Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There are no moral victories

Started by twistitup, October 15, 2017, 09:48:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

We got out teeth kicked in - we lost to a much better team and there is no way to polish it up. CBB was going to out 'bama - bama when he first arrived and  5 years later - we haven't gained one step on them - not one.

The staff CBB came in with is now going to make a run at 'bama with a different SEC team - leaving us wondering where it all went wrong.

I love our Razorbacks but it was men against boys from snap #1....I appreciate Saban for not trying to pour it on.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

LR_Matt

But we covered the spread.... maybe.... kinda.... depending on when you placed your bet.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

mutt

I think the kids proved somethings to them selfs

JaketheSnake

We got our teeth kicked in, but we weren't the same team that got our teeth kicked in vs USC. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 15, 2017, 10:01:20 am
We got our teeth kicked in, but we weren't the same team that got our teeth kicked in vs USC.
Had we seen THAT team, that effort, from last evening against USCe I can promise we would have walked out of Columbia with a win. Problem is there are no "do overs" this season.

DeltaBoy

They played better and harder!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Wild Bill Hog

Bama could have and did pick the score.  We're just lucky Saban doesn't run up scores.

Tusks

October 15, 2017, 11:17:25 am #8 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:33:59 am by tusked
But they only lost 41-9.  My generation calls that a arse whoopen but things have changed.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 15, 2017, 11:10:51 am
Had we seen THAT team, that effort, from last evening against USCe I can promise we would have walked out of Columbia with a win. Problem is there are no "do overs" this season.
Agreed.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: tusked on October 15, 2017, 11:17:25 am
But they only lost 41-9.  My generation calls that a arse whoopen but thinks have changed.
Are you seeing people call it anything different?  Just bc some can see improvement in a couple areas does not take away from the final score.

twistitup

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 15, 2017, 11:10:51 am

Or any season.....

Promises don't count for much

hogcard1964

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 15, 2017, 10:01:20 am

The plastic and reconstructive surgery we'll have to have, is less extensive than what we had last week.

hogcard1964

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 15, 2017, 11:24:11 am
Are you seeing people call it anything different?  Just bc some can see improvement in a couple areas does not take away from the final score.

The only improvement I saw was a slight uptick in intensity in the 2nd quarter.

We were out gained 500 yds to 225 yds.   

We. Got. Our. Arses. Kicked.

Malvin

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 15, 2017, 11:24:11 am

I see it all over these forums, just look at the thread about applauding the players because they took the field.  It's kind of sick to be honest.  My generation you got called out when you got your arse kicked, when you are embarrassing yourselves and the state you got called out.  This generation we give them a trophy, we applaud them and give them the sense that they are doing what they need to be doing.  I don't understand it.  We will never improve until this attitude changes across the board, I don't want the coach to get in front of the media and talk about how much the team is learning from their mistakes, and how better they are getting are good they are doing.  I want to see him do what Saban does which is call the team for what they are and the situation for what it is. 

Only until we as a program start being honest with ourselves we will start to see any real long term improvement.  Everything else will just be a small patch until the next game with the results being the same at the end of they year.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 15, 2017, 12:46:17 pm
The plastic and reconstructive surgery we'll have to have, is less extensive than what we had last week.
I still agree with this. 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 15, 2017, 12:49:06 pm
The only improvement I saw was a slight uptick in intensity in the 2nd quarter.

We were out gained 500 yds to 225 yds.   

We. Got. Our. Arses. Kicked.
I thought our OL showed a few signs of life, not living and breathing, but they had a small heartbeat for a couple plays.  Kelly played as well as you could expect under the circumstances. Defense played a little more angry. 

Not near enough from any of them, but better than the previous weeks.

Redhogs

Quote from: Malvin on October 15, 2017, 12:55:22 pm
I see it all over these forums, just look at the thread about applauding the players because they took the field.  It's kind of sick to be honest.  My generation you got called out when you got your arse kicked, when you are embarrassing yourselves and the state you got called out.  This generation we give them a trophy, we applaud them and give them the sense that they are doing what they need to be doing.  I don't understand it.  We will never improve until this attitude changes across the board, I don't want the coach to get in front of the media and talk about how much the team is learning from their mistakes, and how better they are getting are good they are doing.  I want to see him do what Saban does which is call the team for what they are and the situation for what it is. 

Only until we as a program start being honest with ourselves we will start to see any real long term improvement.  Everything else will just be a small patch until the next game with the results being the same at the end of they year.
I'm with you man....we are just losers from top to bottom right now...it's a mind set getting deeper and deeper ingrained I fear.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Malvin on October 15, 2017, 12:55:22 pm

My generation calls it dumb when a message board poster believes they have to put down the team in an effort to make them understand that they lost by 30 pts. The team and coaches know that.

My generation also calls people stupid when they believe that what they say on an anonymous message board really changes the attitudes of the players actually playing the game.

Get over yourself... you don't mean jack squat to Cole Kelly or Cameron Curl or Kurt Anderson.

twistitup

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 15, 2017, 01:00:48 pm
My generation calls it dumb when a message board poster believes they have to put down the team in an effort to make them understand that they lost by 30 pts. The team and coaches know that.

My generation also calls people stupid when they believe that what they say on an anonymous message board really changes the attitudes of the players actually playing the game.

Get over yourself... you don't mean jack squat to Cole Kelly or Cameron Curl or Kurt Anderson.

My generation calls people stupid when they think message boards aren't meant for OPINIONS.....ALL OPINIONS.

Get over yourself - what you say doesn't mean jack squat either - we are ALL here, just giving our honest take on the situation. Your opinion means no more or less than any other poster~

Porkchop#1

Quote from: twistitup on October 15, 2017, 09:48:16 am
We got out teeth kicked in - we lost to a much better team and there is no way to polish it up. CBB was going to out 'bama - bama when he first arrived and  5 years later - we haven't gained one step on them - not one.

The staff CBB came in with is now going to make a run at 'bama with a different SEC team - leaving us wondering where it all went wrong.

I love our Razorbacks but it was men against boys from snap #1....I appreciate Saban for not trying to pour it on.
Whaddaya mean no moral victories, Mr. Doug Downer?  Sure there are, we been celebrating the big loss all nite and in to today!

twistitup

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on October 15, 2017, 01:18:26 pm
Whaddaya mean no moral victories, Mr. Doug Downer?  Sure there are, we been celebrating the big loss all nite and in to today!

I've been celebrating - the fact deer hunting has arrived....Razorback football is now officially on the back burner.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on October 15, 2017, 12:41:37 pm
Or any season.....

Typical inane comment. Where exactly did I say anything about promises? I suppose we can place this remark along another pantheon of great wisdom (paraphrashing) "we should never, ever recruit two brothers of the same position" tripe.

Dark Helmet Hog

There are no moral victories but was good to see some fight in the team.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on October 15, 2017, 12:41:37 pm
Or any season.....

BTW with your "deer season has arrived" comment I suspect that most of HV will be totally relieved to (hopefully) experience your long awaited absence. But unlike the old saying your absence would NOT make the heart grow fonder.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: twistitup on October 15, 2017, 01:17:57 pm
My generation calls people stupid when they think message boards aren't meant for OPINIONS.....ALL OPINIONS.

Get over yourself - what you say doesn't mean jack squat either - we are ALL here, just giving our honest take on the situation. Your opinion means no more or less than any other poster~
To the team and coaches, my point means the same as everyone else here... which is jack squat.  That statement wasn't directed at you, it was directed at people that seem to believe their public denouncing of the team means anything, or that saying something positive isn't being harsh enough on these players. 

And yes, message boards are for all opinions.  Apparently unless they are positive opinions bc posters that saw any improvement are being told how ridiculous they are. 

Porkchop#1

Quote from: twistitup on October 15, 2017, 01:17:57 pm

Get over yourself - what you say doesn't mean jack squat either
- we are ALL here, just giving our honest take on the situation. Your opinion means no more or less than any other poster~
That's just a little bit unduly harsh...you should apologize to Mr. Snake, if you can take time out from your stag slaying long enough.

Tejano Jawg

In Bielema's fifth year, I find myself using a FIRST YEAR barometer—how did we play, how was our effort? Not, what was the score? And that's not how to think in year 5. Not a time for "moral victory" thinking.

There's no shame in losing to TCU and South Carolina on the road (in theory, on paper). But our play in those 2 important games was so lackluster, it's getting harder to devote energy trying to understand it.

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on October 15, 2017, 01:30:37 pm
That's just a little bit unduly harsh...you should apologize to Mr. Snake, if you can take time out from your stag slaying long enough.
Ill survive! 

buldozer

Yea we got our teeth kicked in last night, but not as bad as we have other times.... BS is what this moral victory attitude is IMO. This was yet another devastating loss for a coach that should have been fired after the two unexplainable losses at the end of last year. It is what it is, and what it is, is time to change of the head coach.

twistitup

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on October 15, 2017, 01:30:37 pm
Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 15, 2017, 01:25:37 pm
To the team and coaches, my point means the same as everyone else here... which is jack squat.  That statement wasn't directed at you, it was directed at people that seem to believe their public denouncing of the team means anything, or that saying something positive isn't being harsh enough on these players. 

And yes, message boards are for all opinions.  Apparently unless they are positive opinions bc posters that saw any improvement are being told how ridiculous they are. 

Sorry for being a bit harsh....here's to hoping we improve as a football team and get some quality wins this year!

Porkchop#1

Quote from: twistitup on October 15, 2017, 01:37:04 pm
Sorry for being a bit harsh....here's to hoping we improve as a football team and get some quality wins this year!
That was real nice, hope you get a big 10 point and we get a 10 point win over Gussy and his band of plainsmen.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: twistitup on October 15, 2017, 01:37:04 pm
No apology necessary.  Everyone here is passionate about the hogs and wants them to win! 

