Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winless in the SEC again?

Started by grim_sleeper, April 17, 2014, 06:48:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

grim_sleeper

Some guest on Bo's show yesterday predicted we were going to go winless again and finish last in the Sec.   I am getting tired of this.  The guy is dead wrong.  There is no way we are going to go winless again.  It's a stupid prediction that has no merit. 

Last year,  we almost won a lot of those games:  We played Texas A&M down to the wire. We played Mississippi St down to overtime. Don't even mention Rutgers. That was an easy win had Brandon Allen stayed in. (nothing against A.J Derby as a person, but he had no business being at quarterback) We played Auburn Good and Ole Miss good, and were one minute away from beating LSU,  and all that was with the team in a mess. 

They will be at least 10 times better coming out of the gate this fall: more practice on Bielema's style,   Brandon Allen not hurt,  a much better defense, and I hear the wide receivers are much better so far.

We aren't going to win the national championship by any means,  but I wouldn't be surprised to see us go to a bowl.  I am just tired of overly negative supposed experts that don't know what they are talking about.

icouldntthinkofagoodname

we had tons of moral victories ly.

rhames

It's very possible we won't win an sec game but I think we will. Too many unknowns and young qbs in the league to say anything definitive.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

razoredge178

Rutgers is in the SEC? Dang I missed that.

kchogfan14

I strongly believe that we will be much improved this year over last year. Whether that improvement will result in victories in the SEC still is in question. Can our secondary actually cover anyone? Can BA make the throws that will not be picked off and returned for pick 6's?

Will CBB strategy of power running football/controlling the line of scrimmage/and controlling the clock work against SEC teams with more talent?

At worst I see us going 2-10 this year, at best I see us at 5-7.

jjdlc

Out of the entire league there is only what, 3 or 4 returning QBs?  I wouldn't feel comfortable betting on anything in the SEC this year.

Hawgzinbowlz

After watching the scrimmages and taking into consideration the teams we play, and their personnel, I am guessing we win 2-3 SEC games.
We will be better on both sides of the ball. Whether it will translate into more wins remains to be seen but this is what the off season is about. Speculation.
6-7 win total and go bowling, which will segue into a better recruiting season.

" GO HOGS "

ifghog

5-7 this year but a much improved team. It will be noticeable. If we make a bowl CBB should be up for SEC Coach of the y-ear.

razoredge178

Quote from: MorrellHog on April 17, 2014, 08:02:14 am
After watching the scrimmages and taking into consideration the teams we play, and their personnel, I am guessing we win 2-3 SEC games.
We will be better on both sides of the ball. Whether it will translate into more wins remains to be seen but this is what the off season is about. Speculation.
6-7 win total and go bowling, which will segue into a better recruiting season.

" GO HOGS "

Yah? Which 2 or 3 SEC teams do you see us beating?

870hogfan

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 17, 2014, 08:13:31 am

I could see us beating Texas AtM, LSU, Ole-Miss and Georgia. Not saying we win all 4 but those are very beatable games.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: razoredge178 on April 17, 2014, 08:13:31 am

Sat, Aug 30   Auburn *  Auburn, Ala.    TBA 

Sat, Sep 27   Texas A&M *  Arlington, Texas    TBA 

Sat, Oct 11   Alabama *  Fayetteville, Ark.    TBA 

Sat, Oct 18   Georgia *  Little Rock, Ark.    TBA 

Sat, Nov 01   Mississippi State *  Starkville, Miss.    TBA 

Sat, Nov 15   LSU *  Fayetteville, Ark.    TBA 

Sat, Nov 22   Ole Miss *  Fayetteville, Ark.    TBA 

Sat, Nov 29   Missouri *  Columbia, Mo.    TBA 

* Conference Games 

Just grab your #2 and start marking. LOL

" GO HOGS "

DeltaBoy

Bama is the only game I am sure we will lose this year.

The GA Dawgs lay at least 2 eggs a year and we are due.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MatCauthon

We will win our first SEC game of the year. So no

go hogues

We have a chance against three SEC teams this year:

A&M - Game is at Jerry World
LSU - Always play them close
MIZZOU - This may be a long year for them
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hog911

Quote from: grim_sleeper on April 17, 2014, 06:48:26 am
Some guest on Bo's show yesterday predicted we were going to go winless again and finish last in the Sec.   I am getting tired of this.  The guy is dead wrong.  There is no way we are going to go winless again.  It's a stupid prediction that has no merit. 

Last year,  we almost won a lot of those games:  We played Texas A&M down to the wire. We played Mississippi St down to overtime. Don't even mention Rutgers. That was an easy win had Brandon Allen stayed in. (nothing against A.J Derby as a person, but he had no business being at quarterback) We played Auburn Good and Ole Miss good, and were one minute away from beating LSU,  and all that was with the team in a mess. 

They will be at least 10 times better coming out of the gate this fall: more practice on Bielema's style,   Brandon Allen not hurt,  a much better defense, and I hear the wide receivers are much better so far.

We aren't going to win the national championship by any means,  but I wouldn't be surprised to see us go to a bowl.  I am just tired of overly negative supposed experts that don't know what they are talking about.

I have a feeling they know exactly what they are talking about. It's great you can still stay positive after 12 straight SEC losses, but unless we have that break through player like a Cam Newton, don't expect too much success this season. More than likely we won't win more than 4 games and 2 or 3 wins is actually more reasonable. However, you are correct we did play better at the end of last season, but we also played better at the end of the season the year before. We lost our last to games to LSU by 7 and 4 points!

JayBell

Unfortunately, the caller has evidence to back up his opinion.  Arkansas almost won a lot of games last season, but moral victories don't show up in the stats.  Even as bad as they were last year, Arkansas could have won 3 or 4 more games, but injuries, blown coverages, mental lapses, bad coaching decisions, etc. cost them multiple wins.

Until Arkansas proves on the field that they can overcome adversity and win a game against an SEC opponent, then the doubt is going to be there.  If they do prove they can win tough games, I could definitely see Arkansas winning 6 or 7 games this season, but no one should act like doubt isn't warranted.

JayBell

Quote from: go hogues on April 17, 2014, 09:27:31 amWe have a chance against three SEC teams this year:

And Arkansas always has tough games against the Mississippi schools.  They also get a down Georgia team in Little Rock.

There's a lot of potential, both good and bad, this year.

HiggiePiggy

This year should have at least 1 win in the sec. If it doesn't then really why continue to wait any longer to fire CBB. There are many teams this year starting new QBs and we play 3 of them at home or on a nutral field. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

JayBell

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 17, 2014, 09:58:23 amThis year should have at least 1 win in the sec. If it doesn't then really why continue to wait any longer to fire CBB. There are many teams this year starting new QBs and we play 3 of them at home or on a nutral field.

Because you don't fire a football coach in any program in year 2 unless there are extraordinary circumstances, especially when the guy is putting together a potential top 10 recruiting class.

MJ2

I can't point to the '14 schedule and see a for sure SEC win coming up.   Conference is too tough and based on what I saw last year, we won't be prepared.

GO

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 17, 2014, 09:58:23 am
This year should have at least 1 win in the sec. If it doesn't then really why continue to wait any longer to fire CBB. There are many teams this year starting new QBs and we play 3 of them at home or on a nutral field. 

I can give you 13 million rea$on$ he won't be fired next year.

Killean

Quote from: MJ2 on April 17, 2014, 10:29:54 am
I can't point to the '14 schedule and see a for sure SEC win coming up.   Conference is too tough and based on what I saw last year, we won't be prepared.

I'm not sure your colon has anything to do with our preparation..

We'll win at least one of the Mississippi games.  We'll beat at least one of A&M, Missouri and LSU. 

Hell, we lost to Auburn last season on the back of 3 turnovers to zero turnovers and that game was in doubt in the fourth quarter.

Every single game is winnable.  I think 2 to 3 SEC wins is likely.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jethro

So the media doesn't say things like
"Tennesee is getting exactly what they deserve."

The things we rail on other schools for are stupid to consider doing. 
Registered in 2003.

Least post per day average on this board.

lumphog

+1 I agree with all this. FrikBo

lumphog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 17, 2014, 09:17:31 am
Bama is the only game I am sure we will lose this year.

The GA Dawgs lay at least 2 eggs a year and we are due.
Yea but, THIS would be a very good year to slap Bama in the mouth

HamIAm

Quote from: go hogues on April 17, 2014, 09:27:31 am
We have a chance against three SEC teams this year:

We have a chance against all of them. 

Hoggish1

Don't let idiots get your goat.

JayBell

Quote from: lumphog on April 17, 2014, 11:04:50 amYea but, THIS would be a very good year to slap Bama in the mouth

As long as Alabama has a roster with semi-pro level talent and a gargantuan mental edge, Arkansas has no chance in that game.

A bunch of missed field goals and the miracle play of all miracle plays are the only reasons why Saban didn't win a third national championship and a fourth in five years.

code red

Quote from: rhames on April 17, 2014, 06:57:38 am
It's very possible we won't win an sec game but I think we will. Too many unknowns and young qbs in the league to say anything definitive.
Agreed.  The key is Brandon.  If he lays a egg in Sept...you better go to the bull pin.  Next year will be a long year regardless.  Before you pile on...ask yourself.  Which teams from the SEC West will not be preseason top 25??  We are the only one.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: lumphog on April 17, 2014, 11:04:50 am
Yea but, THIS would be a very good year to slap Bama in the mouth
You better lay'em out with the first punch...slaps don't phase Bama.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

razorbackkid

We will be better this year, how much better is yet to be seen.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

hoglady

If we go winless in the SEC again - good chance this great recruiting class (so far) falls apart. Can't see it holding together if the recruits don't see an improved team on the field. Really important that we win a few SEC games / do or die time for Coach B most likely.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

lumphog

Quote from: JayBell on April 17, 2014, 11:36:45 am
As long as Alabama has a roster with semi-pro level talent and a gargantuan mental edge, Arkansas has no chance in that game.

