Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When is the last time the Heisman was given to a player on a 4-loss team?

Started by stchane, November 16, 2007, 12:10:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stchane

With Dennis Dixon going down, (and I know its bad) but assuming he doesn't come back, that puts DMAC back in the front-runner position for the Heisman.  Tebow is a sophomore, and a sophomore has never won it.  Chase Daniel just doesn't strike me as a Heisman contender, but who am I to say that?  Assuming we beat MSU (which is a huge assumption), and DMAC has a huge game agaisnt LSU, he should win it right? 

When is the last time a player on a 4-loss team has won it?  I know Rickey Williams' Texas team had 3 losses, but I can't find and don't remember the last time a 4-loss team had a player win the Heisman.  Anyone know?
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

Adam Stokes

If Dmac performs well in the next two games he will win it, I don't think he will have a good game against LSU however.  I think Tebow has gotten it.  He is second in the ESPN Heisman voting,

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/heisman07/index

I'll cross my fingers though.

stchane

Quote from: ajs15razorman on November 16, 2007, 12:11:46 am
If Dmac performs well in the next two games he will win it, I don't think he will have a good game against LSU however.  I think Tebow has gotten it.  He is second in the ESPN Heisman voting,

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/heisman07/index

I'll cross my fingers though.

Yeah I saw that.  However, no sophomore has ever won it.  I doubt they'll start now, but anything is possible
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

Cale

as much as I hate to absolutely say it, if Tebow won it, I wouldn't be upset, he's lights out.

if anyone wins besides darren or tebow they can trash that trophy it's lost it's importance.
Quote from: jst01 on January 06, 2018, 06:00:42 pm<br />Maybe we are a baseball school <br />

VenturaHog

msudawgs64

Paul Hornung, Notre Dame's is the only Heisman winner from a losing team. The Fighting Irish finished 2-8 in 1956.  He may also be the only one from a team with more than 4 losses.  Would need to research it though.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

msudawgs64

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

mathhog

msudawgs64

riccoar

Dmac has only Smith to back him up for MSU.  That means DMac will get a lot of carries that would have went to Jones.  He then must turn around on a short week for LSU.  Both teams have good enough secondaries to key on the run.  Its still a tossup, but his performance against LSU will make or break his chances.  Both LSU and MSU are playing for more than us.  LSU for a NC spot and MSU for 2nd place in the West.

mossfan33

When I saw Tebow's high school film I told my buddy (Michael11) that Tebow would win multiple offense if Urban Meyer let him run the same offense that he let Alex Smith run......... I really hope it doesn't start this year.  D-Mac is the most outstanding player in college football, that's what the definition of the Heisman is.
Go HG Hornets. STL Cardinals.  Packers.  Tar Heels  Hogs

riccoar

I still think DMac is tops above all these guys.  He has remained healthy while carrying the bulk of this team's offense.

navyhog24

as much as i want dmac to win it, tebow has been awesome this year himself. he's about to become the first qb ever to have 20+ passing td's and rushing td's in the same season.

HoggySTruman

nughaud

Ya, we are going to lose 5, at least... LSU for sure... State is up in the air.

The Hawg Marshal

Its a shame that there is any debate about this. This should have been D-Mac 's trophy hands down. I think Nutt robbed D-Mac and inadvertantly put Mitch in the race for next year.

RazorsEdge

http://www.heisman.com/handbook/team-records-year.html

If we lose another game, McFadden will have it stacked against him.  Thanks Nutt!

redbarn

Not to get off of subject very far but if DMac wins the Heisman, which I hope he does, how do you think that would affect Nutts leaving?  Do you think he would still leave on his own?  I would think firing the head coach of the Heisman winner would be extrememly unusual.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

STRILE

You guys are smokin      .  DMac is done, especially with 5 losses. 
"Strile is critical to Hogville.  He accounts for 0.00077% of all posts"  anonymous moderator

LordStanleysHog

Quote from: jjones46 on November 16, 2007, 12:38:34 am
How 'bout a 6 loss team?

Do us all a big favor and stay on topic... honestly, there are hunderds or other threads where this post would be entirely appropriate...

But didn't Paul Hornug win on a 7 loss team?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: msudawgs64 on November 16, 2007, 12:45:19 am
Paul Hornung, Notre Dame's is the only Heisman winner from a losing team. The Fighting Irish finished 2-8 in 1956.  He may also be the only one from a team with more than 4 losses.  Would need to research it though.

Paul is it  Bo's Auburn team had 3 losses if I remember correctly.  Tebow will get blindsided by the Sophomore rule.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HatfieldHog

THe race for heisman just got closer last night, with Dixon going down to injury.

