Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Terry Don Phillips

Started by Cinco de Hogo, October 14, 2017, 08:56:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

From Wikipedia,

Terry Don Phillips
Terry Don Phillips is an American former college athletic administrator. He served as the athletic director at Liberty Baptist College—now known as Liberty University—from 1980 to 1981, at the University of Southwestern Louisiana—now known as the University of Louisiana at Lafayette—from 1983 to 1988, at Oklahoma State University from 1995 to 2002, and at Clemson University from 2002 to 2012.

Terry Don Phillips
Sport(s)   Football
Playing career
1966–1969   Arkansas
Position(s)   Defensive tackle
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1970–1971   Arkansas (GA)
1971–1978   Virginia Tech (assistant)
Administrative career (AD unless noted)
1980–1981   Liberty
1983–1988   Southwestern Louisiana
1988–1994   Arkansas (sr. assoc. AD)
1995–2002   Oklahoma State
2002–2012   Clemson

Note that TDP was at Arkansas as sr. assoc. AD from 1988 to 1994, that was 10+ years before Broyles retired but it was probably when he should have retired.  Phillips was right there waiting and to this day still hasn't got the job.  Wonder if someone could explain that.

Pig in the Pokey

again?  John White, man. That's all you need to know.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hawginbigd1

IDK but growing up I thought it was a foregone conclusion that when JFB got ready TDP would slide right in, maybe he just loves Clemson

King Kong

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 14, 2017, 10:20:49 am
IDK but growing up I thought it was a foregone conclusion that when JFB got ready TDP would slide right in, maybe he just loves Clemson

Dude he retired like 5 years ago

Cinco de Hogo

October 14, 2017, 10:24:37 am #4 Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:39:00 am by Cinco de Hogo
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 14, 2017, 08:56:54 am

I think that Frank Broyles could have named his successor at that point.

I do understand what your saying as it relates to the very end of Broyles tenure though. 

DeltaBoy

We need to can Long and bring Terry Don back home.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GuvHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 14, 2017, 10:32:04 am

I've been saying that for a Long time.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pig in the Pokey

been what I've been screaming.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 14, 2017, 10:24:37 am
I think that Frank Broyles could have named his successor at that point.

I do understand what your saying as it relates to the very end of Broyles tenure though.
Let's just say they were 'leveraged'.
@Slackaveli

The real Hogules

I highly doubt that TDP is coming out of retirement to become our AD, but I'd be willing to bet that he'd be more than happy to provide our search committee with a short list of names. Perhaps some with ties to the UofA............................................

Here's a crazy idea, what about offering the AD job to the current head football coach at FIU? I know he's not ready to retire, but this would get him closer to his parents while providing him with long term income and employment. I know most will scoff and rightly so, but this would be a great choice and he has the Arkansas ties that some here seem to place a high value on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Davis
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

gchamblee

ya this really needed to be a new thread lol. you guys are going to be pissed when jeff long isnt fired.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on October 14, 2017, 11:00:10 am
ya this really needed to be a new thread lol. you guys are going to be pissed when jeff long isnt fired.

I don't expect him to be fired. I believe he will be strongly encouraged to look for another job and will resign.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The real Hogules

Quote from: GuvHog on October 14, 2017, 11:16:50 am
I don't expect him to be fired. I believe he will be strongly encouraged to look for another job and will resign.

It's being reported elsewhere that he (Jeff Long) was raising his skirt, to give the Cornhuskers a peek, and there will be other AD openings around the country. I feel pretty confident that Jeff Long will be "offered a challenge that he just couldn't turn down" by another university, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: The real Hogules on October 14, 2017, 11:23:15 am
It's being reported elsewhere that he (Jeff Long) was raising his skirt, to give the Cornhuskers a peek, and there will be other AD openings around the country. I feel pretty confident that Jeff Long will be "offered a challenge that he just couldn't turn down" by another university, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Well this is a mental image I won't be able to block for quite some time...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

The real Hogules

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 14, 2017, 11:51:09 am
Well this is a mental image I won't be able to block for quite some time...

