Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Applaud our Players’ Effort

Started by WilsonHog, October 14, 2017, 11:43:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Given the disparity in talent and in coaching acumen between us and the Crimson Tide, that was about as good a showing as we could have hoped for. We played with heart and desire, and as a result we kept it to a 32-point game.

It'll be interesting to see how the quarterback rotation and the offensive line shake up is handled moving forward.

Dark Helmet Hog

Agree. They gave all they could. I applaud them as well. They deserve better coaching.

ronmahony

Yup, thought the same thing. How many times did we see players give up last year? I remember several. Shoot thought some did last week. But I didn't see any of them quit tonight. Doubt that will help much against Auburn, but it does give me some hope for the rest of the games.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

What I saw of the game, the players were trying.  Mental quality was better.  It actually appeared the players were coached a bit.  Surprises me.

jgphillips3

Cole was a difference maker.  We finally put some talent on the O line.  Defense did alright at times and actually took some chances for a change.  I saw enough to believe we can avoid an 0 fer conference.  Still looking at 1-7 or 2-6 at the very best, but that's something I guess.  Kelley to Jones could become Stoerner to Lucas next year with a decent coach.  Some positives.

Malvin

Why applaud them?  They lost, why give them an A for effort?  It's bizarre to me, it's like you are giving them a trophy for coming in last.   We have to stop doing that, these kids need to know that they are not even close to where they need to be to compete in this league.

Remember when Steve went to SC and he called out the fans for applauding after a loss?  He's 100% correct, it's a loser mentality and it has to stop here.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

We were atrocious in the first quarter.  Get rid of that quarter and it's a much better game.  It was nice to see them continue to fight and not get blanked.  Special teams is a disaster.  Offense will be better with more Kelly.  He has the ability to create something out of nothing, he just needs more reps.  We obviously haven't coached up our special teams so I'm not convinced coaching was that great.  It seems the player personnel adjustments was more of a desperation effort and they chose to do this against the number one team in the land.  To me I saw it as a cheap move on BB because it was a no lose situation.  Either way we were gonna lose.  I would have liked to seen these adjustments against USCe. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: Malvin on October 15, 2017, 12:10:40 am
Why applaud them?  They lost, why give them an A for effort?  It's bizarre to me, it's like you are giving them a trophy for coming in last.   We have to stop doing that, these kids need to know that they are not even close to where they need to be to compete in this league.

Remember when Steve went to SC and he called out the fans for applauding after a loss?  He's 100% correct, it's a loser mentality and it has to stop here.

Because the kids didn't sign themselves. Not their fault they were overmatched.

cj_sez

Because they deserve for putting on the Hog uniform, going out there and playing and not giving up. They deserve our support and they deserve a GREAT coaching staff. Watch Cole Kelley's post game remarks...he didn't feel like he was getting a trophy.

moses_007

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 15, 2017, 12:19:04 am
Who signs these letters of intent?  I thought the players do.

WilsonHog

Quote from: moses_007 on October 15, 2017, 12:33:26 am
Who signs these letters of intent?  I thought the players do.

So you suggest our players should have refused to sign with us out of an incredible self-awareness that they weren't as highly rated as what Saban was signing?

moses_007

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 15, 2017, 12:36:13 am
So you suggest our players should have refused to sign with us out of an incredible self-awareness that they weren't as highly rated as what Saban was signing?
No, not saying that.  Just trying to get a clarification about your comment about it not being the players' fault.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: ronmahony on October 14, 2017, 11:48:15 pm
Yup, thought the same thing. How many times did we see players give up last year? I remember several. Shoot thought some did last week. But I didn't see any of them quit tonight. Doubt that will help much against Auburn, but it does give me some hope for the rest of the games.

I think that monster display of heart by Cole Kelley rubbed off, but I am afraid the shotgun offense is not our future. Too many teams are struggling with it in the SEC. Way too many.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

sickboy

Quote from: Malvin on October 15, 2017, 12:52:23 am
So we should applaud them because they put on a uniform?  We should applaud them because they decided to walk out onto the field?  WTH, this isn't little league!  I'm sorry, I can't applaud any of this, the players need to understand just how bad the situation is and they need to carry that pain into the off-season because that is when they can fix this.  Jan 1st, 2018 then need to start the work needed to at least compete in the SEC.

