Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defensive Strategy

Started by lamont7906, January 01, 2018, 02:49:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lamont7906

I never coached a game, not even little league, but can someone please explain to me why so many Defense coaches are afraid to try something different?
The reason I say this the bowl games I watched including the Auburn game they continue to play same old ball although they not getting no pressure on the QB. Why not blitz when the opposing team still have aways to go? Why just continue the same thing this thought process baffles me.

cardinalandwhite

Blitzing a QB like the one at UCF is a great way to give up a big play. You take men away from coverage and give the receivers and QB more room to work.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

lakecityhog

You let 5 O'Linemen + a back block 4 D'Linemen and the QB WILL find the open guy. DB's can only cover for so long and someone is going to get open.

Pressure on the QB, that is why the NFL covets DE's that can rush the QB.

Pig Worshipper

I don't know about Defensive Strategy but it appears the overall strategy in college football is no longer "Defense Wins Championships" but more like "Quick Spread Offenses and As Good A Defense As You Can Muster" is the fashion now and definitely what current rules dictate.

jm

No reason to blitz when the qb gets the ball out quick. It's better to play coverage unless you believe you can get to the qb.

Oklahawg

I hate to type this, but "bend but don't break" is a sound strategy. Wait for the offense to get greedy, make a mistake, or wear out.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 01, 2018, 09:15:57 pm
I hate to type this, but "bend but don't break" is a sound strategy. Wait for the offense to get greedy, make a mistake, or wear out.

Correct for programs like ours that won't get sufficient defensive talent to effectively do otherwise.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jm

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on January 01, 2018, 06:57:37 pm
I don't know about Defensive Strategy but it appears the overall strategy in college football is no longer "Defense Wins Championships" but more like "Quick Spread Offenses and As Good A Defense As You Can Muster" is the fashion now and definitely what current rules dictate.

Your belief is widely held but it doesn't really work out that way. Championship teams almost always have a top 10 defense and as good an offense as they can muster.

DoctorSusscrofa

With modern analysis, high tech equipment, etc, coaches know what another team's tendencies are and they know how successful various tactics typically are. If a computer has taught you that your scheme can work if it is executed, you aren't likely to change on a hunch.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

King Kong

The only problem is what happed this year with CBB and his bend don't break. We still gave up Breaks plays.

So it becomes a bend and break Defense

Wildhog

I think you have to do whatever you can affect the QB or the timing of a play.  If you sit back and try to "bend but not break," you'll get torn apart by most modern offenses. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

jkstock04

Quote from: lamont7906 on January 01, 2018, 02:49:03 pm
I never coached a game, not even little league, but can someone please explain to me why so many Defense coaches are afraid to try something different?
The reason I say this the bowl games I watched including the Auburn game they continue to play same old ball although they not getting no pressure on the QB. Why not blitz when the opposing team still have aways to go? Why just continue the same thing this thought process baffles me.
In a way I agree. Nothing makes a DC look dumber than when there is a 3 man rush and you have a tight end running 20 yards up the middle and nobody within 10 yards of him. We see this scenario constantly in football. Playing conservative gets teams beat all the time. NFL as well.

Passing games and skill guys are way too talented these days as a whole vs defensive back 7 skill guys. Unless you are the elite of the elite like Bama or Clemson on defense the bend but don't break strategy makes zero sense.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

If you do not have lb's and db's capable of covering the type of talent most sec teams have, then no defense is going to stop anyone.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SquidBilly

Discipline on defense is the key and it is extremely hard with all of the eye candy the offenses give pre-snap these days.  If you just look at this years Rose Bowl how many times did Oklahoma get burned because a LB or a safety or both made a wrong presnap read and got themselves out of position.  Then look at the other side with the Baker Mayfield TD catch.  Georgia had two defenders out in the flat on that play and both to the WR leaving Mayfield wide open in the corner of he end zone.  Once Georgia settled down on defense and started executing their plays rather than trying to react to what Oklahoma was showing them the tide turned in the game and they won. 

