Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about John Scott Jr as our D-Line coach

Started by hoghevn, January 11, 2018, 09:02:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog N Bama

Quote from: opineonswine on January 12, 2018, 08:58:58 pm
So much more professionalism with this staff.  I'm encouraged.  It's still Arkansas...and we have our limitations but anything is possible.
if you were a salesman, you would be eating baloney

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 12, 2018, 10:02:21 pm

^^^ This.. it's shocking that Scott is still here. I think someone else turned us down and he was plan B. Not saying he won't do well, but Allen was handling his recruits for a while.

Allen handled his recruits when he was dismissed with the others, but he stayed in contact. Read the posted article.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jan/11/signees-comment-new-arkansas-coaching-staff/

Hog N Bama

Quote from: The NewEra on January 13, 2018, 08:39:57 am
Our former head coach would have been in front of the media 10 times already announcing new coaches to the staff.  CCM didn't care what reporters like those at SEC Country were writing, clamoring for the coaches names to be revealed.  He was busy dotting I's and crossing tee's, while simultaneously recruiting for the 2018, 2019 and 2020 classes.  The big difference we are already witnessing is the former guy was a talker and the new coach is a Do'er.  Morris is going to do things at his pace and on his time line. 

I think we are going to see the bar on our limitations raised by this coach.
I couldn't have said it better but I wouldn't have included limitations in the comment

The NewEra

Quote from: Hog N Bama on January 13, 2018, 08:46:41 am
I couldn't have said it better but I wouldn't have included limitations in the comment

I think you're right.  A better phrase would have been "this coach doesn't believe in limitations".  He said as much in his first meeting with the team.  "You ask me why, I say why not". 

Hou-Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 12, 2018, 08:55:59 am
Just so everyone is working with accurate information, it was Bobby Allen that got Fulwider to flip.  Dude needs a lifetime achievement award or something for all he's done for this program.
sorry, but isn't that called a paycheck?

zebradynasty

Quote from: The NewEra on January 13, 2018, 08:23:33 am
I'm no defensive expert, but when I was watching games last year it appeared to me our greatest weakness against the run was not our D-line play, but linebacker and safety issues.

The ENTIRE defensive unit was below standard. The DL rarely got penetration and seemed to be more content with just occupying blockers and let the LB's make the plays. As predicted since we don't have playmakers at the LB position, we just ended up getting pushed around the filed.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 13, 2018, 08:08:23 am
I can guarandamntee you our DL will look a ton better with the same players this season.

When your job is to "occupy blockers", you can't make plays. Chat is wants DL who are disruptive, and the D plays in attack mode.  These guys will be going forward instead of catching OL.
THIS THIS THIS. Our DL was forced to play qb contain instead of making plays. The linebackers were forced to sit back and let the play come to them, 7 yards down the field. It was a permanent prevent defense that was doomed to fail
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 13, 2018, 09:32:08 am
THIS THIS THIS. Our DL was forced to play qb contain instead of making plays. The linebackers were forced to sit back and let the play come to them, 7 yards down the field. It was a permanent prevent defense that was doomed to fail

Always puzzled me that BB never seem to understand that if you don't have players to run a defensive scheme most of the time the scheme won't work. No way, No how was his defensive scheme going to work without great LB's. But all the parts must fit and work together.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 13, 2018, 09:30:59 am
The ENTIRE defensive unit was below standard. The DL rarely got penetration and seemed to be more content with just occupying blockers and let the LB's make the plays. As predicted since we don't have playmakers at the LB position, we just ended up getting pushed around the filed.
THAT WAS THEIR JOB! What really pissed me off is Bielema lied through his teeth about what the 3-4 would be then allowed the blame to fall on the players.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 13, 2018, 09:39:42 am
Always puzzled me that BB never seem to understand that if you don't have players to run a defensive scheme most of the time the scheme won't work. No way, No how was his defensive scheme going to work without great LB's. But all the parts must fit and work together.
It could've worked, well it couldve worked better anyway. The biggest reason for failure was his refusal to blitz. DL occupy OL to free up LBs so that they can make plays in the backfield. Problem is that blitz never came and opponents could pretty much run wherever they wanted to

Hoggish1

Quote from: hogs7199 on January 12, 2018, 07:47:33 am
You are seriously questioning that Chavis "know's what he's doing"?  The man has more than proven himself as one of the best DC's in the country over the last 30 years.  You don't think Chavis knows what he is doing?  Flesh that out for us, please...

You missed the sarcasm, didn't you?

Read what hoghevn wrote, that I was commenting about, once more, and see if you can understand his logic and the reason I said what I did:

"Given he was our D-Line coach last year, why was he retained?  I know Chavis knows what he's doing but of all the position coaches, that one surprises me given our struggles there of all places."

The NewEra

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 13, 2018, 09:30:59 am

The DL was doing what they were told to do, which was to occupy the blockers. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on January 12, 2018, 01:37:16 pm
Literally three years ago LSU and A&M were in a bidding war for his services. He has both played and then coached in the SEC for the majority of his career, and been considered  one of the best defensive minds in football for the last 25 years or so.  It is tiring for people to look at his last three years and question whether or not he knows what he is doing.

You too missed the sarcasm and the irony, didn't you?

Read what hoghevn wrote, that I was commenting about, once more, and see if you can understand his logic and the reason I said what I did:

"Given he was our D-Line coach last year, why was he retained?  I know Chavis knows what he's doing but of all the position coaches, that one surprises me given our struggles there of all places."

LZH

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 13, 2018, 09:42:57 am
It could've worked, well it couldve worked better anyway. The biggest reason for failure was his refusal to blitz. DL occupy OL to free up LBs so that they can make plays in the backfield. Problem is that blitz never came and opponents could pretty much run wherever they wanted to

We have heard over and over and over and over how our defense is gonna be 'attacking'. Will these guys actually come thru?

younghog

Quote from: The NewEra on January 13, 2018, 08:20:48 am
I find it puzzling how many people read this board religiously, but don't read the articles such as the one's posted above, or watch the video interviews so easily obtainable in this electronic age.  Hogville is is a good place for random opinion, but there are so many reliable sources of information available out there.

I feel ya.. ~I really do
GO HOGS

zebradynasty

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 13, 2018, 09:42:57 am

Don't think it would have worked most teams (in college and NFL) the 3-4 is an attacking defense even if the DL just occupies blockers. We never had the LB's to run a 3-4. I will give BB credit that he knew this but we were getting gut like a fish in 4-3 also so...His early recruiting didn't show enough success at landing 3-4 LB's either.

hogfansince79

Quote from: LZH on January 13, 2018, 09:48:33 am
We have heard over and over and over and over how our defense is gonna be 'attacking'. Will these guys actually come thru?

I don't know for sure, but here is an article I posted the other day about Chavis's defensive philosophy...

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=655410.0

I like it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin