Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The NCAA has outlived it's usefulness

Started by sowmonella, March 11, 2018, 11:10:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sowmonella

The NCAA selection picks combined with all of the other piss poor decisions they have made should convince anyone with a half a brain that is time to start over.
1. It's a multi billion dollar industry. Hire full time professional and proficient refs.
2. Enforce the friggin rules on cheating. If not tell everyone it's allowed to go all North Carolina, Ole Miss, Kentucky and Auburn.
3. If a coach cheats ban him for life. Why is Cal or Bruce allowed to coach.
4. Come to the realization that ESPN or Nike isn't in charge. Conference Tourney Champions should just get a trophy.
5. Pick the top 64 teams and let them play.
The selection show is what set me off. GOD HELP them if I were an Oklahoma State Fan. BY the way they can take their quadrants and shove em where the sun don't shine.
Whew...Where's the Tylenol?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Mo_Better_Hogs

Well, the criminal element is strong. And you've pointed out about 5 of them.

ShadowHawg

Play a tournament for the national championship but not conference championships?

This isn't football. There isn't any level of basketball where a round robin determines an end of season overall championship.

The small conference schools understand they have to win their tournament to get in. No one shows up to watch their regular season snoozer games because of it.

The teams that got left out all had warts just like the teams that got in ahead of them.

HogBreath

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 12, 2018, 12:51:31 am
Play a tournament for the national championship but not conference championships?

This isn't football. There isn't any level of basketball where a round robin determines an end of season overall championship.

The small conference schools understand they have to win their tournament to get in. No one shows up to watch their regular season snoozer games because of it.

The teams that got left out all had warts just like the teams that got in ahead of them.
Leave it to a shadowy figure to defend the NCAA.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 12, 2018, 12:51:31 am

Wow, we agree on something.

Every year a team or two gets left out that everyone freaks out about. Okie State is the one this year. Yes, they had some really good wins, but a team that beats KU twice should not lose some of the games they lost either.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Adam Stokes

Yep, cry me a river if you think you should be able to play for national title when few think you are even a top 40 team. Oklahoma State had an RPI of 88 and their only decent non-con victory was Florida State. Funny to think that some argue that you shouldn't be allowed to even get into the playoff for football unless you win your conference when only 4 teams go to the playoff, but Vandy could've won the SEC tournament and that they shouldn't have even be included in the NCAA tournament.

steveaustin69

hogsanity

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 12, 2018, 08:24:14 am
Yep, cry me a river if you think you should be able to play for national title when few think you are even a top 40 team. Oklahoma State had an RPI of 88 and their only decent non-con victory was Florida State. Funny to think that some argue that you shouldn't be allowed to even get into the playoff for football unless you win your conference when only 4 teams go to the playoff, but Vandy could've won the SEC tournament and that they shouldn't have even be included in the NCAA tournament.

Same thing for people talking about USC. If I heard correctly they did not win one game against the top 4 teas in the PAC12, a conf that only got 3 teams into the tourney.

To me the biggest gripe is MTSU. Ranked for the last few weeks, gets upset in the conf tourney and does not get in.

My one complaint about the NCAAT committee is how their story changes on the importance of conference tourneys just to fit how they treat a team like MTSU.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: sowmonella on March 11, 2018, 11:10:47 pm
The NCAA selection picks combined with all of the other piss poor decisions they have made should convince anyone with a half a brain that is time to start over.
1. It's a multi billion dollar industry. Hire full time professional and proficient refs.
2. Enforce the friggin rules on cheating. If not tell everyone it's allowed to go all North Carolina, Ole Miss, Kentucky and Auburn.
3. If a coach cheats ban him for life. Why is Cal or Bruce allowed to coach.
4. Come to the realization that ESPN or Nike isn't in charge. Conference Tourney Champions should just get a trophy.
5. Pick the top 64 teams and let them play.
The selection show is what set me off. GOD HELP them if I were an Oklahoma State Fan. BY the way they can take their quadrants and shove em where the sun don't shine.
Whew...Where's the Tylenol?
The quadrants don't even make sense. Arkansas is a team from the south that was put in the east bracket but will be playing in Detroit, which is one of the northern most major cities in our country
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 12, 2018, 11:08:18 am
The quadrants don't even make sense. Arkansas is a team from the south that was put in the east bracket but will be playing in Detroit, which is one of the northern most major cities in our country

Regions =/= quadrants

hogsanity

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 12, 2018, 11:08:18 am

Oh good lawd, quadrants have NOTHING to do with where a team is or where they are playing. It had to do with where your opponents were rated based on things like BPI, RPI, etc. Playing UNC was a Quadrant 1 game. Playing Samford or ORU was like a Q2 or Q3 game.

hogsanity

Hoggish1

They could at the very least make the seeds solely based on the RPI rankings.  No way then would 33 Middle TN, 34 USC Trojans and 40 St Mary's get left out!!