Cinco de Hogo

There are a lot of problems for DC's to consider.  Each player is charged with containment of a player or a certain part of the field.  The spread was developed to help a weaker team have the opportunity to find the spots on the field where that containment breaks down.  In the old offenses you had just a few points of attack and the ideal was to do those thing very well and force the other team to stop them.   That took having better talent that the other guy and more often than not the teams with better talent won.

Why fans who KNOW their team can never hope for that type talent get all up in arms about new offenses being developed to help migrate the talent differences is much be boggling.   If a Petrino or Morris can win 10-11 games with a high powered offense why the heck would you be dreaming of 3 yards and a cloud of dust while going 4-8?

Now that's not about defensive strategy but when talking about the defense someone just had to bring it up and complain about it.  I remember the days when fan said "fire Willy" for letting other teams average 22-23 points a game.  Under our past defensive minded head coach those numbers would have looked pretty good.

Yea bend don't break is probably what we will be doing for awhile and then it depends on TALENT.

nwahogfan1

We must get more speed on Defense.  The day of the 4.8 LBs are over except when rarely when Offense are geared to run the ball.

I want Bigger safeties at LB and Bigger LBs at DE and so forth.  Speed baby.

SemperHawg

All can be remedied by having the Jimmy's and Joe's.  When healthy Bama owns everyone because they are 2 and 3 deep with difference makers on the D Line.  Getting pressure on the QB without blitzing more consistently than any team I've ever watched. 

I say all that to say this, your defensive "Strategy" centers more around who you have then any other variable.

elviscat

Championships are won by defenses. Take the Ala/Clemson game- Ala, took the offense away from Clemson by it's front seven dominating and controlling the  game. The same thing happen in the Georgia/Oklahoma game. We have to develop a front seven that can compete with anyone. It's speed and athleticism that we are missing.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: elviscat on January 04, 2018, 11:08:12 am
Championships are won by defenses. Take the Ala/Clemson game- Ala, took the offense away from Clemson by it's front seven dominating and controlling the  game. The same thing happen in the Georgia/Oklahoma game. We have to develop a front seven that can compete with anyone. It's speed and athleticism that we are missing.

Well Alabama is a shoe-in then because there defense is better than Georgia's.  Here is the thing though, we ain't talking about being Bama(I hope), we are talking about what the best strategy is for Arkansas.  Every single Arkansas fan wants the very best defense we can possibly have but most fans knowing we won't be fielding a Bama defense wants the very best offense we can possibly have.  Our dense is best served by being lighter and faster and hoping the bend don't break strategy forces a mistake once in a while, while our offense is scoring like a machine.

Hardcore Hoggy

Correct, unless you have monster talent in the secondary , most coaches are simply not going to risk it.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 04, 2018, 10:56:12 am
In a way I agree. Nothing makes a DC look dumber than when there is a 3 man rush and you have a tight end running 20 yards up the middle and nobody within 10 yards of him. We see this scenario constantly in football. Playing conservative gets teams beat all the time. NFL as well.

Passing games and skill guys are way too talented these days as a whole vs defensive back 7 skill guys. Unless you are the elite of the elite like Bama or Clemson on defense the bend but don't break strategy makes zero sense.

You have it completely backwards, the more talented defenses can afford to take chances on defense, while the less talented teams have to just play fundamental football and hope to make stops when it matters.

GuvHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2018, 09:17:55 pm
Correct for programs like ours that won’t get sufficient defensive talent to effectively do otherwise.

Actually in '98 and '99, Arkansas had both the talent and the coaching to do exactly that. The '98 "Code Red" Hog defense actually held the eventual National Champions pretty well in check until the "Stoernover" happened. Arkansas hasn't really had a good DC since that time.....until now.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 04, 2018, 11:03:58 am
We must get more speed on Defense.  The day of the 4.8 LBs are over except when rarely when Offense are geared to run the ball.

