Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vols: Definitely better to be lucky than good...

Started by Bogghawg, September 01, 2016, 10:02:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogghawg

Sheesh.  How many ways should they have already lost this game tonight?
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

SemperHawg

Tennessee *insert long audible fart noise here*  got really lucky to win this one tonight. App State handed this one to them several times tonight.

StuartDavin

AirWarren

hoggusamoungus

Reminds me of Revenge of the Nerds when Ogre barely beat the ugly chick in arm rasslin'.

hawgfan4life

TN got very lucky.  They simply don't look NC caliber on offense with their passing game.  Stop the run and force them to pass and they are screwed against solid defenses

Hog Villager

No worries fellas.  Even as weak as the SEC-E is this year, Tennessee will drop some games.  Probably to VT.
"I may live in a bubble, but it's my bubble and it's painted Hog Red"

phadedhawg

Crazy things happen in September. We outta know...

RME

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 01, 2016, 10:11:27 pm

Was about to say...let's wait until about 7pm Saturday until we start giving other teams hell...

Hog Villager

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 01, 2016, 10:12:03 pm
Was about to say...let's wait until about 7pm Saturday until we start giving other teams hell...

The difference is we weren't ranked #9 by all the eksperts....It's why I'm giving them so much "hell".

Sed76

Once again special teams bit a team in the butt. Sure hopes ours has improved.

SemperHawg

Quote from: Hog Villager on September 01, 2016, 10:15:10 pm
The difference is we weren't ranked #9 by all the eksperts....It's why I'm giving them so much "hell".
I think this was a ULM reference. In which case he is correct, we certainly know about that.

RME

Quote from: Hog Villager on September 01, 2016, 10:15:10 pm

So you're expecting us to underperform, or else giving an excuse if we were to lose? That reason being that we weren't ranked #9?

I know we won't lose to LA Tech 99 times out of 100. But by God college football produces some weird outcomes.

Semper is exactly correct.

HardingHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 01, 2016, 10:12:03 pm

Meh. The national media hasn't been stuck somewhere in our lower intestines for the last 6 months. Let's not forget last year's over-hyped SEC team with their Heisman hopeful QB (Auburn/Johnson) who also needed to go to OT to beat a greatly undermatched opponent... How did they turn out?

Hog Villager

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 01, 2016, 10:18:31 pm
So you're expecting us to underperform, or else giving an excuse if we were to lose? That reason being that we weren't ranked #9?

I know we won't lose to LA Tech 99 times out of 100. But by God college football produces some weird outcomes.

Semper is exactly correct.

Don't try to make this something it isn't.  I'll spell it out for you so we're clear.  This has to do with the unearned "respect" and expectation for Tennessee.  I hate media darlings.  This close game to App St shows that all the talking heads need to give it up and find a new way to rank teams.

RME

Quote from: HardingHog on September 01, 2016, 10:19:16 pm
Meh. The national media hasn't been stuck somewhere in our lower intestines for the last 6 months. Let's not forget last year's over-hyped SEC team with their Heisman hopeful QB (Auburn/Johnson) who also needed to go to OT to beat a greatly undermatched opponent... How did they turn out?

Some of you are completely, unabashedly missing the point.

I don't give a GD what the national media says about us or Tennessee or whoever else. I give a GD about the Toledo result last year and I think it's somewhat prudent to keep our mouths shut until Arkansas takes care of business.

StuartDavin

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 01, 2016, 10:21:58 pm

I don't give a GD what the national media says about us or Tennessee or whoever else. I give a GD about the Toledo result last year and I think it's somewhat prudent to keep our mouths shut until Arkansas takes care of business.

For the most part people are just saying that Tenn had to get very, very lucky to win tonight. What Arkansas does this weekend either way won't change that.

Hog Villager

I think it's great that you have your opinions.  It's also ok that people give a team that is ranked #9 and almost lost to App St "hell".

