Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting Excited for Next Year

Started by Razorfox, January 09, 2018, 12:17:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 10, 2018, 11:32:47 am
I think NFL scouts more times than not are better judges of speed and athleticism than you or me.  This current crop may turn out better, but I don't think suggesting we haven't had some solid skill position players as of late is accurate.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 11:10:02 am
It has been quite a few seasons since we have had the speed and athleticism we will have at the skill positions.  If I had more confidence in our defense and new offensive staff not to have an SEC learning curve I would be more optimistic. 

Didn't say we haven't had some.  We have not had a group like Jackson, Hammonds, Jones, Martin, Nance, Hayden, Pettway and Warren in a long time.

AC and JWill were good college RBs.  AC best feet in traffic of any back we have had in decades.  But on the outside, we didn't scare teams too much.  We could scheme some big plays every now and then.  But players like Hatcher and Morgan didn't scare teams where they thought if they missed a tackle "oh darn". 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: go hogues on January 10, 2018, 11:28:49 am
We certainly can disagree and you often point out legitimate shortcomings - I even agree with you more than I used to. Many of us know and realize the shortcomings and even discuss them.
The annoying thing is playing devil's advocate in every thread you post in. I know several of these types of people in real life and they are annoying AF. "The sky is blue." "Well, actually..."

Don't be that guy.

I am not playing devil advocate, I post what I truly believe. If I believed they were a 9+ win team next year, I'd say so. Sure, they could win 9, they could win 15, but I believe the most likely out come is 7 or 8 before the bowl.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 10:21:57 am
What you are talking about is someone not agreeing with you and you don't like it. Just like your line about me hurling insults at board members, and then it took someone about 2 minutes to find 3 examples of you doing that exact thing.

I could not care less if people agree with me or not, it is a message board where people post their opinions. My opinion is that the program is a 7-8 win most year program that WILL jump up and have a season or 2 far above that level, then go back to that to that level for a few seasons, then jump back up again. What is wrong with that? That is still better than 70 or so teams in FBS can hope for, and is what all but about 8-10 programs face.

Wrong about insults. Ego got snarky yesterday in another thread yesterday, though he denies it. I couldn't care less what he and his poor sports buds think, anyway. There was nothing directed at a poster in my comment about constantly having to keep revisionists from labeling the SWC as the Mountain West or the AAC. I said the statement itself is crap, and it is. Those who lived through the SWC know that. Those too young to remember don't need to believe it.

You and I agree that Arkansas is, on average, over a century a 7-8 win team in  12-13 game season. I post numbers here frequently that are easily researched. The numbers show that Auburn is an 8 win team and Alabama is a 9 win team.

The SEC years tend to support your two good years and back to average theory. You never acknowledge the coaching problem during those years. Those of us who lived through Broyles/Holtz/Hatfield and saw the Crowe crash understand that much of our SEC track record is due to subpar head coaches. We readily admit that some of it is also due to a tougher schedule. 

Anytime one of us with experience posts the reasons why Arkansas fans should be proud of its tradition and should have hope that we can become highly competitive again with the right coach, you jump in with (1) we were never as good as we say we were, (2) Arkansas has a terrible location and will never be able to recruit effectively against our competition, and (3) Arkansas high school football and athletes are terrible.

As far as the 60s-80s, the rankings speak for themselves. That applies to Arkansas and the SWC.

As for UA's location, it's not going anywhere. Recruiting rankings suggest the comparative challenge vs. more favorably located SEC schools. Do we really need 247 to tell us that?

As for Arkansas high school football, it needs to improve. It is not nearly as poor as you say it is, but it could be better. Consolidating small districts and getting kids involved in football earlier, especially in Little Rock, would help. Little Rock has bigger needs to address in its public education system, and if those issues are met football in public high schools in central Arkansas will improve as well.

There's really no need to reply to every positive post with the reasons Arkansas will never be more than an average football team. The fact is that we have been for sustained periods of time. Even if you disagree, we are all aware of the challenges. Most of us who are mid-50s and older have a lot to say about Arkansas's potential. We've seen it and are frustrated with the negativity and especially with the notion that we are stuck in the SEC cellar. The last six years are a 60 year trough.  Arkansas is still historically about 7 or 8 in the SEC and with A&M in the West behind Alabama, LSU and Auburn. That doesn't mean we have no chance to win the division or the conference.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

go hogues

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 11:39:20 am
I am not playing devil advocate, I post what I truly believe. If I believed they were a 9+ win team next year, I'd say so. Sure, they could win 9, they could win 15, but I believe the most likely out come is 7 or 8 before the bowl.
K
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

kp72204

Quote from: Razorfox on January 09, 2018, 12:44:15 pm
Two thoughts on this:

1) I think we can be excited about a team that's not Top 2 in the country.  A 7 - 9 win team will feel like the NC after last year.

2) Being even remotely competitive against Alabama (instead of being crushed by 5+ TDs) is something to get excited about.  We had that, even with CBB, a couple of years ago.
And that was with a QB who can't throw!!!!! I'll think they'll be better but football is a long time away from now.................. depressing.

RME

January 10, 2018, 12:01:55 pm #105 Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:12:18 pm by RyanMallettsEgo
Quote from: bphi11ips on January 10, 2018, 11:55:28 am
Wrong about insults. Ego got snarky yesterday in another thread yesterday, though he denies it.

Wrong about insults? I just posted three insults you hurled yesterday. I'm a big boy, insults don't bother me. Pathological lying, on the other hand, is frightening.

Where did I deny getting snarky? I didn't deny anything. I stand by what I do and say. You love to put words in people's mouths. Again, you're simply lying.

Yesterday, I responded to a post of yours with "I'm an Arkansas Razorbacks fan. I'm not an SEC fan." Your subsequent post labeled me as one of the "Hogville jackwagons."

I said nothing directed at you, nor did I lump you in with a group of "jackwagons." I don't care about that. You're an anonymous dude on a message board just like me. You launched that preemptive strike, and the frightening thing is that you're now trying to change the narrative as if you're at no fault. Kinda scary traits to see in a person.

jgphillips3

There are 7 teams on the schedule that we flat out are either more talented than or no worse than equal.  There are 3 that absolutely outclass is talent wise and 2 that are marginally more talented.  Unless we catch some really bad breaks, we ought to win 7 next year. 

We could very easily win 8 if we gel early and play solid D.  Our hard cap is pretty much 9 wins for the foreseeable future unless several teams get lost on the way to the game or we get really lucky and have a miracle season. 

In the short term, I think Morris will establish us as a dangerous 8-4 team that could jump up and beat a better a team on the right day, but without the overall talent or experience in the system to get double digit wins.

If he recruits at least as well as we have the last decade or so (mid 20's level talent) we'll be a solid, winning team.  If he can bump up that recruiting into the teens, then by year 3 or year 4 we might start to legitimately challenge the big dogs. 

The main thing I see with Morris, that I saw with Petrino (and did not see with Bert), is that he will work tirelessly and demand the same of his team.  That alone will pay dividends. 

rude1

When I look at last season, as bad as it was, there were 3 more wins on the table to be had, aTm, MsState, and Mo.. By eliminating the fat man factor, who always found a way to give a couple wins away, 6-7 wins should be attainable for this staff in season 1.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Razorfox on January 09, 2018, 12:17:05 pm
I know that we've not seen these guys in action yet, but it's hard not to get excited for next year.  I'm not saying that we are going to win the SEC or NC, but I think we'll see instant results better than this past year (I'll wait until at least after spring ball and maybe until August to pick a number of wins).  But I can almost guarantee it'll be more than four. 

Offense: There is almost no way that our offense isn't going to be pretty good.  This staff and system works.  If Kelly can carry the load and the OL can be better than average (a major improvement), then we will score some points.  I think our skill players are more than enough for us to succeed.

Defense: Chavis (whether he is as good as he was at TN/LSU years ago or not) is going to be better than an average coordinator and produce at least an average defense, if not excellent.  With an average defense, we will be so much better off than we were the last couple of years and most of the last decade. 

Players/development: Some might be worried that we don't have talent on the roster because the results on the field have been less than stellar.  But I think we've recruited decently well the last few years under CBB.  We actually won more recruiting battles with the big boys than at any other time in my memory.  The problem was what happened when they got here (system, development, conditioning, etc.).  With correcting those problems, we should have almost instant improvement. 

Exciting times again, in my opinion.

If you notice, he is trying to get the guys he worked with in a specific sequence of when he was super successful.....I think it's a home run.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 10, 2018, 12:01:55 pm
Wrong about insults? I just posted three insults you hurled yesterday. I'm a big boy, insults don't bother me. Pathological lying, on the other hand, is frightening.

Where did I deny getting snarky? I didn't deny anything. I stand by what I do and say. You love to put words in people's mouths. Again, you're simply lying.

Yesterday, I responded to a post of yours with "I'm an Arkansas Razorbacks fan. I'm not an SEC fan." Your subsequent post labeled me as one of the "Hogville jackwagons."

I said nothing directed at you, nor did I lump you in with a group of "jackwagons." You launched that preemptive strike, and now you're trying to change the narrative as if you're at no fault. Kinda scary traits to see in a person.

Wrong. You took a literal view of my initial post and got snarky in response. It should have been clear to you in context that "SEC fans" meant "fans of SEC teams". You instead chose to take a shot at me and label me as a fan of the SEC. That was stupid and so are your buddies' tag along posts.

Don't make antagonistic posts and then cry when you get it back.

bphi11ips

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 10, 2018, 12:09:43 pm
There are 7 teams on the schedule that we flat out are either more talented than or no worse than equal.  There are 3 that absolutely outclass is talent wise and 2 that are marginally more talented.  Unless we catch some really bad breaks, we ought to win 7 next year. 

We could very easily win 8 if we gel early and play solid D.  Our hard cap is pretty much 9 wins for the foreseeable future unless several teams get lost on the way to the game or we get really lucky and have a miracle season. 

In the short term, I think Morris will establish us as a dangerous 8-4 team that could jump up and beat a better a team on the right day, but without the overall talent or experience in the system to get double digit wins.

If he recruits at least as well as we have the last decade or so (mid 20's level talent) we'll be a solid, winning team.  If he can bump up that recruiting into the teens, then by year 3 or year 4 we might start to legitimately challenge the big dogs. 

The main thing I see with Morris, that I saw with Petrino (and did not see with Bert), is that he will work tirelessly and demand the same of his team.  That alone will pay dividends. 

Good post.

RME

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 10, 2018, 12:17:15 pm
Wrong. You took a literal view of my initial post and got snarky in response. It shoukd have been clear to you in context that "SEC fans" meant "fans of SEC teams". You instead chose to take a shot at me and label me as a fan of the SEC. That was stupid and so are your buddies' tag along posts.

Don't make antagonistic posts and then cry when you get it back.

This is hilarious. For both of our sakes and the sake of this board as a whole, we should probably table it and move on.

Have a beer for me tonight at the Tin Roof.

Demonbreun, that is. Not Broadway.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 10, 2018, 12:23:20 pm
This is hilarious. For both of our sakes and the sake of this board as a whole, we should probably table it and move on.

Have a beer for me tonight at the Tin Roof.

Demonbreun, that is. Not Broadway.

Fair enough.  I'll walk from my office on Music Row.  Peace.

steveaustin69

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 10, 2018, 11:55:28 am
Wrong about insults. Ego got snarky yesterday in another thread yesterday, though he denies it. I couldn't care less what he and his poor sports buds think, anyway. There was nothing directed at a poster in my comment about constantly having to keep revisionists from labeling the SWC as the Mountain West or the AAC. I said the statement itself is crap, and it is. Those who lived through the SWC know that. Those too young to remember don't need to believe it.

You and I agree that Arkansas is, on average, over a century a 7-8 win team in  12-13 game season. I post numbers here frequently that are easily researched. The numbers show that Auburn is an 8 win team and Alabama is a 9 win team.

The SEC years tend to support your two good years and back to average theory. You never acknowledge the coaching problem during those years. Those of us who lived through Broyles/Holtz/Hatfield and saw the Crowe crash understand that much of our SEC track record is due to subpar head coaches. We readily admit that some of it is also due to a tougher schedule. 

Anytime one of us with experience posts the reasons why Arkansas fans should be proud of its tradition and should have hope that we can become highly competitive again with the right coach, you jump in with (1) we were never as good as we say we were, (2) Arkansas has a terrible location and will never be able to recruit effectively against our competition, and (3) Arkansas high school football and athletes are terrible.

As far as the 60s-80s, the rankings speak for themselves. That applies to Arkansas and the SWC.

As for UA's location, it's not going anywhere. Recruiting rankings suggest the comparative challenge vs. more favorably located SEC schools. Do we really need 247 to tell us that?

As for Arkansas high school football, it needs to improve. It is not nearly as poor as you say it is, but it could be better. Consolidating small districts and getting kids involved in football earlier, especially in Little Rock, would help. Little Rock has bigger needs to address in its public education system, and if those issues are met football in public high schools in central Arkansas will improve as well.

There's really no need to reply to every positive post with the reasons Arkansas will never be more than an average football team. The fact is that we have been for sustained periods of time. Even if you disagree, we are all aware of the challenges. Most of us who are mid-50s and older have a lot to say about Arkansas's potential. We've seen it and are frustrated with the negativity and especially with the notion that we are stuck in the SEC cellar. The last six years are a 60 year trough.  Arkansas is still historically about 7 or 8 in the SEC and with A&M in the West behind Alabama, LSU and Auburn. That doesn't mean we have no chance to win the division or the conference.

Early on set dementia really is sad to see.  Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.  Glad you can at least find some solace in that SEC championship on Monday.

AirWarren

Got a good mixture of Innovative and young with old school and rough on this staff.

Let's hope they can put it together.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on January 10, 2018, 08:39:28 am
Before we cry about not being Alabama and Georgia, we need to learn to beat the South Carolinas, Texas A&M's, Missouri's, and Mississippi States of the world. Once we do that regularly, the next step won't feel so insurmountable.

This ^^^
Hogs up! Covid down!

oldbooniehog

Get excited all you want.

Getting excited in the offseason is something Hog fans are experts at.

Of course, crashing back down to reality is also something Hogs know a lot about, but maybe don't handle with the same grace and elan.

Get excited. Have fun now.

Look for Hogs to be somewhere between the cellar and the middle of the pack in the SEC West, pretty much like they've been for the last quarter century.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 13, 2018, 10:02:12 pm
Get excited all you want.

Getting excited in the offseason is something Hog fans are experts at.

Of course, crashing back down to reality is also something Hogs know a lot about, but maybe don't handle with the same grace and elan.

Get excited. Have fun now.

Look for Hogs to be somewhere between the cellar and the middle of the pack in the SEC West, pretty much like they've been for the last quarter century.
Funny because it is so true. Hog fans are for sure experts at false hope and confidence. While I am glad to have hired Morris and rid ourselves of the incompetent Bielema and staff, reality is that this team is going to be hard pressed to finish .500 either of the next two seasons.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

bphi11ips

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 20, 2018, 09:12:16 am
Funny because it is so true. Hog fans are for sure experts at false hope and confidence. While I am glad to have hired Morris and rid ourselves of the incompetent Bielema and staff, reality is that this team is going to be hard pressed to finish .500 either of the next two seasons.

