Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does this capture the problems?

Started by Biggus Piggus, November 30, 2016, 09:12:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogman99

Quote from: elksnort on December 01, 2016, 03:05:42 pm
I appreciate your effort and work. I also appreciate Hogsanitie's input along with azhog.

But, I just can't help but cut to the chase, as they say.

I am tired almost to the point of not wanting to watch, the same freakin' mistakes/shortcomings from CMA'S teams.

If the trapping ain't working, then stop doing it!!!!! "Getting into their legs" only applies to the 1990s and before or teams with no depth and sorry ball handlers.

You took the words right out my mouth.

Biggus Piggus

Agreed on the trapping - we're not forcing turnovers, so what are we accomplishing?

Good teams - West Virginia, TCU, Virginia, Butler - force a lot of turnovers. It can be done. The trend seems to be toward halfcourt pressure, though.
[CENSORED]!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on December 01, 2016, 01:09:09 pm
We can't keep trying to trap and extend middle ball screens with Moses the way we do. All teams are doing is running a high ball screen with a piston action and they get a wide open look. I do not agree with how we are handling them, and Mike has got to start having our guard go underneath and keep our big at home instead of trapping in the middle of the court. That is 75% of our defensive problem. That causes the scrambles, long closeouts, and wide open rollers to the rim.

I agree but do you think Mike will adjust? I don't.

nwahogfan1

Great points Biggus.   Mike has to tweek his style to the times and to his talent.  Right now I do not see us playing a winning style!  Of course  Winning to me is when we are playing for Championships and not just trying to finish in the middle of the pack.

What the heck is Our full court press accomplishing?? Where are the TOs?   What the heck is our big men doing switching and guarding PGs 30 feet from the basket.  Apposing coaches see this and will scheme to use this to their advantage.  What the heck is our man offense? Is it getting our best shooters open? What the heck is Moses role on offense?  Do we have an inside game!

swinesation

December 03, 2016, 02:46:53 pm #54 Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 05:17:39 pm by swinesation
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 01, 2016, 01:24:30 pm
One point I want to emphasize -- a team can be good without being really tall, but three-guard lineups have fallen out of style.

Good teams are playing either a true small forward, a combo forward, or a guard-forward swingman.

If you look at Villanova, they start

6-9, 240
6-7, 210
6-6, 235 - team's leading 3-point shooter
6-5, 215
6-2, 190

Khalil Garland Ht 6-6 Wt 195
Darious Hall Ht 6-6 Wt 210

Reggie Perry Ht 6-9 Wt 200 (Big time!)

Patience my friend, they are coming.

pigsooie1000

fantastic post! really great analysis and points out the big problems: the 3-point defense and rebounding is pretty apparent to the eye, but the falloff in turnovers forced is not immediately apparent. really strange how we don't shoot 3s, we have 5 guys who seem ready to shoot and 3 hitting at strong percentages in Jones, Hannahs, Barford and Beard. Barford in particular seems to not shoot enough 3s

Biggus Piggus

Last night, Arkansas attacked all the weaknesses of its previous games. The Hogs did not focus on forcing turnovers but instead on being disruptive to Austin Peay's offense + rebounding misses. Arkansas held AP to very low shooting percentages and destroyed the Governors on the boards. On offense, the Hogs shot well, creating many easy shots and putting back quite a few offensive rebounds. Outside shooting was very good after a slow start.

Hannahs came off the bench for the first time, allowing MA to begin with a defense-first starting unit. When he puts Hannahs in off the bench, it is harder for opponents to focus on him, because they don't have their regular five on the court, and it's well into the game.

MA even used three-bigs lineups for very effective stretches. He broke through every barrier that had seemed to be limiting the team.

MA did just about everything I could have hoped for him to do, except call a set play on the last possession of the first half.
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 04, 2016, 08:29:44 am
Last night, Arkansas attacked all the weaknesses of its previous games. The Hogs did not focus on forcing turnovers but instead on being disruptive to Austin Peay's offense + rebounding misses. Arkansas held AP to very low shooting percentages and destroyed the Governors on the boards. On offense, the Hogs shot well, creating many easy shots and putting back quite a few offensive rebounds. Outside shooting was very good after a slow start.

Hannahs came off the bench for the first time, allowing MA to begin with a defense-first starting unit. When he puts Hannahs in off the bench, it is harder for opponents to focus on him, because they don't have their regular five on the court, and it's well into the game.

MA even used three-bigs lineups for very effective stretches. He broke through every barrier that had seemed to be limiting the team.

MA did just about everything I could have hoped for him to do, except call a set play on the last possession of the first half.

Definitely a different approach last night. That 2nd unit was deadly on the boards on both ends. With a team like the ones Mike puts together, I don't expect to out-rebound based on size and fundamentals, but instead based on effort and athleticism. I finally saw that last night.

Boy, does the future look bright for this program. Bailey is going to get his minutes in that 2nd unit based on hustle and effort, it's just who will he take the minutes from? Probably Cook.

Biggus Piggus

The only team that had blown out Austin Peay this season was Dayton, and that was game one. Dayton led by as many as 34 and won by 28.

Dayton is a top 40 team. Arkansas put up its best performance of the season by far last night. I hope it translates to a victory over Houston on Tuesday.
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 04, 2016, 09:58:21 am
The only team that had blown out Austin Peay this season was Dayton, and that was game one. Dayton led by as many as 34 and won by 28.

Dayton is a top 40 team. Arkansas put up its best performance of the season by far last night. I hope it translates to a victory over Houston on Tuesday.

Scored 99 points on Fort Wayne and lost.

azhog10

I think we saw some adjustments by CMA. We will see if it continues or if he reverts back to his old form.

swinesation

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 04, 2016, 08:29:44 am

So you think he's been reading JB and took your advice?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 04, 2016, 09:58:21 am

I share your optimism but I have shared it before only to be knocked down by a bad game later.  I hope we can build on this game and get the ball rolling in the right direction

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: swinesation on December 04, 2016, 03:05:39 pm
So you think he's been reading JB and took your advice?

All I ever try to do is anticipate the things that MA is seeing from his own team + guess what the best moves would be that MA could make. He knows how to coach his team. Sometimes he is a bit stubborn.
[CENSORED]!

riccoar

Hand checks and body contact are not what they were in the 90's.  That style has been clamped down on by the NCAA everywhere except Rupp arena.

hogsanity

Quote from: riccoar on December 05, 2016, 01:09:01 pm
Hand checks and body contact are not what they were in the 90's.  That style has been clamped down on by the NCAA everywhere except Rupp arena.

They clamped down on hand checks almost 2 decades a go. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

riccoar

Quote from: hogsanity on December 05, 2016, 01:20:23 pm
They clamped down on hand checks almost 2 decades a go. 
Guess in the UCLA vs. Kentucky game they never got the memo.

hogsanity

Quote from: riccoar on December 05, 2016, 01:33:36 pm
Guess in the UCLA vs. Kentucky game they never got the memo.

That was a really good game, played by two really good teams. Also, you can still hand check, you can put one had on the ball handler as long as you quickly remove it, and you can only do that once while that player posses the ball. What you cant do is put it on them and push them around, and that has been the rule for about 8 decades, and has been pretty much enforced again for the last 20 years.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE