Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

STUDENT SECTION FOR AUSTIN PEAY GAME

Started by firecrotch, December 16, 2008, 07:07:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

firecrotch

December 16, 2008, 07:07:42 pm Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 07:37:50 pm by firecrotch
I know there are a couple of students on this board, so I'd pass a little infor on. I just got an email from the Athletic Dept wanting me to get word out that the game will be FREE for students. All you have to do is show your id at the student door.

The_Iceman

December 16, 2008, 07:59:21 pm #1 Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:01:04 pm by The_Iceman
haha, because no one going to be there. We are all on Christmas break and went home after spending the last 7 days with about 3 hours of sleep a night and 5 finals. i couldnt get out of fayetteville quicker.

why don't they treat us like almost half of the other SEC schools and let us in free all the time. No other school in the SEC charges more than like $60 a season (according to the Traveler article), and they charge us $108.

firecrotch

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 16, 2008, 07:59:21 pm
why don't they treat us like almost half of the other SEC schools and let us in free all the time. No other school in the SEC charges more than like $60 a season (according to the Traveler article), and they charge us $108.

Because the other schools have an athletic fee in the student fees and we don't. If you really go and look at the numbers we pay as much as they do.

razorhead94

Quote from: firecrotch on December 16, 2008, 08:10:35 pm
Because the other schools have an athletic fee in the student fees and we don't. If you really go and look at the numbers we pay as much as they do.

Then there needs to be an athletic fee...ticket prices are killing student attendance.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

ua_hogs

ill be there, and thanks for the info.  i called the ticket office once i noticed i didnt have these games in my season package, and they said students would have to pay six bucks at the door.  guess they decided they need as much support as possible.

and in regards to the athletic fee, it wont happen.  students vote on it and most students don't care about basketball and don't want an athletic fee to help lower bball prices.  i think in the last poll it lost 80-20 or something like that.

also, $108 doesn't seem to be that much for season tickets.  i have paid it four years now and can't complain about 6 dollars a game for razorback basketball.  student ticket prices aren't killing attendance, the reason student attendance is down is the same reason normal attendance is down.  and if you can't afford tickets, get a job or call mom.

sasnakrafan

part of the reason why student attendance is down is the product on the court. we are subpar and we long to be like the dukes and unc's of this world but we are not there (or atleast anymore) so let's face it.. we got some fair-weathered fans.

I think a worse problem is that the tickets are not available except for the beginning of the year, whether in crappy packages or season tickets. the price isn't that bad, but availability is. Some students can't drop 108 bucks that easily and 24 bucks for a crappy package 3 nobodies plus 1 sec team is definitely not worth it.

I sent an email to Jeff Long and of course it hasn't been responded to personally or automatically generated responded. I said Hey reason why students aren't coming is because they tickets aren't available at the ticket office. Simple. 108 bucks or 24 bucks to invest a questionable team is a lot of money plus on top of that you're probably not going to be able to make all of them because of finals, midterms, papers, group meetings, homework, projects, or work.

I say keep prices for season ticket holders at 108 or cheaper/ reward the loyal ones and then sell tickets at the door for students who don't purchase season tickets at about 8-10. Guarantee you attendance would be better student-wise.

woopigsooie89

Thanks for the info.. I was royally pissed that they didn't give us tickets to this game, but now I feel better

firecrotch

Quote from: sasnakrafan on December 16, 2008, 11:08:18 pm
part of the reason why student attendance is down is the product on the court. we are subpar and we long to be like the dukes and unc's of this world but we are not there (or atleast anymore) so let's face it.. we got some fair-weathered fans.

I think a worse problem is that the tickets are not available except for the beginning of the year, whether in crappy packages or season tickets. the price isn't that bad, but availability is. Some students can't drop 108 bucks that easily and 24 bucks for a crappy package 3 nobodies plus 1 sec team is definitely not worth it.

I sent an email to Jeff Long and of course it hasn't been responded to personally or automatically generated responded. I said Hey reason why students aren't coming is because they tickets aren't available at the ticket office. Simple. 108 bucks or 24 bucks to invest a questionable team is a lot of money plus on top of that you're probably not going to be able to make all of them because of finals, midterms, papers, group meetings, homework, projects, or work.

I say keep prices for season ticket holders at 108 or cheaper/ reward the loyal ones and then sell tickets at the door for students who don't purchase season tickets at about 8-10. Guarantee you attendance would be better student-wise.

