Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No SECT Title = no Big Dance this season

Started by HawgAdvocate, January 11, 2014, 03:47:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

January 11, 2014, 03:47:02 pm Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:57:46 pm by HawgAdvocate
We've squandered too many resume building games this season. Our non-conference schedule wasn't strong enough to begin with, and losing at home to Florida (minus their leading scorer) was pretty much the final straw.

There just aren't enough realistic resume-building wins left on the schedule to save face for a Big Dance bid.

NIT or bust.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

CDBHawg

I agree.

I believe you tried to tell everyone that months ago that the NIT should be expected, not the NCAAT.

Maybe next year.

Young Swine Life

We don't play fla again or Kentucky twice?

HawgAdvocate

Not Florida again, but we do play UK twice.

No way we win at UK.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

devildoghawg

NIT ain't happening either, sorry.  This team is too mentally weak to rebound from this.  They have weak character because mike rewards them with milk and cookies when they lose.  Nolan would have started the free throw suicides the second the game ended with this team...wait no he wouldn't have because Nolan wouldn't have lost this game.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

z1on

Ehhh we can still make it. But they're going to have to win the rest of the home games and beat some good teams on the road (UK, Mizzou, LSU) probably at least 2. Then win on the road against the horrible teams. It's a long shot, but possible.   

hawginbigd1

MA does not command respect from his players so he can't teach them to play smart, still can't get players to not leave shooters. They won't make it to the tourney because they are not coached well enough period.

Please. The non conference record is very good.

-Blu

Ok, I'm looking at the remainder of the schedule.  This is my prediction based on what I've seen so far.... Is this not good enough to make the tourney?

Kentucy - W
@Georgia - W
@Tenn - L
Auburn - W
Missouri - W
@LSU - L
Alabama - W
@Vanderbilt - W
@Missouri - L
LSU - W
South Carolina -W
@Miss - W
@Kentucky - L
Georgia - W
Ole Miss - W
@Alabama - L

11-7 Conference Record 11-2 Non-Conference.  22-9 going into SEC Tournament.  First round bye in SEC Tournament.  Win second round game, lose in Semis.  23-10 going into selection Sunday.

I highly doubt an SEC team with 23 wins gets left out, and never been done before.

Key wins: Minnesota, SMU, Kentucky, Missouri, LSU, Alabama
Bad Losses: Texas A&M

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: 79010 on January 11, 2014, 03:58:42 pm
Please. The non conference record is very good.

As of last week ESPN had it ranked 263rd.

Today it's 229th.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on January 11, 2014, 03:59:36 pm
Ok, I'm looking at the remainder of the schedule.  This is my prediction based on what I've seen so far.... Is this not good enough to make the tourney?

Keep dreaming.

CDBHawg

Kentucy - W
@Georgia - W
@Tenn - L
Auburn - W
Missouri - W
@LSU - L
Alabama - W
@Vanderbilt - W
@Missouri - L
LSU - W
South Carolina -W
@Miss - W
@Kentucky - L
Georgia - W
Ole Miss - W
@Alabama - L

11-7 Conference Record 11-2 Non-Conference.  22-9 going into SEC Tournament.  First round bye in SEC Tournament.  Win second round game, lose in Semis.  23-10 going into selection Sunday.

I highly doubt an SEC team with 23 wins gets left out, and never been done before.

I could see those games going the other way.

They are the season in my opinion.

Porkem

Kentucy - W
@Georgia - W
@Tenn - L
Auburn - W
Missouri - W
@LSU - L
Alabama - W
@Vanderbilt - W
@Missouri - L
LSU - W
South Carolina -W
@Miss - W
@Kentucky - L
Georgia - W
Ole Miss - W
@Alabama - L

We have to finish no worse than a tie for fourth to have a chance. A 11-7 record in the SEC and a couple of wins in the SECT might be good enough.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Young Swine Life

Well just like the coach said; its a process...and some poeple here just cant see the forest for the trees.

-Blu

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2014, 04:00:35 pm
Keep dreaming.

LOL 11-7 is dreaming?  Trust me my standards are much higher in life.  Don't know about you.  We were 1 free throw being made from being 1-1 today.  And we will probably be favored going into the Kentucky game, based on it being in Bud Walton. 