RME

Quote from: Hog Villager on September 01, 2016, 10:21:46 pm
Don't try to make this something it isn't.  I'll spell it out for you so we're clear.  This has to do with the unearned "respect" and expectation for Tennessee.  I hate media darlings.  This close game to App St shows that all the talking heads need to give it up and find a new way to rank teams.

They won 9 games last year and returned an ungodly amount of starters.

http://nationalchamps.net/2016/earlybird/teams/tennessee.htm

How were they not supposed to be a media darling? If Arkansas won 9 games and returned that many starters, I'd say that was a pretty well-earned expectation heading into the next season...

PossumFan

Why? Do you really think what's said here is going to affect anything?

RME

Quote from: StuartDavin on September 01, 2016, 10:24:54 pm
For the most part people are just saying that Tenn had to get very, very lucky to win tonight. What Arkansas does this weekend either way won't change that.

They were 100% lucky. I don't disagree with that at all. I'm just saying I'm gonna keep my mouth shut on laughing and the "overrated" talk until we take care of business this weekend.

By all means, those laughing at Tennessee now will be the ones questioning their own lives on Saturday should some debacle occur. I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut until then. But that's me.

RME

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 01, 2016, 10:27:25 pm
They were 100% lucky. I don't disagree with that at all. I'm just saying I'm gonna keep my mouth shut on laughing and the "overrated" talk until we take care of business this weekend.

By all means, those laughing at Tennessee now will be the ones questioning their own lives on Saturday should some debacle occur. I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut until then. But that's me.

Actually keep your mouth shut then

WBOBO

They got a W.  Survive and advance forward to the next.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

RME

Hog N Bama

ok I will agree. It sure was nice bashing their pathetic #9  :puke: team for the past 4 hours though. I will stop now  :)

spiritof92

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on September 01, 2016, 10:29:39 pm
Actually keep your mouth shut then

+1

Not really sure what his point is, tbh.  Nothing anyone posts here tonight is going to have any impact on the LaTech game whatsoever. 

RME

Quote from: spiritof92 on September 01, 2016, 10:34:23 pm
+1

Not really sure what his point is, tbh.  Nothing anyone posts here tonight is going to have any impact on the LaTech game whatsoever.

Not really surprised.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 01, 2016, 10:25:30 pm

How were they not supposed to be a media darling? If Arkansas won 9 games and returned that many starters, I'd say that was a pretty well-earned expectation heading into the next season...
the east is weak that's why. They lost to both west teams they played!

Hog Villager

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 01, 2016, 10:25:30 pm

Temple return two less starters and won 10 games.  By your logic, they should be ranked highly as well. Tennessee didn't beat anyone of consequence last year to justify the hype of those returning starters. 

spiritof92

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 01, 2016, 10:35:36 pm
Not really surprised.

Your point is "we shouldn't make fun of Tennessee's effort tonight because the Hogs might lose to LaTech"?  That's not really a point. 

RME

Quote from: Hog Villager on September 01, 2016, 10:36:46 pm
Temple return two less starters and won 10 games.  By your logic, they should be ranked highly as well. Tennessee didn't beat anyone of consequence last year to justify the hype of those returning starters.

Oh God.

Quote from: spiritof92 on September 01, 2016, 10:38:43 pm
Your point is "we shouldn't make fun of Tennessee's effort tonight because the Hogs might lose to LaTech"?  That's not really a point.

My point is that prudence dictates to keep your mouth shut until you've accomplished a task, rather than hee-hawing about how another team almost didn't complete their task.

Once we beat LA Tech, hell yeah I'm fine with laying into Tennessee. But two Septembers in the last several years have given us all a pretty big shock.

Hog Villager

spiritof92

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 01, 2016, 10:41:52 pm
Oh God.

My point is that prudence dictates to keep your mouth shut until you've accomplished a task, rather than hee-hawing about how another team almost didn't complete their task.

Once we beat LA Tech, hell yeah I'm fine with laying into Tennessee. But two Septembers in the last several years have given us all a pretty big shock.

You would have a point if we were coaches and/or players.  We are Hog fans on a Hog board. 