I want Bigger safeties at LB and Bigger LBs at DE and so forth.  Speed baby.

Speed is king in college football. Alabama's D linemen are fast as our linebackers, their linebackers as fast as our defensive backs and their defensive backs are elite level speed.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 04, 2018, 11:29:17 am
Speed is king in college football. Alabama's D linemen are fast as our linebackers, their linebackers as fast as our defensive backs and their defensive backs are elite level speed.

And the only way we will ever get close to that speed per position is going lighter which creates a whole new set of problems.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 04, 2018, 11:32:18 am
And the only way we will ever get close to that speed per position is going lighter which creates a whole new set of problems.

Agreed, we'll occasionally get the big guy who can run like the wind, but for the most part those players are always going to go to the college football blue bloods, and the few we DO get, we always seem to move them to offense anyway.

I will use DMac and Joe Adams as examples, those guys could have been elite defensive players for us. But we put them on offense. I'm not saying they didn't work out on offense, or anything like that, obviously they both did, I'm merely saying that both of them probably would have played defense at USC or Bama, or Ohio State, or something like that.

bennyl08

Alabama: Ryan Anderson, LB: 4.74-4.85 forty time, 7.73 3-cone drill. 252 pounds.

Jonathan Allen, DE: 5.0 second forty time 9' broad weighing 286.

For comparison, in the same draft, you have Brooks Ellis running a 4.71-4.49 forty time and a 6.79 3cone at 240 pounds and Deatrich Wise at 274 ran a 4.92 and had a 10'4" broad jump.

Let's not deify Bama's players. It's not like I'm comparing our starters on defense to their scrubs. Anderson and Allen were two of their stud players on defense last year. Yes, Bama has some athletic freaks, but they aren't all speed demons.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HogNTX

I'm going to try to keep this brief but this is something I have thought a lot about as a coach... middle school coach who calls our defense. Personally I don't do what I'd like to do because I run what our high school wants run but here are some thoughts.

Basically (and over simplifying everything) you currently have defensive football that has been built to stop offenses pre-spread. The 5-2 is 5 DL (2 DE; 2 DT; & NG) and 2 LB designed to stop run heavy offenses. The 3-4 is an adaptation of that defense by removing the DTs and replacing them with LB. The idea is flexibility to still have 7 in the box but also cover TE and RB that run routes in the pro style offenses using the other LBs. The 4-3 replaces the NG with a LB to give more speed and be able to play strong against the run and still cover the RB and TE. All of these defenses are built to combat a "traditional" front where the offense has 8-9 players in the box but the spread doesn't follow those rules and yet we're trying to defend it like we've defended everything else. We simply pull LB for DB to adjust personnel to quicker guys in slots and wide outs and go more nickels and dimes for coverages and then adjust those coverages based on tendancies out of different formations.

My what if that I've kinda played with on paper is more of an offensive mindset to defensive football. What if I put 0 DL out there and rolled with 6 LB types and 5 DBs... although 2-4-5 or 3-3-5 is more likely. I can ignore the line as threats because they can't go out for a pass and typically won't run the ball. Every threat player in a formation has at least one guy responsible for him... a TE has one guy assigned to him, a RB has 2, a slot has two a wr two an h back 2, QBs 1 or 2 l. Basically I turn defensive football into 11 on 6  where I have 2 guys responsible for all but one of their threats. My alignment would mimic the alignment of the offense with responsibilities changing as the formations change and threats are assessed. Think a match up zone in basketball... it looks like man but plays like zone and vice versa.

LawyerHog50

A good defensive strategy is to hire the guy in my avatar on the left of this post and let him do all that thinking.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

HogNTX

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on January 04, 2018, 07:51:41 pm
A good defensive strategy is to hire the guy in my avatar on the left of this post and let him do all that thinking.

I can't argue with that at all.

PygmalionEffect2

Quote from: King Kong on January 04, 2018, 10:42:43 am
The only problem is what happed this year with CBB and his bend don't break. We still gave up Breaks plays.

