Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC West Predictions

Started by Hogtropolis™, December 19, 2008, 02:05:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

As we all know the SEC seems to be way down.  Just wondering how everything will shake out in the SECW.  Here is a real brief overview of the teams.

*Bama - 6-3
-WINS - no good wins that I know of
-LOSSES - Mercer, Oregon, and A&M

*Arkansas - 7-1
-WINS - USA, APSU
-LOSSES - Missouri St.

*Auburn - 5-4
-WINS - Missouri St., George Washington
-LOSSES -  Mercer, 9-1 Dayton, Northern Iowa, #14 Xavier

*LSU - 8-0
-WINS - no good wins that I know of
-LOSSES - none

*Mississippi St. - 7-4
-WINS - St. Bonaventure, South Alabama
-LOSSES - Wash. St, Texas Tech, Charlotte, Cincy

*Ole Miss - 7-4
-WINS - Ark. St., South Alabama, Marshall, UCF
-LOSSES - Utah, West Virginia, New Mexico, #9 Louisville
-Also just lost their starting point guard and have two other players out for the season.

I think we end up finishing anywhere from 1-3.  Even though LSU hasn't played anyone, I think they will be a contender this year.  I think Ole Miss is done with the loss of their PG.  Auburn doesn't look to be any good and Bama seems to be struggling.

I would have to go with this for the standings.

LSU
Arkansas
MSU
Alabama
Ole Miss
Auburn

That's my best guess.

jst01

I think you could fill a hat with the 6 teams and draw them out at random to get the standings order. Who knows this year? It might be a year where the west winner finishes at 9-7 or maybe 8-8.

Beaverfever

December 19, 2008, 02:27:41 pm #2 Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 02:29:21 pm by Beaverfever
I started typing something when I realized I really can't figure this year out.  No team should be wretched, but no team should be great.  LSU seems like the only team that can really say it should be better than the other teams. 
The other teams could literally finish in any order IMO.  Honestly, homerism aside I think we might finish second in the west.  Fortson, Wash, and Clarke  are formidable.  By the end of the year they could be the best trio in the SEC (not really saying that much.  Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky, and LSU are the only teams with any real players.  Our depth, ehhhhh not so much. 

HotlantaHog

Some key upcoming games should help sort how the SEC teams look going into conference play:

Alabama Crimson Tide
--------------------
Jan  3- vs. Georgia Tech,
Jan  6- at  Clemson,

Arkansas Razorbacks
-------------------
Dec 30- vs. Oklahoma, 8:05 PM
Jan  6- vs. Texas, 9:05 PM

Auburn Tigers
-------------
Dec 20- at  Virginia,

L-S-U Tigers
------------
Dec 20- at  Texas A&M,
Jan  6- at  Utah

I am guessing the SEC West will end up fairly closely bunched together with a number of 8-8, 9-7, 7-9 type seasons. The next two weeks should give an indication of how competitive the teams are.

Ouachihog

I think our SOS has been so soft, that it is hard to know much about us.  After playing SFA, OU, and Texas, we will know more. 

In my opinion, USA and APSU are not "good" wins. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

ChicoHog

The SEC is not very good.  no top twenty teams except Tenn and maybe UF.  I don't think UK is top 20 caliber but maybe by the end of the year.  I think we can finish first or second in the west as long as Forston and Washington stay healthy.  Of course that is not saying much as it is a very weak division.  Kind of like the Big 12 north in football except worse!

blacksuit

If we win the west and do ok in the SEC tournament we probably get in the NCAAs. The wins are there for us to take.

jry04

We should win all our home games against the West teams. Assuming we lose to Texas and OU, we will be 11-3 going into conference play. Our RPI will probably be in the 50s or 40s. Winning all our home games is 5 SEC wins. We should probably beat Ole Miss @ Ole Miss, UGA at home, could beat UK at home, should beat SC on the road, could beat Auburn at Auburn. That is 10 conference wins, and 21 total wins. I see us winning a minimum of 6 games in the SEC and a max of 11.