Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rick Barnes to Tennessee

Started by ricepig, March 30, 2015, 02:58:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

@BruceFeldmanCFB: From UT to UT RT @ChipBrownHD Sources tell HD, Rick Barnes, let go by #Texas Sunday, is expected to be named the next coach at #Tennessee.

Hawg Red

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 30, 2015, 02:59:03 pm
That's the word.

@BruceFeldmanCFB:From UT to UT RT @ChipBrownHD Sources tell HD, Rick Barnes, let go by #Texas Sunday, is expected to be named the next coach at #Tennessee.

Hawg Red

Barnes definitely did enough to get canned from Texas for what they were paying him, but that's an excellent hire for Tennessee. Outstanding hire, really, given everything that's gone on there in recent years. Better than Martin and Tyndall.

HSVhogfan2

SEC is going to be very good in years to come
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Cresthog

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  8m 8 minutes ago

If Barnes isn't Tennessee's next coach, a lot of national folks going to be wrong. No word from Vols officials yet. That doesn't mean much.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Razorbackwarrior79

Yeah that is a Home Run for them. By all accounts Rick Barnes is a high integrity individual. After the Pearl, Cuonzo and Tyndall debacles it was important to get someone of integrity. I think their future success is predicated on getting that program turned around internally and is even more important than winning at this point because all that was left was to let that dumpster fire burnout. I think this hire also probably saves AD Hart's job too.

Tusks

its all about coaching.

the better the coaching in the SEC the better the league.

I think MSU hit a home run with their hire.  I think Barnes is a B hire for TN but it still improves and helps the league.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

MikePiazza

If Alabama finds a way to get Gregg Marshall, just look at the coaching assignments for next season:

Alabama-Gregg Marshall
Arkansas-Mike Anderson
Auburn-Bruce Pearl
Florida-Billy Donovan (assuming no jump to NBA)
Georgia-Mark Fox
Kentucky-John Calipari (assuming no jump to NBA)
LSU-Johnny Jones
Mississippi-Andy Kennedy
Mississippi St.-Ben Howland
Missouri-Kim Anderson
S. Carolina-Frank Martin
Tennessee-Rick Barnes
Texas A&M-Billy Kennedy
Vanderbilt-Kevin Stallings

Every coach has made MULTIPLE NCAA tournaments but Kim Anderson.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

kaki

He may do great at Tennessee, but he does not strike fear into me, thinking about facing him.  His recent coaching record, with pretty decent talent, makes me wonder if had not retired about 4 years ago and had forgotten to inform the AD.  Tennessee needed a name and got it to feed its need for relevance, now we see what the name can do.

jbcarol

Chip Brown @ChipBrownHD  ·  Mar 29

Rick Barnes said Thursday's reports quoting sources about Steve Patterson wanting Barnes' staff changes were leaked by the university.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Wes Rucker @wesrucker247  ·  19m 19 minutes ago

Looks like Rick Barnes was the player to be named later in the Davy-Crockett-to-Texas deal.

jbcarol

Gary ParrishVerified account ‏@GaryParrishCBS

Here's the latest on Rick Barnes and Tennessee, according to what a source told @CBSSports: http://cbsprt.co/1BXWxRP

QuoteBarring a late snag in negotiations, Barnes is expected to accept an offer and become the Vols' next head coach. He's spent the past 17 seasons at Texas.

jbcarol

Kirk Bohls @kbohls  ·  Mar 29

T.J. Ford once asked Barnes if he could take a game over. Rick said, "Be my guest."

LRrazorback

Can't see him winning big at TN, if he was only mediocre with all the talent at TX.  Probably better than the preacher they just fired

3kgthog

Marshall isn't going to Bama. From what I read over the weekend, he has said he's interested in Texas and for Bama to not waste their time pursuing him.

I'm happy Barnes might be at Tennessee. He'll squander any talent he gets. Kentucky just got another coach to hammer on.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 30, 2015, 04:13:01 pm
Marshall isn't going to Bama. From what I read over the weekend, he has said he's interested in Texas and for Bama to not waste their time pursuing him.

I'm happy Barnes might be at Tennessee. He'll squander any talent he gets. Kentucky just got another coach to hammer on.

I wouldn't say Marshall has no interest has he did meet with the Bama AD today. Also there are some rumors that Smart is UT's number 1 target.  So he it really wants to move Bama is an option. Of course he could just be playing both for a Raise at his current job

WooPig90

He had some great talent at Texas but didnt do a whole lot with it. I am not scare

onebadrubi

You do realize he's at bama right now interviewing and it's publicly known. 

PoormansRobbyHampton

Absolutely. I'm pulling for this so hard.