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Arkansas.html

There's a site that tends to agree with my prediction.  Those formulas they use must be "dreaming" as well.

Young Swine Life

And our non-conference record should be null as far as the tournament is concerned.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on January 11, 2014, 04:09:19 pm
LOL 11-7 is dreaming?  Trust me my standards are much higher in life.  Don't know about you.  We were 1 free throw being made from being 1-1 today.  And we will probably be favored going into the Kentucky game, based on it being in Bud Walton. 

There's a site that tends to agree with my prediction.  Those formulas they use must be "dreaming" as well.

Lunardi's updated bracketology has us out of the Dance after today.

Your link was last updated YESTERDAY.

We've been on the bubble the past couple weeks. Without enough resume-building wins to give us favor over other bubble teams, we're NIT bound.

CDBHawg

Quote from: -Blu on January 11, 2014, 04:09:19 pm

You may be right, but saying we'll beat them is based on what the other teams are, not what we've done.

We haven't beat anybody yet.

Yeah, we were a free throw away from beating Florida(without their best player) at home. That's nothing to write home about.

Here's to dreaming/hoping. It's all we have at the moment.

3kgthog

Quote from: lbroby on January 11, 2014, 04:09:14 pm
Well just like the coach said; its a process...and some poeple here just cant see the forest for the trees.

A three year process? Other coaches have turned around programs much worse and in much less time.

Kevin

Quote from: lbroby on January 11, 2014, 04:09:14 pm

we are three years into the process.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

-Blu

Quote from: Porkem on January 11, 2014, 04:07:15 pm
We have to finish no worse than a tie for fourth to have a chance. A 11-7 record in the SEC and a couple of wins in the SECT might be good enough.

It doesn't matter where you finish in the SEC ranking, Missouri finished like 6th and was 1 of the 3 teams that made tourney last year.  Like I said these next 2 games are MUST WINS.  You beat Kentucky at home, then beat Georgia on the road, your back in the mix.  Because after we should win the next 3 of 5, then the schedule softens up for us a little bit and we'll have chances to get wins against LSU, Missouri,  Ole Miss, Alabama, etc.

CDBHawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 11, 2014, 04:12:42 pm
A three year process? Other coaches have turned around programs much worse and in much less time.

Who?

Young Swine Life

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2014, 03:51:05 pm
Not Florida again, but we do play UK twice.

No way we win at UK.

I can understand that but you dont think that we can split two games with UK and maybe steal one or two on the road? Seems like the same situation as last year to me.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on January 11, 2014, 04:13:19 pm
It doesn't matter where you finish in the SEC ranking, Missouri finished like 6th and was 1 of the 3 teams that made tourney last year.

Mizzou was 5th.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: lbroby on January 11, 2014, 04:15:10 pm
I can understand that but you dont think that we can split two games with UK and maybe steal one or two on the road? Seems like the same situation as last year to me.

Because we have no true non-con road games on our schedule, we need 4+ conference road wins on top of some top 50 wins to get a spot.

We can certainly be on the bubble, but we're on the wrong side of it and there's not a lot that says we'll suddenly build our resume from here on out.

Sivad

Young Swine Life

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 11, 2014, 04:12:42 pm
Quote from: CDBHawg on January 11, 2014, 04:14:19 pm
Who?

THANK YOU!  Then maybe we can discuss.

-Blu

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2014, 04:10:41 pm
Lunardi's updated bracketology has us out of the Dance after today.

Your link was last updated YESTERDAY.

We've been on the bubble the past couple weeks. Without enough resume-building wins to give us favor over other bubble teams, we're NIT bound.

Plenty of Resume building games left on the schedule.  I'm not going to argue with you about determining a team's tournament fate 2 games into conference, a POWER Conference at that.  If this was the sunbelt you may have a point, but this is conference that was projected a week ago to have 6 tournament teams, there's plenty of opportunities to bounce back. That's a losers mentality you have and I hope nobody on our coaching staff or team has the same thought process as you.  What's funny to me is, we haven't seen you all non-conference season, then soon as we get a couple of losses your all over the boards, what a huge hater you are. I thought you had found something else to do your life.

Don't bother responding because your now back on ignore.  And it's staying that way.