Maybe, but there's reason to believe that 9 or 10 of the games on the schedule in 2018 are winnable.  That's not to say we'll win 9 or 10.  A lot depends on how quickly the team adapts to new schemes on both sides of the ball and on how quickly a QB emerges.  Broyles lost his first 6 games.  Petrino was 5-7 his first year.  No pressure.

One thing I am sure of - this team will look like a team that cares from the get go.  Chad Morris is a serious, disciplined coach, and John Chavis is an all-out, aggressive defense guy.  This team is going to get better.  They still have to play an SEC schedule, though.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 20, 2018, 09:40:18 am
Maybe, but there's reason to believe that 9 or 10 of the games on the schedule in 2018 are winnable.  That's not to say we'll win 9 or 10.  A lot depends on how quickly the team adapts to new schemes on both sides of the ball and on how quickly a QB emerges.  Broyles lost his first 6 games.  Petrino was 5-7 his first year.  No pressure.

One thing I am sure of - this team will look like a team that cares from the get go.  Chad Morris is a serious, disciplined coach, and John Chavis is an all-out, aggressive defense guy.  This team is going to get better.  They still have to play an SEC schedule, though.
Agree.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 20, 2018, 09:40:18 am

Agreed. To be honest, after Bama and Auburn, trying to pick how the next 4 teams will finish is a guessing game other than Ole Miss finishing last because they are ineligible for post season play. Arkansas could finish as high as 3rd in the SEC West or as low as 6th. Chances are, they'll come closer to finishing 3rd than they will to finishing 6th.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: GuvHog on January 20, 2018, 12:10:12 pm
Agreed. To be honest, after Bama and Auburn, trying to pick how the next 4 teams will finish is a guessing game other than Ole Miss finishing last because they are ineligible for post season play. Arkansas could finish as high as 3rd in the SEC West or as low as 6th. Chances are, they'll come closer to finishing 3rd than they will to finishing 6th.

I think Auburn is in for a rude awakening. Gus "almost" lost that team last year. His goodwill with his base is going to be even less this year. One or two hiccups and they can tube. Gus' relationship with CCM is going to put a little more heat on it this year too. If I HAD to pick one surprise this is it...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

GuvHog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 20, 2018, 12:24:32 pm
I think Auburn is in for a rude awakening. Gus "almost" lost that team last year. His goodwill with his base is going to be even less this year. One or two hiccups and they can tube. Gus' relationship with CCM is going to put a little more heat on it this year too. If I HAD to pick one surprise this is it...

Auburn is going to have a loaded team this year that could very well be ranked in the top 10 in preseason polls. I don't even think Gus can screw that up.

oldbooniehog

It doesn't matter who coaches Arkansas, any more than it matters who coaches Iowa State or Oregon State or Kansas.

Somewhere between awful and second-rate.

woo pigs, etc.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on January 20, 2018, 03:40:20 pm
Auburn is going to have a loaded team this year that could very well be ranked in the top 10 in preseason polls. I don't even think Gus can screw that up.

Auburn also has a very favorable schedule until they go on the road to play Georgia and Alabama to end the year. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 20, 2018, 04:43:38 pm
It doesn't matter who coaches Arkansas, any more than it matters who coaches Iowa State or Oregon State or Kansas.

woo pigs, etc.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

You don't really believe that.

MuskogeeHogFan

woo pigs, etc.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I'll just disagree with that. It matters a great deal, among other things that can have a positive effect on the program.
Go Hogs Go!

Knot2brite

4-8 to 6-6 next year is about all I can figure...with all the super duper offensive
minds we have up there the problem is still no defense...but I have read it on this message board five to ten times that we don't need a good defense...just a mediocre defense because offense is how games are won nowadays.....some folks are going to be in for a rude awakening
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

sowmonella

woo pigs, etc.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
Then why don't you find another team's board to troll?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 20, 2018, 04:44:19 pm
Auburn also has a very favorable schedule until they go on the road to play Georgia and Alabama to end the year. 

Yep, and even with those 2 losses they'll likely finish 10-2 and in second place in the SEC West.