He made one Final Four at Texas? With all of the talent that he's had over the years?

Call me crazy, but I just don't think that Tennessee will turn out that many players. Could be wrong though.

jlhogfan

I hate Texas too, but why does everybody think it is so easy to win basketball championships there?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: LRrazorback on March 30, 2015, 03:58:33 pm
Can't see him winning big at TN, if he was only mediocre with all the talent at TX.  Probably better than the preacher they just fired

Rick Barnes is not going to excite anybody in the Tennessee fan base. It is a "please don't fire me" move by their AD, risk-averse with modest potential gain.
[CENSORED]!

latrops

I think this is a really good hire for Tennessee, given where the program is right now.  On the surface it doesn't appear to be a homerun hire with huge upside, but that may not be a completely fair assumption.  In the 7 seasons from 2002 through 2008, he went to two Sweet 16s, two Eilite 8s, and one Final Four.  In the last 7 seasons, however, he hasn't even been to one Sweet 16.  He has both been very highly regarded and considered a disappointment in the last 10 years.  The baseline, though, is program stability and regular NCAAT appearances.  Not a bad thing given where Tennessee is right now, and there is the potential for Elite 8 or better results as he has been there before.

latrops

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 30, 2015, 05:58:20 pm
Rick Barnes is not going to excite anybody in the Tennessee fan base. It is a "please don't fire me" move by their AD, risk-averse with modest potential gain.

Fan bases aren't typically realistic or reasonable, nor do they have any accountability.  They expect coaches like Gruden.  They want to bring back a coach who had to sit out three seasons for lying to the NCAA and who has never been to a Final Four....DAYS after firing a coach that is about to get punished by the NCAA.  In the meantime many will turn their nose up at a guy that has been to the Final Four and a couple of Elite 8s while running a clean, stable program.  Clean and stable isn't sexy.  Deep NCAAT runs in the last couple of years is what excites people.

Sue E NoNutts

From one ugly orange to another......
Your/You're.....the difference between knowing your shite and knowing you're shite.

Lose/Loose.  When you lose weight, your pants feel loose.

rhog1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 30, 2015, 05:58:20 pm
I think the thinking is that Barnes will be there 5 or 6 years, and bring Tennessee out of its current dumpster fire status and back to respectable so they can attract a big time hire when Barnes retires. At least that is the impression I got from reading volnation. If so then it is a smart move by Tennessee, they cant afford another bad hire. 

BDSCT51

Quote from: latrops on March 30, 2015, 06:03:29 pm
The baseline, though, is program stability and regular NCAAT appearances.  Not a bad thing given where Tennessee is right now, and there is the potential for Elite 8 or better results as he has been there before.

This is what he'll bring to vol nation's BB program. A solid hire.
Bleeding Razorback Red

BadHog

Orange is the new.....

whatever!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  22s 22 seconds ago

From last night: Tennessee appears to be closing in on hiring Rick Barnes as its basketball coach. http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2015/mar/31/vols-reportedly-closes-locking-barnes/296126/ ...

Smithian

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 30, 2015, 03:14:28 pm
If Alabama finds a way to get Gregg Marshall, just look at the coaching assignments for next season:

Alabama-Gregg Marshall
Arkansas-Mike Anderson
Auburn-Bruce Pearl
Florida-Billy Donovan (assuming no jump to NBA)
Georgia-Mark Fox
Kentucky-John Calipari (assuming no jump to NBA)
LSU-Johnny Jones
Mississippi-Andy Kennedy
Mississippi St.-Ben Howland
Missouri-Kim Anderson
S. Carolina-Frank Martin
Tennessee-Rick Barnes
Texas A&M-Billy Kennedy
Vanderbilt-Kevin Stallings

Every coach has made MULTIPLE NCAA tournaments but Kim Anderson.

Poor Missouri.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Smithian on March 31, 2015, 06:57:54 am
Poor Missouri.

Yeah it looks like a which one of these doesn't belong puzzle.

TNhawgfan

He will not recruit Durant type athletes to Knoxville. He is a do less with more guy. The kind of coach who could have D-Mac, Felix, and Hillis in the same backfield and not make a BCS bowl. I not scare either
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

latrops

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 31, 2015, 07:13:40 am
He will not recruit Durant type athletes to Knoxville. He is a do less with more guy. The kind of coach who could have D-Mac, Felix, and Hillis in the same backfield and not make a BCS bowl. I not scare either

He had Durant for one year and didn't make the Sweet 16.  His Final Four team was led by TJ Ford and Brandon Mouton.  Good players, but not super stars.

We lost to Tyndall.  Nobody is scared, but it's not as though we consistently dominate everyone, everywhere.  We are likely to lose in Knoxville on occasion. 

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  29m 29 minutes ago

Rick Barnes to Tennessee is done, sources told ESPN. News conference later today.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  1m 1 minute ago

Talk is Tennessee went a little north of $2 million per season on Barnes contract. Working to confirm. Hart said he wasn't afraid to spend.

jbcarol

Chip Brown @ChipBrownHD  ·  Mar 29

Rick Barnes: "Will I coach again? Yeah. Probably quicker than you think."

jbcarol

Wes Rucker @wesrucker247  ·  38m 38 minutes ago

#Vols men's hoops coach has been to more Final Fours than #LadyVols coach. WHAT PLANET IS THIS??? IS EVERYONE OK???

TNhawgfan

Quote from: latrops on March 31, 2015, 08:52:12 am

We lost to Tyndall.  Nobody is scared, but it's not as though we consistently dominate everyone, everywhere.  We are likely to lose in Knoxville on occasion. 
Well, I agree with that because we always lose in Knoxville. Even when they had Wade Houston and we had Nolan, they seemed to either win or give us all we wanted
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

jry04

I think it is a good hire.

I said no chance that Marshall would go to Alabama,  but it seems much more likely now. The SEC is going to have some really good coaches if Alabama can land Marshall.

Donovan, Calipari, Barnes, Howland, Marshall, Pearl, Stallings, and Anderson are all pretty good coaches. Fox is a good one, too in my opinion.

Pigliophile

Well at least he gets to keep all his burnt orange junk.  ::hornsdown::

litmachog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 31, 2015, 07:13:40 am
He will not recruitO Durant type athletes to Knoxville. He is a do less with more guy. The kind of coach who could have D-Mac, Felix, and Hillis in the same backfield and not make a BCS bowl. I not scare either

One thing to remember is most of Barnes' best teams consisted of Texas players.  That state produces a good talent pool of basketball players.  Now it's a different challenge to pull them in Tennessee.

HotlantaHog

Rick Barnes was 402-180 at Texas and his teams claimed three Big 12 titles  in  1999,  2006 and 2008. He  set a school record with 13 consecutive 20-win seasons from 1999-2000 through 2011-12.

He isn't an elite coach but a very good coach and recruiter, and shouldn't be underestimated. He is likely to do a very good job at Tennessee.

latrops

Quote from: jry04 on March 31, 2015, 10:05:21 am
I think it is a good hire.

I said no chance that Marshall would go to Alabama,  but it seems much more likely now. The SEC is going to have some really good coaches if Alabama can land Marshall.

Donovan, Calipari, Barnes, Howland, Marshall, Pearl, Stallings, and Anderson are all pretty good coaches. Fox is a good one, too in my opinion.

I'd be shocked if Marshall went to Bama.  I'm sure they'll pay him, but he has had big money offers for at least the last couple of years.  If he leaves, I'd be very surprised if it were to go to a program that historically hasn't concerned itself much with basketball while emphasizing football to an extreme.  He has a good thing going at Wichita St.  He will leave at some point, but I'd expect it to be for a place that has some modern era basketball tradition. 

Texas makes more sense.  While they, too, overemphasize football, at least they've been a consistent NCAAT team that is looking to get over the hump, as opposed to merely becoming relevant in basketball like Bama is trying to do.

onebadrubi

Quote from: latrops on March 31, 2015, 12:30:33 pm
I'd be shocked if Marshall went to Bama.  I'm sure they'll pay him, but he has had big money offers for at least the last couple of years.  If he leaves, I'd be very surprised if it were to go to a program that historically hasn't concerned itself much with basketball while emphasizing football to an extreme.  He has a good thing going at Wichita St.  He will leave at some point, but I'd expect it to be for a place that has some modern era basketball tradition. 

Texas makes more sense.  While they, too, overemphasize football, at least they've been a consistent NCAAT team that is looking to get over the hump, as opposed to merely becoming relevant in basketball like Bama is trying to do.

Marshall knows first hand how hard it is to advance once you are in the tourney.  A couple round of 64 and 32 game losses and Marshall could be shown out the door at Texas.  At bama he would have a lifetime job if he made it to 16 NCAAT in 17 years. 

Tusks

Quote from: Sue E NoNutts on March 30, 2015, 06:27:33 pm
From one ugly orange to another......

give me a T for texas, give me a T for tennessee........lyndard skynard live.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Per some research, Rick Barnes would be the fourth-highest paid hoops coach in the SEC next season behind Calipari, Donovan and Pearl.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker @wesrucker247  ·  2h 2 hours ago

The official UT-Knoxville account retweeting a fake Rick Barnes account is today's Moment Of Zen.