Your Daddy never picked you up when you got the darn kicked out of you?

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: sickboy on October 15, 2017, 12:58:40 am

No. He is just simple enough to believe what he says on a message board has an impact on the players performance.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

rogers-hog

October 15, 2017, 03:05:45 am #15 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:30:12 am by rogers-hog
So our players go out and risk life and limb for your entertainment and you have the balls to sit on your couch and criticize them and the fans who appreciate their efforts.
        Coaches are fair game but the players are taking a lot of grief from so called fans like you.  You realize that no matter who the coaches are next year these are the players we have to work with.  Unless you're proposing that we kick everyone off the team and start over with 25 new scholarship players and 80 walkons

Nouston Hutt

Ill never be happy about a blow out to anybody in a coach's fifth year. #WPS

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 15, 2017, 12:19:04 am
I agree with most of what you said. However, Bama's second touchdown from the 4 yard line, we had 3 guys with clean shots at #34 behind the line of scrimmage. And a player who is supposed to be our fiercest hitter in the secondary tried to make the tackle with a 'cross body block' right out of 1953. Chris Fowler was singing the praises of the Tide RB but Kirk Herbstreit said that was one of the poorer efforts he has seen at tackling. So there were some Razorbacks playing hard and others who were just playing. The only guys that get an A on the team are Jordan Jones and game ball goes to Cole Kelley for completing over 50% of his passes even though he may have gotten to step up into a clean pocket and throw maybe 5 times all night. Kelley has a future and should start the rest of the season. Let the former starter get his body well so he can show the NFL scouts what he can do on the UA's Pro Day.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 14, 2017, 11:43:54 pm
Given the disparity in talent and in coaching acumen between us and the Crimson Tide, that was about as good a showing as we could have hoped for. We played with heart and desire, and as a result we kept it to a 32-point game.

It'll be interesting to see how the quarterback rotation and the offensive line shake up is handled moving forward.
I did not watch the game. Nevertheless, glad to hear that they played as you describe. Curious as to why the players picked this game to give it 110%. I have yet to see them really hustle, fly to the ball, and gang tackle on defense, and have yet to see the O line seem like it knows the plays and gives a dang. The entire team has always looked hesitant, as if they are not sure what to do on each called play.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

parallaxpig

It was nice to see defense put Bama QB on the ground a few times..............
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ricepig

Quote from: moses_007 on October 15, 2017, 12:38:17 am
No, not saying that.  Just trying to get a clarification about your comment about it not being the players' fault.

Ahh, so you're blaming their parents that have to sign on it too.......

gangstaback

Quote from: parallaxpig on October 15, 2017, 08:26:16 am
It was nice to see defense put Bama QB on the ground a few times..............

I agree with this, this was a very good improvement. Another good improvement was that we didn't give up at half time. And the last good point I saw was we had a QB that could lead and get rid of the ball instead of self-flagellating himself.

Praising of a 32 point loss as a whole is otherwise absurd.

hogcard1964

Quote from: gangstaback on October 15, 2017, 08:40:39 am
I agree with this, this was a very good improvement. Another good improvement was that we didn't give up at half time. And the last good point I saw was we had a QB that could lead and get rid of the ball instead of self-flagellating himself.

Praising of a 32 point loss as a whole is otherwise absurd.

They were favored by 31.

Poker_hog

There was lack of effort on the defense on the first 3 drives but they played admirably after that.  WRs played scared initially but also got better as the game went on.

Kelly played off the charts considering he's a fr starting for the first time on the road at the best team in the country.  All things considered a qbr of 98 is outstanding.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Poker_hog

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Ex-Trumpet

Effort was definitely better.  Saw some pressure from the defense that I can't recall from earlier in the year.  CK seemed to bring a bit of swagger that is much needed...O-line play is still suspect (better, yes, but certainly not good by anyone's measure), but that is no surprise at this point.  And I blame the coaching for this, not the players.  There's talent on the o-line.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Kevin

I do like it when the defense blitzes and plays like their hair is on fire
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dagnamit

Well 41-9 put the Hogs in the ball park with Fresno State and Colorado State.

