Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bartley Webb discussion thread

Started by BillyRaySmithSack, January 19, 2006, 06:40:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyRaySmithSack

I keep hearing Mitch, Ben and Andrew talking about working on getting Damian to change his mind. I have not heard any of those guys mention trying to get Bartley to change his mind. Is he that solid with Notre Dame or would those guys be wasting their breath on trying to get him to switch? I understand that he was never shown any love from Nutt and company this summer. When I went to the Springdale games this year he was the biggest guy on the field and never gave up a sack. His legs are a little small for my liking but his upper body is good sized and I think he could help out. I was curious if he would even come on a official visit to see what we have to offer. It's kind of ironic that Perry Webb his father, is the President of the Springdale Chamber of Commerce. And his job is to lure businesses and people to the Springdale area because it is such a great place to live. But he is sending his son to South Bend? Anyone know the scoop on what's going on here, or does he and his Dad have a "man crush" on Fat Ass Weis? I just thought with Gus in the loop now, they might reconsider.

WindyCityHog

BillyRaySmithSack

FLKeysGuy I know you are friends with Mitch and family, and usually are dead on with SHS dealings. Is Webb good friends with any of the other S5? I always hear about MM and DW growing up together, and Mitch and Andrew are best friends. I never hear Webb mentioned as far as hanging out with the others. ADG this summer ran a story about the other guys spending all of their time together after practice at Mitch's house. Just don't recall Webb mentioned in that group.

BillyRaySmithSack

Best of luck to Bartley Webb. I sure would have like to see him in red. I can still hate Notre Dame with a passion. They were the media darling in 2005 and everyone thought Weis was the next big thing. Their only saving grace next year will be having Brady Quinn back at QB. My distain for them was kicked up a notch when Jimmy Walker's son (Darius) signed with them over the Hogs. I also hate the whole NBC lovefest with ND. The only way I might reconsider is if Regis Philben sent Kelly and Quinn sent his sister over to my house for a ticklefight in panties!

Porkahontas

January 19, 2006, 08:00:21 pm #4 Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 08:02:33 pm by Porkahontas
First off, a disclaimer. What I'm about to say is definitely not intended to be a 'bash' toward a recruit or an in-state kid who decided to go somewhere other than Arkansas. Let's get that out of the way right off the get-go.

...but does anyone else think Bartley Webb is going to be seeing a lot of the pine up at South Bend? Notre Dame just picked up a commit from the top offensive tackle in the nation and the top player overall in Florida, Sam Young, a 6'8", 302 pound monster who was recruited by everybody this year.

Here's Notre Dame's offensive line commits for just this year so far.
5-star Sam Young, 6'8" 302 pounds, who is rated the top OT in the nation and the top player in Florida
4-star Matt Carufel, 6'5" 280 pounds, who is rated the 5th best OT in the nation and the top player in Minnesota
4-star Eric Olsen, 6'5" 300 pounds, who is rated the 6th best OT in the nation and #4 overall in New York (listed as OT/OG prospect)
4-star Chris Stewart, 6'5" 340 pounds, who is rated the 11th best OG in the nation and #30 overall in Texas
4-star Daniel Wenger, 6'4" 280 pounds, rated the 3rd best C in the nation and #33 overall in Florida
Then there's Bartley...
3-star, 6'7" 290, rated the 31st best OT in the nation and the #5 player in Arkansas.

Like I said, this definitely isn't a slam at Bartley. He's gotta be pretty darned talented to land an offer at Notre Dame. That said, since he's committed, Notre Dame has landed the 1st, 5th, and 6th best tackles in the nation also and judging by some of the videos of these guys, they're gonna be damn good by the time it's all said and done. It just seems there's gonna be a lot of competition for playing time with all of these hosses coming in there.

I know Bartley Webb is 99% committed to Notre Dame, but I wonder if he's taken a look at everyone else Notre Dame has coming in on the offensive line in just this class and is giving any thought at all about joining 3 and possibly 4 of his teammates, along with his former coach, at Arkansas where he could probably be at least a 3-year starter for this squad.

That all said, if Bartley does stick with his Notre Dame commit (and I think he will), I wish him the best of luck. I'm just not optimistic about my chances of seeing him playing that much on NBC in the next 3 or 4 years if all these guys end up signing also and Weis keeps this recruiting momentum into next year and gets some more hosses like he did this year. Webb could easily find himself lost in the shuffle.