ICEman

Quote from: opineonswine on January 09, 2018, 08:02:00 pm
Next year I hope for improvement and hope.  However, I don't expect miracles.  We need to recruit with the rest of the SEC before we can expect true improvement.
From my Italian Family: "la speranza è l'ultima a morire."
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Cartoon Man

Kelly will not start in this system. 

liljo

Quote from: Cartoon Man on January 21, 2018, 08:44:24 am

Kelly MAY not start in this system.

FIFY.

I personally believe Kelly has the physical toolset to do just fine in this system. However, I wonder about his mental capacity to learn the system quickly enough.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

LZH

Quote from: liljo on January 21, 2018, 08:49:42 am
However, I wonder about his mental capacity to learn the system quickly enough.

Not sure why. He learned fast enough to face the Alabama defense as a freshman. He'll be fine.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: GuvHog on January 10, 2018, 09:01:07 am
He's the only QB on the roster with experience so it's highly likely that it's his job to lose. Besides, he fits the style of QB that Morris used at SMU to a TEE.
and the style of qb that morris used at smu WAS NOT his preferred style; that was him adapting to what he had. so, means basically nothing. And wasnt Cole like 0-4 or 1-3 in those games and never even had a game as good as , say, Tyler Wilson's second half at Auburn in 2010? He made a pretty terrible impression on me and made staying with Bert an even more infuriating prospect tbh.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: a0ashle on January 10, 2018, 09:14:34 am
Oh we have the #1 dual threat QB coming in? That's awesome, missed that on the recruiting boards.
no but we do have 3 QBs higher ranked than CK.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Cartoon Man on January 21, 2018, 08:44:24 am
agreed. if he does it means we are settling for less than "The Roadmap" that Morris keeps saying he has. I imagine it'll be Daulton Hyatt or maybe Noland. It hasnt been decided yet. Spring ball will hopefully clear it up, but I suspect a fall qb competition as well; even if in name only.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: liljo on January 21, 2018, 08:49:42 am
Kelly MAY not start in this system.

FIFY.

I personally believe Kelly has the physical toolset to do just fine in this system. However, I wonder about his mental capacity to learn the system quickly enough.
ding ding ding

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: LZH on January 21, 2018, 10:42:39 am
Not sure why. He learned fast enough to face the Alabama defense as a freshman. He'll be fine.
Because we just went from a simpleton's offense to a genius' offense; one with a 600+ play playbook.

LZH

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 21, 2018, 10:54:22 am
Because we just went from a simpleton's offense to a genius' offense; one with a 600+ play playbook.

Touché. But he's a big kid with a big arm and isn't scared of shite. I like that. If CM has that touch coaching QB's (or someone on his staff) then CK can be tweaked into whatever they need.

Or, he might lose the job to one of the incoming freshmen. I don't know anything about them.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: LZH on January 21, 2018, 11:00:16 am
Touché. But he's a big kid with a big arm and isn't scared of shite. I like that. If CM has that touch coaching QB's (or someone on his staff) then CK can be tweaked into whatever they need.

Or, he might lose the job to one of the incoming freshmen. I don't know anything about them.
I sound like Im hating on CK, so I should clear that up. It just annoys me when I see him penciled in like how the old staff would do, like a popularity contest. It will be a QB competition, and if CK wins so be it. His arm is live and he has some mobility. We have 4 QBs and 3 of them were 4*s so Im sure we'll be fine in the end regardless of who wins out, b/c we have a guru again. wps.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 21, 2018, 10:45:31 am
and the style of qb that morris used at smu WAS NOT his preferred style; that was him adapting to what he had. so, means basically nothing. And wasnt Cole like 0-4 or 1-3 in those games and never even had a game as good as , say, Tyler Wilson's second half at Auburn in 2010? He made a pretty terrible impression on me and made staying with Bert an even more infuriating prospect tbh.