So it becomes a bend and break Defense

I think that is what the OP is trying to say.  If you rush four and it's working you stay with it, but when you're rushing four and the QB is sitting back there with time for receivers to break open, it's obviously not working.

So, you're really not "risking" anything to stunt a LB or DB.  If you are consistently giving a good QB 5 seconds to throw the ball, doesn't matter if you have 3 in coverage or 6.... you're going to lose.

Our lack of aggressiveness on defense for several years has been one of the main factors in our lack of success.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

SultanofSwine

Quote from: HogNTX on January 04, 2018, 07:48:44 pm
I'm going to try to keep this brief but this is something I have thought a lot about as a coach... middle school coach who calls our defense. Personally I don't do what I'd like to do because I run what our high school wants run but here are some thoughts.

Basically (and over simplifying everything) you currently have defensive football that has been built to stop offenses pre-spread. The 5-2 is 5 DL (2 DE; 2 DT; & NG) and 2 LB designed to stop run heavy offenses. The 3-4 is an adaptation of that defense by removing the DTs and replacing them with LB. The idea is flexibility to still have 7 in the box but also cover TE and RB that run routes in the pro style offenses using the other LBs. The 4-3 replaces the NG with a LB to give more speed and be able to play strong against the run and still cover the RB and TE. All of these defenses are built to combat a "traditional" front where the offense has 8-9 players in the box but the spread doesn't follow those rules and yet we're trying to defend it like we've defended everything else. We simply pull LB for DB to adjust personnel to quicker guys in slots and wide outs and go more nickels and dimes for coverages and then adjust those coverages based on tendancies out of different formations.

My what if that I've kinda played with on paper is more of an offensive mindset to defensive football. What if I put 0 DL out there and rolled with 6 LB types and 5 DBs... although 2-4-5 or 3-3-5 is more likely. I can ignore the line as threats because they can't go out for a pass and typically won't run the ball. Every threat player in a formation has at least one guy responsible for him... a TE has one guy assigned to him, a RB has 2, a slot has two a wr two an h back 2, QBs 1 or 2 l. Basically I turn defensive football into 11 on 6  where I have 2 guys responsible for all but one of their threats. My alignment would mimic the alignment of the offense with responsibilities changing as the formations change and threats are assessed. Think a match up zone in basketball... it looks like man but plays like zone and vice versa.

Where does your QB pressure come from? I am with you on thinking outside the box but from a defensive perspective, you have to account for the fact that the receivers know where they are going and can get separation or at least should be especially if the QB is not pressured at all.

I am not a coach but it looks to me like a variation of a 3-3-5 with A zac  painter hybrid role in the mix or maybe 2 has the most flexibility to defend the majority of today's offenses. How you scheme that is the key. And the most obvious place to me is changing coverage areas in zone. Use the hybrids in zone to gap fill for slants or other short patterns but still close for run support. May be way off base but like I said I'm no coach.

Pudgepork

What they'd eventually do is run qb delays with their best talent at qb.  That leaves them with a 5 man wedge to block your 2 qb spies.    Once they snap and all eligible receivers run 20 yds downfield, the qb takes off following his wedge

Hawghiggs

Reggie Herring  could be one of the best DC we ever had for 1st and 2nd down. If he would have had some type of 3rd down zone play.

MuskogeeHogFan

Those are good thoughts. I appreciate the post. You are thinking about possibilities to counteract the offenses you face and that is what you should do. I was never a DC but I have been an O-Line Coach and an OC and QB Coach. Now ask yourself, what is the worst nightmare that an offense can face?

Well designed stunts and games run by the front seven (in whatever configuration) that creates disruption in the backfield whether a designed passing or a running play or a an RPO.

Remember what it was that "broke the bone" years ago. Disciplined, assignment football, but when teams started really coming after the wishbone, they forced decisions earlier, rather than when they wanted to make those decisions.

Pressure defense is what can make offenses designed on defensive reads to break down. Especially if they have to make those decisions more quickly than they had practiced and planned. Do that and you frustrate an offense and their players. Frustrate the offensive unit and you begin to see a breakdown.

Oh sure, you stand the chance of them scheming to throw over you, but at your level, the middle school level, this could be less of a threat than at the HS level or college level.

You may occasionally give up some big plays and maybe some big plays for scores, but if you are in their faces more often and making them have to make key decisions quicker than they had designed, you may find that you make the opposing offense less viable than your opponent had hoped to be.

There isn't an offense in the country at any level that likes being in a position to have to make key decisions in an RPO situation sooner than they planned or would like to make those decisions.

More pressure tends to force more poor decisions than better decisions. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

HogNTX

Quote from: SultanofSwine on January 04, 2018, 08:15:07 pm
Where does your QB pressure come from? I am with you on thinking outside the box but from a defensive perspective, you have to account for the fact that the receivers know where they are going and can get separation or at least should be especially if the QB is not pressured at all.

I am not a coach but it looks to me like a variation of a 3-3-5 with A zac  painter hybrid role in the mix or maybe 2 has the most flexibility to defend the majority of today's offenses. How you scheme that is the key. And the most obvious place to me is changing coverage areas in zone. Use the hybrids in zone to gap fill for slants or other short patterns but still close for run support. May be way off base but like I said I'm no coach.

Quote from: Pudgepork on January 04, 2018, 08:29:39 pm
What they'd eventually do is run qb delays with their best talent at qb.  That leaves them with a 5 man wedge to block your 2 qb spies.    Once they snap and all eligible receivers run 20 yds downfield, the qb takes off following his wedge

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 04, 2018, 08:59:57 pm
Those are good thoughts. I appreciate the post. You are thinking about possibilities to counteract the offenses you face and that is what you should do. I was never a DC but I have been an O-Line Coach and an OC and QB Coach. Now ask yourself, what is the worst nightmare that an offense can face?

Well designed stunts and games run by the front seven (in whatever configuration) that creates disruption in the backfield whether a designed passing or a running play or a an RPO.

Remember what it was that "broke the bone" years ago. Disciplined, assignment football, but when teams started really coming after the wishbone, they forced decisions earlier, rather than when they wanted to make those decisions.

Pressure defense is what can make offenses designed on defensive reads to break down. Especially if they have to make those decisions more quickly than they had practiced and planned. Do that and you frustrate an offense and their players. Frustrate the offensive unit and you begin to see a breakdown.

Oh sure, you stand the chance of them scheming to throw over you, but at your level, the middle school level, this could be less of a threat than at the HS level or college level.

You may occasionally give up some big plays and maybe some big plays for scores, but if you are in their faces more often and making them have to make key decisions quicker than they had designed, you may find that you make the opposing offense less viable than your opponent had hoped to be.

There isn't an offense in the country at any level that likes being in a position to have to make key decisions in an RPO situation sooner than they planned or would like to make those decisions.

More pressure tends to force more poor decisions than better decisions. JMO

Completely agree on pressure and that's what I'm actually trying to get more of... bringing at least 3 every down from different places with delays from 1 or 2 and based on what threats can afford to lose one of the 2 assigned.

It's all paper now and just messing around against different formations and what they can run out of them. It's really difficult to figure out the system of matchups and who rushes against what reads without blowing against other plays. Nothing even close to try to implement.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on January 04, 2018, 07:51:41 pm
+1
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 04, 2018, 04:24:08 pm
Alabama: Ryan Anderson, LB: 4.74-4.85 forty time, 7.73 3-cone drill. 252 pounds.

Jonathan Allen, DE: 5.0 second forty time 9' broad weighing 286.

For comparison, in the same draft, you have Brooks Ellis running a 4.71-4.49 forty time and a 6.79 3cone at 240 pounds and Deatrich Wise at 274 ran a 4.92 and had a 10'4" broad jump.