Oliver

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2014, 03:47:02 pm
We've squandered too many resume building games this season. Our non-conference schedule wasn't strong enough to begin with, and losing at home to Florida (minus their leading scorer) was pretty much the final straw.

There just aren't enough realistic resume-building wins left on the schedule to save face for a Big Dance bid.

NIT or bust.

NIT will be a stretch.  We suck on the road and aren't good enough to win the tough ones at home.  This season is a waste

CDBHawg

Quote from: lbroby on January 11, 2014, 04:21:19 pm
THANK YOU!  Then maybe we can discuss.

He must be  googling, he hasn't responded yet.

Uberanubis

Quote from: CDBHawg on January 11, 2014, 03:49:08 pm
I agree.

I believe you tried to tell everyone that months ago that the NIT should be expected, not the NCAAT.

Maybe next year.

probably wont make the nit either, we are going to have to win on the road and with this young team it wont happen.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on January 11, 2014, 04:21:57 pm
Plenty of Resume building games left on the schedule.  I'm not going to argue with you about determining a team's tournament fate 2 games into conference, a POWER Conference at that. 

LOL a "POWER conference" that got just THREE teams in last season.

You need to stop getting personal and attacking other posters just because they use reason and fact to disagree/dispute your posts. It got old months ago.

Young Swine Life

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2014, 04:17:53 pm
Because we have no true non-con road games on our schedule, we need 4+ conference road wins on top of some top 50 wins to get a spot.

We can certainly be on the bubble, but we're on the wrong side of it and there's not a lot that says we'll suddenly build our resume from here on out.

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2014, 04:17:53 pm

I see...but from the looks of it (even though we gave a game away today) I dont think we are on the wrong side yet.  If we lose next week then, yes, but not yet.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Oliver on January 11, 2014, 04:22:41 pm
NIT will be a stretch.  We suck on the road and aren't good enough to win the tough ones at home.  This season is a waste

I do think it is/has been a waste thus far, but I felt that as soon as I saw the non-con schedule. Crazier things have happened (2001!), but this season should be a return to the NIT.

Young Swine Life

Quote from: CDBHawg on January 11, 2014, 04:23:47 pm
He must be  googling, he hasn't responded yet.

Right...didnt watch the game. lol. ;)

Uberanubis

Quote from: -Blu on January 11, 2014, 04:21:57 pm
Plenty of Resume building games left on the schedule.  I'm not going to argue with you about determining a team's tournament fate 2 games into conference, a POWER Conference at that.  If this was the sunbelt you may have a point, but this is conference that was projected a week ago to have 6 tournament teams, there's plenty of opportunities to bounce back. That's a losers mentality you have and I hope nobody on our coaching staff or team has the same thought process as you.  What's funny to me is, we haven't seen you all non-conference season, then soon as we get a couple of losses your all over the boards, what a huge hater you are. I thought you had found something else to do your life.

Don't bother responding because your now back on ignore.  And it's staying that way.

hogs have not shown that they can play with "quality teams" and win. plus as with all years we will fade at the end and everyone will cry for mikes head. Jump Ball will be a cesspool very shortly.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: lbroby on January 11, 2014, 04:25:19 pm
I see...but from the looks of it (even though we gave a game away today) I dont think we are on the wrong side yet.  If we lose next week then, yes, but not yet.

Certainly. Arkansas could theoreticlly win every conference game from here on out, and/or win the SECT, and certainly make a miracle out of this season.

I just don't see us winning against the dribble-drive and UK's size.

Nipsey Mussle

Kentucy - W L
@Georgia - W L
@Tenn - L
Auburn - W
Missouri - W
@LSU - L
Alabama - W
@Vanderbilt - W L
@Missouri - L
LSU - W
South Carolina -W
@Miss - W L
@Kentucky - L
Georgia - W
Ole Miss - W
@Alabama - L

I respect ya and your optimism Blu but we aren't winning at Ole Miss in this lifetime. I see us going 7-11.

Hogs haven't won an SEC game in basketball or football since March 9, 2013. We can't lose any more games at home b/c that really puts us behind the 8 ball. I called my LSU friend and asked him today how it feels to win on the road. I bet it is glorious as all hell.