Tideboy

Hello Hogs.  I've lived in NWA since '93 (WM vendor), and I follow the Hogs and pull for y'all when you aren't playing us.  A couple of observations from last night:

I was impressed with Kelley.  He's a big strong kid with raw talent and grit, that with the proper coaching could make some noise in this league.  A bigger/stronger Mallet.  He made some mistakes, but he picked himself up and came back just as hard.  Tip of the cap to him.  I thought the Ark O and D lines played better than they have so far this season.

Coaching - I obviously don't have a dog in this fight, but I completely understand the frustration about CBB.  Since I've lived here, Bobby Petrino was far and away the best coach y'all have had.  Petrino, like many, is a great coach but a lousy human being.  Had he not hired his mistress using public funds, y'all could have kept him, and let he and his wife settle his philandering privately.  Nothing needed to spill over to the gridiron.  If CBB is in fact a lame duck HC (and I believe he is), then I hope someone on the hill, (trustees, probably not Long) will open the checkbook wide and do a very thorough behind the scenes search for the best up and coming HC.  Not a re-tread.  The money in this state among the Walton's, Hunt's, Tyson's, Stephens, etc. is more than the GDP of most 3rd world countries.  You simply cannot convince me that y'all don't have enough $ to buyout CBB, get whoever you want, and have enough left over to handsomely pay proper and talented coordinators and position coaches.  I'm just not buying it.  Further, I've listened to Rick (unicorns pooping rainbows) Shaefer on Drive Time sports more times than I care to admit, but I categorically reject the notion that Arkansas cannot attract 5 star recruits.  You have top notch facilities in Fayetteville, and it is one of the prettiest parts of the whole state.  The 5 stars have to see a coaching staff capable of grooming them to get the the NFL.

Re: Bama, I don't think we are the #1 team in the country, but after the last two weekends I don't know who is.  We have O-line issues, and have inexplicably lost the ability to field a punt.  I think this is one of those seasons where there are several "good" teams, but no "great" ones.

Just my .02.  Good luck against AU.  Hope y'all win, but don't beat them so badly that they fire Gus.  I want him at AU in perpetuity. 

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/Tideboy/tideboy1.jpg

"For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another" (Job 19:25–27).

gchamblee

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on October 15, 2017, 01:32:29 pm
In Bielema's fifth year, I find myself using a FIRST YEAR barometer—how did we play, how was our effort? Not, what was the score? And that's not how to think in year 5. Not a time for "moral victory" thinking.

There's no shame in losing to TCU and South Carolina on the road (in theory, on paper). But our play in those 2 important games was so lackluster, it's getting harder to devote energy trying to understand it.

I think we would have won the TCU game with Cole and last nights effort.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Tideboy on October 15, 2017, 06:56:35 pm
Hello Hogs.  I've lived in NWA since '93 (WM vendor), and I follow the Hogs and pull for y'all when you aren't playing us.  A couple of observations from last night:

I was impressed with Kelley.  He's a big strong kid with raw talent and grit, that with the proper coaching could make some noise in this league.  A bigger/stronger Mallet.  He made some mistakes, but he picked himself up and came back just as hard.  Tip of the cap to him.  I thought the Ark O and D lines played better than they have so far this season.

Coaching - I obviously don't have a dog in this fight, but I completely understand the frustration about CBB.  Since I've lived here, Bobby Petrino was far and away the best coach y'all have had.  Petrino, like many, is a great coach but a lousy human being.  Had he not hired his mistress using public funds, y'all could have kept him, and let he and his wife settle his philandering privately.  Nothing needed to spill over to the gridiron.  If CBB is in fact a lame duck HC (and I believe he is), then I hope someone on the hill, (trustees, probably not Long) will open the checkbook wide and do a very thorough behind the scenes search for the best up and coming HC.  Not a re-tread.  The money in this state among the Walton's, Hunt's, Tyson's, Stephens, etc. is more than the GDP of most 3rd world countries.  You simply cannot convince me that y'all don't have enough $ to buyout CBB, get whoever you want, and have enough left over to handsomely pay proper and talented coordinators and position coaches.  I'm just not buying it.  Further, I've listened to Rick (unicorns pooping rainbows) Shaefer on Drive Time sports more times than I care to admit, but I categorically reject the notion that Arkansas cannot attract 5 star recruits.  You have top notch facilities in Fayetteville, and it is one of the prettiest parts of the whole state.  The 5 stars have to see a coaching staff capable of grooming them to get the the NFL.

Re: Bama, I don't think we are the #1 team in the country, but after the last two weekends I don't know who is.  We have O-line issues, and have inexplicably lost the ability to field a punt.  I think this is one of those seasons where there are several "good" teams, but no "great" ones.

Just my .02.  Good luck against AU.  Hope y'all win, but don't beat them so badly that they fire Gus.  I want him at AU in perpetuity. 

Thanks for your thoughts/opinions. Yep, would love to paste ole Gussy and company to help the SEC cause. BTW now that we've played I hope ya'll go ahead and run the table all the way through the NC game.

twistitup

Tideboy - great post....I also reject the notion we cannot recruit 5* kids - we are in a good location....all we need is a good coach and more w's....kids want to go to a winning program.