Let's not deify Bama's players. It's not like I'm comparing our starters on defense to their scrubs. Anderson and Allen were two of their stud players on defense last year. Yes, Bama has some athletic freaks, but they aren't all speed demons.

You're comparing NFL draft picks though, not even Alabama fields a team full of NFL draft picks.

On AVERAGE Alabama is bigger and faster than us at every position. That is what I was getting at.

I even said that yes we do get some guys of that caliber.

LZH

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on January 04, 2018, 10:01:17 am
With modern analysis, high tech equipment, etc, coaches know what another team's tendencies are and they know how successful various tactics typically are. If a computer has taught you that your scheme can work if it is executed, you aren't likely to change on a hunch.

North Dallas Forty

a0ashle

Hold serve on offense, capitalize as much as you can on defense, turnovers not punts. Seems to be the way things are going, especially with rule changes favoring offenses.

ballz2thewall

the largest problem with a predominant bend don't break scheme, paired against a salty, prolific offense is.....

eventually the defense will get stung. the coverage guys simply can't maintain effective coverage at a frequency that is good enough to affect the overall outcome of the game. the opponent will eventually find a target, or break a run.

there has to be some legit pressure on the qb at some point.
The rest of the frog.

IronHog

Quote from: ballz2thewall on January 05, 2018, 11:40:27 am
the largest problem with a predominant bend don't break scheme, paired against a salty, prolific offense is.....

eventually the defense will get stung. the coverage guys simply can't maintain effective coverage at a frequency that is good enough to affect the overall outcome of the game. the opponent will eventually find a target, or break a run.

there has to be some legit pressure on the qb at some point.

Well coached offense will eat up a bend but don't break defense

Better to try to take the initiative from a good defense with aggressive play

Even if you give up some big plays being aggressive at least you're defense isn't worn down   
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

colbs

You have to try to take away from what the offense does best and make them beat you another way.  That's easier said than done but it should be the goal.  If you are going to against a run team add another defender in the box.  If going against a team that likes to pass either blitz to disrupt, drop someone in coverage, or a combination. 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2018, 09:17:55 pm
Correct for programs like ours that won't get sufficient defensive talent to effectively do otherwise.

Dan Hampton, Billy Ray Smith(jr & Sr), Wayne Martin, Ronnie Caveness, Steve Atwater, and Tony Bua say "hello"....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

elksnort

This is a good thread. Coaches can be stubborn sometimes, no matter how knowledgeable they are. hen
I think they is a time and place for bend but don't break as well as blitzing. I think the key is to know when to mix it up.

Penn State beat Miami in 1987 Fiesta Bowl by playing bend but don't break and it worked. Testaverde got fooled eventually. Then you look at UGA and Oklahoma the other day. It appears that UGA abandoned the contain concept and started coming after Baker Mayfield.

Defense is situational for sure. Ultimately, when you have the better players, the less complicated you have to be.

elksnort

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 05, 2018, 12:17:45 pm
Dan Hampton, Billy Ray Smith(jr & Sr), Wayne Martin, Ronnie Caveness, Steve Atwater, and Tony Bua say "hello"....
You are choosing guys from over 50 years. The Razorbacks don't regularly get that kind of talent.

thebignasty

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 05, 2018, 12:17:45 pm

One of these things is not like the other....
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

IronHog

Quote from: thebignasty on January 05, 2018, 12:22:04 pm
One of these things is not like the other....

Bua is a Hogville legend

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Logan County Hog

Defensive success vs Spread:
1. SPEED
2. DISCIPLINE
3. Always move your D linemen. Different shades and slants with LB'ers , never the same look twice in a series
4. SPEED to make a big play when DISCIPLINE is lost. Just takes ONE mistake on defense for a big play on offense

Flrazrback

Tony Bua wasn't the biggest player we had, but he had the heart and determination of a 400 pound angry Gorilla..  We need that kind of talent

Hogindasticks

Arkansas Defensive Strategy:

Hire a DC!