Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stephen F. Austin represents another challenge

Started by opineonswine, December 18, 2008, 11:04:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

opineonswine

SFA has the highest RPI of any opponent we have played to date 'cept MO State.  They lost to AtM by 7, who recently beat Alabama in OT.

This will be another tough opponent.

claycohog

Biggus Piggus

Glad they have to play on consecutive nights.  SFA won at Drake, which is not an easy place to play.  New Mexico couldn't win at Drake.  NC Central went to Drake and lost by 43.

SFA won 26 games last year, which is pretty amazing.  Their coach, Danny Kaspar, has zero national profile but has a long history of success.

They returned four starters from last season, including a good 6-9, 230 center, a quick point guard, and a couple of good shooters.  They bring a 6-9, 240 post off the bench and have a couple of new jucos who play.

SFA rebounds well, shoots outside shots at a high percentage, plays very good perimeter defense, and works patiently for good shots inside and out.  They are the type of matchup that could give the young Hogs trouble.  This would be a great game for Jason Henry to show up.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Josh Alexander is a 6-4, 210 wing player who is leading SFA in scoring so far this season.  He plays the three position, which has been a sore spot at times for the Hogs.

I said SFA had four returning starters, but they're not all starting.  In the last game SFA started

SF Alexander (shooting 48% from 3-pt range)
PF Nick Shaw, 6-6, 215 sr. (returning starter)
C Matt Kingsley, 6-9, 230 sr. (returning starter)
PG Girod Adams, 5-10, 170 jr. (juco recruit, second-leading 3-pt shooter)
SG Eddie Williams, 6-2, 190 so., from Oklahoma City

The usual PG starter is 5-3 jr. Eric Bell, but he has been recovering from a concussion.  Bell led the Southland Conference in assists last year.

Walt Harris, a 6-5 jr. juco swingman, has been making big plays off the bench.

Maybe they have some issues guarding the two guard.  Ben Woodside, 5-11 white guy, of North Dakota State hit them for 60 points in a 3-OT game the other day.  Thirty of his points were at the line, just 6 from 3-pt range.
[CENSORED]!

hawgsav1

See if Clarke can get open and hit some shots.  He wasn't moving very well last night.  Needs to be better coming off of screens. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

merccedes

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 18, 2008, 02:02:29 pm
See if Clarke can get open and hit some shots.  He wasn't moving very well last night.  Needs to be better coming off of screens. 
Clarke had 4 3's right i hope he comes off screnns that bad all year.

hawgsav1

Quote from: merccedes on December 18, 2008, 04:45:16 pm
Clarke had 4 3's right i hope he comes off screnns that bad all year.

But on 9 attempts. 

chiefsfan

One of their point guards is 5-3?

Man Courtney Fortson towers over him
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Hogbody

hawgsav1

Quote from: rzrbkman on December 18, 2008, 05:09:10 pm
I'll take a guard anytime who can hit 44%`from the 3-pt line in a game.

True, but a lot of the time he would just sit at the top of the key, take a pass, and then pass it off, and then kind of sit there instead of running around trying to get open.  They played him well, but I still think he could have done a little better.

opineonswine

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 18, 2008, 05:56:07 pm
True, but a lot of the time he would just sit at the top of the key, take a pass, and then pass it off, and then kind of sit there instead of running around trying to get open.  They played him well, but I still think he could have done a little better.

He's playing his 8th game in college.  Last year he was playing in Verdigris, OK.  I see patience is not a long suit of yours.

hawgsav1

Quote from: opineonswine on December 18, 2008, 07:01:25 pm
He's playing his 8th game in college.  Last year he was playing in Verdigris, OK.  I see patience is not a long suit of yours.

Oh, I'm not bashing him.  On the contrary, I think he's doing great for a freshman and has performed in an exemplary manner.  I just thought there were a few things he could possibly work on for the future and I'm sure he will.  He'll be awesome for us. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 18, 2008, 05:56:07 pm

Clarke is doing what his coach asks him to do.  Five players are on the court.
[CENSORED]!

booogaga

GO HOGS!

Beaverfever

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 19, 2008, 09:07:52 am
Clarke is doing what his coach asks him to do.  Five players are on the court.
Yeah, I doubt Clarke will be the centerpiece of our offense any time soon.  For now he is just shooting 3's when he gets a decent look.  That is pretty much all Pel is asking of him. He is a tremendous asset to us just shooting 3's. 

RunnerHog

Good lord they lost to La Monroe and will get beat tonite.  We'll smoke them.

webbgem

Quote from: rzrbkman on December 18, 2008, 05:09:10 pm
I'll take a guard anytime who can hit 44%`from the 3-pt line in a game.

This

And any team who has lost to ULM gets 0 respect from me......
Matthew 6:34

Beaverfever

Quote from: RunnerHog on December 19, 2008, 12:10:55 pm
Good lord they lost to La Monroe and will get beat tonite.  We'll smoke them.
Don't count on it.  This is the best team we've played this year.  I think we'll win but let's not get too cocky.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: webbgem on December 19, 2008, 12:36:32 pm
This

And any team who has lost to ULM gets 0 respect from me......

SFA led La-Monroe by 17 at their place but couldn't buy a basket or free throw the last 5 minutes of the game.  That game was in November.  They more than made up for it by winning at Drake.
[CENSORED]!