Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

our Pep teams just don't get it

Started by outlawhogeywells, December 21, 2008, 10:35:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

outlawhogeywells

last night at the game the hogs were on a roll, the other team had to call a time out to stop the bleeding.  the crowd was really loud and the place was ready to explode.  Time out happens the crowd is yelling and the pep squads and the band don't have a clue.  there was hesitation on what to do ( the obvious was to call the hogs or the william tell) but no, they hesitate and then play some lame song that took the air out of the building.......It was so obvious.  it is like they have to play certain songs at certain times, scripted.  they don't have a feel for the game and what is happening. 

kgr

What have we learned in 2,064 years?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
work,  instead of living on public assistance."
                                                               -
Cicero   - 55 BC

So,   evidently nothing.

31to6

I noticed that too... they were playing Journey....

Journey......

Some lame whiney song about breaking up is really what you want to play to get BWA rocking?

Table Rocker

a band thread: must be the day after a razorback sporting event.....

3kgthog

Most of the stuff at BWA is scripted so the band probably is too.

Oklahawg

Robken would simply do what needed to be done. T'hell with the script.

That's the difference.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hogbody

It is all scripted.  I've sat right behind the cheer coach(can't remember her name) and she has a list of the songs and at what time they are played.

southeasthog

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 21, 2008, 11:36:00 am

That's the difference.
If you weren't standing then he would run over to get you up. I miss him and the noise meter.

CORZRBACKFAN

I thought the exact same thing-the Hog Call would have turned BWA into a raucous madhouse during that timeout. It sucks to say it, but the band is very unimpressive now. They used to be much, much better.
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

Clint Alan

Its sad, really.......

The band is sad.......even more sad though, is the 10k empty seats in the Bud........
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

LLPL

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on December 21, 2008, 10:35:23 am
last night at the game the hogs were on a roll, the other team had to call a time out to stop the bleeding.  the crowd was really loud and the place was ready to explode.  Time out happens the crowd is yelling and the pep squads and the band don't have a clue.  there was hesitation on what to do ( the obvious was to call the hogs or the william tell) but no, they hesitate and then play some lame song that took the air out of the building.......It was so obvious.  it is like they have to play certain songs at certain times, scripted.  they don't have a feel for the game and what is happening. 

I knew the band had lost its true mission when they added a guitarist.

Pig_Daddy_Cool

Quote from: kgr on December 21, 2008, 10:46:37 am
Where is Jim Robkin when needed?

Quick, someone find his arse and bring him back!

Pig_Daddy_Cool

Quote from: LLPL on December 21, 2008, 12:25:49 pm
I knew the band had lost its true mission when they added a guitarist.

Nah, that is just when you teach him to play Thunderstruck during timeouts

DMACStillRunnin

I know, it was retarded. Some of us were about to call the Hogs... and then that idiot band director and his retarded dueling guitars fired up some dumb song that has nothing to do with the Razorbacks and totally ruined the moment.

The guitarists are retarded, as is the idea of blasting the student section at close range by playing the fight song. It's not Razorback, and it's dumb. Fire the band director.

Also the new student section is really weird and it's lost some of it's ambience and fire that it had last year. All gone, with the stupid new design.
Mark Ingram winning the Heisman truly confirms how much of a sham it was for Darren McFadden to be jobbed two years in a row.

Dances With Hogs

The football games are just as bad, our band needs some leadership and new song, oh say like other schools, why is it we always have to sound like someone from 1950.
Quote from: wdremington on December 21, 2008, 11:09:37 am
I noticed that too... they were playing Journey....

Journey......

Some lame whiney song about breaking up is really what you want to play to get BWA rocking?

clew

I looked at my buddy and said, "I can't believe we didn't just call the Hogs!" and he just shook his head.  I will say that at one point we did do the hog call and it was the most absolute pathetic I have EVER heard it.  This was my first trip back to BWA since 1998 and I had heard how bad it was, but it didn't hit home until last night.  Holy crap.  Good game, Hogs.  TERRIBLE crowd, hog fans. 