As for cheating, the NCAA is at the head of the line, so they have to be removed from the equation all together...

raz1965

The NCAA is corrupt no doubt about that, all about how to make the next dollar.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 12, 2018, 11:54:21 am
They could at the very least make the seeds solely based on the RPI ranking.  As for cheating, the NCAA is at the head of the line, so there's that...

They just spent 3 or 4 years getting ripped for basically just relying on RPI. You can schedule what should be a good RPI group in the ooc, but if those teams fall flat, your rpi suffers through no real fault of your own. So they have come up with other parameters to go along with RPI.

Another thing with RPi is the unbalanced conf schedule in many leagues. Think how much better the Hogs rpi would have been had they played FLA/KY/TN twice instead of LSU/OM/Mizzu ( although their overall record may have been worse ).

Hoggish1

Quote from: hogsanity on March 12, 2018, 08:17:42 am
Wow, we agree on something.

Every year a team or two gets left out that everyone freaks out about. Okie State is the one this year. Yes, they had some really good wins, but a team that beats KU twice should not lose some of the games they lost either.

Forget about OSU—their RPI is in the 80s... How do you explain, Middle TN, USC w and St. Mary's? at 40 or below in RPI?

Rocket23

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 12, 2018, 11:54:21 am
They could at the very least make the seeds solely based on the RPI rankings.  No way then would 33 Middle TN, 34 USC Trojans and 40 St Mary's get left out!!

As for cheating, the NCAA is at the head of the line, so they have to be removed from the equation all together...
St Mary's played no one.  Bennett has been through this before and still didn't beef up non-con schedule.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 12, 2018, 12:04:34 pm
Forget about OSU—their RPI is in the 80s... How do you explain, Middle TN, USC w and St. Mary's? at 40 or below in RPI?

I was saying OSU is the team everyone is freaking out over. They lost to Baylor twice KSU twice and TCU twice, enough said right there. USC wasn't any better, they did not beat one team in the top of the PAc12. St Mary's had two wins over q1 or q2 teams. MTSU, never saw them play, only thing I know about them is they were in the top 25 the last few weeks and got dumped in their conf tourney.

Hoggish1

Quote from: hogsanity on March 12, 2018, 12:02:58 pm
They just spent 3 or 4 years getting ripped for basically just relying on RPI. You can schedule what should be a good RPI group in the ooc, but if those teams fall flat, your rpi suffers through no real fault of your own. So they have come up with other parameters to go along with RPI.

Another thing with RPi is the unbalanced conf schedule in many leagues. Think how much better the Hogs rpi would have been had they played FLA/KY/TN twice instead of LSU/OM/Mizzu ( although their overall record may have been worse ).

Your argument about not using RPI seems curious. 

It is a measure that all must play by.  If my team schedules teams that turn out not to have good RPI's, that's the luck of the draw.  At least there are metrics behind the ratings. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Rocket23 on March 12, 2018, 12:16:33 pm
St Mary's played no one.  Bennett has been through this before and still didn't beef up non-con schedule.

And now he is crying that no one any good will play them home and home. Well, Coach, take your team on a December road show.

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 12, 2018, 12:52:16 pm
Your argument about not using RPI seems curious. 

It is a measure that all must play by.  If my team schedules teams that turn out not to have good RPI's, that's the luck of the draw.  At least there are metrics behind the ratings. 

I am not saying not to use the RPI. I was responding to your saying to use ONLYY the RPI.

hoglady

The problem with the RPI is the selection committee only uses it when they want to - it meant nothing for Middle Tenn. St - a conference championship team. Slip up in your conference tourney and the team's hard work just goes up in smoke.
Years back a conference champion with a 33 RPI and 23 wins gets in the tournament.
Especially over a Syracuse or Oklahoma.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: hogsanity on March 12, 2018, 12:18:02 pm
I was saying OSU is the team everyone is freaking out over. They lost to Baylor twice KSU twice and TCU twice, enough said right there. USC wasn't any better, they did not beat one team in the top of the PAc12. St Mary's had two wins over q1 or q2 teams. MTSU, never saw them play, only thing I know about them is they were in the top 25 the last few weeks and got dumped in their conf tourney.

People are upset about Okie St.  BECAUSE Oklahoma got in over them.
There's little justification for that. If Oklahoma had been left out (as they should have) - I don't think you'd hear as much complaining about Okie St.

The committee used the RPI to leave out Okie St and then turned around and left out Middle Tenn St. and USC who both had good RPI rankings.
When you use multiple metrics - you can justify any decision you want to make.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality