Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you remember William Mills?????????

Started by hogzilla3, December 16, 2008, 08:29:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogzilla3

I thought he had so much potential . He had the Michael Jordan look the game to go with it and wore the armband like Mike. Just such a waste,,,,,just took the wrong road.   Sad to think what could of been

Kevin

he was the best player i ever saw his redshirt year. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

greasy_corner

I used to watch the games as a kid and obsess over his box score as much as the game itself.  He introduced me to hogball.  I think I moved on to hutchinson or Ratliff at some point. 

ArkansasFan

I do remember Mills wearing that armband halfway up the forearm.  I loved the way he did those reverse dunks.  Awesome talent.

nchog1

My wife and I were driving home the night he was killed. We passed by the bar on College and I looked in the parking lot. It was jam packed with cars with hardly any room to walk and I off-handedly told my wife that there would " be a killin" in all that mess. What a waste.

woodydoc

William Mills was as talented as any razorback ever.  Those wasted talents are hard to understand.  I remember Mills and Huery in the HPER building and how they completely dominated everyone without even trying. 

Do you remember when he did the reverse dunk and high-fived Sutton on the way back down the court? Awesome.

booogaga

when did he play. i am too young i guess. how long did he play?
GO HOGS!

southeasthog

Quote from: Karma on December 17, 2008, 11:21:49 am
Do you remember when he did the reverse dunk and high-fived Sutton on the way back down the court? Awesome.
Yes. One of the most electrifying dunks in UA history. Anytime you could fire up Sutton and get him to show some emotion, you did something special.

rude1

Remember that one well. It came off of a great defensvie play, where he jumped in the passing lane and made the steal, went the other way and rammed home the reverse dunk. Great defensive play and a great dunk. What a waste.

linze82

smite me bishes

Kevin

played 84 through 86, shot and killed in fayetteville
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

The Hawg Marshal

Yeah he had some awesome ability. I had high hopes for him. Its a shame.

Calihog

Major talent, minimal self control.... Seems to be a frequent pair in athletics.

razorzapp

i wore arm bands all thru high school because of william mills.

Parkhog

One of the best I've ever seen here. Shot and killed in the late 80's at Hollywood's I think it was called. What a waste!!

lovethosehogs

December 17, 2008, 08:17:56 pm #16 Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:19:34 pm by lovethosehogs
I loved number 5 he was one of my favorite players.  Very nice guy every time I talked to him.  He made a few mistakes and tragic the way his life ended. 

Kevin

i remember him on the dance floor at gazebo's.

what a friday buffet they served

linze82

smite me bishes

lovethosehogs

Parkhog

Used to be a bar were Coolwater's is now. It went by several names over the years. It was Mardi Gras before Hollywoods

BigSexyHog

One of my all time Razorback favorites and will always be in that catagory as well.  Some of you can blast him all you want and call him names but he will always be one of my favorite players along with Huery..   I was a kid when they played but still remember what they did.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

oldfart

potentiallly one of the greatest hog BB players ever..  the fairy dust got to him....

pignatious

I used to go to the practices after class just to see him play. He was truly a special talent. He was always friendly with a big smile on his face. If he had applied himself, I think he had all the skills of Jordan, plus he could block shots, and could have been a Player of the Year candidate and a Number 1 NBA pick. 40+ inch vertical and 6'8" with a great shot, a nose for the ball, and a very good defensive player when he was focused. I put him in the same wasted talent class as Marcus Dupree. Guys who had every bit of talent in the world given to them and they just wasted it. And, ultimately it cost Mills his life. I always wondered if Sutton's own problems with alcohol, and the head assistant at the time problems with drugs, had an adverse effect on that team. Kenny Hutchinson was a druggie as well and they were best friends and roommates. Seemed like it was just over looked as long as they could play. Mills could play unbelievably great one game, and totally disappear the next. Undoubtedly, drugs were the reason for that. I will always remember him as one of the most talented players I have ever seen in a Razorback uniform. But, also one of the most tragic stories of unfilled promise.
Freedom is never free.

the donger

razorbacker3

I have always said he had more pure natural talent than anyone in hog bb history. Could have had it all and just wasted it.

DC

One of the best talents to ever wear a hog uniform! I'll never forget number 5 and his amazing reverse dunks!

fineswine

The guy was an athletic freak.  I agree that he could have been the best to ever play here, but he couldn't stay clean.  I only met him once, but he was very nice and humble.  The best player ever from Perkins Georgia.

ballhog88

He loved women and cocaine! The women part got him killed, slept with the wrong dudes girl.

Hognum P.I.

Quote from: astoriahog on December 17, 2008, 06:39:59 pm
Shame what Fanny Fay did to him!

Good one!  (Although I think it was Wilbur.  And Fanny Fox).
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/arkchirodoc/th_Obamastan.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

threeNout

I remember the 20 foot shot he made at TX A&M that put the game in OT.

crazy game, I think we won in 3 OTs

didn't he have a brief NBA career?

kingofdequeen

didn't alvin robertson beat his @$$ in practice one day?

mountainhog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on December 18, 2008, 06:45:33 pm
didn't alvin robertson beat his @$$ in practice one day?

