Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I miss nolan richardson

Started by songofthesword, December 18, 2008, 07:15:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

songofthesword

No slight on pelphery at all. I think he is the right man for the job. I really do. I like the direction of the program. but my gosh I miss 40 minutes of hell. It's not fun anymore or at least anywhere near at least.

evne hwne we sucked, it was fun as heck to watch

RazorHog14

Guess you weren't actually watching the games then. It sucked to watch when we sucked.

Earl

75grad

NCAA=Need Cash Attend Auburn

jschulte

Is that you nolan?

Anyways -- I think this team is fun to watch.

HawgWild

The playing styles between Ediie Sutton and a Nolan Richardson coached team were night and day, for sure. What used to drive me crazy about Nolan's team was that just as quickly as they could stage a 20 point run on a team, the same could happen to them. I don't recall ever seeing Sutton's team blow a 10 point lead; too much ball control for that. Whereas, Nolan's team could be down by 20, catch up, get ahead by 10 and then be passed again. Definitely fast paced ball.

Hogimus Prime

those days will return soon.  Pel seems just as intense as Nolan and is another big man, swingman or two away from being able to play the way he wants to play and then the Bud will a rockin like it did in the mid-90's

Beaverfever

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on December 19, 2008, 01:51:52 pm
those days will return soon.  Pel seems just as intense as Nolan and is another big man, swingman or two away from being able to play the way he wants to play and then the Bud will a rockin like it did in the mid-90's
Pel doesn't run the same brand of 40 mins of hell.  I like his style too, but it's not the same as Nolan's.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 19, 2008, 01:53:38 pm
Pel doesn't run the same brand of 40 mins of hell.  I like his style too, but it's not the same as Nolan's.

oh i know they don't run the same style of full court pressing.  i really like the fact that Pel has some big guys and has two more coming in.   outside of 93-96 Nolan's teams were always lacking some bigmen.

jonesark™

i dont care for anyone that thinks they are bigger than the organization they are apart of......period

jgphillips3

I miss the old Nolan style of Hog ball when he recruited well.  I don't miss the slow death at the end.  I will always appreciate Nolan for what he did for us and wouldn't mind having him as coach even today if he hadn't lost his fire, but Nolan at the end was not the same.

guthhog

The court should be named after Nolan.  3 final fours, a championship, and a runner up....what more does a man have to do?
Give a man a beer and he will waste an hour.  Teach a man to make beer, and he will waste a lifetime.

guthhog

I would be a little miffed if 4 years after my team won it all my athletic department dissed me for TCTWF.
Give a man a beer and he will waste an hour.  Teach a man to make beer, and he will waste a lifetime.

3kgthog

Nolan has mellowed and said nothing but great things about the fans since he was fired. I'm willing to forgive and it's sad that some of you are not.

Obviously some of what NR said about JFB was true considering what has come to pass since then. We need Nolan around the program in some fashion. How many other schools kick their only championship head coach to the curb and bury him under a rock somewhere? Move on. Heal the program. You can bet he'd be an asset to the Razorbacks if he attended some practices and taught some defense or gave some pre-game speeches. He's got too much experience and too much left to give for him to rot away on his farm.

Jeffcphog

There will never be another "40 minutes of hell" the way Nolan's worked because of rule changes.  The rules were changed because of Nolan.  So, maybe he was bigger than the organization itself.

eathill5

maybe you should become a fan of the Mexican National team.
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

jgphillips3

I think we all know that Nolan was speaking a lot more truth than most of us gave him credit for now that the end of the Broyle's machine has come to pass.  I think the Court needs to be named after Nolan.  However, Nolan was asleep at the wheel his last seven years and put himself in position to be fired.  That said, Nolan took our program to heights most only dream of.  He deserves our appreciation and respect for what he did for the program, no matter what flaw he has (as we all have our own flaws).  I hope we embrace him fully and his players and we move forward under Pelphrey to capitalize on what could have been had Nolan stayed hungry.

Porkys Revenge

I was wondering while watching the Austin Pea game the other night, how many players do we currently have that could have started for our team from 93-95? I was thinking none. Fortson my have been 2nd string. After Fortson, I'm not sure if any of our current players could have even come off the bench to play.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on December 19, 2008, 08:17:43 pm
I was wondering while watching the Austin Pea game the other night, how many players do we currently have that could have started for our team from 93-95? I was thinking none. Fortson my have been 2nd string. After Fortson, I'm not sure if any of our current players could have even come off the bench to play.

thats a good question, but that 93-94 and 94-95 teams were not the typical Nolan teams.   Washington, Fortson, and Clarke probably would've have been valuable reserves on that team.

outside of Crawford and Darnell Robinson off the bench that team wasnt really all that deep.   

ChicoHog

Quote from: HawgWild on December 19, 2008, 01:44:30 pm
The playing styles between Ediie Sutton and a Nolan Richardson coached team were night and day, for sure. What used to drive me crazy about Nolan's team was that just as quickly as they could stage a 20 point run on a team, the same could happen to them. I don't recall ever seeing Sutton's team blow a 10 point lead; too much ball control for that. Whereas, Nolan's team could be down by 20, catch up, get ahead by 10 and then be passed again. Definitely fast paced ball.
great observation.  NR's teams used to drive me nuts because of the leads they would blow, especially against good teams.  He got smart with the 94/95 teams and slowed it down a little and played more conservatively.  I will always be an Eddie fan since he was the coach when I was there and I think a brilliant tactician.  They made very few mistakes. 
I think Pel is a good coach and will do what it takes to win, regardless of style.  I'm looking forward to this team growing and getting better each game.  Fortson is the real deal and we really drop off when he is not in the game.

HawgWild

QuoteNR's teams used to drive me nuts because of the leads they would blow, especially against good teams.  He got smart with the 94/95 teams and slowed it down a little and played more conservatively.  I will always be an Eddie fan since he was the coach when I was there and I think a brilliant tactician.  They made very few mistakes.

I learned the game watching Sutton's teams and I've always preferred his style over Nolan's. JMHO

deucea729

I bet Green Bay Packers fans miss Vince Lombardi and UCLA fans miss John Wooden, too.

I miss the championship years under Nolan.  But I also believe that we have the right man building us back to that level.  So I can't help but look forward enthusiastically, instead of backward wistfully.   :razorback:

Beaverfever

Yeah the blowing leads thing always ticked me off too.  We always made it look effortless getting up by 15-20 points but once we were up by that much we just looked clueless out there.  Like we had no idea what we were trying to do.

ozarkshogfan

hoggystyle78

Give Pel time, you can obviously see these guys improving, good times are ahead.

tolerati

I agree good times are ahead. This team is improving. I also agree it is time to move on. We should honor and appreciate NR. Those were great teams and a great times. JP will build on what NR has done to take us to new heights. Patience is the key.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal