Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN: "Tennessee Gets What it Deserves"

Started by Pyotr Tchaikhogsky, April 15, 2014, 05:59:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

latrops

I think UT did want this....if they really wanted Martin, they could and would have better supported him prior to the strong finish.   They had to keep him after the postseason run, but neither side was terribly happy about it.  His leaving is probably the best thing for both sides.  Next year is likely to be a down year for the program and all the negativity would return and possibly even be worse.

Breems

That's pretty accurate. They really turned it on at the end of the season , and their fans were still clamoring to get rid of him. They're even worse than Arkansas fans at recognizing a good situation.

Cuonzo did walk into a pretty good situation with McRae and Stokes's brother on campus, and things were definitely going to head downhill next season. I don't blame their fans for questioning Cuonzo, but they should have recognized that he earned more time to prove himself.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

nextlevel

Pelphrey wants to be a HC again, would be a great fit for their program.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Hogarusa

Sad to me that 36,000 adults would go online and sign a petition to have a man, who most have never met, fired from his job. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

nonoffensiveposter

Quote from: lowberh on April 15, 2014, 07:46:07 pm
Sad to me that 36,000 adults would go online and sign a petition to have a man, who most have never met, fired from his job. 

Almost as bad as renting a plane to fly banners at football games to usher the firing of the football coach.

-Blu

Quote from: Breems on April 15, 2014, 07:26:09 pm
They're even worse than Arkansas fans at recognizing a good situation.

Not by much.... You must be forgetting some of the battles we were in this year Breems.  During that 2-6 run, you couldn't hold a decent conversation for anything, and so many people were calling for Coach Anderson's head here and on the radio.  I remember I said  we would finish 10-8 in conference during that stretch (which we did end up doing), and I was told to keep dreaming, when I made that prediction. 

And I can see us maybe going through a similar situation this upcoming year.  We have @Clemson, @SMU, supposedly @Big12challenge, and Coach Anderson has said we're looking to get in a pre-season tournament.  That's potentially 6 very tough games for us right there.  Let's say we have a subpar performance in the OOC with that schedule, I could completely see this fan base pulling a "Tennessee" and overreacting and calling for Coach Anderson to be fired, and some even starting petitions and all that.  So, that's why I'm not even going to laugh at Tennessee for this, because our fans as a whole aren't any better.  We both have a large portion that aren't in tune with reality.

Hawg Red

Arkansas fans aren't much better than Tennessee's fans, but what the boosters pulled with not letting their private planes be used for recruiting (allegedly) is something that our booster's wouldn't have pulled.

Danny J

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2014, 08:14:04 pm
Arkansas fans aren't much better than Tennessee's fans, but what the boosters pulled with not letting their private planes be used for recruiting (allegedly) is something that our booster's wouldn't have pulled.
Yeah...thats pretty shocking. They are probably the ones behind the Pearl petition. I truly hope they get what they deserve.

latrops

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 15, 2014, 08:17:21 pm
Yeah...thats pretty shocking. They are probably the ones behind the Pearl petition. I truly hope they get what they deserve.

Looking at next year's roster, they are getting what they deserve in the short term no matter who takes the job...which is not very desirable right now from a personnel standpoint.  Pearl and Martin were up and comer types....I suspect they go that route again.

Hawg Red

Quote from: latrops on April 15, 2014, 09:02:28 pm
Looking at next year's roster, they are getting what they deserve in the short term no matter who takes the job...which is not very desirable right now from a personnel standpoint.  Pearl and Martin were up and comer types....I suspect they go that route again.

For a coach with thick skin, that's a really good job. Great facilities, major conference, competitive pay. Question is just can you put up with the BS.

I don't think anyone will want to put up with the BS combined with the state the roster has been left in.

nextlevel

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 15, 2014, 09:05:02 pm
For a coach with thick skin, that's a really good job. Great facilities, major conference, competitive pay. Question is just can you put up with the BS.

I don't think anyone will want to put up with the BS combined with the state the roster has been left in.

Great Facilities means nothing if you have people around the program actively working against you.