Not true. When Morris took over at SMU, the QB who started during Morris's first season there was a true dual threat QB. Morris replaced him with a pro style passing QB the next year and that QB remained the starter during the rest of Morris's tenure there.

MuskogeeHogFan

January 21, 2018, 03:00:03 pm #142 Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:21:49 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 21, 2018, 11:06:46 am
I sound like Im hating on CK, so I should clear that up. It just annoys me when I see him penciled in like how the old staff would do, like a popularity contest. It will be a QB competition, and if CK wins so be it. His arm is live and he has some mobility. We have 4 QBs and 3 of them were 4*s so Im sure we'll be fine in the end regardless of who wins out, b/c we have a guru again. wps.

Good grief, it isn't a popularity contest, he just happens to be the one guy remaining with the most playing experience in the SEC at his position at this point. However, none of that is going to mean much because every position on both sides of the ball is going to be subject to re-evaluation and everyone is going to have to earn their position on the depth chart with a new staff on board. I wouldn't put any faith in anything we see or that we project right now. Now through spring ball is going to be a time of competition for every player whether returning starter, two deep, three deep, scholarship or walk on, and that is a good thing.
Go Hogs Go!

No way do I know who will start at any position.  It's my opinion that Cole will have the most difficulty operating the Morris system.  I doubt that the few games Cole started will have much effect on the new staff. I would also offer that Morris will try to come out winning but if he can clearly see we got nearly nothing (which I doubt), then he may use next year setting up for 2019.

I bet if given the chance, Morris will start the QB who shows the best leadership, stays out of trouble the best and can wing it on the run or tuck it and gain a couple or 3.  No matter how good our O-line ends up being, our QB will still need to be fast to stay out of trouble.  If we have a Guy who can buy time with his feet, I suggest he will be way up there on the starting QB ladder.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: 12247 on January 22, 2018, 04:23:24 pm
No way do I know who will start at any position.  It's my opinion that Cole will have the most difficulty operating the Morris system.  I doubt that the few games Cole started will have much effect on the new staff. I would also offer that Morris will try to come out winning but if he can clearly see we got nearly nothing (which I doubt), then he may use next year setting up for 2019.

I bet if given the chance, Morris will start the QB who shows the best leadership, stays out of trouble the best and can wing it on the run or tuck it and gain a couple or 3.  No matter how good our O-line ends up being, our QB will still need to be fast to stay out of trouble.  If we have a Guy who can buy time with his feet, I suggest he will be way up there on the starting QB ladder.
Cole will end up transferring. He's not a Morris QB type.

GuvHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 23, 2018, 11:07:13 am
Cole will end up transferring. He's not a Morris QB type.

Watch some video of SMU's offense under Morris and you'll see that the SMU QB is very similar in style as Cole Kelley but Kelley has a stronger arm.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: GuvHog on January 23, 2018, 03:28:07 pm
Watch some video of SMU's offense under Morris and you'll see that the SMU QB is very similar in style as Cole Kelley but Kelley has a stronger arm.
I've seen many of their games in person over past 2 seasons. Kelley reminds me very little of the SMU QB.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: kp72204 on January 10, 2018, 12:01:13 pm
And that was with a QB who can't throw!!!!! I'll think they'll be better but football is a long time away from now.................. depressing.

You still think this?  lol

GuvHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 23, 2018, 03:59:27 pm
I've seen many of their games in person over past 2 seasons. Kelley reminds me very little of the SMU QB.

Then you weren't paying attention. The SMU QB the last 2 years was a pro style passing QB just like Kelley is but Kelley has a stronger arm.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: GuvHog on January 24, 2018, 01:07:18 pm
Then you weren't paying attention. The SMU QB the last 2 years was a pro style passing QB just like Kelley is but Kelley has a stronger arm.

Your leaving something out.....They were a pro-style quarterback with the ability to move out of the pocket when needed.....this is a borderline dual threat quarterback.  What your seeing with SMU is that their line was good enough he could stay in the pocket longer to get his passes off.