We were the loud ones cutting up down at the front of section 101--a couple of pitchers of Fat Tire helped keep us warmed up 8-)  I'm sure everyone around us was annoyed.  Need some new signs for the student section, too.  I bet those are the same pieces of plastic they used for the visiting team intros when I was there so long ago.  Hopefully, it will get better soon.
Pure as the dawn

amiley

Quote from: CORZRBACKFAN on December 21, 2008, 12:06:58 pm
It sucks to say it, but the band is very unimpressive now. They used to be much, much better.
agreed.

razorbrass

Students are gone.  Probably a makeshift band of alums, area high school students and band members who live locally.  I'd cut them some slack over the break.  The atmosphere at all college games will continue to deteriorate as long as athletic department marketers are in charge.  Add TV timeouts that are 3 minutes long and it is difficult to keep the crowd engaged.  Chalk it up to the almighty dollar.  While Madoff (interesting name since he Made Off with everyone else's money) steals our money the marketers and television stations are stealing the atmosphere at games to pay off the fine facilities you enjoy and the coaches salaries.  My personal opinion is we turn the bud into a wal-mart and go back to playing games at Barnhill.  I promise the atmosphere would get better overnight in spite of the marketers.  I remember running across campus to an undisclosed location to get my student basketball tickets.  Now you can get into any game.  Where's the excitement in that?
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

ballhog™

Being scripted is the problem...I guess it takes to much thinking to go with what seems appropriate at that point in the game.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

OTTER

I do wish that someone would jerk a knot in the combined arses of the band and cheerleaders(or what ever they are) directors and let them know how to make that place rock.  A basketball arena is NO place for a scripted "show".  Get with it or get out the door!!!!!
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

SRFL

Journey?  I can't think of a better song selection than some Journey hits.

Was it Mother, Father?  Little Girl?  Natural Thing? 

Those would bring tha hizzie down!

TebowHater

I didnt take the time to read all the posts so sorry if double posted...
But that was actually highschoolers filling in because too many real band members were home for the holidays.  Fayetteville High School made up half of that band last night so I assume they were limited on what they could do/play, but agreed as far as the cheerleaders.

outlawhogeywells

that is why the cheerleaders should have rushed the floor and started calling the hogs

EastTexasHog

The Hog fans need to take charge and dominate the atmosphere just like we want the team to dominate the game.  The script would then be useless and maybe the atmosphere would be restored to its proper level of chaos.

Oklahawg

Quote from: razorbrass on December 21, 2008, 02:09:36 pm
Students are gone.  Probably a makeshift band of alums, area high school students and band members who live locally.  I'd cut them some slack over the break.  The atmosphere at all college games will continue to deteriorate as long as athletic department marketers are in charge.  Add TV timeouts that are 3 minutes long and it is difficult to keep the crowd engaged.  Chalk it up to the almighty dollar.  While Madoff (interesting name since he Made Off with everyone else's money) steals our money the marketers and television stations are stealing the atmosphere at games to pay off the fine facilities you enjoy and the coaches salaries.  My personal opinion is we turn the bud into a wal-mart and go back to playing games at Barnhill.  I promise the atmosphere would get better overnight in spite of the marketers.  I remember running across campus to an undisclosed location to get my student basketball tickets.  Now you can get into any game.  Where's the excitement in that?

3-minute TOs Don't keep other schools from keeping the mood going. Ah, fall 1983 - the great ticket escapade. It was like they announced on the radio, "hookers giving free hummers at the fountain by the Student Union...if you get there in the next 3 minutes!"
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

deshahawg

I wish we worried as much about the actual team as we do about the band. We'd have super fans everywhere.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 21, 2008, 11:36:00 am

That's the difference.

He would time his William Tell Overture run perfectly. And I remember a few games we heard it multiple times. Robken was a weapon.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

arkjay19

Quote from: rubmyHOG on December 21, 2008, 12:19:43 pm
Its sad, really.......

The band is sad.......even more sad though, is the 10k empty seats in the Bud........

Bad economy, young mediocre team, and a lowly opponent.  It may be sad, but it is very very understandable.

LLPL

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 21, 2008, 06:47:47 pm
3-minute TOs Don't keep other schools from keeping the mood going. Ah, fall 1983 - the great ticket escapade. It was like they announced on the radio, "hookers giving free hummers at the fountain by the Student Union...if you get there in the next 3 minutes!"

Not to rationalize our current situation but Barnhill held 9,000 people so supply and demand was a different situation back then.

kitarae

Quote from: razorbrass on December 21, 2008, 02:09:36 pm

Nailed it right on the head with the first two sentences.

and I laugh at you people.

If you're that disgruntled over what the band does, please, write Pratchard an e-mail and share your feelings.

But wait, you might have to give up the anonymity that you enjoy too much to do that.

Nevermind, bad idea.

Hogchick

Jean Nail...that is who leads the spirit squads and I have to say she needs to move into the 21st century.

31to6

Quote from: SRFL on December 21, 2008, 04:20:16 pm
Journey?  I can't think of a better song selection than some Journey hits.
Separate franking Ways.

31to6

Quote from: kitarae on December 22, 2008, 03:58:06 am

But wait, you might have to give up the anonymity that you enjoy too much to do that.

Anonymity?

Hogs07

IMO, it's JUST the band, cheerleaders, and the students that are there that have a "feel for the game".  Example, who does any kind of cheer (or anything for that matter) when the opposing team is at the FT line??  The band.  They've started a simple cheer that would be easy for the entire crowd to do but does the majority of the crowd join in? No. 

I've been to most of the games so far this year and at every game, the band, cheerleaders, or the guys that sit in the front part of the student section start some kind of cheer or get loud on almost every offensive possession of the opposing team.  Does the crowd join in?  Nope. 

It's takes an amazing play by our Hogs or us needing a big stop on defense to get our crowd really going, and until that changes, Bud Walton isn't going to be the place that people want it to be. 

So I don't see how it's our "pep teams" that don't get it when they are trying to be enthusiastic.  If we as fans would join in with even half of what those guys are doing, The Bud would be a much more formidable place for opposing teams. 

Until we quit griping about what is played during a :30 timeout when our team is practically dominating and start cheering for the entire game, Bud Walton is not going to be the arena that everyone wants it to be.  GO HOGS! 

HogCzar1

This is one of the more important threads that I have seen in a while here. A number of good points have been raised. I would like to add a few points of my own.
  With respect to Bud Walton Arena, there is no question that the quality and importance of our spirit groups have diminished since we left Barnhill Arena, pure and simple. Part of it is the loss of a unique talent like Jim Robken, but not all of it. It is time for leadership from Jeff Long and John Pelphrey on this issue.
  We need to focus on what has worked in the past to make us the best atmosphere for college basketball anywhere. They include a band director for basketball with a knowledge of the game, a sense of timing on when emotions are up and down, a band that sounds kick***, and a renewed education on what the hog call is, how it is and is not done, and more importantly when to do it. That is what makes us unique. It is part of our brand identity. To ignore, or minimize it, is a lost opportunity that cheats Razorback history.
  Certainly a major problem is that you can predict what is about to happen before it does at games. Cheers, songs, chants, etc. at certain times are now as routine as the national anthem. OK, many of us recognize the problem, so what is the solution? Some suggestions:
  1. It is time for Jeff Long and John Pelphrey to lead on this. Eddie Sutton had a vision of what it would take to make Barnhill Arena unique. A plan was laid out there. John Pelphrey knows what good looks like. He knows that Bud Walton is not what it needs to be. Yes, part of it is the team, but it is time for these guys to provide a vision for what would help return the aura to Bud Walton. He needs to come out and say to the fans: I want to return to the time when this place was THE most feared in America..Here is how we do it...
  2. We need to do a MUCH better job, and make it an A1 priority to recruit a group of the best looking young women on campus who can dance. I have in mind our version of the Dallas Maverick Dancers. It is pure baloney that this cannot be done. Yes, it is past time for a change in spirit group leadership. The cheerleaders need to make it more of a priority to lead on the Hog Calls, as well as to help create some unique things...keep the fans guessing what is coming.
3. I am not one who would like to see us change to more of an NBA format, but some occasional music would be helpful. Someone who knows the right time to play the right time of up tempo music that fuels the energy of the fans and players alike. This should NOT replace the band, but accent it.
4. It is time for a new and unique intro for the players before the game. I would be in favor of a more NBA approach to this. Never has there been a more compelling intro than to hear the Chicago Bulls announcer Ray Clay announce the starting lineups of the Bulls after a rendition of the Eye in the Sky intro. We need something unique like that.
5. There are many ideas and suggestions available. It is WAY past time to improve this area. It is indeed time for leadership.  GHG