Being in a "major conference" in basketball is over-rated, there are better jobs in the A10, Big East, and MWC than many "major conferences"...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

uncle bubs

Quote from: nonoffensiveposter on April 15, 2014, 07:53:17 pm
Almost as bad as renting a plane to fly banners at football games to usher the firing of the football coach.
Ding ding ding!
God bless the Boston Mountains.

dhornjr1

Quote from: nextlevel on April 15, 2014, 07:37:03 pm

That would be great.

Then after he's fired in three or four years and leaves their program in shambles, Billy Donovan can go all scorched earth on them.

Jackrabbit Hog

What I'm wondering is when UT began to care enough about basketball (men's, not women's) to bother to try to run a coach off.  Face it, UT men's basketball has no real history.  Never been to a Final Four.  Very few conference titles.  Oh, they've had great individual players over the years like Bernard King, Dale Ellis, etc., but they've never had truly memorable teams.  Much like Auburn, Georgia and Alabama, they were the epitome of the SEC school that cared about only football.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: nextlevel on April 15, 2014, 07:37:03 pm

Co-sign.

WilsonHog

You know what really stuck out to me in this whole thing? The Tennessee players' comments. They were all but defending Cuonzo leaving.

Never seen that before.

HawgAdvocate

Little Richard bringing his show to Knoxville?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 16, 2014, 04:25:59 pm
Little Richard bringing his show to Knoxville?

Sat right behind his team's bench when he coached at the Sun Belt Conference tourney in Hot Springs and he sounded like a good coach at least during that game. Not sure how good of a coach he is overall but he has a good (but brief) record so far. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

swinesation

That woman can write.

Read the comment thread - most of the Tennessee fans are still acting like *ssholes.

ifghog

He is a decent coach...we will see if TN gets a better one....I have my doubts.

TT222

If I was a Tennessee fan, I wouldn't even be mad. The fact that they were a bubble team that got into a play-in game for an 11 seed is kind of weak. That roster was pretty stacked with one of the best front court duo's in the nation. Not to mention Jordan Mcrae one of the top scorer's in the SEC for the past 2 years. Honestly, a sweet 16 wasn't really overachieving with that amount of talent.

husker71

UTs all time best 5 Boerwinkle, King, Grunfield, Houston, Ellis or Tony White   just for fun

dhornjr1

Quote from: husker71 on April 16, 2014, 08:50:48 pm
UTs all time best 5 Boerwinkle, King, Grunfield, Houston, Ellis or Tony White   just for fun

Few people probably remember that William Mills began his collegiate career at Tennessee.

latrops

Quote from: TT222 on April 16, 2014, 06:11:30 pm
If I was a Tennessee fan, I wouldn't even be mad. The fact that they were a bubble team that got into a play-in game for an 11 seed is kind of weak. That roster was pretty stacked with one of the best front court duo's in the nation. Not to mention Jordan Mcrae one of the top scorer's in the SEC for the past 2 years. Honestly, a sweet 16 wasn't really overachieving with that amount of talent.

Exactly. He did just enough to keep his job.  He barely got this team to where most felt it should be....nevermind that the best players on the team were all inherited from Pearl.  UT fans feel fortunate that he left, rather than having to sit through another year or two waiting on the inevitable, believing Martin to be mediocre at best.

hoglady

Quote from: TT222 on April 16, 2014, 06:11:30 pm

Well it wasn't Tennessee or Martin's fault the NCAA selection committee did such a horrible job of seeding the tourney this year. The SEC as a whole got no respect. Kentucky a #8 seed / Tenn. a play in game - should never have happened. Tennessee was only on the bubble due to the SEC bias. Don't see how all that can be held against Martin.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Smithian

Quote from: -Blu on April 15, 2014, 08:12:19 pm
Not by much.... You must be forgetting some of the battles we were in this year Breems.  During that 2-6 run, you couldn't hold a decent conversation for anything, and so many people were calling for Coach Anderson's head here and on the radio.  I remember I said  we would finish 10-8 in conference during that stretch (which we did end up doing), and I was told to keep dreaming, when I made that prediction. 