A bunch of missed field goals and the miracle play of all miracle plays are the only reasons why Saban didn't win a third national championship and a fourth in five years.
Yep, but you just said . . . Miracles do happen!!! That's what I love about being a Hog fan  ;) We're "due" for a miracle or two.

lumphog

Quote from: hoglady on April 17, 2014, 11:58:01 am
If we go winless in the SEC again - good chance this great recruiting class (so far) falls apart. Can't see it holding together if the recruits don't see an improved team on the field. Really important that we win a few SEC games / do or die time for Coach B most likely.
^^^GOOD POINTS^^^ My Lady

code red

Agreed fair or not fair it will be on CB next year if it happens.

lumphog

Quote from: code red on April 17, 2014, 11:48:37 am
Agreed.  The key is Brandon.  If he lays a egg in Sept...you better go to the bull pin.  Next year will be a long year regardless.  Before you pile on...ask yourself.  Which teams from the SEC West will not be preseason top 25??  We are the only one.
You are spot on, BA is the key, and How many SEC West teams are starting a new QB this year ? We'll be a year ahead of em there, which, IF BA improves like he SHOULD, could be a HUGE advantage for us. Say the others go through what we did last year, where will we be ?

Hawgzinbowlz

It is essential that we go bowling... ergo a minimum of 2 SEC wins.
Year 1. CBB can recruit on his record at Wisconsin.
Year 2. CBB can recruit that "we are rebuilding a dumpster fire".
Year 3. CBB needs to glue together a bowl season or the recruiting will come unglued.

I do like the defensive coaching changes and what I see in the scrimmages.

" GO HOGS "

NaturalStateReb

I don't think Arkansas will go winless again, but I do think they could make significant improvement on the field and make only a small improvement in their record.  It's a brutal schedule.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: GO on April 17, 2014, 10:32:12 am
I can give you 13 million rea$on$ he won't be fired next year.

I never said he would be fired. I said he should be, but to go 0-16 in sec winless back to back years. That would be extremely pathetic. No coach for the razorbacks ever went 0-8 in the sec before last year. To do it back to back would be terrible coaching.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: jethro on April 17, 2014, 10:49:41 am
So the media doesn't say things like
"Tennesee is getting exactly what they deserve."

The things we rail on other schools for are stupid to consider doing. 

I don't care about what the media says.  They said we were fools for running out Nutt also.  People need to stop giving a crap about what media says about our school.  Do you want the media to love us and be a crappy program then that's what we are working on just for you. 

VT HOG

If he goes winless again how much is the buy out? I heard Arkansas hadn't gone winless in conference since the 1940s. That's how historically bad Bielema was last year.

RazorPiggie

You going to pay that $12+mill buyout?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: MJ2 on April 17, 2014, 10:29:54 am

Dear God

RazorPiggie

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 17, 2014, 01:00:29 pm
I never said he would be fired. I said he should be, but to go 0-16 in sec winless back to back years. That would be extremely pathetic. No coach for the razorbacks ever went 0-8 in the sec before last year. To do it back to back would be terrible coaching.

It would be bad yes but no other Arkansas coach has to go against and SEC like we have been seeing the last couple years.

VT HOG

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 17, 2014, 01:25:39 pm
You going to pay that $12+mill buyout?

That's what I was afraid of. Terrible contract created by Jeff Long.

SPAL

Quote from: rhames on April 17, 2014, 06:57:38 am

Very possible is like saying a better than 75% chance. That's ridiculous. The odds that we go winless are far less than winning one measly game.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: VT HOG on April 17, 2014, 01:37:53 pm
That's what I was afraid of. Terrible contract created by Jeff Long.

Will you still think that way in a couple years when we are competitive?

SPAL

Quote from: VT HOG on April 17, 2014, 01:23:08 pm
If he goes winless again how much is the buy out? I heard Arkansashadn't gone winless in conference since the 1940s. That's how historically bad BielemaTHE ARKANSAS PROGRAM was last year.

You either understand it or you have an agenda. You are a fool with an agenda just as plain as the nose on your face.

VT HOG

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 17, 2014, 01:47:15 pm
You either understand it or you have an agenda. You are a fool with an agenda just as plain as the nose on your face.

Hey bro you mad? The facts are facts. #0-8