Dwight_K_Shrute

I don't know what you guys are b!tching about.  My lady and I were at the game.  It had not been a very good date up to that point.  The service at Arby's was really slow, and she wasn't happy that I made her walk from Dickson Street to save on parking.  So I was like great another night of just me and lefty, but once they played "Open Arms" she was like putty in my hands, they almost threw us out for the PDA and afterwards well let's just say second base.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The Visor

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

rollerderbylicious

last night at the game the hogs were on a roll, the other team had to call a time out to stop the bleeding.  the crowd was really loud and the place was ready to explode.  Time out happens the crowd is yelling and the pep squads and the band don't have a clue.  there was hesitation on what to do ( the obvious was to call the hogs or the william tell) but no, they hesitate and then play some lame song that took the air out of the building.......

In the time it took you to notice the hesitation (and you mentioned it twice) you and the 3 next to you could have started calling the Hogs.  Those near you would have followed, and then the cheerleaders would have followed as well.

Been done plenty before.

Instead of blaming the band and the cheer squads, perhaps the fans could actually show desire to make a difference themselves.

OTTER

What ever happened to the noise meter?!!  We need to get it back or build a new one.  New meter, new band director with an attitude and some zest, and a cheer squad that knows what to do and when.  Add to that a crowd that generates their own noise without prompting, and that place will rock again!!!
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

pigzwillrise

Quote from: DMACStillRunnin on December 21, 2008, 01:18:45 pm
I know, it was retarded. Some of us were about to call the Hogs... and then that idiot band director and his retarded dueling guitars fired up some dumb song that has nothing to do with the Razorbacks and totally ruined the moment.

The guitarists are retarded, as is the idea of blasting the student section at close range by playing the fight song. It's not Razorback, and it's dumb. Fire the band director.

Also the new student section is really weird and it's lost some of it's ambience and fire that it had last year. All gone, with the stupid new design.
thank jeff long for that... and also for removing the slobbering hog...... i mean why would we want to keep it? we didnt have any good memories in bud walton anyways.... sarcasm of course

pigzwillrise

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 22, 2008, 10:33:33 pm
I don't know what you guys are b!tching about.  My lady and I were at the game.  It had not been a very good date up to that point.  The service at Arby's was really slow, and she wasn't happy that I made her walk from Dickson Street to save on parking.  So I was like great another night of just me and lefty, but once they played "Open Arms" she was like putty in my hands, they almost threw us out for the PDA and afterwards well let's just say second base.
exactly!! if a basketball atmosphere makes u want to get down with ur woman instead of scream and yell, there is a problem...

jap66

Quote from: rollerderbylicious on December 23, 2008, 08:58:37 am
In the time it took you to notice the hesitation (and you mentioned it twice) you and the 3 next to you could have started calling the Hogs.  Those near you would have followed, and then the cheerleaders would have followed as well.

Been done plenty before.

Instead of blaming the band and the cheer squads, perhaps the fans could actually show desire to make a difference themselves.

