Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Lineup and Players Roles

Started by Hogtropolis™, December 19, 2008, 01:13:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

Wednesday night was the first time that we saw a different starting lineup.  I personally don't think that Britt will be starting very long (although I have been wrong many times before).

Welsh or Henry will need to be starting in place of Britt.

I think eventually the lineup will look like this.

Starters:

G - Fortson
G - Clarke
F/G - Henry
F - Washington
F - Sanchez

Bench

Britt - 1st to relieve Henry

Welsh - rotation between him Fortson and Clarke with Fortson and Clarke getting the most PT.  Occasionally we will see all three on the court at the same time when Britt, Monk and Henry are all sitting.

Monk - 2nd to relieve Henry, will get 10-15 min. per game

Clark and Moore - Will both be relieving Sanchez and Washington, but I don't think Pel has figured out which one will get more PT yet.  I think it will end up being Moore.

Does anyone else see it differently?

mbgrulz

If Welsh keeps trying to play above his head, he will keep seeing a reduciton in his role. He only played about 1/2 the game vs. AP, and we were a better team for it.

He seems to have a false sense of what we need from him. We don't need him to jack up 15 shots per game. He has already proven to be a career sub 35% FG shooter. He needs to come in (off the bench) and get long rebounds, play good D and run the point when CF is on the bench.

I am not saying he needs to never shoot it, but he needs to quit looking for shots, and just take what the D gives him.

Also, Coach Pel needs to introduce him to #15 and tell SW that he is on our team.

HawgAdvocate

December 19, 2008, 01:50:31 pm #2 Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 01:53:50 pm by HawgAdvocate
I actually don't see Henry starting until he can play much better defense. He's the popular pick because he has such a high celing for improvement, but right now he's not a very good perimeter defender.

I actually enjoyed Britt getting the start. He's to good defensively to not be in the rotation, but he's also not a good enough ball handler to backup Courtney at PG. He's not going to need or look for shots. Courtney is going to score quite a bit more this season than I think we all envisioned. Britt is a great compliment to help when he's helping guard the opposing scoring wing that Rotnei won't normally be able to hold.

I am also hoping that keeping Welsh on the bench to start games will help Pel control Welsh's minutes. Backing up Fortson should give Pel reason to advise Welsh to act more like a distributer instead of force shots.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

afielde11

i don't think a guy who hasn't played college ball in 3 years and just joined the team is going to get 10-15 min. a game and be one of the first ones off the bench

Beaverfever

Quote from: afielde11 on December 19, 2008, 02:02:09 pm
i don't think a guy who hasn't played college ball in 3 years and just joined the team is going to get 10-15 min. a game and be one of the first ones off the bench
I bet you'll be surprised.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: afielde11 on December 19, 2008, 02:02:09 pm
I didn't say he would be one of the first ones off the bench.  The order they will come off the bench will depend on who we play, but I bet Britt/Henry, Welsh, and either Moore or Clark will probably always come off the bench before Monk, but I think people are not giving Monk enough credit for what he can add to this team.  I still say anywhere between 10-15 with 10 being more likely.

jst01

I have noticed that Sanchez gets real tired within the first 10 minutes of a game. Not sure if he is just not ready for 20+ minutes a game or what. Every time is shows him on t.v. during a timeout or stop of play, he's always sucking wind and gasping for air. anyone see this besides me?

hoglee

Isn't it great to have discussions like this! ;D

Wildhog

I don't see Monk getting much PT at all... Pel just needed a leader. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HawgAdvocate

Monk will more than likely get 10-12 minutes a game as we get to the middle of SEC play. We're not a very deep team.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

c-townfan

I really think that Britt could be much more of a scorer if need be. I saw the red/white game 3 point contest and he was nailing some 3's. He has a smooth shot with perfect form, and nice release. And I believe his ball handling skills are under-rated. I think he might lack a little bit of confidence in himself as well. And I think he is simply doing what he is asked to do; as in being a role player with his defensive ability. And being really smart offensively. Thats my take on the matter.

Beaverfever

Quote from: c-townfan on December 19, 2008, 02:36:13 pm
I really think that Britt could be much more of a scorer if need be. I saw the red/white game 3 point contest and he was nailing some 3's. He has a smooth shot with perfect form, and nice release. And I believe his ball handling skills are under-rated. I think he might lack a little bit of confidence in himself as well. And I think he is simply doing what he is asked to do; as in being a role player with his defensive ability. And being really smart offensively. Thats my take on the matter.
I'm no bball expert but Britt's shot is really weird looking in my opinion.  "perfect form" might be a bit of stretch.

c-townfan

Maybe not perfect, but he has nice trajectory on the ball. And his release is good. Just believe him to be under-rated as an offensive threat is all.

Hognum P.I.