:) lol

hawganatic

I'm going to guess because we didn't have an opening when he was available.  Not really rocket science here...

sickboy

Hogs-n-Roses

Yes, But I'm not sure he'd be interested at this late date.IE He waited around a long time for that spot..... Will have taken some dear old friends from his playin days who all got together at Franks funeral, to have persuaded him to help. We'll have to wait and see.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The real Hogules on October 14, 2017, 10:59:11 am
I highly doubt that TDP is coming out of retirement to become our AD, but I'd be willing to bet that he'd be more than happy to provide our search committee with a short list of names. Perhaps some with ties to the UofA............................................

Here's a crazy idea, what about offering the AD job to the current head football coach at FIU? I know he's not ready to retire, but this would get him closer to his parents while providing him with long term income and employment. I know most will scoff and rightly so, but this would be a great choice and he has the Arkansas ties that some here seem to place a high value on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Davis

Just make him HC. Butch understands the name of the game is recruiting and would put together a baller staff

007 License To Squeal

Agree 100%.  I thought TDP would replace Coach Broyles......
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

jmark

does jeff long have a buyout clause?
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

ricepig

jmark

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

snoblind

Always thought JFB not turning over the reins to Terry Don in the early 90's was JFB's biggest mistake.

Hoggish1

Yea, White did one ell of a number on Arkansas during his tenure AND I think he's still drawing his full salary, screwing us in his "retirement."

sowmonella

Quote from: sickboy on October 14, 2017, 12:03:16 pm
Is he still alive?

Yes but he's pushing 70 and been retired for years.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

snoblind

Quote from: sowmonella on October 14, 2017, 03:58:11 pm

Earlier today went to the Googles to check that and found these.

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/12/2/1851664/rumors-swirl-about-the-eminent-firing-of-terry-don-phillips

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/11/30/1847498/terry-don-phillips-must-be-removed-as-clemsons-athletic-director

Same author.  He was on a roll back then.  Terry and Dabo survived and now they have a NC. 

Probably the same sources that told our guys that Gruden was coming here.  :)

Tusks

TDP had an issue and back then and wasn't going to be able to replace JFB.  Now maybe enough time has passed and he could be an interim AD to help out during a transition period.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 14, 2017, 08:56:11 am
From Wikipedia,

Terry Don Phillips
Terry Don Phillips is an American former college athletic administrator. He served as the athletic director at Liberty Baptist College—now known as Liberty University—from 1980 to 1981, at the University of Southwestern Louisiana—now known as the University of Louisiana at Lafayette—from 1983 to 1988, at Oklahoma State University from 1995 to 2002, and at Clemson University from 2002 to 2012.

Terry Don Phillips
Sport(s)   Football
Playing career
1966–1969   Arkansas
Position(s)   Defensive tackle
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1970–1971   Arkansas (GA)
1971–1978   Virginia Tech (assistant)
Administrative career (AD unless noted)
1980–1981   Liberty
1983–1988   Southwestern Louisiana
1988–1994   Arkansas (sr. assoc. AD)
1995–2002   Oklahoma State
2002–2012   Clemson

Note that TDP was at Arkansas as sr. assoc. AD from 1988 to 1994, that was 10+ years before Broyles retired but it was probably when he should have retired.  Phillips was right there waiting and to this day still hasn't got the job.  Wonder if someone could explain that.

The 10 + years before Frank retired is the answer. Why should Terry Don wait that long. He had a good job offer from Oklahoma State then moved on to Clemson. He was not universally loved there. But no AD ever is anywhere.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Maddhog

Quote from: tusked on October 14, 2017, 05:47:44 pm
TDP had an issue and back then and wasn't going to be able to replace JFB.  Now maybe enough time has passed and he could be an interim AD to help out during a transition period.

