Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Love This Team

Started by HogMavFan, December 11, 2008, 10:21:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogMavFan

I don't know why everyone is busting on Pel and this team. After the last 5 years, I am so happy to have a new bunch of players including some that can actually shoot. No more 8-9 minute scoreless droughts. We have potentially our best point guard since Lee Mayberry, the best shooter we have had since Al Dillard, a center that has transformed himself from an out of shape slacker to an inside force that is having an all conference season, a hustling blue collar role player that does the dirty work, and one of the quickest small forwards(Henry)I have seen here in a long time. Our only problem is age and experience but they are getting better every game. The full court press is starting to work. The SEC west looks really weak and I think we will be very competitive and even have a chance at finishing 1st or 2nd in the west. Even if we don't, it is sure the most fun I have had sitting in Bud Walton and watching a team in several years. They are fun, talented, quick and entertaining. I love Pelphrey and wish you guys would have faith and give him some credit...he is bringing back Hogball.

PigWig

WagesHog

HawgnCorona

Quote from: HogMavFan on December 11, 2008, 10:21:51 pm
I don't know why everyone is busting on Pel and this team. After the last 5 years, I am so happy to have a new bunch of players including some that can actually shoot. No more 8-9 minute scoreless droughts. We have potentially our best point guard since Lee Mayberry, the best shooter we have had since Al Dillard, a center that has transformed himself from an out of shape slacker to an inside force that is having an all conference season, a hustling blue collar role player that does the dirty work, and one of the quickest small forwards(Henry)I have seen here in a long time. Our only problem is age and experience but they are getting better every game. The full court press is starting to work. The SEC west looks really weak and I think we will be very competitive and even have a chance at finishing 1st or 2nd in the west. Even if we don't, it is sure the most fun I have had sitting in Bud Walton and watching a team in several years. They are fun, talented, quick and entertaining. I love Pelphrey and wish you guys would have faith and give him some credit...he is bringing back Hogball.

oh perhaps they just need something to complain about?
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

OLDHOG

I agree totally. The future is very bright, have a little faith.

Queen Hog

I couldn't agree more.  I have more hope with this team than I have since '94 / '95.  It's fun watching them.  By the time we are playing the SEC games, they should be a team to be reckoned with!!!
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

Corkscrew Johnson

. The full court press is starting to work.

It was great to see us sprinkle in the full-court press in our last game.  We haven't really seen it yet, but it's Pel's style...and apparently he's going to gradually incorporate it into the gameplan as our players become comfortable with the defensive responsibilities and can play under control.  I can't wait to see us running and gunning again. 

Moore and Clark will blossom defensively once they have the freedom to roam the court during the press and use their athleticism to its potential

sirhog

After the last 5 years, I am so happy to have a new bunch of players including some that can actually shoot. No more 8-9 minute scoreless droughts.

IMO this will be one of the keys to the season. I think that is one of the primary reasons for our road struggles the past few years. We haven't had anyone that could consistently knock down a shot when we were in on of our droughts or when we needed a bucket late in the second half. I don't know if these guys will but I think they are a better overall shooting team than we have had in years.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on December 12, 2008, 03:39:34 pm
Moore and Clark will blossom defensively once they have the freedom to roam the court during the press and use their athleticism to its potential

I don't mean to be critical of any of our players but Clark will never threaten anyone due to his "athleticism"  He'll kick your butt in a game of H-O-R-S-E because he's worked his butt off on his shot and this alone will make other teams respect him as a shooter.  Let's be honest here, he'll never be confused with Fortson in terms of shear athletic ability.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

sadhogfan

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 12, 2008, 08:27:25 pm
I don't mean to be critical of any of our players but Clark will never threaten anyone due to his "athleticism"  He'll kick your butt in a game of H-O-R-S-E because he's worked his butt off on his shot and this alone will make other teams respect him as a shooter.  Let's be honest here, he'll never be confused with Fortson in terms of shear athletic ability.

I think you're confusing "Clark" (tall athletic guy) and "Clarke" (short shooting guard) there, Chief.

Boarcephus

Quote from: sadhogfan on December 12, 2008, 08:37:52 pm
I think you're confusing "Clark" (tall athletic guy) and "Clarke" (short shooting guard) there, Chief.

What's an "E" among friends!  ;)
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

cobra kai

Who said he was as athletic as fortson?  I have seen almost every game this year, and I have been very impressed with Rotnei's quickness with the ball.  granted, we have not seen him handle that much, mainly he's just been a spot up shooter, but from what i've seen the guy is an excellent ball-handler with deceptive quickness.  Even Pel himself has said he's not just a shooter, but an all-around player.  With his work ethic, he will certainly prove that in the years to come. 
With him and fortson, the future looks bright at the guard positions.

SPAL

I am most impressed with Sanchez. I love watching fundamental basketball. This guy exudes fundamentals. He is always in the right place at the right time. He runs the floor well, he catches passes down low and plays smart....What he doesnt do is what im most impressed with. He doesnt go charles thomas and try to bull over people and travel with the basketball or get a charging foul or get stuffed underneath....he has solid post moves and is a good passer. This guy is legit./

hawgrunner

eudell503

I use to throw things during those 8-9 minute scoring droughts. We had no one that could stop the momentum from the other team. When we absolutely needed a basket, Ervin would drive the lane and lose the ball or get his shot blocked.   WE have players with BB IQ, we wont see a 9 minute scoring drought this year.   They have a blast to watch play the game..  WPS>

Brian the Turrible

Finally! Been thinkin it, and you put it into the perfect post.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

blacksuit

Awesome words HogMav, I enjoyed your post. You can look at outcomes (wins) or you can look at process. This year we have the process right. The wins will come.