SEC - Vandy and the Rebels got horse whipped. I figure CBB had the best week ever. He kept his mouth shut and head down this week. Smart move.

And NO Bama will not win the NC.

depressed_fan

we covered the point spread big dawg. great things are in the horizon

Vantage 8 dude

I will give the kids "props" for continuing to play hard throughout the game. No one will dispute that the start to the game was totally miserable and even embarrassing. However, unlike in the past when they would have folded up like an accordion, it seemed they continued to play hard.

Look, the Tide is (almost) unarguably the best team in the country. Their talent is beyond comparison, both end and out of the SEC. And yes, I totally agree with Wally (you can't imagine how hard that is for me) that the only team that can likely stop the Tide IS the Tide. They are just a cut or two above everyone else yet again. And with that in mind I have to applaud our kids for continuing to challenge them to the best of our abilities.

May not be a lot of consolation or comfort, however, last evening despite the score and terrible start we continued to play hard. And that INCLUDES the second half. At least this time we came out of the locker room at the half and acted as if we hadn't forgotten what the purpose of the game is. While that's small comfort, and not a lot to "hang your hat on", at least it's a start-and against the best team in the country. IF we can continue to build on that then we might actually have an opportunity to win a game or two against legitimate SEC talent. More than most of would have said this time yesterday.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: dagnamit on October 15, 2017, 08:47:51 am

SEC - Vandy and the Rebels got horse whipped. I figure CBB had the best week ever. He kept his mouth shut and head down this week. Smart move.

While they very well may not, funny things happen virtually every week, I'm just curious. Based on the season thus far who do you see challenging them for the national title? You must have seen something I haven't so far.

The OTR

I agree with Wilson (for once). 

We never gave up, were a play or two from making it closer than the final score indicated. We moved the ball against the best defense in the country and made them earn a victory rather than just rolling over when we got behind. 

Hoggish1

Agreed.

Let's see, since there is an apparent O-Line epiphany in someone's mind, if Ragnow can be moved to LT.

Kelley will continue to mature.

Saw, for the first time in five years, some fire out of Bret.

It appears that we have something to play for because it appears CBB now realizes his career is on the line!

HardCore

I suppose when you consider who they played.  But we still need to drain this swamp.  We have got to find someone who knows how to develop the kids standing at the helm......without a blank look on their face.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Hoggish1

Band nerd (good name, by the way), As a player, I would hate to have 75 K of your type in the stands jeering for me...

hamARchy in the USA

Looked to me like the Tide started the game with purpose and attitude.  The Hogs started as if intimidated and unsure of themselves.

Saban works hard at keeping his team focused and maintaining an unrelenting culture.  Bielema works hard at [ fill in the blank ].

hogcard1964

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 15, 2017, 08:45:39 am
Line moved to 37 by kickoff.

It was 31.5 yesterday morning. 31, 33, 37... doesn't matter, they whipped our arses.

Shrevepork

Those 4 missed tackles on that Bama scoring play got my goat. I turned to the Hallmark Channel to see some aggression.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 15, 2017, 08:54:42 am
I will give the kids "props" for continuing to play hard throughout the game. No one will dispute that the start to the game was totally miserable and even embarrassing. However, unlike in the past when they would have folded up like an accordion, it seemed they continued to play hard.

Look, the Tide is (almost) unarguably the best team in the country. Their talent is beyond comparison, both end and out of the SEC. And yes, I totally agree with Wally (you can't imagine how hard that is for me) that the only team that can likely stop the Tide IS the Tide. They are just a cut or two above everyone else yet again. And with that in mind I have to applaud our kids for continuing to challenge them to the best of our abilities.