It just seems to me that, if he had any inspirations at a shot at the pros, he'd have a much better chance to prove himself as a starter for Arkansas for 2 or 3 years than a role player for 3 years and possibly a one-year starter in 2010 or so.

JIHawg

Yeah, he might never play, but he can get a good education and find a good job up there in Indiana when he graduates.  Good luck Bartley, and drop the "ley", Bart sounds better.

HogDodging

Even a reserve at Notre Dame is going to get more respect than a starter for Arkansas.
Isn't it possible that Webb is going to Notre Dame for the education and football happens to be the means to that end?

JoeBobHog

...or because his Deddy hates Houston Nutt.
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

WindyCityHog

JShipCPA

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 19, 2006, 09:13:56 pm
Even a reserve at Notre Dame is going to get more respect than a starter for Arkansas.
Isn't it possible that Webb is going to Notre Dame for the education and football happens to be the means to that end?

BS.............

HawgWild

Quote from: JIHawg on January 19, 2006, 08:22:33 pm
Yeah, he might never play, but he can get a good education and find a good job up there in Indiana when he graduates. Good luck Bartley, and drop the "ley", Bart sounds better.

You can get a good education anywhere as long as you do what you're supposed to do. He could get the same education at the U of A.

reddogfan

Quote from: JoeBobHog on January 19, 2006, 09:23:21 pm
Why is it, whenever a kid decides to leave this state, it is because one of their parent's have some deep, dark vendetta or hatred for someone in or close to the program? 
Maybe (novel thought here, hang with me) these kids just like another school and believe it affords them better opportunities than staying at home and playing for the Razorbacks.
Bartley would have been a HUGE hall for the Hogs had he stayed home.  It is a shame we are losing him...but he will do well at ND.

zortoes

I'm more than happy with the four out of the five we'll get... err three with the hopeful fourth, I should say.

reddogfan

Quote from: WxHog on January 19, 2006, 09:39:09 pm
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Bartley moved to Springdale just a few years ago, and did not grow up watching the Razorbacks, like many of the other members of the Springdale team. It has been his dream to play for ND, and nothing will change that regardless of what Gus can do.
You are corrected...and wrong!

heffy22

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Bartley moved to Springdale just a few years ago, and did not grow up watching the Razorbacks, like many of the other members of the Springdale team. It has been his dream to play for ND, and nothing will change that regardless of what Gus can do.

He has lived here for a long time.

WxHog

Quote from: heffy22 on January 19, 2006, 09:48:34 pm

He has lived here for a long time.

Thanks.  I was hearing this second hand.   So, I wasn't sure.   Thats why I put a disclaimer out. 

razorbackdan

It will be at least 3-4 years before he sees the field at Notre Dame. They had about 5-6 OL at the All Star game verbally committed and will probably do that each year, because that's what good programs do. He needs to do a lot of work in the weight room. Reports from the All-American game practices (where the real evaluation is done), he was just dominated by Butch Lewis and a couple other DLs. Webb gave up no sacks this year, the line only gave up 2 all year anyway, so the same could be said for a couple other Springdale linemen. If we get 4 of the 5 and Webb goes to ND, I think everybody will be happy.

Porkahontas

Quote from: reddogfan on January 19, 2006, 09:38:42 pm
Why is it, whenever a kid decides to leave this state, it is because one of their parent's have some deep, dark vendetta or hatred for someone in or close to the program?
Maybe (novel thought here, hang with me) these kids just like another school and believe it affords them better opportunities than staying at home and playing for the Razorbacks.
Bartley would have been a HUGE hall for the Hogs had he stayed home. It is a shame we are losing him...but he will do well at ND.

I can't blame Bartley for going to Notre Dame. He seems like a good kid from what I've heard and Notre Dame is one of the most prestigious (if not, THE most prestigious) universities out there. Charlie Weis has good things going on.

It sounded like he was a dead-lock for the Golden Domers but with Notre Dame landing 5 other top-notch offensive linemen, I was more or less trying to figure out if there was a snowball's chance in hell Bartley might look at the sheer numbers coming in on the O-Line this year with him and give Arkansas a second thought.

As glad as I am that Arkansas managed to land Mitch, Andrew, Ben, and are still in the running for Damian, it's always rough to see a huge offensive lineman with a lot of talent leaving the state. Guy's that are 6'7" and 290 don't grow on trees.

