Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whaley

Started by JaketheSnake, October 01, 2017, 09:17:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JaketheSnake

I believe it was third quarter and we were running power left.  Had a guard and a fullback leading and Whaley gets behind the fullback, then shoots right for a loss.  If he would have followed his blockers he would have had a really nice gain as it was blocked up well. 

That patience and trusting the play design needs to get back in his head.  Hayden does the same.  Williams seems better at following blockers and letting the play develop.  Maybe that's the 5th year senior in him vs the youth of Whaley and Hayden

jcul28

He averaged over 6 yards per carry...I'll take it.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 01, 2017, 09:17:52 am
I believe it was third quarter and we were running power left.  Had a guard and a fullback leading and Whaley gets behind the fullback, then shoots right for a loss.  If he would have followed his blockers he would have had a really nice gain as it was blocked up well. 

That patience and trusting the play design needs to get back in his head.  Hayden does the same.  Williams seems better at following blockers and letting the play develop.  Maybe that's the 5th year senior in him vs the youth of Whaley and Hayden

Just my opinion, but I think you're absolutely correct.  David Williams will bounce a play or cut back occasionally, but realizes that just putting your head down and get what you can get is just as important or more so. The younger guys tend to want to break the big play.  If you recall in the TCU game Chase had an easy 3-4 yd gain ahead of him on his second carry.  He instead tried to bounce it back to the left and pop a big run.  TCU was backside stunting and Chase was tackled for a two yard loss.  Then he was done for the day.  He has been coached to get the yards that are there.  As he gets more experience on this level, he will have a better feel for it.  I think Devwah is right between Williams and Hayden.  Gets the tough yard by lowering his shoulder, but has learned when the cut is there.  I've heard Coach Enos day, "never underestimate the value of 4yd run".  Sometimes the big play is there, but the old "slow to the hole and fast through it" following your blockers is the bread and butter of the Arkansas run game.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

JaketheSnake

Quote from: jcul28 on October 01, 2017, 09:26:29 am
He averaged over 6 yards per carry...I'll take it.
His numbers were good... but at least on one play he ended up taking a loss when if he would have followed his blockers he could have had a really nice gain.  Maybe break it as there was only a safety to beat if the window didn't collapse before he got through. Point being, little things like that make a big difference.  We are not a good enough team to make those kind of mistakes consistently. 

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 01, 2017, 09:30:39 am
His numbers were good... but at least on one play he ended up taking a loss when if he would have followed his blockers he could have had a really nice gain.  Maybe break it as there was only a safety to beat if the window didn't collapse before he got through. Point being, little things like that make a no difference.  We are not a good enough team to make those kind of mistakes consistently. 
Where that cut happens is key. Making the wrong cut after following your blockers is the difference between a 4yd gain and a homerun carry.  Making that cut behind the line before you let the blockers work could be a homerun or a 3yd loss.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

JaketheSnake

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on October 01, 2017, 09:28:46 am
Just my opinion, but I think you're absolutely correct.  David Williams will bounce a play or cut back occasionally, but realizes that just putting your head down and get what you can get is just as important or more so. The younger guys tend to want to break the big play.  If you recall in the TCU game Chase had an easy 3-4 yd gain ahead of him on his second carry.  He instead tried to bounce it back to the left and pop a big run.  TCU was backside stunting and Chase was tackled for a two yard loss.  Then he was done for the day.  He has been coached to get the yards that are there.  As he gets more experience on this level, he will have a better feel for it.  I think Devwah is right between Williams and Hayden.  Gets the tough yard by lowering his shoulder, but has learned when the cut is there.  I've heard Coach Enos day, "never underestimate the value of 4yd run".  Sometimes the big play is there, but the old "slow to the hole and fast through it" following your blockers is the bread and butter of the Arkansas run game.
Mond did the same thing yesterday vs SC.  Had the easy first down on 3rd and 2,but bounced it outside.  His athleticism broke a tackle and he still got the first down, but he could have got the first and laid down without taking multiple hits if he wasn't trying to hit the homerun.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 01, 2017, 09:36:40 am
Mond did the same thing yesterday vs SC.  Had the easy first down and 3-2,but bounced it outside.  His athleticism broke a tackle and he still got the first down, but he could have got the first and laid down without taking multiple hits if he wasn't trying to hit the homerun.

It's a youth thing.  How fast they learn that what was routine in high school won't always work in college.  They all have to learn.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on October 01, 2017, 09:39:10 am
It's a youth thing.  How fast they learn that what was routine in high school won't always work in college.  They all have to learn.
Thats where, IMO, we will see coaching come in as the season progresses. That is a very coachable part of the game.  Fans may get frustrated seeing openings on a cut back when we follow blockers for, as you said, 4 yards at a time.  Then that 4 yards turns into a 40 yard TD.  We need that!

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 01, 2017, 09:43:06 am
Thats where, IMO, we will see coaching come in as the season progresses. That is a very coachable part of the game.  Fans may get frustrated seeing openings on a cut back when we follow blockers for, as you said, 4 yards at a time.  Then that 4 yards turns into a 40 yard TD.  We need that!
A big key is not risking a big play and leaving them with 2nd Down and greater than 10.  It's when and where to take a risk.  Agree that it's coahcing and experience.