it took a half to get a feel for the game. Did we cover the spread with a 28 pt win? I don't even know if there was a line for it to be honest.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogfankb on December 30, 2005, 09:55:18 pm
10-2. Get back to me when we start losing. We may fall apart when SEC play rolls around. But IMO we won't

I'll bet  you $100 right now the Hogs don't go better than 7-9 in the SEC this year.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

bigred7987

Name 9 games that we could lose in the SEC this year...the SEC is down this year no way that happens

HeathHateMe

I'm trying to hold out criticism until we get to the SEC schedule, but I'm concerned that this team isn't that much better than last year.  Is the perceived improvement due to better coaching, or just the fact that these guys have another year of experience under their belts and another year of playing together?  Those two things alone without any improvement in coaching should get you 2 to 3 more wins than the year before.

Does Heath put an entertaining product on the floor?  Not based on what I've seen.  Certainly winning is more entertaining than losing but you still like to see sound fundamentals, fast breaks, and the ability to score around the basket, and you like to see 90 or 100 points hung on the Little Sisters of the Poor on a regular basis.

Take our coaches, style of play, and players and put them in white jerseys with no names or logos, and take UAB's players, coaches and style of ball and put them in black jerseys.  Watch them play for awhile and then you get to choose which team plays for your school.   Who would you choose? 
A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma, or out of a disaster, and must be avenged.

Lanny

Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 31, 2005, 10:48:16 am
Quote from: hogfankb on December 30, 2005, 09:55:18 pm
10-2. Get back to me when we start losing. We may fall apart when SEC play rolls around. But IMO we won't

I'll bet you $100 right now the Hogs don't go better than 7-9 in the SEC this year.

There's the HiM I am talking about.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

HeathHateMe

Quote from: bigred7987 on December 31, 2005, 10:53:38 am
Name 9 games that we could lose in the SEC this year...the SEC is down this year no way that happens

This is why this is a make or break year for Heath.  If he doesn't finish #2 in the division at 9-7 or better he should be gone.  Keep a close eye on the rest of the SEC teams.  They may appear to be down now, but the well coached teams will continue to improve throughout the season.  There are some games that may look like certain W's now that will end up being L's.  I want to see a Heath coached team improve over the course of the season and finish stronger than they started.  He hasn't shown me that yet.  It's like Coach Broyles says they remember in March.
A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma, or out of a disaster, and must be avenged.

chiefsfan

Quote from: hSv on December 30, 2005, 10:10:55 pm

Missouri is terrible, the game should have never gone to the wire.

Yes.  But if we win 20 games this year by 3 points each we are still going to the tournament.  If we win 7 games straight by 3 points each come mid march, and do it while playing terribly we win the National Championship...   Schedule only counts Wins and Losses, this aint the NHL there aint a column for close losses and bad wins...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

WilsonHog

I'm not too sure that very many valid conclusions can be drawn from one half of basketball played after a nine-day layoff and with our best player sick with the flu.

Sometimes I think that we've become so used to things going against us that we look for bad thungs to happen. 

corndo

These seem to be two things that plaque a Stan Heath coached basketball team up to this point in his career. I like Heath and I wish him well, but in his fourth season,

I sill have more questions than answers about his coaching ability, motivational skills, bond with his players, and evaluation of talent. This season has been a perfect

example of this. Twelve games into it, I still don't know if we are a below average, average, or an above average team - a top 25 team, top 30, or if we are even in the

top 50. I guess we will have no real answers until conference play, but I find it strange that I am left with so many questions this long into the season and into Heath's

coaching tenure. Does anybody else feel the same?

Boarcephus

I think we'll get a good indication of how the season will play out on successive games in Jan.  We start off with MSU at Starkville and then catch LSU in Fayetteville.   If we're as good as many think, we win them both but IMO, lose one them and it will be a very frustrating year.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

cream$$$

This is not the same team from last year.  First of all that is a logical impossibility.  Second, here's a list of things that are all different from last year and all improvements for the Razorbacks.  Listed by how important I think each one is.

1.  Team Defense - I think this has been the only aspect of their game that for 40 minutes I don't get really pissed off.  Big Improvement from last year.  10+ steals a game.  7+ blocks a game.  Forcing 18+ turnovers a game.  Playing a better non-conference schedule.  Last year = 8+ steals, 5+ blocks, 14+ forced turnovers.

2.  Steven Hill - Cut the fouls out of his game.  His Defense is unbelievable yet really only improved from last year so far by his lack of foul trouble.  I think he would have done the same last year without all the fouls.  Still, his defense is vital to our success.

3.  Dontell Jefferson - Assists have gone way up, He already has more than last year.  Scoring is up.  Turnovers up a little but proportionate to his minutes.  Soley responsible for the team's increase in assists this year by 2 a game.

4.  Team Free Throw % - Still not great but fourth in the SEC (69%) and up from last year (66%).

5.  Charles Thomas's scoring and rebound stats have both nearly doubled from last season.  And he's only up about two minutes a game from last season.

6.  Darian Townes - Beginning to have solid rebounding numbers.  With a bum knee has improved his rebounding.  Up almost 2 rebounds a game from last year with the same minutes.

7.  Modica - With Olu gone, so has the Pookie's slump (yet fading all too slowly at the stripe: 58% last year and 63% so far this year).  Why did he quit dunking the ball this year?  Built like a tight end and lay-ups every game.  I'll take them though.

8.  Hunter - Depth.  Obviously number 4 on the big man rotation but he's only a few games away from the point where he wouldn't lose a close game for us if he was on the court.  He's also good for when we need faster line-ups to break a zone.  Scoring against a half-court zone is the absolute worst aspect of Razorback basketball right now.

9.  McCurdy - still green, but I like what I see so far.  The way I've seen him shoot I don't think that 55 footer was too much of a fluke.  Obviously, he can't make that shot even 10% of the time, but we can all agree who to put in at the end of a half this season when there's only a couple of ticks left.  Most players would knock out a chearleader or fan every single time.

Hogs4Ever

Once again a tale of two halves for the Hogs.  The first half was the ugliest half of basketball that I can remember.  Yet they continued to play defense.  That is the one constant on this team and will keep them in games when the shots aren't falling.

Knot2brite

if I am not mistaken another Arkansas coach used to put a high emphasis on defense which fed his offense. Nolan believed in defense as a way to stimulate the offense. I remember the days when Arkansas used to be good for 20+ points off their defense. The fact that he was able to get shooters to learn how to play defense didnt hurt either. Heath has a better inside game this year than what Nolan had most years. Modica is quickly becoming a Lenzie Howell type ball player. He doesnt have the hops that Howell had but he is doing the trash basket work that Howell used to do and that was one of the things that led  Arkansas to the tourney for his two years here. Getting a few more shots to fall from the outside is a must and the precise running of the motion offense has to get better, but I think this will be the best team that Arkansas has had in the last 5-6 years. Of course it couldnt get much worse than those teams either.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Oliverhogman

HoginMemphis,
I will take that hundred dollar bet.  We will not lose 9 in Conference this year. 

ridgeback

1 question, why do we pull Hill out on free throws, or put him at half court?

silvertip

Quote from: ridgeback on December 31, 2005, 08:12:42 pm
1 question, why do we pull Hill out on free throws, or put him at half court?

Maybe it's to have him back to defend our goal against breakaways---when we are shooting & miss the FT. Another reason is that, if we are going to press, it's common for the team being pressed to bring a big man to center court to help break the press. Hill might be in that area to guard against that. Hill is fast for a 7-footer---usually faster than the other team's center.

silvertip

Thanks cream$$$, for all those stats about exactly how, what  & who has improved from last year. There are more---practically every meaningful stat is up from last season, even with a tougher schedule.

Now that SHOULD answer all these Heath bashers who keep inanely repeating that "nothing has improved from last year." It SHOULD put an end to that particular whine---but it won't.

I see you might be new here. Sad to say, I must tell you that the fanatic Heath bashers share one distinctive trait with the fanatic Nutt huggers. Both those groups are mainly comprised of people who are immune to and ignore the facts.

I could lay out a spreadsheet that shows that Heath's teams have improved every year in most every statistical measure. The same can be done with each individual player. The facts are clear & undeniable.

And then, these fools will come back & repeat their BS that this team has not improved one bit from last year or the year before. Then most of them will immediately launch into some irrelevant diatribe about Nolan or Mike Anderson.

You can lead a jackass to water, but you can't make it drink. Nevertheless, I hope YOU will keep trying. I've about had enough of it, myself. 

silvertip

Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 31, 2005, 10:48:16 am

I'll bet you $100 right now the Hogs don't go better than 7-9 in the SEC this year.

HoginMemphis, I'll take that $100 bet right now. I'll send you a PM in the next day or so with my name, address & phone #. I'll expect you to do the same.

I'm putting this out here for the public to witness. I pay my bets & I expect you will do the same. Thanks

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I was at the game Friday night, very cool for me since I live in Dallas.  Just got home before 12 tonight, actually.  Happy New Year to all.