Big issue.   
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

farmhawg

Quote from: gchamblee on October 14, 2017, 11:00:10 am
You mad? Sad your boy Brett is a sorry coach.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

root_hawg

Jeff Long considered one of the top ADs int he country and Arkansas boys want to fire him...

razorshark

Quote from: sowmonella on October 14, 2017, 03:58:11 pm
Still teaching and drawing his salary
I love the smell of napalm in the morning
http://rs218.pbsrc.com/albums/cc30/razorshark50/Napalm.jpg~c100

ShadowHawg

Nope Frank is COMPLETELY to blame. Wouldn't retire when he should have and Phillips got tired of waiting.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 14, 2017, 07:30:07 pm
Nope Frank is COMPLETELY to blame. Wouldn't retire when he should have and Phillips got tired of waiting.

He had no reason to retire at that time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Cure

Quote from: root_hawg on October 14, 2017, 07:04:47 pm
Jeff Long considered one of the top ADs int he country and Arkansas boys want to fire him...

Yeah it's weird.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

(notOM)Rebel123

Home? I thought he was from Texas?
Doubt he'd want the job since he's 70.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HardCore

Then those University Gulfstream's will be keeping the runway hot at XNA flying in here to acquire his services.  Shouldn't be a problem at all.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

ricepig

Quote from: HardCore on October 15, 2017, 08:38:49 am
Then those University Gulfstream's will be keeping the runway hot at XNA flying in here to acquire his services.  Shouldn't be a problem at all.

It wouldn't look right to sign a contract extension and then leave, would it?

HardCore

Quote from: ricepig on October 15, 2017, 08:42:21 am
It wouldn't look right to sign a contract extension and then leave, would it?

Who would give him a contract extension and why?  We are the laughing stock of College Football right now.  I care a whole hell of a lot more about that than I do Jeff Long's career path.  So if NE wants him, I hope they take him.  I have never cared for NOT having an Arkansan or an Arkansas Alumni in that position.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

ricepig

Quote from: HardCore on October 15, 2017, 08:58:54 am
Who would give him a contract extension and why?  We are the laughing stock of College Football right now.  I care a whole hell of a lot more about that than I do Jeff Long's career path.  So if NE wants him, I hope they take him.  I have never cared for NOT having an Arkansan or an Arkansas Alumni in that position.

Neither Barnhill or Broyles were native Arkansans or alums.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 15, 2017, 06:46:22 am
He had no reason to retire at that time.

Bs

Frank was in his 60's. His last 20 years were disastrous for the 2 major sports. He harassed Nolan mercilessly and had such a horrible reputation as a meddler we could no longer attract any sort of proven coaches.

sowmonella

Quote from: razorshark on October 14, 2017, 07:09:03 pm
Still teaching and drawing his salary
Sorry. Retired from being an AD in 2012.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Tusks

Quote from: Maddhog on October 14, 2017, 07:00:42 pm

Big issue.   

Yeah I was trying to be discreet.

It's another 'missed opportunity' of razorback football.

Hoggish1

Quote from: tusked on October 14, 2017, 05:47:44 pm

All we need in the coming months is an interim AD; someone with football knowledge that is willing to give us about 6 months of his valued time.

Tusks

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 15, 2017, 11:00:21 am
All we need in the coming months is an interim AD; someone with football knowledge that is willing to give us about 6 months of his valued time.

It sure makes sense to me but since when has the football program made sense.

snoblind

Can we talk about the "big issue'?  Have a vague memory of something but can't remember

hogcam

Not saying he should or should not be fired, but the only reason that he is considered a top AD is because he fired Petrino and took a stand for integrity. I agreed with the decision, but I do believe that is the only reason why he became well respected.

HardCore

Quote from: hogcam on October 15, 2017, 05:11:08 pm
Not saying he should or should not be fired, but the only reason that he is considered a top AD is because he fired Petrino and took a stand for integrity. I agreed with the decision, but I do believe that is the only reason why he became well respected.

Not respected enough for Nebraska, apparently.  They actually care about Winning.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 15, 2017, 10:39:59 am
Bs

Frank was in his 60's. His last 20 years were disastrous for the 2 major sports. He harassed Nolan mercilessly and had such a horrible reputation as a meddler we could no longer attract any sort of proven coaches.

So being in your 60's is bad. Damn I didn't know I was bad. He had no reason to retire because he wasn't in trouble of getting fired.