This thread is the reason for the ole saying "we are going to Hell in a handbasket"

Seems like almost all of the posts on this thread are begging for a leader.
Doesn't seem to be any disire to take the lead themselves.
Maybe these poster could text mommy or daddy to ask permission or advice about what to do.

And regarding Robken.
Last I heard he was at LaTech. At least he went there from here.
Maybe I am living in a cave but I can't remember reading or hearing any thing about the LaTech pep band having national recognition.

hogsanity

There are more than a few problems with atmosphere at BWA:

1.  Seats around 20K, yet, usually only has around 10k in it ( i dont care what the announced attendance is ).  It is not going to be "loud" whn it is half empty.

2.  Many people are there just because they can score free tickets from people who just do not want to go. 

3.  Many of the season ticket hplders are blue hairs who did not cheer loudly in 1994 when we won a NC, now they are 14 years older, and sure are not any louder.

4.  The basketball product (not just the hogs, but almost all of college bb) is getting less watchable, imo.  More physical play, poor shooting, not a wide open game.  I do like the pressing we have been doing, trying to speed up the other team, but it isnt what it used to be.

5.  BB excitement at the UA is down.  It took along time for Nolan to re-ignite people.  Heath never got them going.  Pel is trying, but it will take a NCAAT run, imo, to really get people excited about hogball again.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dwight_K_Shrute

Don't forget to clap politely, while seated of course.  And as always no booing.  And now a word from our sponsor "Wonder Bread".
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PigSnort

Putting the blame in all the wrong places.  When Barnhill was rocking we always had ranked teams, many with legit Final Four chances.  When we moved into BWA, we were ranked no. 1 and looking forward to a National Championship.

The slow, steady decline in fan excitement and arena atmosphere exactly mirrors the state of the basketball  program.

When we start winning consistently, and have highly ranked teams, the attendance will be back up and so will the atmosphere.

Winning cures all.

mtnmusic

As a former HS band director in both Arkansas and Texas I always felt that we were responsible for taking opposing pep bands and their fans out of the game. At both football games and basketball games my kids were instructed to watch the clock and start playing our hottest tunes 5 seconds before the quarter (or halftime at BB games) to shut the opposing band down before they got a chance to play and woe be to anyone who didn't have his horn up ready to play at called timeouts. Band can be a weapon if you know how to use it.

HuntinHog

December 23, 2008, 10:17:19 am #47 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:21:05 am by HuntinHog
My only complaint is how they've changed the flag routine.  Before this year they'd go all Rick Flair, raise the Arkansas flag and then go straight into the same song everytime that kept the momentum going (I don't know the name of the song because I don't roll like that).  Now they raise the flag, everything stops, and then they play some god awful song that kills the crowd.

hogsanity

Quote from: PigSnort on December 23, 2008, 10:09:12 am
Putting the blame in all the wrong places.  When Barnhill was rocking we always had ranked teams, many with legit Final Four chances.  When we moved into BWA, we were ranked no. 1 and looking forward to a National Championship.

The slow, steady decline in fan excitement and arena atmosphere exactly mirrors the state of the basketball  program.

When we start winning consistently, and have highly ranked teams, the attendance will be back up and so will the atmosphere.

Winning cures all.

So, you are blaming bandwagon, fairweather fans?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razobak

Quote from: HuntinHog on December 23, 2008, 10:17:19 am
My only complaint is how they've changed the flag routine.  Before this year they'd go all Rick Flair, raise the Arkansas flag and then go straight into the same song everytime that kept the momentum going (I don't know the name of the song because I don't roll like that).  Now they raise the flag, everything stops, and then they play some god awful song that kills the crowd.

I think you're talking about "Z", or "Also Sprach Zarathustra"....yeah we used to play a tag ending to that song, but when we got a new, more upbeat and modern arrangement, we discarded the "Who's number 1?  We're number 1!" tag ending to it, and we're still trying to find something to replace it.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!