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 19, 2008, 02:39:00 pm
I'm no bball expert but Britt's shot is really weird looking in my opinion.  "perfect form" might be a bit of stretch.

It looks odd because we don't see much good form these days.  I thought so too until I saw the replay of his baseline jumper Wed. night.  He had the ball high, out in front and it was all wrist.  Was a quick release too.
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/arkchirodoc/th_Obamastan.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

c-townfan

Quote from: pig_sooie27 on December 19, 2008, 03:01:14 pm
It looks odd because we don't see much good form these days.  I thought so too until I saw the replay of his baseline jumper Wed. night.  He had the ball high, out in front and it was all wrist.  Was a quick release too.

Exactly. This is the way I was taught and the correct way.

BBHog

As far as Britt's shot.  Come on guys.  If you want to see a perfect shot, watch Ray Allen shoot.  It seriously doesn't get any more picture perfect than that.  Now compare that shot to Marcus Britt's shot.  Britt seems extremely unnatural in his shot.  Maybe a jerky motion?  It reminds me of a junior high shot.  Not trying to dog Britt out.  I would much rather have him in the game than Welsh. 

As far as Monk, I think some people are getting a little too excited.  I clearly remember Monk getting to play his freshman year.  He could have been nervous, but his shot looked horrible.  Not even close.  He's going to have to play the 3 since he's only 6'4".  If he can play good D and get some rebounds we may have a few minutes for him.  I sure wouldn't expect 10-15 though.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Smolder

I like Britt starting myself. He is a great defender and if he can slow down the opposing guards a little, his lack of scoring wont be a problem. 

sirhog

I agree with Hogtropolis on his starting lineup but I think it will be mid SEC time before it comes to pass. That would be 4 Freshman in the starting lineup. Wow! I think the game is coming to Henry and he will be really good by the end of the year. I also think Moore and Clark will get more minutes later in the year when the SEC refs decide to foul out our starting 4 and 5. They both have a ton of upside and will continue to get better.

IMHO I think Britt will be a Robert Sheppard (maybe not that good but it was the only guy I could think of) type of player by his senior year if his offense continues to improve. I don't remember getting any bad play from him the last 2 years. He doesn't force shots, plays good defense, and protects the basketball.

labb

If and when Henry really gets into the rotation with major minutes I think that you will see him at the three and also at the PG position..Pel has already let him work at the PG position..

The_Iceman

Quote from: BBHog on December 19, 2008, 03:34:14 pm
  He's going to have to play the 3 since he's only 6'4". 

Monk was a football 6'4". in terms of the inflation of basketball heights across the country, he is 6'6".

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on December 19, 2008, 01:13:39 pm
Wednesday night was the first time that we saw a different starting lineup.  I personally don't think that Britt will be starting very long (although I have been wrong many times before).

Welsh or Henry will need to be starting in place of Britt.

I think eventually the lineup will look like this.

Starters:

G - Fortson
G - Clarke
F/G - Henry
F - Washington
F - Sanchez

Bench

Britt - 1st to relieve Henry

Welsh - rotation between him Fortson and Clarke with Fortson and Clarke getting the most PT.  Occasionally we will see all three on the court at the same time when Britt, Monk and Henry are all sitting.
Monk - 2nd to relieve Henry, will get 10-15 min. per game
Clark and Moore - Will both be relieving Sanchez and Washington, but I don't think Pel has figured out which one will get more PT yet.  I think it will end up being Moore.
Does anyone else see it differently?

I agree with your post. I have always thought this would be the line up to give us the best chance to win as the going gets tougher...with a lot of MM(marcus not montrell) as he gets his conditioning down and MB for added depth.

Clark and Moore just need more PT...and a whole lot of DEFENSE.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Beaverfever

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 19, 2008, 09:55:38 pm
Monk was a football 6'4". in terms of the inflation of basketball heights across the country, he is 6'6".
haha yeah true.  And Monk is every bit of 6'4.  A true 6'4 is tall enough to pound down low with the big boys if you have enough skill. 

dotnet

I don't think Henry handles the ball good enough to play PG.  When Henry becomes good/consistent enough to start and play 25 minutes a game is when this team really starts to hit its ceiling, in my opinion.  I don't think we'll get THAT much from Monk, and Welsh really is showing all the bad qualities of Gary Ervin without any of the good qualities.

I think Britt will be fine stating.  When you think about some of the teams we play, we need someone who is that good of a defensive player starting.  Especially since he can wear himself out on that side of the court without needing much from them on offense.  I just see him becoming really important when we go up against Willie Warren, AJ Abrams, Ronald Steele, the Heurtas, etc. With the exception of Warren, to have someone focus on the other teams best player (without much help in some instances) is a really big plus.

Coach Obvious

Britt will be surprising us in the next couple years. He's better than he has shown. I think he has had some problems adjusting to the college game, but he's showing steady improvement. By his senior year, he will be indispensable.