Sad, but true.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

You guys' keep cracking me up.  Dmac isn't going to win this award.

Get over it.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

hogsanity

Why isnt Chase Daniel getting any pub at Mizzu?  Tebow is going to win it unless Dmac has 2 SC type games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2007, 09:06:47 am
Why isnt Chase Daniel getting any pub at Mizzu?  Tebow is going to win it unless Dmac has 2 SC type games.

Dmac's team has too many losses  All this talk will be over after State cleans Nutt's plate Sat in the ROCK!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LordStanleysHog

You've got the best RB since Hershal and Bo suited up... how can you not give it to him? Ignore the team stats, this is a once in a generation type player... QB's like Tebow come around all the time, dual threat I mean... that's basically what he is, he's not a finesse dual-threat like a Vince Young, Matt Jones or Dennis Dixon... he's a throw-back dual-threat, smash mouth runner...

My point is, you don't see RB's like McFadden all too often and I'm hoping the voters won't make the mistake they did by not giving A Peterson a Heisman before he left... they kept coming up with excuses not to give to him and they are doing the same thing with McFadden, Jason Whitlock's article was spot on, I thought.

RazorsEdge

In case the link posted earlier doesn't work for someone,  Timmy Brown of Notre Dame won the Heisman Trophy in 1987 on a team that went 8-4.  Before that, it was Bo Jackson 1985 8-4, and George Rogers 1980 8-4.

dougieritch

I want DMac to win, but if a sub-par Tennessee team can stop him, what about one of the top defenses in America (LSU)?

Last year LSU was happy to double team Monk and play straight up D on Arkansas, so McFadden got free, however this year's line is not as good as last year and LSU knows we don't pass well so they'll load up the box (same situation all year...if we had a smart coach this problem would have been fixed years ago).  It will be interesting...so far we haven't faired to well in hostile environments.

hogfan064

The last 2 RBs to win the Heisman for a Southern school won it from 8-4 teams.  Bo Jackson in 85 and George Rogers in 80

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: msudawgs64 on November 16, 2007, 12:45:19 am

ding ding ding ding. The biggest miscarriage of justice ever in college football. Johnny Majors should have won it hands down. Tennessee was 10-0 in the regular season and Majors was such a force for the Vols. More of that unwarranted Notre Dame idolization.

Tripod1

Quote from: LordStanleysHog on November 16, 2007, 09:09:24 am
You've got the best RB since Hershal and Bo suited up... how can you not give it to him? Ignore the team stats, this is a once in a generation type player... QB's like Tebow come around all the time, dual threat I mean... that's basically what he is, he's not a finesse dual-threat like a Vince Young, Matt Jones or Dennis Dixon... he's a throw-back dual-threat, smash mouth runner...

My point is, you don't see RB's like McFadden all too often and I'm hoping the voters won't make the mistake they did by not giving A Peterson a Heisman before he left... they kept coming up with excuses not to give to him and they are doing the same thing with McFadden, Jason Whitlock's article was spot on, I thought.
All are good points and I agree that DMAC is THE BEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER.  But, the voters WILL NOT ignore the team stats.  That is why the Heisman is NOT the award it originally was.  It is now the best football player on a top rated team and Arkansas is not top rated, thanks to the DORK.

RazorsEdge

Quote from: hogfan064 on November 16, 2007, 09:12:53 am
The last 2 RBs to win the Heisman for a Southern school won it from 8-4 teams.  Bo Jackson in 85 and George Rogers in 80
I just realized that we need to take out bowl games since they are after the Heisman.  Tim Brown, Bo Jackson and George Rogers all had 3 losses in hand when they won the Heisman.  The last player to win the award with 4 losses in hand at the ceremony was Steve Owens in 1969 from an Oklahoma team that was 6-4.

stchane

Quote from: RazorsEdge on November 16, 2007, 08:03:42 am
http://www.heisman.com/handbook/team-records-year.html

If we lose another game, McFadden will have it stacked against him.  Thanks Nutt!

I think this site is dispositive of the issue.  Nobody has ever won off of a winning 5+ loss team.  Eric Crouch got it based on his body of work, and based off DMAC's body of work, I don't see how you can't give it to him.  We'll see what happens with Chase Daniel; Tebow's #'s are great, and he is a great player, but he is also a sophomore.  Wasn't DMAC the only sophomore to come in 2nd, or did Rex Grossman do it too?  Either way, despite HDN, DMAC is the best player in college football, and Kirk Herstreit has been saying that all year long.  Hopefully the voters have listened.