Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If this team had the 90's officiating

Started by Potosihog, December 01, 2016, 10:27:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Potosihog

We would be unstoppable.  Very aggressive and quick defense but with the new rules can't go more than 2 possessions without a foul.

Rawker

Quote from: Potosihog on December 01, 2016, 10:27:49 pm
We would be unstoppable.  Very aggressive and quick defense but with the new rules can't go more than 2 possessions without a foul.

In the last 6 minutes, when we could have almost blown it up to 30, the refs absolutely refused to let it happen, hitting Bailey with 2 completely phantom fouls - he literally did not touch the handler on one and another he was completely in position and making no play for the ball - then one where Bailey got ALL BALL on a steal under the basket.  Plus, I still never saw where Macon actually touched that shooter, and Thompson went for the ball and tripped on the guy for the made-up flagrant.  11 or so points for SFA there.  Total bull.

Hollywood_HOGan45

NCAA has made college hoops damn near unwatchable. You cannot breathe on a guy without a whistle being blown.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 02, 2016, 12:06:11 am
NCAA has made college hoops damn near unwatchable. You cannot breathe on a guy without a whistle being blown.

I agree. It's across the board. Watched iu and nc and there was rarely a sequence of more than 2 possessions without a whistle.  2 talented teams, great atmosphere, but clunky flow. The ncaa needs to look BACK to it's most successful era and emulate that type of play.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

This has been done in the NBA as well. Looks like they are pushing for a finesse play style. They want lay ups and fade away shots only. No steals, dunks, or anything "violent" like that 
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Atlhogfan1

Chris Lowery, Matt Painter, Brad Stevens  - These are some of the people responsible for what you are seeing.  Several years ago, coaches decided defense should be a contact sport in the halfcourt including away from the ball.  Movement was hindered greatly intentionally.  The game's brand and entertainment value was being hurt.  This prompted some rule evolutions. 

When we did what we did in the early 90s with the hand check was to direct opponents where we wanted them to go and control them.  Big difference being we were willing to play entertaining, open court basketball.  It was an advantage so the NCAA changed the rule.  I would think if teams would be willing to allow more freedom of movement and play more open court basketball then the emphasis may be reduced again.  We certainly would.  But I doubt they trust the majority to do so.  It would be back to what it looked like for several seasons with games in the 50s-60s and shooters having shoulders thrown into them or grabbed as they tried to cross the lane to get open. 

We may be getting some reputation fouls.  I don't know because I haven't watched. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HF#1

We don't seem to come out of the gates very well. That's what stuck out to me last night. We are sloppy with the ball and are not very efficient offensively.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 02, 2016, 08:08:05 am
Chris Lowery, Matt Painter, Brad Stevens  - These are some of the people responsible for what you are seeing.  Several years ago, coaches decided defense should be a contact sport in the halfcourt including away from the ball.  Movement was hindered greatly intentionally.  The game's brand and entertainment value was being hurt.  This prompted some rule evolutions. 

When we did what we did in the early 90s with the hand check was to direct opponents where we wanted them to go and control them.  Big difference being we were willing to play entertaining, open court basketball.  It was an advantage so the NCAA changed the rule.  I would think if teams would be willing to allow more freedom of movement and play more open court basketball then the emphasis may be reduced again.  We certainly would.  But I doubt they trust the majority to do so.  It would be back to what it looked like for several seasons with games in the 50s-60s and shooters having shoulders thrown into them or grabbed as they tried to cross the lane to get open. 

We may be getting some reputation fouls.  I don't know because I haven't watched. 

Every year there are points of emphasis, these are told to the refs AND coaches well in advance of the season. It is up to the players and coaches to adjust. How many time does a player have to get called for a foul for putting hands on the ball handler before he stops doing it?

The Hogs continue to get fouls because they continue to slap and grab at the ball, and hand check. I actually thought, for the most part last night the Hogs did a better job of not doing that until late in the game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 02, 2016, 08:08:05 am

You haven't seen the Hogs play a game this year?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 02, 2016, 08:51:30 am
You haven't seen the Hogs play a game this year?

Not a second.  Not a highlight.  Will pick it up once we start playing competitive teams in televised games.  Not going to the internet on a weeknight to watch SFA or MSM. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

lstewart

I'm at all the home games. Thompson earned his intentional foul, as it was right in front of me, and he looked like he wrapped the guy up better than most of our defensive backs can do. All the fouling drives me a little crazy. Seems like we could adjust our style of play a little and have more success with the new rules. There have been a couple of games that ran 30 minutes long just because of all the fouls and free throws.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: lstewart on December 02, 2016, 09:13:30 am
I'm at all the home games. Thompson earned his intentional foul, as it was right in front of me, and he looked like he wrapped the guy up better than most of our defensive backs can do. All the fouling drives me a little crazy. Seems like we could adjust our style of play a little and have more success with the new rules. There have been a couple of games that ran 30 minutes long just because of all the fouls and free throws.

All teams, regardless of style, are struggling with the new emphasis on freedom of movement. Foul fests festering all across the college basketball landscape.

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 02, 2016, 09:28:38 am
All teams, regardless of style, are struggling with the new emphasis on freedom of movement. Foul fests festering all across the college basketball landscape.

yes, it is terrible the offense is being allowed to move without being grabbed, blocked, or pushed.

I called a game a HS game a couple weeks ago, one team trapped and pressed the entire game, but they did not reach. In the traps they had their hands up, they did not reach for the ball. Did not put their opponent in the bonus in the 1st half at all, and only did late in the 4th Q when the subs came in.

The opponent did not trap or press, but they would not keep their hands of the offense, and they were in the bonus in the 1st quarter. We tried to tell them to take their hands off, told their coach at the 1st time out that we were going to have to start calling it, and they still did it, and would not stop. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

STLHogFan

Quote from: Rawker on December 01, 2016, 11:44:58 pm
In the last 6 minutes, when we could have almost blown it up to 30, the refs absolutely refused to let it happen, hitting Bailey with 2 completely phantom fouls - he literally did not touch the handler on one and another he was completely in position and making no play for the ball - then one where Bailey got ALL BALL on a steal under the basket.  Plus, I still never saw where Macon actually touched that shooter, and Thompson went for the ball and tripped on the guy for the made-up flagrant.  11 or so points for SFA there.  Total bull.

And this is why I don't watch anymore.  I'll watch for the big SEC games maybe but the game is ruined.
BEVO - It's what's for dinner.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 02, 2016, 08:57:07 am
Not a second.  Not a highlight.  Will pick it up once we start playing competitive teams in televised games.  Not going to the internet on a weeknight to watch SFA or MSM.
Yet you have so much to say.......

Jim Harris

what are these new rules of which you speak?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hogsanity

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 02, 2016, 02:45:17 pm
what are these new rules of which you speak?

you know, they outlawed grabbing, hacking, pushing, holding

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on December 02, 2016, 02:23:09 pm
Yet you have so much to say.......

.....about what?.....  I think it is hilarious Biggus and Wilson decided to step into the kiddie pool of Jump Ball.  We'll see how long they last.   

PonderinHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 02, 2016, 02:49:06 pm
.....about what?.....  I think it is hilarious Biggus and Wilson decided to step into the kiddie pool of Jump Ball.  We'll see how long they last.
Them or the Jump Ball forum ???