Could one of my frickin teams besides the Heat be a winner?!? Hogs, Cubs, Cowboys...someone win a game, please!

yraciv

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2014, 03:59:56 pm
As of last week ESPN had it ranked 263rd.

Today it's 229th.

It will keep going up. Clemson and Minnesota playing well. We're 2 games into the SEC, and I only see one sure loss left on the schedule. Yes we'll have to play near perfect, but we can drop 4 or 5 more and probably make it. Way too early!

CDBHawg

Quote from: BBsTheMan on January 11, 2014, 04:28:23 pm
I respect ya and your optimism Blu but we aren't winning at Ole Miss in this lifetime. I see us going 7-11.

Hogs haven't won an SEC game in basketball or football since March 9, 2013. We can't lose any more games at home b/c that really puts us behind the 8 ball. I called my LSU friend and asked him today how it feels to win on the road. I bet it is glorious as all hell.

Could one of my frickin teams besides the Heat be a winner?!? Hogs, Cubs, Cowboys...someone win a game, please!

I feel your pain...

Hogs, Bills, Rangers, Magic.

I do pull for Lebron though, besides when he's playing Orlando.

Oliver

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2014, 04:26:18 pm
I do think it is/has been a waste thus far, but I felt that as soon as I saw the non-con schedule. Crazier things have happened (2001!), but this season should be a return to the NIT.

I'm angry about today but really shouldn't be.  It's Florida.  They are a better team than us.  But it's our continuing putrid performances on the road that make games like today MUST WINS. 

We could have played a tougher non-conference and I don't think anything would be different.  But I agree we should play a tougher non-conference

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Oliver on January 11, 2014, 04:31:17 pm
I'm angry about today but really shouldn't be.  It's Florida.  They are a better team than us.  But it's our continuing putrid performances on the road that make games like today MUST WINS. 

We could have played a tougher non-conference and I don't think anything would be different.  But I agree we should play a tougher non-conference

We certainly should have won today. At home, against a team missing it's top scorer, coupled with two starters with injuries that kept them out of the starting lineup.

This was a ready-made 'dubya.' We didn't capitalize.

arkansasstory

We lost to the Gags, enough said. We must beat teams like Florida to make up for that loss. No excuses, beat some good teams and win games on the road, stop making excuses.

Young Swine Life

Quote from: BBsTheMan on January 11, 2014, 04:28:23 pm

Man its looking bad for Lebron.

Oliver

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2014, 04:32:31 pm
We certainly should have won today. At home, against a team missing it's top scorer, coupled with two starters with injuries that kept them out of the starting lineup.

Agreed.  But nothing like losing by 16 to a horrible Aggies team

Young Swine Life

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 11, 2014, 04:32:31 pm

Thats part of the process.  Its the first time that this team has been in this situation. Now we have to see how we respond to the loss today.  At least they didnt give up like the past.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Oliver on January 11, 2014, 04:31:17 pm

Agreed. A win at aTm and the same result today and we are still thinking NCAAT and vast improvement.

Young Swine Life

Adam Stokes

NIT or bust.

That logic basically comes down to us having to have beaten Florida or we wouldn't make the tournament, which I don't buy.  The final straw wasn't Florida in the least.  We still have 10 top-100 games in our next 16 games.  While only three are Top 50, Minnesota will finish top 50, SMU will be right there, California will likely be top 50, after Clemson beating Duke today they will also be knocking on the top 50.  That right there is three bubble teams we've beaten that they won't put ahead of us at the end of the year if we are also on the bubble.  That doesn't count SEC bubble teams that we have yet to play.

We have played and will play enough quality competition.  It mainly comes down to the Kentucky games.  We need to at least split them and get one road win against either Tennessee, Alabama, or LSU.  I don't think 11-7 will cut it (unless we make some noise in the SECT,) but at 12-6 our RPI will be high enough to put us on the right side of the bubble. 

Obviously no guarantees that we will even get to 12-6, but today's loss in no way sealed out fate.  Our SOS will still be good enough and top 90 (especially with how much help we got today SOS wise,) it will just come down to whether we can win the right amount of games.

Smithian

NIT or bust.
I disagree but I'm probably too optimistic. It is a long season.