Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nutt vs Mike for Baylor job

Started by DbjHog, November 18, 2007, 03:17:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DbjHog

They are saying that Mike is the leading canidate. So I ask this...Why would they pick Nutt over him?

midnighthog

COCHISE

Quote from: DbjHog on November 18, 2007, 03:17:32 pm
They are saying that Mike is the leading canidate. So I ask this...Why would they pick Nutt over him?
HC experience is the only reason that comes to mind.

peakhog

axedawg

hoglady

Me too !!!
I'm actually more excited about this, than I was walking into WMS yesterday.
Boy - it really is past time for a new coach.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

JHGiunta

November 18, 2007, 04:00:49 pm #6 Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 04:14:50 pm by JHGiunta

I want Nutt GONE Yesterday.  But I will answer your post in the most positive, realistic way that I can.

Main Reasons:

In 10 years as Arkansas' Head Coach in the SEC (toughest conference in the NCAA) HDN has:

1) ....... been to the SEC Championship game twice.
2) ....... been named SEC COY twice.
3) ....... acquired the national reputation of being able to "do more with less".   :puke:
4) ....... acquired a .500 conference record. (In the SEC)
5) ....... Mike Singletary has no head coaching experience.
6) ....... They're Baylor.  ;D

Thanks

rayrayc17

Quote from: JHGiunta on November 18, 2007, 04:00:49 pm

Main Reasons:

5) ....... Mike Singletary has no coaching experience.

I know it's a minor point, but Mike Singletary does have coaching experience, just not head coaching experience.  This from Wikipedia:

In 2003, Singletary became linebackers coach for the Baltimore Ravens (pairing Singletary with Ray Lewis). Following the 2004 season, the San Francisco 49ers hired Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Nolan to be their head coach, and Singletary left the Ravens with Nolan to be San Francisco's assistant head coach and linebackers coach.

In 2007, Singletary interviewed for the head coaching job of the Dallas Cowboys and San Diego Chargers, but was ultimately passed over. He remains a head coaching prospect.

That, and Singletary, as an alum of Baylor would be a great hire for the university.  And, along with his charisma and motivational speaking background, would probably do a great job of getting a better haul of recruits than some of the past coaches.

But, I also hope they end up with Nutt.

rljjr

Singeltary is a Baylor guy. I bet the bears would like to have him about as much as a lot of folks here want Butch for the same reasons

SLC

Didn't someone say Mike wanted 3 mil?  If true, that would be a big reason.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

JHGiunta

Quote from: rayrayc17 on November 18, 2007, 04:06:57 pm

Main Reasons:

I know it's a minor point, but Mike Singletary does have coaching experience, just not head coaching experience.  This from Wikipedia:

In 2003, Singletary became linebackers coach for the Baltimore Ravens (pairing Singletary with Ray Lewis). Following the 2004 season, the San Francisco 49ers hired Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Nolan to be their head coach, and Singletary left the Ravens with Nolan to be San Francisco's assistant head coach and linebackers coach.

In 2007, Singletary interviewed for the head coaching job of the Dallas Cowboys and San Diego Chargers, but was ultimately passed over. He remains a head coaching prospect.

That, and Singletary, as an alum of Baylor would be a great hire for the university.  And, along with his charisma and motivational speaking background, would probably do a great job of getting a better haul of recruits than some of the past coaches.

That is what I meant to put.  Thanks for catching that.  +1

SLC

Quote from: JHGiunta on November 18, 2007, 04:15:28 pm

Main Reasons:

NFL coaching experience.  Big question though, can he recruit?  In today's game, name recognition alone is not enough.  In addition, how many kids he would be recruiting would have ever seen him play?
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

texas tush hog

A lot of their people feel like they made a mistake by putting too much stock in the
NFL credentials of Morris not just his Kentucky experience, want a more college oriented
coach this time. Besides Nutt was all but hired at Baylor in 1997 before he changed his mind
and at Franks urging took the Boise State job after Pokey Allen died. He had already lined
up his co-ordinators and had to call them back and apologize. Boise was supposed to be his
catapult to greatness so Broyles could hire him at Arkansas. Boise was loaded with two of
Pokey's best recruiting classes but the best Nutt coul do was 4-7 which became 5-6 after
Nutt left because of a forfeit. This and Pokey's last team which went 1-10 playing mostly
Freshmaen a nd sopomores while Pokey was battling cancer which he would lose are the onl
two losing seasons Boise had in the last 25 years.

Cartoon Man

rayrayc17

Quote from: SLC on November 18, 2007, 04:21:04 pm
Quote from: JHGiunta on November 18, 2007, 04:15:28 pm

Main Reasons:

NFL coaching experience.  Big question though, can he recruit?  In today's game, name recognition alone is not enough.  In addition, how many kids he would be recruiting would have ever seen him play?
I suppose my point was that Singletary's motivational/star personality could be a good recruiting tool.  Definitely couldn't be worse than having Guy Morris. 