A group of us students had a sit down with a couple of members of the AD and mentioned the whole packages thing and being only allowed to buy 1 of them. They said they'll look into it which means they won't. So they know how we stand on the subject.

firecrotch

Quote from: woopigsooie89 on December 16, 2008, 11:14:45 pm
Thanks for the info.. I was royally pissed that they didn't give us tickets to this game, but now I feel better

What makes it worse was they were going to charge students $6 at the door to get in, even is you bought the whole season tickets. This was a huge thing that should've been avoided anyways.

The_Iceman

why not just scan your id at the door and however many games you go to durning a year, thats what you get charged on your account.

if you go to all of them, its $108. if its $6 a game, then if you go to 5 games its $30.

ua_hogs

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 16, 2008, 11:36:21 pm
why not just scan your id at the door and however many games you go to durning a year, thats what you get charged on your account.

if you go to all of them, its $108. if its $6 a game, then if you go to 5 games its $30.

thats a good idea except attendance would be even worse for the crappy teams because many students who buy tickets in packages go see lesser opponents because they have a ticket that they paid for. 

On the other side, what happens when kentucky, texas, etc come to town and there arent enough seats for the students, first come first serve would work but it might screw some of the students who have been loyal and gone to all or most of the games, not just the big ones, but got their too late.

firecrotch

Most of the loyal students get there early to start off with. I actually like that idea, only problem is what if your id isn't working. THose scanners don't work half the time anyway.

ua_hogs

Quote from: firecrotch on December 16, 2008, 11:52:34 pm
Most of the loyal students get there early to start off with. I actually like that idea, only problem is what if your id isn't working. THose scanners don't work half the time anyway.

id say half of them do.  me and the guy i go with have been getting there 5 minutes before each game for the last 3 years.  granted if it was done as iceman propsed we would get there earlier.  i just think that it would hurt attendace overall against teams like sisters of the poor.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ua_hogs on December 17, 2008, 12:09:58 am
id say half of them do.  me and the guy i go with have been getting there 5 minutes before each game for the last 3 years.  granted if it was done as iceman propsed we would get there earlier.  i just think that it would hurt attendace overall against teams like sisters of the poor.

for football, i usually got there 2 hours before the game and usually sat in the 2nd or 3rd row.

for basketball, this year because of time and classes i havent been able to get there until about 30 minutes before the game, but during conference play, i plan on being 2nd or 1st row.

firecrotch

Quote from: ua_hogs on December 17, 2008, 12:09:58 am

Agreed with the smaller teams, students showing cause they feel obligated because it's one of their 4 or 5 games they get to see. Not saying Iceman's plan is bad, I just don't see it working overall.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: sasnakrafan on December 16, 2008, 11:08:18 pm

Yep, fair-weather fans describes it to a "T".

You mentioned Duke.  Do you really believe that Duke's students stopped showing up a few years ago when they were really stinking up the court while Coach K was on the mend?  Not on your life.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Hogbody

How come I didnt get an email about this?

I plan on calling tomorrow before I just go.  Dang it I just got back home tonight too.  I'll march back up there for a free bball ticket tho.

ua_hogs

Quote from: Hogbody on December 17, 2008, 01:52:42 am

I plan on calling tomorrow before I just go.  Dang it I just got back home tonight too.  I'll march back up there for a free bball ticket tho.

don't worry, i didnt get one either.  in fact when i called a week ago they said we would have to pay $6 at the door. 

firecrotch

December 17, 2008, 06:08:13 am #18 Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:52:41 am by firecrotch
Quote from: Hogbody on December 17, 2008, 01:52:42 am

I'm in pretty good with the Associate Ahletic Director. He didn't send me the e-mail about it until 7 last night. Just thought I'd pass the info along, cause if you were like me paying an additional money on top of the 108 bucks was out of hand.

clifflee4mvp

our student section sucks. our student ticket policy sucks, our students who won't spend money on tickets suck. the posts after every game about how bad the student section is piss me off because firecrotch, superfan, and I have been getting there hours in advance for front row seats for several years. However when ESPN comes to town we will have to fight a bunch of tv camera whores for the front row seats. Same guys who wouldn't show up early for any of the other games.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

firecrotch

Quote from: clifflee4mvp on December 17, 2008, 06:41:16 am
our student section sucks. our student ticket policy sucks, our students who won't spend money on tickets suck. the posts after every game about how bad the student section is piss me off because firecrotch, superfan, and I have been getting there hours in advance for front row seats for several years. However when ESPN comes to town we will have to fight a bunch of tv camera whores for the front row seats. Same guys who wouldn't show up early for any of the other games.

Good to see your awake this morning, hows the ice?

jschulte

Can anyone else confirm this besides firecrotch - who only has a dozen posts? 

I suppose I just don't want to go to the door and give my hopes up. 