The first half was scary...yikes.  I don't even know where that school is and I live in TX. 
However, I do think we were hypnotized by the lack of talent of the opponent and street ball insued. 

To add to your "positives" about McCurdy:  This something that doesn't show up in the stat book but can make or break a player at this level.  Did you guys see the couple of times he was mauled??  His composure was like that of a Senior, even when a guy went after him.  He ended up being surrounded by 4 of them...FINALLY, some of the other Hogs came to his rescue(don't know what took them so long).  Furthermore, he didn't let it affect him the rest of the game.  Good for him.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

silvertip

McCurdy is known (by those who pay attention) for mental & physical toughness .He played up there around NY City. He won't back down. His high school coach Bob Hurley also said he might be as physically strong as any PG in his class.

Biggus Piggus

I think some people are unhappy with the crawling pace of improvement in the basketball program.  Probably a little less patient given the football mess.  It is obvious we do not have a genius coach.  Question is can we live with that?
[CENSORED]!

Zen_Hog

Everybody wants to win, and win big. We're not doing that right now, and when we do, we'll feel more confident about the Razorbacks. It all depends on how we play vs the SEC. If we can't even go .500 in the SEC, we don't deserve to go to the big dance.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Big Gus Pig Gus on January 01, 2006, 01:59:26 pm
It is obvious we do not have a genius coach. Question is can we live with that?

That fact that he's a recruiting machine and a helluva nice guy sure makes his slow pace of rebuilding easier to swallow.  I can see Stan reaching the point where he simply outtalents teams.  He may not be in the league of the Knights, Kzzzkeelkjdjklj's, or Smiths but he can be very successful and represent the UofA well.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

silvertip

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 31, 2005, 07:08:54 am
Quote from: BigHog396 on December 30, 2005, 10:22:54 pm
I won't be quite as harsh as hSv, because I have seen some good individual improvements on this team.  The problem is the lack of improvement in the team as a whole.  The offense is the same piece of crap that we had last year.

Offense lacks a quality point guard and still no consistant outside shooting. Therefore, we will still struggle and look out of sync often the rest of the year. I have seen solid improvement in the team defensively this year though.

Define "quality point guard" please. I bet you have to come up with some nebulous, wordy description;  because I don't think you can prove we don't have a quality PG with any quantifiable standard.

silvertip

I think some people are unhappy with the crawling pace of improvement in the basketball program. Probably a little less patient given the football mess. It is obvious we do not have a genius coach. Question is can we live with that?

I don't think that's "obvious" at all. Just as it is not at all "obvious" to me that you recognize what's really going on.

BigoBoys

What are you guys smoking?  Are all of you former 2nd teamers on the high school team.  You have a choice of being positive or being negative.  Those of you that are negative were on the bench during Jr. High.  This is supposed to be a pro hog site.  Get on the bus or get run over!  Go Hogs!

Welcome BigoBoys.  Now go to www.hogwired.com

That is where you belong.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

lunchbox72703

Quote from: BigHog396 on December 30, 2005, 10:18:39 pm
Quote from: lunchbox72703 on December 30, 2005, 09:46:50 pm
sometimes they're ugly, but its all that you need.....
If YOU want to settle for fat, ugly chicks, go for it. Some of us don't have to settle, and never would. We also don't expect to have to settle when it comes to our Razorbacks.

Some of us won't kick our team when they win, but instead find something good out of it....But if YOU want to be the GUY who COMPLAINS about one little dark CLOUD in a BRIGHT BEAUTIFUL SKY.....go ahead.   As for me......i'm gonna keep looking up!!! 

CiriusPorker

Finally, people are starting to realize!  I've been screaming that Heath has been coaching poorly since the MO state game...

but..that's all i'll say..because i said i'd give him a shot at the SEC season before I commence bashing him.

hoggystyle78

At least the BB program is making positive strides, that's more than can be said about our FB program. I will reserve judgement on Heath and the BB team until after the season or until they implode like last year, but for now, nothing but blue skies.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: silvertip on January 02, 2006, 06:10:41 pm
I think some people are unhappy with the crawling pace of improvement in the basketball program. Probably a little less patient given the football mess. It is obvious we do not have a genius coach. Question is can we live with that?

I don't think that's "obvious" at all. Just as it is not at all "obvious" to me that you recognize what's really going on.

You are extremely defensive as usual.  I'll trust my sources of info on Heath's performance over you.  They're pretty darned experienced, and you are...you.
[CENSORED]!

We've lived with a retarded..sorry, developmentally delayed coach on the f-ball side...maybe I am guilty of liking Heath because of comparing him to the alternative Nutt...I am just not ready..not just yet..to give up on him.