Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Say it ain't so Mr. Long (Nebraska Rumors)

Started by harrisburghog, October 13, 2017, 03:03:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

harrisburghog

October 13, 2017, 03:03:10 pm Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:13:57 pm by WilsonHog
Image-1.jpg       Long to Nebraska may be gaining steam or is he pulling the same thing he did  with the Texas situation to get a raise?

hawgon

Surely, America's AD ... the Integrity King of the NCAA can get that little ol Nebraska job if he wants it, right?

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

rhames

Long leaving leaves Arkansas's chances of firing Bret or firing Bret and then hiring a good coach slim. IMO
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hogcard1964

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 03:08:05 pm
Long leaving leaves Arkansas's chances of firing Bret or firing Bret and then hiring a good coach slim. IMO

He shouldn't have anything to do with the next hire anyway.  Get 'em both out of here.

WilsonHog

Dan Wolken: "Speaking of Arkansas, athletics director Jeff Long is a name that has gained traction recently in the Nebraska athletics director search, along with Iowa State's Jamie Pollard. Oregon's Rob Mullens has also been mentioned by people in the industry. Virginia is the other big athletics director opening at the moment, and one name that has consistently been brought up by those plugged into the search is Army's Boo Corrigan."

hogcard1964

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 13, 2017, 03:11:22 pm
Dan Wolken: "Speaking of Arkansas, athletics director Jeff Long is a name that has gained traction recently in the Nebraska athletics director search, along with Iowa State's Jamie Pollard. Oregon's Rob Mullens has also been mentioned by people in the industry. Virginia is the other big athletics director opening at the moment, and one name that has consistently been brought up by those plugged into the search is Army's Boo Corrigan."

+1000

Things are looking up.

rhames

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 13, 2017, 03:11:03 pm
He shouldn't have anything to do with the next hire anyway.  Get 'em both out of here.

Ok Long leaves, it's the end of the season we have no AD yet and the BOT go ahead and let Bret loose......what coach worth a damn is going to leave his current situation to come to a job where he won't know who his boss is.

Because it will take a month or so to find a replacement for long

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

harrisburghog

Nebraska: We alluded to this last week; and now Dan Wolken has published the same. Sources told FootballScoop Arkansas AD Jeff Long, along with several other sitting ADs, had signaled his interest in the same position at Nebraska. Wolken says "Long is a name that has gained traction recently" in the search and adds Iowa State Jaime Pollard and Oregon's Rob Mullens as others who have been mentioned in connection with the search.

jst01

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 03:13:25 pm

Ok Long leaves, it's the end of the season we have no AD yet and the BOT go ahead and let Bret loose......what coach worth a damn is going to leave his current situation to come to a job where he won't know who his boss is.

I'd bet by the time the public hears of Long leaving, the BOT would have the replacement selected and signed.

WilsonHog

You do make a good point. We do need Long or his replacement in the AD's chair by December 1 - which is
about six weeks from now. These top shelf candidates whose names are being thrown around aren't likely to come when the AD they're going to work for isn't even in place.

Pig Power

If Long goes to Nebraska would he take CBB with him...? HHMmmmm

Tigaman

You're assuming Long leaves at the end of the season. If he takes the job, it's going to be prior to the end of the season. Nebraska will want him to be there before the end of the season so they can get the coaching search on as soon as possible.

rhames

Quote from: jst01 on October 13, 2017, 03:15:23 pm
I'd bet by the time the public hears of Long leaving, the BOT would have the replacement selected and signed.

Just like Nebraska did??? Oh wait......

rhames

Quote from: Tigaman on October 13, 2017, 03:16:34 pm
You're assuming Long leaves at the end of the season. If he takes the job, it's going to be prior to the end of the season. Nebraska will want him to be there before the end of the season so they can the coaching search on as soon as possible.

I wasn't assuming that at all actually.

jst01

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 03:16:37 pm

Just like Nebraska did??? Oh wait......

don't use their stupidity as a reason the AR BOT would make the same mistake. Not every decision maker is an idiot in these high up positions.

rhames

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 13, 2017, 03:15:55 pm
You do make a good point. We do need Long or his replacement in the AD's chair by December 1 - which is
about six weeks from now.

Exactly.

jkstock04

Quote from: Pig Power on October 13, 2017, 03:16:10 pm
If Long goes to Nebraska would he take CBB with him...? HHMmmmm
Pipe dream...but boy that would be a clean break.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rhames

Quote from: jst01 on October 13, 2017, 03:17:48 pm
don't use their stupidity as a reason the AR BOT would make the same mistake. Not every decision maker is an idiot in these high up positions.

So when has an AD ever been named the same day or day after his predecessor left?

Assuming it was a termination or leaving for new job.

If long were to leave tomorrow it would be mid November, at the absolute earliest, before we have a new AD

Cutting it close.

SemperHawg

If Long is shopping potential landing spots due to the writing being on the wall, then I would hope the BOT and University are already shopping his replacement.

longpig

Long is waaaaaaay overqualified for the Nebraska job.  It pays about the same but Nebraska is hardly competitive in any other sports besides football. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

rhames

Quote from: SemperHawg on October 13, 2017, 03:22:37 pm
If Long is shopping potential landing spots due to the writing being on the wall, then I would hope the BOT and University are already shopping his replacement.

Could be possible.

Could be possible long is trying to get a raise with his new contract too

aloha_kid

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 13, 2017, 03:11:22 pm

So, one of the most respected ADs in college sports is on the Hill, and has been, but hog fans fail to realize it or appreciate it.

King Kong

jst01

I cant remember how it all went down here at the end of 2007 when Frank retired and Nutt left. What was the timeframe for when Long was hired and then he hired Petrino?  I know all that happened pretty quickly from the end of '07 to beginning of '08.

rhames

Quote from: aloha_kid on October 13, 2017, 03:25:27 pm
So, one of the most respected ADs in college sports is on the Hill, and has been, but hog fans fail to realize it or appreciate it.

We got a Christmas gift yesterday with the contract news

We ought to be careful what we wish for. The best case for the hogs to get a quality coach is for long to be the AD. IMO of course.

rhames

Quote from: jst01 on October 13, 2017, 03:25:51 pm
I cant remember how it all went down here at the end of 2007 when Frank retired and Nutt left. What was the timeframe for when Long was hired and then he hired Petrino?  I know all that happened pretty quickly from the end of '07 to beginning of '08.

That's different. Retirement is different than an sudden end of employment.

EastexHawg

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 03:08:05 pm

No, it's exactly the opposite.  You get rid of Long and let the new AD pick his coach.

Long has no great, inherent ability to attract coaches.  All he really has really had is access to a boatload of Arkansas money.  Any competent AD could do the same...actually better.

porkrindjimmy

Gonna end up with Tim Horton....

PRJ

The Hawg Marshal

Long isn't happy that his hand is being forced regarding Bret. Of course he's looking for another gig. All we can do is hope that the BOT has a plan.

WilsonHog

Quote from: jst01 on October 13, 2017, 03:25:51 pm

Long was hired at UA on Sept. 11, 2007. Petrino was hired on December 12, 2007.

NoogaHog

Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

rhames

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 13, 2017, 03:28:08 pm
No, it's exactly the opposite.  You get rid of Long and let the new AD pick his coach.

Long has no great, inherent ability to attract coaches.  All he really has really had is access to a boatload of Arkansas money.  Any competent AD could do the same...actually better.

You have to have an ad. You missed my point.

I'm not arguing on if Long has done a good job or that he hasn't. I'm saying that any chance of hiring a quality coach gets pretty slim is Long leaves soon.

The Hawg Marshal

PorkRinds

porkrindjimmy

EastexHawg

Quote from: aloha_kid on October 13, 2017, 03:25:27 pm

Of course other programs are going to talk up a pair of losers at Arkansas, Jeff Long and Bret Bielema.  If LSU is considering firing Ed Orgeron and replacing him with Pete Carroll I'll take out a full page ad in the Times Picayune extolling the virtues of the caveman.

rhames

porkrindjimmy

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 03:31:43 pm

I'm not sure if you're mocking me or not lol

Not at all mocking you....

There are some who think lil Timmy would be perfect and I think that is ridiculous.

PRJ

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 03:29:45 pm

You have to have an ad. You missed my point.

I'm not arguing on if Long has done a good job or that he hasn't. I'm saying that any chance of hiring a quality coach gets pretty slim is Long leaves soon.

Ridiculous!!! 
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

ricepig

Hogs-n-Roses

Been on these Nebraska boards the last couple of days and its a mixed bag of replies from posters when the Jeff Long idea comes up. Some skepticism, those folks post his record here. Some apathy, just hire someone for godsake we need an AD and he was chairmanof the......( the Jeff Long bolstering his own name is fulfilled here) academics are great.....Some all in, they just like him and would be open to him bring Bielema(small percentage),Some dead against, post his conference record, an idiot to fire Petrino..... JLSmith..... Fractured fanbase....(small percentage).

rhames

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 13, 2017, 03:33:15 pm
Not at all mocking you....

There are some who think lil Timmy would be perfect and I think that is ridiculous.

PRJ

I'm in the ridiculous camp

Hogs-n-Roses

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 13, 2017, 03:35:48 pm
Been on these Nebraska boards the last couple of days and its a mixed bag of replies from posters when the Jeff Long idea comes up. Some skepticism, those folks post his record here. Some apathy, just hire someone for godsake we need an AD and he was chairmanof the......( the Jeff Long bolstering his own name is fulfilled here) academics are great.....Some all in, they just like him and would be open to him bring Bielema(small percentage),Some dead against, post his conference record, an idiot to fire Petrino..... JLSmith..... Fractured fanbase....(small percentage).
Thing is they will have about as much input in the selection as we do here.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 13, 2017, 03:36:54 pm
I already have,don't discount the idea.

I deeply discount the idea, if needed to, I'll go over his head and talk to Gene.....

WilsonHog

Not saying Tim Horton is a viable candidate, but I can assure you that there are people out there who want to re-establish an Arkansas presence in our athletic department.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 13, 2017, 03:38:02 pm
Thing is they will have about as much input in the selection as we do here.
I know,just passing on info.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2017, 03:38:56 pm
I deeply discount the idea, if needed to, I'll go over his head and talk to Gene.....
Maybe but that's not over his head.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 13, 2017, 03:39:41 pm
Not saying Tim Horton is a viable candidate, but I can assure you that there are people out there who want to re-establish an Arkansas presence in our athletic department.

As AD or HC, or which he has exactly zero experience at either??