--  A few weeks ago I had a late night lab.. and got there right at half time, and they wouldn't let me in, meh.

firecrotch

December 17, 2008, 09:03:15 am #22 Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 09:11:19 am by firecrotch
Quote from: jschulte on December 17, 2008, 08:53:59 am

--  A few weeks ago I had a late night lab.. and got there right at half time, and they wouldn't let me in, meh.

Why would I make something like that up, you people make me sick. Like I'd be sitting in a chair laughing at everyone who tries to walk up and get in free. Got an email from Chris Wyrick from the Ath Dept saying 'We are letting students in free with ID--Spread the word!!!!!!'.  Even if they don't they said the ticket office said yesterday that the tickets will be $6 at the door. Which is the price of a water and half a hotdog.

booogaga

wah wah wah , im a student, wah wah wah, im a student and i can not afford 6 dollars a ticket, wah wah wah, get a job. use a loan. get over it. if you are a true hog fan six bucks wont change your mind. life isnt free and neither are sporting events. like one poster said. get a job or call mom.
GO HOGS!

cdclark09

Quote from: firecrotch on December 17, 2008, 09:03:15 am
Why would I make something like that up, you people make me sick. Like I'd be sitting in a chair laughing at everyone who tries to walk up and get in free. Got an email from Chris Wyrick from the Ath Dept saying 'We are letting students in free with ID--Spread the word!!!!!!'. 

Haha, you aren't granted credibility just by signing up for hogville and 13 post isn't going to do it either. 

jschulte

Quote from: booogaga on December 17, 2008, 09:37:16 am
wah wah wah , im a student, wah wah wah, im a student and i can not afford 6 dollars a ticket, wah wah wah, get a job. use a loan. get over it. if you are a true hog fan six bucks wont change your mind. life isnt free and neither are sporting events. like one poster said. get a job or call mom.

you wanna fight

ua_hogs

Quote from: jschulte on December 17, 2008, 08:53:59 am

so if you got there and it was $6 you would turn around and leave?

booogaga

GO HOGS!

jschulte

Quote from: ua_hogs on December 17, 2008, 02:39:47 pm
so if you got there and it was $6 you would turn around and leave?

Depends on if they take credit...

firecrotch

I'll see what I can find on Saturday's game, or will you say that I don't have cred?

jschulte

Quote from: firecrotch on December 17, 2008, 10:47:13 pm
I'll see what I can find on Saturday's game, or will you say that I don't have cred?

I was able to get into the game -- but it was only because I had my name on a list.  I'm not complaining either way.

ua_hogs

Quote from: jschulte on December 17, 2008, 11:18:32 pm
I was able to get into the game -- but it was only because I had my name on a list.  I'm not complaining either way.

??? you must not be a student then, that or you don't have enough hours because they were letting students in for free just as firecrotch said.

TomasPistola

Quote from: firecrotch on December 17, 2008, 10:47:13 pm

For what it's worth (and I realize we are after the fact here) I know firecrotch from other message boards and I've never seen any reason not to trust him.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

jschulte

Quote from: ua_hogs on December 17, 2008, 11:46:51 pm
??? you must not be a student then, that or you don't have enough hours because they were letting students in for free just as firecrotch said.

Well... I suppose firecrotch was correct then.  +1 if I could

firecrotch

Got an email from the guy today saying that the game will be FREE again on Saturday. So tell everyone that's in town to bring the ID and enjoy some good bball  :razorback:

hogsndawgs

Quote from: razorhead94 on December 16, 2008, 08:46:43 pm
Then there needs to be an athletic fee...ticket prices are killing student attendance.

Ticket prices are not killing student attendance. The student section used to be packed when we had a better basketball team. Anyone who wants to go can pay $108 for the season. That's like $5/game, come on.

hogsndawgs

Quote from: firecrotch on December 16, 2008, 11:52:34 pm

Damn, they're scanning i.d.'s at basketball games now!? I still have my student i.d. too, lol, I guess that won't do me any good. ;)

Arazorbackguy1

Why not just charge $12 at the gate for students who don't want to buy season tickets.   Makes much more economic sense to then buy the season or package tickets.  However, if you just want to go to a few, you have the choice.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

clifflee4mvp

well i have 4000 posts and firecrotch is one of my best friends. we have met with the associate athletic director trying to improve our lackluster student section. Post count has nothing to do with fandom as firecrotch is at every football, basketball, and baseball game FAR before 99% of the fans on here. how's that for credibility, and the guy that said he only got in because his name was on the list is full of crap. It was free with a student ID just like FC posted. How bout you thank him for filling you in on the news he received direct from the athletic dept. instead of questioning people for lack of post count cred.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!