ALLVOL

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 01, 2016, 10:11:27 pm
Every single September for sure. Horrible game by UT without doubt. But like I said in another post, rather be 1-0 and wondering than 0-1 wondering.

HogMantheIntruder

Not to change the subject, but boy what a difference an accurate kicker makes. More than anything, that's what saved Tenner tonight. I wonder how many games that will win/lose for us this season.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Deep Shoat

Tennessee is likely the ninth best team in the country at every position but QB.  Dobbs is just the most recent in a long line of "running QB's" who actually sucks at being a QB. 

His deep ball is pathetic.  I know, I know "63 yd td pass blah blah".  And if the DB wasn't a midget it woulnd't have been completed.  The real reason this game was close is the Tennessee OC's fear of having Dobbs throw deep.  Kind of like our O /w Casey Dick vs Mitch Mustain once upon a time.
All Gas, No Brakes!

spiritof92

I still can't wrap my head around App State's clock management late in the 4th.  Nothing they did made sense.  From the play calling to taking runs inside away from the sideline.

Quote from: Deep Shoat on September 01, 2016, 10:55:17 pm
Tennessee is likely the ninth best team in the country at every position but QB.  Dobbs is just the most recent in a long line of "running QB's" who actually sucks at being a QB. 

His deep ball is pathetic.  I know, I know "63 yd td pass blah blah".  And if the DB wasn't a midget it woulnd't have been completed.  The real reason this game was close is the Tennessee OC's fear of having Dobbs throw deep.  Kind of like our O /w Casey Dick vs Mitch Mustain once upon a time.

Their O-line looked sketchy at times against a much smaller and less powerful D-line.  More than a few times I saw App State D-linemen just bust through a double team.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Poppa Tart on September 01, 2016, 10:53:23 pm
Not to change the subject, but boy what a difference an accurate kicker makes. More than anything, that's what saved Tenner tonight. I wonder how many games that will win/lose for us this season.
Kicking is a huge part for sure. Special teams in general are crucial. We sucked at ST for the most part tonight. Muffed punt, poor punt coverage, interfering and targeting just to name a few.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: ALLVOL on September 01, 2016, 10:48:38 pm
Every single September for sure. Horrible game by UT without doubt. But like I said in another post, rather be 1-0 and wondering than 0-1 wondering.
I know I'm supposed to hate you for some reason, but since I don't, I'll tell you to remember how the Hogs started vs how they finished last season. This was NOT a marquee win by any means, and I think even you would agree that you're boys' would have lost, had the ball not bounced your way a few times. Regardless 1-0 beats the ever living shart out of 0-1 every time.

Just curious, did you make through the whole game without breaking a tv/remote, or hitting your wall/wife?
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Rayzback

Quote from: Deep Shoat on September 01, 2016, 10:55:17 pm

Looked to me the App State was handling Tenner both offensivly and defensively tonight.  There was some huge holes in that d and they got to the outside often. The Oline looked pitiful.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Rayzback on September 01, 2016, 11:11:58 pm
Looked to me the App State was handling Tenner both offensivly and defensively tonight.  There was some huge holes in that d and they got to the outside often. The Oline looked pitiful.
13 points, 7 of which came off a ST fail?  No, Appy State did their best Appy State impression, but they didn't handle Tennessee.

If Dobbs was even a decent downfield passer, Tenner wins this by 20.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ALLVOL

Quote from: Poppa Tart on September 01, 2016, 11:09:38 pm
I know I'm supposed to hate you for some reason, but since I don't, I'll tell you to remember how the Hogs started vs how they finished last season. This was NOT a marquee win by any means, and I think even you would agree that you're boys' would have lost, had the ball not bounced your way a few times. Regardless 1-0 beats the ever living shart out of 0-1 every time.

Just curious, did you make through the whole game without breaking a tv/remote, or hitting your wall/wife?
Looked bad all over the place. And I was at the game so no hitting anything. Just bonehead plays all over the field.

DeltaHog66

Rocky top is overrated. Butch is overrated. Nothing new.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net