Coach Obvious

The only think this team needs is time, and a couple of big men. Given these additions, the SEC championship will be ours.

rude1

The optimism is good, but its not real. We have played a very soft early schedule, and have struggled in most of those games, excpet for the really really really bad teams. This team had 26 turnovers against an over matched opponent that wasn't pressing them. That is cause for alarm. Conference will tell the story. If they are not contenders in this very weak SEC, then it will mean that this program is a long ways away from being competitive nationally.

hogman1974

Actually, I'm having fun with this team.  The fun part is they are expected to play poorly at times, so we can just enjoy the season.  Some exciting play.  And not get too crazy when they lose to a superior team.  As long as everyone stays beyond this year, we will be really tough next year.  I believe that.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: sadhogfan on December 12, 2008, 08:37:52 pm

Yeah, I was talking about Andre not Rotnei   :) 

I am a huge fan of Andre's potential.   He has a great frame, but he also moves fluidly.  Coordination and control of your body is critical for a big man to flourish in this system.

mountainhog

Very good group of players.   They will surprise and disappoint this year.

Next year watch out though!

hawgrunner

Quote from: mountainhog on December 13, 2008, 05:52:11 pm
Very good group of players.   They will surprise and disappoint this year.

Agreed!

HamminItUp

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 12, 2008, 11:40:05 pm
I am most impressed with Sanchez. I love watching fundamental basketball. This guy exudes fundamentals. He is always in the right place at the right time. He runs the floor well, he catches passes down low and plays smart....What he doesnt do is what im most impressed with. He doesnt go charles thomas and try to bull over people and travel with the basketball or get a charging foul or get stuffed underneath....he has solid post moves and is a good passer. This guy is legit./

I'm impressed with Sanchez because he goes up strong every time. Sanchez wants to dunk it every time. How many years has it been since we had a hard nose, skilled big man? I liken Sanchez to a more skilled and more in control Charles Thomas.

HogMavFan

I consider my thread a success. 23 responses and only one totally negative response. Finally some positive energy on Hogville. Go Hogs.

hei5manhog

I don't think anyone ever confused Pat Bradley for Brandon Dean, but he did alright for himself.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

PeytonManningSUCKS

December 16, 2008, 08:25:26 am #26 Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:27:47 am by RanSolo
...the best shooter we have had since Al Dillard,

Uhhh, I'm pulling for Rotnei and am so glad we have that kid on our team, but you're saying he's a better shooter than Pat Bradley with that statement.  It should be, we have our best shooter since Pat Bradley."  I'm nit pickin' I know. sorry. ha. 8)

PeytonManningSUCKS

December 16, 2008, 08:29:17 am #27 Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:32:35 am by RanSolo
Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 12, 2008, 11:40:05 pm

I haven't gotten too watch but a couple of games so far this year, but his stat lines continually impresses me.  He's always hanging around a double-double.

olivebranchhog

Quote from: RanSolo on December 16, 2008, 08:25:26 am
Uhhh, I'm pulling for Rotnei and am so glad we have that kid on our team, but you're saying he's a better shooter than Pat Bradley with that statement.  It should be, we have our best shooter since Pat Bradley."  I'm nit pickin' I know. sorry. ha. 8)

I know im nit pickin' but Pat Bradley threw up so many shots that anyone with a lick of talent could set records. Not saying Pat wasn't great, because he was one of the all-time greats, but Al Dillard and Thurman both trump him in the shooter category. I think Rotnei will go down as one of the greats for a school that has seen its fair share of dead eye shooters.
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

heathtits

Michael Washington an inside force? I'll believe that when conference starts. I am pumped about the press though, I really hope these knuckleheads have the brains to do it. 

I like this team fine, and I think most do. It's not a matter of liking them or not. Hog fans are just flat out sick of losing and we have been for way too long.

Skepticism is natural, especially with a new, unproven coach.

Razorvet

I like this quote. "The future is now".

If this holds up and these two end up in the freshman top twenty for the season then I think its safe to say they were under rated and should have been five star candidates.

There are reasons to be excited about Hog ball around here.

EDIT: heres the link.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewcbse.asp

mathhog

Quote from: mountainhog on December 13, 2008, 05:52:11 pm
Very good group of players.   They will surprise and disappoint this year.

:) haha couldnt have said it better myself

rzrbackrob

I'm impressed with how well Michael Washington is playing this year.
Good is the enemy of great

hogninja

Just Play Guys, the future is ahead. ;D :razorback:

hawgrunner

HogMavFan

8-1 and they are figuring out how to play defense now. Much improved the last 3 games especially on D and the press is starting to click.

hawgrunner

Quote from: HogMavFan on December 20, 2008, 11:02:14 pm
8-1 and they are figuring out how to play defense now. Much improved the last 3 games especially on D and the press is starting to click.

Got love it!

chiefsfan

Quote from: Razorvet on December 16, 2008, 09:57:08 pm
I like this quote. "The future is now".

If this holds up and these two end up in the freshman top twenty for the season then I think its safe to say they were under rated and should have been five star candidates.

There are reasons to be excited about Hog ball around here.

EDIT: heres the link.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewcbse.asp

Youll notice in the latest freshmen rankings, they have Fortson ahead of Tyreke Evans, who is a consensus 1st round draft pick after this season
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.