In addition, he does have the presence/personality to do a great job.

But again, I digress.  I hope Hooty gets the job.  I'm a Singletary fan and hope he stays put in the NFL. 

Boarcephus

Someone made an interesting point last night about why Baylor kind of shyed away from MS and that was because of his mixed marriage.  I've always liked the guy and could care less who he's married to and this is a stab, but without having a clue who she is, she has to be a better person than one Mrs. Houston Nutt.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Lake City Hog

Maybe they are like many here in Arkansas, they think MS should "pay his dues" at a lower level school as coordinator or head coach first.

hogSGreer

Quote from: rljjr on November 18, 2007, 04:08:08 pm
Singeltary is a Baylor guy. I bet the bears would like to have him about as much as a lot of folks here want Butch for the same reasons

This is true.  The people that know about football on campus are extremely excited about the possibility of getting singletary.

tophawg19

nutt's record against texas should be enough to win the job.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

JShipCPA

Hootie will have a difficult time beating out Singletary for this job... 

He is a legend in Wacko...

wacohog

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 18, 2007, 08:26:13 pm
Someone made an interesting point last night about why Baylor kind of shyed away from MS and that was because of his mixed marriage.  I've always liked the guy and could care less who he's married to and this is a stab, but without having a clue who she is, she has to be a better person than one Mrs. Houston Nutt.

I doubt that this is true.  Baylor and Walter Abercrombie are still tied together,  and Walter's spouse,  fwiw,  is anglo.

I really don't believe at all that this is an issue(as it shouldn't be.)

axedawg

Perhaps we should get bizzy on the Baylor boards and start pimpin' him hard!  "Psssttt...hey Bears, wanna coach you can keep for 10 yrs??"   :puke:

Dr Swineglove

I wouldn't wish HDN on the Iranian national soccer team. 
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

wacohog

Quote from: hogSGreer on November 18, 2007, 08:38:59 pm

This is true.  The people that know about football on campus are extremely excited about the possibility of getting singletary.

I know that Grant Teaff is pushing a bit for Singletary,  but believe it or not,  Nutt enjoys more than a little support down here amongst the Baylor faithful I know well.

I hate to break it to you,  but I don't think that the rest of the world cares very much about Mitchgate,  textual relations,  Gus-to-tulsa,  etc.  I think that Baylor sees in Nutt a well-known coach that has enjoyed some success in the SEC. They understand that expectations at Baylor are different than those at a place like Arkansas.  If Nutt were to duplicate his 60% win ratio at Baylor,  he'd be a hero.

I want Nutt to leave my Hogs now;  I also think that he might be a great fit for Baylor.  He'd have a clean slate,  could join the 'right' church down here,  rehab his image a bit and his enthusiasm would be a great-deal different from the ever-quiet Morriss .

This is how my Baylor friends see it,  which is fine with me

wacohog

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 18, 2007, 08:47:51 pm
nutt's record against texas should be enough to win the job.

Well,  it certainly doesn't hurt him any

memphishog

baylor took a hard look at singletary when they hired morris. my fear is they won't want to "make the same mistake twice" rather than taking our problem.

wacohog

Quote from: memphishog on November 18, 2007, 09:03:57 pm
baylor took a hard look at singletary when they hired morris. my fear is they won't want to "make the same mistake twice" rather than taking our problem.

yes they did,  and I'm not sure that Mike isn't the first choice.  I still think, based on what I'm hearing,  that the decision has NOT been made,  and that Nutt is still in the running

yraciv

Nutt fits the religious aspect of thie university I think, as long as he can keep Diane away from 2X4 comments.

Hoggish1

Quote from: wacohog on November 18, 2007, 09:01:08 pm
Quote from: hogSGreer on November 18, 2007, 08:38:59 pm

I know that Grant Teaff is pushing a bit for Singletary,  but believe it or not,  Nutt enjoys more than a little support down here amongst the Baylor faithful I know well.

I hate to break it to you,  but I don't think that the rest of the world cares very much about Mitchgate,  textual relations,  Gus-to-tulsa,  etc.  I think that Baylor sees in Nutt a well-known coach that has enjoyed some success in the SEC. They understand that expectations at Baylor are different than those at a place like Arkansas.  If Nutt were to duplicate his 60% win ratio at Baylor,  he'd be a hero.

I want Nutt to leave my Hogs now;  I also think that he might be a great fit for Baylor.  He'd have a clean slate,  could join the 'right' church down here,  rehab his image a bit and his enthusiasm would be a great-deal different from the ever-quiet Morriss .

This is how my Baylor friends see it,  which is fine with me

Fine with me too.  I think there is something to be said for seeing it like they do. ;)