HBTHogs

Markuson balked on offering Bartley a scholorship because he thought he was too small.  Markuson wanted 300+ pound guys like Jim Hart.  Webb was offended by the snub and has never given Arkansas a second look. 

Porkahontas

Quote from: HBTHogs on January 19, 2006, 10:26:28 pm
Markuson balked on offering Bartley a scholorship because he thought he was too small. Markuson wanted 300+ pound guys like Jim Hart. Webb was offended by the snub and has never given Arkansas a second look.

Markuson = moron

He balked at offering a guy who ended up at Notre Dame and instead is going after guys that we're competing with Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, Kansas, Kansas State, and the big schools.

Christ. I think I'd take the crazy guy who sells fruit down on the corner over Markuson anymore. I just hope like hell Markuson doesn't become a cancer among the coaching staff for the way things shook down the last month or so with the "forced" hiring of Gus and the removal of play-calling from Houston Nutt (and his yes man, Markuson).

I think this team starts to do big things next year if there isn't dissention in the ranks.

HawgLover08

I'm not worried about Bartley Webb. I'm sure most of you would agree with me in saying that he is the last of the Springdale guys that I want. I personally think he's over-rated. He has the size, but he's pretty weak. He was getting handled around in the Army game if I remember right.

ki285

markuson might be an idiot and an a$$ hole, but his offensive line does there job every year.  someone was opening up holes for macfadden and jones to run throgh

mikeirwin

January 19, 2006, 10:53:20 pm #23 Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 10:59:03 pm by mikeirwin
Quote from: HawgLover08 on January 19, 2006, 10:47:45 pm
I'm not worried about Bartley Webb. I'm sure most of you would agree with me in saying that he is the last of the Springdale guys that I want. I personally think he's over-rated. He has the size, but he's pretty weak. He was getting handled around in the Army game if I remember right.
I didn't know you were on this board, coach Markuson.  ;D

rjmass

Doing the math, if the recruits each year are consistent with this year, lets see....

6 OL recruits X 5 years worth of recruits = 30 lineman for 2 Tackle, 2 Guard and 1 Center position. 

Best I can tell the odds of getting one of these positions every year would be 1 in 6, and couple that with going in as a lower valued recruit 3 star vs 5 star, I would say the odds would be even greater.

I want him to follow his dreams as I am sure all of do, but if ultimately the dream is to play on Sundays, I would think it would be better to be on the field for 3 years building my resume than just getting maybe one year (if that).

While the short term goal may be to go to ND, that may not be the best move for ultimate goal of Sunday playing. 

I wish him the best, but I hope he thinks through his options with his head. I can not remember anybody that made it to Sunday that did not start in college.

If there are problems with parents and coaches, but the program would be ultimately better for the final goal, you put your differences aside.

Based on all the recruits ND has coming in, it almost looks like they are recruiting to not only build their program, but also bringing in other top players to sit the bench, to Weaken other teams, that they could be playing on.  I just hope Bartley doesn't become one of these players.

Just my opinion
Grandpa told me the only two things I  could control in life were my tongue and my word.   To always honor what you say and say what you honor.
He was a wise man.

Hog6

Just a thought... not all these kids think they have a shot at playing on Sundays.  I would expect that there are some very pragmatic kids who just want to be a part of the sport and have as much fun as possible.  I know many do dream of the NFL.  Like I said, just a thought.  Webb might be in this group.

HogDodging

Quote from: JShipCPA on January 19, 2006, 09:30:25 pm

BS.............

Wow, what a well thought out comeback.  Who can argue with that kind of logic? ::)

Mike Tencleve

Bartley would have been a HUGE hall for the Hogs had he stayed home. It is a shame we are losing him...but he will do well at ND.

WOW, I'm not sure you need to be on here, you make way to much sense!!

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: JIHawg on January 19, 2006, 08:22:33 pm
Yeah, he might never play, but he can get a good education and find a good job up there in Indiana when he graduates. Good luck Bartley, and drop the "ley", Bart sounds better.

Don't call him Bart...his oldest sister would be none to happy, (believe me).
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

JoeBobHog

you are right.  I had heard that second/third hand, and shouldn't have parsed it.

I apologize, and I stand corrected.

you are also correct in saying that kids grow up following, or "worshipping" teams other than the Hogs today.  It is not like it was 20-30 years ago.

good luck Bartley, and I hope you whup ass up there.
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

RhodeHog

Maybe Bartley wants to leave Arkansas.   Maybe he doesn't care about being a big star in his home state.  Maybe he wants to work for someone other that Wal-Mart, J.B. Hunt, Tysons, or Dillards....just maybe.