And I can see us maybe going through a similar situation this upcoming year.  We have @Clemson, @SMU, supposedly @Big12challenge, and Coach Anderson has said we're looking to get in a pre-season tournament.  That's potentially 6 very tough games for us right there.  Let's say we have a subpar performance in the OOC with that schedule, I could completely see this fan base pulling a "Tennessee" and overreacting and calling for Coach Anderson to be fired, and some even starting petitions and all that.  So, that's why I'm not even going to laugh at Tennessee for this, because our fans as a whole aren't any better.  We both have a large portion that aren't in tune with reality.
Don't listen to radio, but I missed many of these people on Jump Ball. A whole load of people were furious at 2-6 but most agreed that Anderson was safe until year 4 or 5.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Smithian on April 17, 2014, 09:34:11 am
Don't listen to radio, but I missed many of these people on Jump Ball. A whole load of people were furious at 2-6 but most agreed that Anderson was safe until year 4 or 5.

-Blu simply makes it up as he goes...in his post above he was indeed told to "keep dreaming" after he predicted a 11-7 SEC finish (and not the 10-8 actual record he now claims he predicted) AND that we'd still make the Big Dance based on his 23 win prediction and because the SEC is a 'power conference.'

Quote from: -Blu on January 11, 2014, 03:59:36 pm
Ok, I'm looking at the remainder of the schedule.  This is my prediction based on what I've seen so far.... Is this not good enough to make the tourney?

Kentucy - W
@Georgia - W
@Tenn - L
Auburn - W
Missouri - W
@LSU - L
Alabama - W
@Vanderbilt - W
@Missouri - L
LSU - W
South Carolina -W
@Miss - W
@Kentucky - L
Georgia - W
Ole Miss - W
@Alabama - L

11-7 Conference Record 11-2 Non-Conference.  22-9 going into SEC Tournament.  First round bye in SEC Tournament.  Win second round game, lose in Semis.  23-10 going into selection Sunday.

I highly doubt an SEC team with 23 wins gets left out, and never been done before.

Key wins: Minnesota, SMU, Kentucky, Missouri, LSU, Alabama
Bad Losses: Texas A&M

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2014, 04:00:35 pm
Keep dreaming.

Quote from: -Blu on January 11, 2014, 04:09:19 pm
LOL 11-7 is dreaming?

Yep, it was.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

DeltaBoy

Tennier been in free fall every since Phat Phil left.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jesterzzn

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 17, 2014, 10:07:38 am
Yep, it was.
I was about to ask if you are being serious, but then I saw who it was posting this.  Nevermind.

HouseOfHam

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 17, 2014, 10:07:38 am
Yep, it was.
So he was off the total wins by 1 game? You seem a bit full of your self mate.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HouseOfHam on April 17, 2014, 01:10:06 pm
So he was off the total wins by 1 game? You seem a bit full of your self mate.

23 wins, bye in the first round of the SECT, making the Big Dance? Forest through the trees?

No sense in pounding one's chest three months later about being correct when you clearly were not.

hogsanity

Quote from: Tom Bennett on April 16, 2014, 04:06:16 pm
You know what really stuck out to me in this whole thing? The Tennessee players' comments. They were all but defending Cuonzo leaving.

Never seen that before.

Be funny if 3 or 4 of them transfer out, and leave them with nothing. Wonder who the fans want as coach?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TMc

Quote from: lowberh on April 15, 2014, 07:46:07 pm

The high stakes of winning and bragging rights, have made fans lose their minds lately.  It seems to get worse with each passing year.

Paul

Quote from: latrops on April 15, 2014, 07:24:14 pm
I think UT did want this....if they really wanted Martin, they could and would have better supported him prior to the strong finish.   They had to keep him after the postseason run, but neither side was terribly happy about it.  His leaving is probably the best thing for both sides.  Next year is likely to be a down year for the program and all the negativity would return and possibly even be worse.
that's not what I'm hearing from my Vol friends, one of which is on the Board of Trustees.  This makes them look very bad.