Jeff Long Releases Statement Regarding Firing

Started by Jason Carroll, November 15, 2017, 07:11:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Carroll

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Paulsooie

If it ain't broke, break it and see what happens!

moses_007

Wow, his reaction is 100 percent positive.  Not even a hint of animosity in his letter here.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

HoggyCat

I love the sound of that.... "former AD". Has a nice ring to it.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Nosboar Accubond

One of his last statements is very telling... the Razorbacks need the entire state behind them to compete in the SEC...

Gives you a view into his perception, just chew on that for a bit.

TebowHater

Very good and honorable letter. I give him credit here. Not the slightest of back hands or under the table comments.

Dropkick

True class is acting as if you are leading a parade as they are running you out of town.

ricepig

TebowHater

Quote from: Dropkick on November 15, 2017, 07:21:15 pm
True class is acting as if you are leading a parade as they are running you out of town.

He exemplified that here.

NuttinItUp

Hogeration

Piginablankie

PorkSoda

Quote from: TebowHater on November 15, 2017, 07:21:12 pm
Very good and honorable letter. I give him credit here. Not the slightest of back hands or under the table comments.
yes it was, though I had a few backhanded thoughts reading it, Long did represent the university well.  Wish him the best wherever he goes.  The UofA needed to make a change though.  it is what it is.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

phadedhawg

Class act and expected nothing less from a man who brought us into the 21st century.  It's hard to follow a legend and it's hard to deal with the people who were used to being scratched a certain way. 

I think Jeff Long did his best and that's all that can ever be asked of anyone. 

Hope he finds something new that's just as rewarding.  It's obvious his love for all our student athletes and not just the football players or the stars.  He cared about them all.  Maybe if he would have spent more time laughing at the GOBN's jokes and less time worrying about the student athletes the PTB wouldn't have flushed him out. 

Oh well....if you get fired doing things the right way you can't be too sore about it.  That's why he's able to be more gracious in goodbye than the one's saying "get lost".

Cave City Joe

He seemed like a class act, just put dollars ahead of everything else.  It's not always about the money in sports.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

elksnort

I don't doubt of his sincerity. I also have no doubt that he is a real professional in terms of clever, poignant speech writing.

PorkRinds

cjack

I did not see a thank you to the BOT with the exception of one in particular.  I would like to thank the Board for their work in pushing for this change today.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

PerfectMedium

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

PigInTheHole

Class act;  thank goodness we ran him out of town
12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

JRHoward

Thank You to Jeff Long.  I wish you the best in your future. 
Woooo Pig!

DeltaBoy

Good bye Jeffery Integrity Long and don't let the door hit you as you go out the door .

Thanks for the Millions you raised and Dam you for the Horrible hires you made! 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AlmaHog2011

Good by and good luck. For all the Long worshippers who fawn over him on here.
If he's so great why didn't Nebraska hire him? Why didn't he get the Texas AD job? How many jobs has he tried to get????
We will see if he ends up somewhere better than little ole Arkansas???

hog911

Quote from: PigInTheHole on November 15, 2017, 08:20:29 pm
Class act;  thank goodness we ran him out of town
Yeah because class acts always go straight to a national stage to fire coach! He's a douchebag Pepsi loving yankee and I couldn't be happier he's gone!!!!  "Jeffys gone with the wind"

Springfield_MO_Razorback

We needing to make this change. But I wish nothing but the best for Jeff Long. He really did do a LOT of great things in his tenure here. For me it is bitter sweet. I personally will miss him as AD but I understand we need to go in a different direction. Go luck Jeff! WPS!!

jmark

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

jvanhorn

Quote from: Cave City Joe on November 15, 2017, 07:39:17 pm
He seemed like a class act, just put dollars ahead of everything else.  It's not always about the money in sports.