May not be a lot of consolation or comfort, however, last evening despite the score and terrible start we continued to play hard. And that INCLUDES the second half. At least this time we came out of the locker room at the half and acted as if we hadn't forgotten what the purpose of the game is. While that's small comfort, and not a lot to "hang your hat on", at least it's a start-and against the best team in the country. IF we can continue to build on that then we might actually have an opportunity to win a game or two against legitimate SEC talent. More than most of would have said this time yesterday.

dagnamit

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 15, 2017, 08:57:00 am
While they very well may not, funny things happen virtually every week, I'm just curious. Based on the season thus far who do you see challenging them for the national title? You must have seen something I haven't so far.
They had issue with the Aggies. Did not look that great against the Hogs. Florida State is not so good. I don't know who will win the NC but it will not be Bama. ACC looks like the best over all conference in the land. I think I would go with their Champion over Bama.

The NewEra

Our defense that all the experts said would take a few years to install looks better each week.

Finally, someone demanded we play an offensive front that makes sense.  They were a huge step up from what we've seen the previous five games.  It's too bad they didn't have the off season and the five games leading up to this one to gel as a unit, but their effort was there all game long.

Kelley inspires this team and the fans with his tenacious play and he has talent to boot.  He should have already played a lot more while Allen was taking massive hits, but at least he's getting some SEC action now.

I applaud the fact this team never folded their tent last night.  What I have a major issue with is how this head coach ever allowed the quit in the team we saw for several prior games to ever get to that point.

I think we have a lot of talent on this team and could be competitive, but the best have to be playing and placed in the right spots to make that happen.  They have to be allowed to gain consistency performing as a unit and the offense hasn't been afforded that.  That is why the defense is getting better each week and the offense was moving backward.

I appreciate the players.  I'm mad as hell at the head coach for allowing it to get to this point.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Shrevepork on October 15, 2017, 09:10:13 am
Those 4 missed tackles on that Bama scoring play got my goat. I turned to the Hallmark Channel to see some aggression.

The black hole of this defense is the linebacker core. They seem to disappear on most plays besides being slow.  The times I watch them specifically they either bite on the motion or get wipe out by an O-lineman. But I'm stating the obvious. Linebacker play has been poor since Bielema got here.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

onebadrubi

Quote from: dagnamit on October 15, 2017, 08:47:51 am

Who is beating them?  Don't make a blanket statement tough guy, give us you ur pick.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 15, 2017, 08:57:47 am
I agree with Wilson (for once). 

We never gave up, were a play or two from making it closer than the final score indicated. We moved the ball against the best defense in the country and made them earn a victory rather than just rolling over when we got behind.
Wilson, with the first sentence well in mind be VERY, VERY careful going forward. ;)

BigBrandonAllenFan

October 15, 2017, 09:47:11 am #45 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:23:03 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Arkansas was over matched. I most always do my pregame rah rah, but there was little doubt as to the outcome.

That said, our coach continues to be terrible. His first mistake was before the game even kicked off. He wins the toss and gives Bama the ball first. On the road in that type of hostile environment, the last thing you do after winning the toss is give the home team the ball and take the chance putting yourself in a hole down 7-0 right from the start. Just a stupid thought process.

Then, I thought the play calling was terrible. Where was the downfield passing game? You have a big arm and you attempt a total of about 3 passes of 20 yards or more. It wasn't like Kelley wasn't protected pretty well, because the o-line played much better in pass protection.  Kelley was pressured some, but Bama had what, two sacks?  With Bama, you have to attempt to stretch the field, and Beilema and Enos didn't do that. You are never going to beat Bama throwing underneath all night.  Saban will simply pack it in on you, just like he always does. 

We just need a coach. This guy can't compete in the SEC. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

JIMMY BOARFFETT

I thought the players played hard for the most part.  As for the quarterback situation, Cole took the beating from Bama and still played pretty well. I think he deserves the starting spot going forward.  I saw way more leadership from him than I've been seeing.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: sickboy on October 15, 2017, 12:58:40 am
His daddy told him to quit being a wimp and get up, changed his legal name to Sue, and as a result he went on to a long NFL career bc he wouldn't accept that he wasn't the toughest SOB on any field.