Dont know about that , but he made a lasting impression on me.

I agree, he was the best talent ever to suit up for the hogs. 

What a shame.

jlmnjem

He was one of the biggest a$$holes I ever played against. He was a big crybaby, and was as arrogant as he was talented.

jlmnjem

Quote from: BEvERage on December 19, 2008, 11:12:44 am
great eyesight. he was killed on dickson st.

Quote from: BEvERage on December 19, 2008, 11:12:44 am
great eyesight. he was killed on dickson st.

Sorry, but you're wrong. It was a bar on College...I can't remember the name, but it's the place with the parking lot that slopes downhill from the road toward the building.

jgphillips3

He was an outstanding talent.  He never lived up to it, but I enjoyed watching him.  It kind of makes me think of what Al Dillard said on the buzz the other day about how awesome Darnell Robinson was and how good he could have been if he had Corliss' work ethic.  It's a shame when talent goes to waste.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: jlmnjem on December 19, 2008, 08:24:26 pm
Sorry, but you're wrong. It was a bar on College...I can't remember the name, but it's the place with the parking lot that slopes downhill from the road toward the building.
I think its right next to where Curry's video is/was. Not sure if Curry's is still there or not.

razorbak

Anybody remember Nolan's first year, we played 20th ranked Ohio St. in Barnhill? We were 9 [yes 9] points behind with a minute and a half [or less] left. William Mills sparked a comeback with steals and threes to tie it up, and when OT began, there was no doubt who would win---the Hogs. One of the most exciting basketball games ever.
"If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansaw where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth." [Davy Crockett 1834]

"If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision." [Major General Patrick Cleburne, Confederate Civil War hero from Arkansas]

The Confederacy had no better soldiers than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond prudence. [Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.]

jlmnjem

Porkys Revenge

Think it was the Gazebo's. And then I believe it was called River City in late 80's/early 90's.

snoot hoggy hog

I was a kid when he played, and was devastated when he got killed. I remember how he hit his head on the backboard on a dunk.  I live in Georgia now, and actually met a few people that went to high school with him.  They all say the same thing:  world class talent ten cent attitude.  Do anybody remember when the Hogs had to wear those homemade jerseys?

fineswine

Quote from: razorbak on December 19, 2008, 08:43:28 pm
Anybody remember Nolan's first year, we played 20th ranked Ohio St. in Barnhill? We were 9 [yes 9] points behind with a minute and a half [or less] left. William Mills sparked a comeback with steals and threes to tie it up, and when OT began, there was no doubt who would win---the Hogs. One of the most exciting basketball games ever.
Yeah that was great!  Another nominee would be when we beat a highly ranked Kansas team when Danny Manning was there.  Mills had 28 in that game.  I believe it was Nolan's second team here.

Parkhog

It was Hollywood's on College. I was in school here at the time. Actually knew a few people who were there when it happened. Speculation was that it was drug related.

I thought he was shot in a bar just on the other side of the Oklahoma border by a former Razorback track player. Been along time!
Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet." (1991)

Nashville Fan

Sad story. It was a different world back then. Mills was a nice guy with loads of potential. He dated a friend of mine. He was always around the apartment. Sutton let him run wild because Eddie was drunk all of the time by then. William played stoned every game. Nolan tried some tough love and it didn't work. It was a shame. One night we were watching some nba hoops and I said that could be you William. He said I don't think that will ever happen. The next year he quit and sort of dissappeared until I read he was shot years later.
Pittman or Bust!

89ALUM

I saw Mills in a game up in the Springdale Industrial League, had to be around 1988 or so.  He might have been playing on Tyson's team - what a huge doofus.  He was so wasted, he could barely run up and down the court.  Wouldn't come back and play any defense, just sat under the basket and waited for someone to throw him the ball so he could dunk.  Was nice enough to everyone around him, just too bad he had deteriorated so much by that point.

I also saw him try to inbound the ball from his own bench, right into the basket.  I guess he was trying an alley oop, which became an alley-oops.  Right after it happened, Nolan told him to get his butt on the bench, and he just walked from the sidelines right over to an open seat.  Mills thought the whole thing was funny - Nolan definitely did not.
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

razorvision

Yes, I remember the game well!  It was against Nolan Richardson's Tulsa team. The look from Nolan was priceless too!  Like... damn this kid is good! Speaking of great Razorback players... how about Lenzie Howell. That kid could flat out jump and made some spectacular dunks during his career.  Most memorable for me was the game against Texas in Austin. The crowd kept chanting "Boring-Boring" every time the Hogs played on offense. About that time Howell drove down the lane and threw down a nasty dunk. That pretty much ended the heckling from the Texas fans.
Visit www.rsgcommunications.ws and save big on digital services for your home or office.

hoggystyle78

He definitely had a chance to be one of the best to ever put on a Hog BB uniform, too bad he wasted it all away with drugs. Another player who could've been very good but was a head case was Willie Cutts, anybody remember him?