LOL, Your kidding right?

jvanhorn

Quote from: hog911 on November 15, 2017, 08:46:04 pm
Yeah because class acts always go straight to a national stage to fire coach! He’s a douchebag Pepsi loving yankee and I couldn’t be happier he’s gone!!!!  “Jeffys gone with the wind”

He had NOTHING to do with the Pepsi contract mo ron.  And any time you fire a coach from a major program you are on a national state.  What a half wit.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 15, 2017, 09:01:16 pm
He had NOTHING to do with the Pepsi contract mo ron.  And any time you fire a coach from a major program you are on a national state.  What a half wit.
I think half-wit is about a quarter too much credit...
All Gas, No Brakes!

PorkRinds

I'll say this. It seems like the student athletes are way less happy about this than many of the fans are.

Pigsknuckles

I told the wife this evening that the only answer for our football program was to throw the baby out with the bathwater and start over. Sadly, I likely will not live long enough to see the fruits of the purge that has begun.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

AflacHawg

just more self-promotion, posturing at it's finest.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 15, 2017, 09:07:13 pm
I'll say this. It seems like the student athletes are way less happy about this than many of the fans are.
That's because a lot of the fans are know it all blowhards who get their information from drive time sports and hogville. But what would these kids know they only worked directly with him.  I'm sure they don't realize he is a carpet bagging yankee who came here to ruin football and force us to drink Pepsi.  He cared too much about fancy book learnin

DeltaBoy

He said what he did cause he is getting 1.1 million a year to 2020!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

SPAL

lasthog

Quote from: AflacHawg on November 15, 2017, 09:17:13 pm
just more self-promotion, posturing at it's finest.

I don't understand that anyone expected anything more or less from him in terms of the tone and content of his letter.

He was not posting anonymously on Hogville, but was writing a message to be read (and attributed to JL) by local and national media.

He is too mature and intelligent to write a negative message no matter his real feelings.

baitshop

Classy guy. Of course he's always been a classy guy.

Don't worry about Jeff Long, there will be a line trying to hire someone that can do for their university what Jeff Long has done for the UofA.

There WON'T be a line of folks of his caliber to come to our university and be subject to the knee jerk whims of our fan base and backwoods BOT's.

Sometimes I think that Clay Travis is right about us. SMH
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

RME

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 15, 2017, 08:38:42 pm
Good bye Jeffery Integrity Long and don't let the door hit you as you go out the door .

For the love of God.

greenie

Good statement. 

Wouldn't it be funny if Auburn hired him and kept Gus.

sadhogfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 15, 2017, 08:38:42 pm

And...THIS is the sort of class that we exude, as a collective fanbase.

Couldn't be prouder.

/sarcasm

AirWarren

Classy classy read.

Best of luck Jeff.

Love reading the uneducated redneck replies. Gotta wonder about some folks. This man was fired and continued to praise the university and program.

tolerati

Classy letter. Thank you Jeff Long for your service to the University of Arkansas. Good luck and best wishes to you and your family in your future endeavors.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

HognitiveDissonance

He deserved better.
He's always been a class guy.
I met him once, couldn't have been more friendly. I'm not a big money donor; I think he's just a good person.
All this balderdash about 'being out of touch with the common fan' is such baloney. Of course, coming from Wally Hall, it's bunk. Has Wally ever been right about anything? Can we keep Long and fire Wally?
I would have been ok with him staying on, with oversight. Was I comfortable with his hiring choices? No. I didn't want him hiring the next coach, alone, that is.
But he did everything else about the job very well.
And he was very well respected nationally.

It's too bad Bielema brought him down with that sinking ship.
It's a package deal; firing Petrino, hiring Bielema, with a disaster of John L Smith. All that combined killed him.

zuko

Though I heard kudos for Jeff Long including Track & Baseball. I don't believe that to be true since both Track & Baseball were in very good hands before he was hired  I don't believe rhat most of the people who came out for him realize what he will cost the university regardless if it not public money It's hard for me these days to feel sorry for millionaires who will get more for failing at their jobs.