BillyRaySmithSack

It's funny how we all say that he's not good enough to play at ND, but if he commited to UA we would be praising him.

razorbackdan

Quote from: BillyRaySmithSack on January 20, 2006, 08:58:22 am
It's funny how we all say that he's not good enough to play at ND, but if he commited to UA we would be praising him.

It's not that funny when you realize that Notre Dame is once again an elite program and we suck. People that say Arkansas didn't want him and he's no good are just wrong. But, he apparently wasn't worth the effort of an all out recruiting blitz after some early mistakes in his recruitment and his announced intentions. Good luck and we'll move on. Come on down Kit Coleman.

RhodeHog

If he just wants a change from good ole Arkansas, I understand why he's leaving.  If he is considering an NFL career, I question it after looking at ND's recruits. Oh well, he's not the first we've lost, and certainly won't be the last.  I wish him the best.  Neutered Dame is a good school.

BillyRaySmithSack

Bartley would be a natural blocker in Malzahn's offense. Every picture you see of him he is in the upright blocking postion. Correct me if I'm wrong but ND's line is in a 3 point stance. He might get his doors blown off in a down postion like at the Army game.

The real Hogules

If by "well" you mean get a good education, then I couldn't agree with you more.
On the other hand if you're talking about playing time just from reading this years OL recruits for ND it's obvious to me that Webb will have to work his tail off just to make the travel squad before his Jr year!
Bartley will HAVE to play tackle, because he doesn't have the speed or good feet required to play guard and ND is knee deep in 4-5 star tackles in just this class alone.
I wish he'd reconsider, but I wish him well at Notre Dame.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

BillyRaySmithSack

You know you will never hear Fat Ass Weis say it, but you know with all those other higher rated OL players coming in he'd like that schollie back. Webb commited so early in the process this summer, that others waited to see how Weis was going to do. When they had sucess this year, they became the "place to go". Why would you be so enthused about getting a guy that is 6th out of 6, as far as incoming OL players in concerned?

RAZORBART

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 20, 2006, 08:07:11 am

BS.............

Wow, what a well thought out comeback. Who can argue with that kind of logic? ::)

actually that was all that nonsense post of yours deserved. I think your original  post may be be leading for the stupidest post this year !!!!! More attention riding the bench than playing at Arkansas, come on that is ridicules and since when is Notre Dame well known for its education ?
Name one person that is famous due to their education from Notre Dame ?

mikeirwin

Quote from: BillyRaySmithSack on January 20, 2006, 09:20:00 am
You know you will never hear Fat Ass Weis say it, but you know with all those other higher rated OL players coming in he'd like that schollie back. Webb commited so early in the process this summer, that others waited to see how Weis was going to do. When they had sucess this year, they became the "place to go". Why would you be so enthused about getting a guy that is 6th out of 6, as far as incoming OL players in concerned?
Disrespecting a recruit even if he's somebody else's recruit in a no no on this board. Bartley's a local kid that's for sure.
Now he hasn't played a down of college football yet. He may play and do a great job at ND or he may not. But this thread is skirting the line on recruit bashing. If it goes much farther in that direction it's going away.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: rjmass on January 20, 2006, 12:07:16 am
I can not remember anybody that made it to Sunday that did not start in college.

The backup QB for Carson Palmer and Matt leinart last year was drafted by the New England Patriots. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

BillyRaySmithSack

Mike, my bad. I stepped over the line in saying they might want their schoolie back. But regardless, he is rated 6th out of 6 as far as their incoming OL recriuts are concerned. That's not my opinion, that is what Rivals rates those players. As I said at the beginning of the thread, I would love to have him on the Hogs.  What I was getting at is everyone is telling Damian not to go to Florida because they have 7 recievers coming in besides him.  I think Webb will do good, I just think his chances of PT would be increased 3 fold in Fayetteville. OL recruiting is such a shoot and miss thing you never know what you will get. I can name many big OL recruits who never panned out like the guy from Southside (Hobbs).  But we also had no-name players come in like Burlsworth and Reith who played really well.

HogDodging

Quote from: RAZORBART on January 20, 2006, 09:33:31 am
Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 20, 2006, 08:07:11 am

BS.............

Wow, what a well thought out comeback. Who can argue with that kind of logic? ::)

actually that was all that nonsense post of yours deserved. I think your original post may be be leading for the stupidest post this year !!!!! More attention riding the bench than playing at Arkansas, come on that is ridicules and since when is Notre Dame well known for its education ?
Name one person that is famous due to their education from Notre Dame ?

Were you trying to spell "ridiculous"?

Normally, I wouldn't allow myself to get drawn into a battle of wits with an unarmed person but, since you asked;

In recent years, Notre Dame alumni have won a Nobel Prize in medicine, a Pulitzer Prize in journalism, and an Emmy Award for contributions to television technology.
Astronaut alumnus James Wetherbee is the deputy director of NASA's Johnson Space Center and has served as pilot or commander on five space shuttle missions. Two other alumni, Kevin Ford and Michael Good, are new additions to the astronaut corps, and alumna Annette Hasbrook recently was appointed a flight director at the Johnson Space Center.
In the world of business, Notre Dame alumni serve in chief executive and other leadership positions at firms such as Goldman, Sachs & Co.; Bank of America; Haggar Company; Morgan Stanley, Dean Witter & Co.; the Chicago Mercantile Exchange; Merck & Company; Marriott Corp.; Emerson Electric Company; Hershey Foods Corp.; and Liz Claiborne, Inc.
Alumni of Notre Dame in science and medicine include one of the nation's leading AIDS researchers, a Nobel Prize-winning biologist, and the second blind person in history admitted to an American school of medicine.

lilbrofan

Why does everyone have to be so ruid on here.  You honestly want a guy representing your home state to get torn up and spit out at ND next year.  No wonder no one wants to play at ARKANSAS!!  What everyone doesn't understand is that if Webb "RIDES THE PINE" for 4 years at ND he will be better off because of all the reasons everyone hates ND (publicity, Nationally ranked team, NFL connections) then playing here for 4/5 years.  He will have a ND education that will take him anywhere in this world he wants to go.  I honestly think yall are all jealous.  And where did yall go to college?  ASU, UCA, ATU, UofA???  I thought so...  probably not ND!!!  It obviously didn't get you to far in life b/c yall have time to sit on here 24/7!!!   

Tuskhog

Bartley Webb was the first OL offered by the Razorbacks, in December of 2004.  As a matter of fact, in July Webb told the Arkansas coaches that he would not be attending the U of A early, knowing that they needed and wanted to offer Hart at the July senior camp.  He had already turned them down before Hart was even offered.

ND recruited by position, 2 tackles, three guards and a center.  One of the guards, Olsen, might be moved to defensive line.

Bartley is already penciled in Weis' two deep at RT next year, and probably will be starting for the next three years after that.  He's there because of his pass blocking skills, which obviously come from being under Struebing's eye and Malzahn's offense.  I'm sure the U of A wants him now.  I understand he starting receiving notes from Malzahn early after the hiring, but called and told him to concentrate on others.

He also was the only freshman ever given an opportunity to redshirt at ND.  That blows the theory that they didn't really want him.  And that offer was made in June, at their summer camp.

Some are correct, however, in saying that Arkansas blew it.  ND wanted Bartley because of his pass blocking skills, and ARK only wanted him to help get Mitch.  They didn't need pass blockers, since at that time they had no intention of running a passing offense.

By the way, I know from a family member that Nutt told some high school coaches about their concern of Bartley and his lack of run blocking experience, and that they offered him to get Mitch.  One of those coaches was Bartley's God father.  So, who blew it?

The_Bionic_Pig

Yep I bet Shawn Andrews wishes he was a Irishman now ???
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

excoach

I'm sure Gus has been working on Bartley and his parents since coming on board.Yes Perry is the Head of the Chamber of Commerce, but like any parent you want whats best for your child. I'm sure ,if he is was anti Arkansas he had a good reason, and as other posts mentioned it probably had something to do with Markuson and Nutt. He was recruited by Texas, ND, Mich, and several other schools, so you got to believe these schools all saw potential in him or they wouldn't have wasted their time in recruiting him. I know Barltley is a dedicated hard working kid and deserves everything he's received thus far. You just have to hope things will change on the hill so yearend and yearout we don't loss quality players within the state.

WichitaStateRazorback

Is it possible ND offered him hoping that Mitch would follow him?

excoach

No, I dont think Nd offered to get Mitch Most coaches look for size and Bartley has it, his work ethic, etc. He is probably looked at as a project, but I'd sure like to have him at Arkansas.