Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ref's for Yesterday's Game

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, January 14, 2018, 02:44:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

May have been discussed in the game thread, but didn't have the fortitude to wade through that to see.

I thought the ref's for the most part called a pretty good game.  While we attempted 11 more FTs than Mizzou the actual fouls called were 22 against MU and 20 against us so pretty even. I think our disparity in attempts came from finally going inside more than usual.   

I'm sure they missed a few here or there but for the most part I felt they let the teams play and the game itself was more enjoyable than a typical SEC whistle fest with a lot of anticipation whistles and AYFSM calls.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

rzrbackramsfan

Yea, it was much better than Ms St and Auburn.  I thought we had some clean blocks called for fouls though, and the cylinder calls were ridiculous.   

hogfanny

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 14, 2018, 02:46:54 pm
Yea, it was much better than Ms St and Auburn.  I thought we had some clean blocks called for fouls though, and the cylinder calls were ridiculous.
That cylinder schit is a disgrace to the rules committee. Anything to punish defense and allow games outcome to be determined by zebras.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 14, 2018, 02:46:54 pm
Atrocious is what those cylinder calls were. Gafford had 2clean... No ULTRA CLEAN blocks that went for fouls but other than that, pretty good officiating.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

alohawg

I hate watching refs anticipate and call fouls rather than just react to what actually occurs, like Gaffords blocks.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

rzrbackramsfan

I believe the last foul on Gafford, Gafford went for a block, missed the ball and flew past the shooter, not hitting the shooter either, and they called a foul on Gafford

onebadrubi

There were some extremely late calls that were bogus, there were more than one anticipation calls that were BS, and if you noticed in the first half there were some real cheap calls on the hogs because the refs wanted to stop the game.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfanny on January 14, 2018, 03:58:11 pm
That cylinder schit is a disgrace to the rules committee. Anything to punish defense and allow games outcome to be determined by zebras.

No, its anything to help the offense because fans find 57-55 games boring.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 14, 2018, 05:01:58 pm

How does aggressive defense slow down scoring? Either they'll break it and score real fast or we'll steal it and get a quick transition bucket. 

I think refs just want conservative games where everyone stays away from each other and shoots it with friendly rebounds and no blocks because it eliminates a lot of judgement calls and makes their life easier. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogsanity on January 14, 2018, 05:01:58 pm

You could make this argument in football.  Good defensive basketball is not boring unless you are Virginia and they intentionally hold the ball on offense till like 5 seconds on the shot clock.  If anyone didn't enjoy that basketball game's tempo and excitement (excluding the dumb rotations mike used) then you are not going to find a better edge of your seat game. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 14, 2018, 05:06:46 pm
How does aggressive defense slow down scoring? Either they'll break it and score real fast or we'll steal it and get a quick transition bucket. 

I think refs just want conservative games where everyone stays away from each other and shoots it with friendly rebounds and no blocks because it eliminates a lot of judgement calls and makes their life easier.

I think refs make calls to catch their breath and get a drink as well.  They also anticipate things

Kevin

I wonder how Missouri fans felt about the refs
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Kevin on January 14, 2018, 05:24:40 pm

I read their bored, a lot of them didn't agree with the illegal screens.

jjdlc

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 14, 2018, 05:42:36 pm
I read their bored, a lot of them didn't agree with the illegal screens.

Out of all the calls to question, those were blatant.  Heck, the one that left Beard on the floor for a minute looked like something you would see in a pro wrestling ring rather than on a basketball court, dude physically threw his shoulder into him.

mizzouman

Most say that the refs hurt us in the paint. Didn't let them play. Porter and Tilmon fouling out on some questionable calls.

Personally, I never blame the refs. Just gotta play through it. Bad calls are part of the game for both teams.

Corkscrew Johnson

They sat back and shot 3's all game.  Not really comparable to miss state when we attacked the rim for 40 minutes.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AlmaHog2011

Get back to me when it's like 40-12 on free throws
...Mizzou didn't get cheated like we did at Miss State. You defenders of other teams make me sick.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: mizzouman on January 14, 2018, 06:02:32 pm
Most say that the refs hurt us in the paint. Didn't let them play. Porter and Tilmon fouling out on some questionable calls.

Personally, I never blame the refs. Just gotta play through it. Bad calls are part of the game for both teams.

When someone shoots 40 and your team shoots like 12 just shut up. They weren't cheated in fact in the second half the refs helped Mizzou a bunch. Could have been atleast 4 other calls where the Mizzou bigmen were throwing cheap shot elbows at Gafford.

mizzouman

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 14, 2018, 07:17:01 pm
When someone shoots 40 and your team shoots like 12 just shut up. They weren't cheated in fact in the second half the refs helped Mizzou a bunch. Could have been atleast 4 other calls where the Mizzou bigmen were throwing cheap shot elbows at Gafford.

Tell other fans that. I'm not saying that. Refs didn't cost us this game nor did it cost you the MSST game. People who blames refs look childish.

Beaverfever

Refs just called it really tight.  I thought we did much better at defending without fouling.  Hall is naturally a very good defender.  The only call that surprised me was the foul they called on Bailey went he jumped all over the mizzou kid going after the loose ball.  That's 100% a foul I was just surprised because they basically never call that anymore.

bighog2255

An OP praising the refs for calling an "even" game turns into ref bashing again. You guys never quit. So annoying

GoshenHog

I watched a lot of games Saturday (flu).  College basketball has a "refs standing around the TV monitor" problem.

hogsanity

Quote from: GoshenHog on January 15, 2018, 11:20:59 am
I watched a lot of games Saturday (flu).  College basketball has a "refs standing around the TV monitor" problem.

that's what happens in any sport that just throw open the door to review. The old NFL way was the best, 2 challenges per team. No booth initiated reviews, no review by the refs without a coach's challenge. In bball the worst is the review to see if it should be a f1 or f2 or common foul. If it was no OBVIOUSLY a f1 or f2 then just cal it a common and go on.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE