Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If we get Brown and Moss for 2018

Started by jdunhog, November 27, 2016, 08:40:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Letsroll1200

Quote from: HF#1 on November 28, 2016, 12:30:00 pm
He's had 5 years

5 years to do what? This program was the worse in the SEC when MA took over. The only school without a practice facility, Altman saw what Arkansas had and left, Failphrey, APR issues etc. 

Go and see what the great Greg Marshall was doing after 5 years at State. Arkansas need to stay with MA because it's about to get back where we want the program. Winning!!

The Hogfather

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 27, 2016, 09:53:12 pm
MA's Achilles heel has always been recruiting.

This! 

I think, for whatever reason, recruiting has picked up tremendously over the last 1-2 years.  With the talented guys we have already on campus/signed/committed, the future is bright.  Recruits like Brown and Moss can see that.

We should have a good year this year and then be even better moving forward.  I just really, really hope we can get all of the talented youngsters to stay and buy-in, even if they don't get as much playing time as they think they deserve as freshmen.  That's the one other thing that is holding us back, I think.  Lack of continuity because our most talented youngsters have left each of the last 2 seasons.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HF#1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 28, 2016, 12:39:04 pm
5 years to do what? This program was the worse in the SEC when MA took over. The only school without a practice facility, Altman saw what Arkansas had and left, Failphrey, APR issues etc. 

Go and see what the great Greg Marshall was doing after 5 years at State. Arkansas need to stay with MA because it's about to get back where we want the program. Winning!!

He's had 5 years and 6 recruting classes. Pretty confident you are trolling so I'll just leave this discussion.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Letsroll1200

Quote from: HF#1 on November 28, 2016, 12:54:51 pm
He's had 5 years and 6 recruting classes. Pretty confident you are trolling so I'll just leave this discussion.

Trolling? LOL. I point out facts

JayBell

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 28, 2016, 12:25:50 pmEvery program starts with recruiting. You have to get the players. There is a certain section of Arkansas that have given up on mike. I listened to the radio today and this radio host kept saying he wouldn't want to be Mike Anderson today. It's one loss to a Big 10 ball club in the road. I'm looking forward to how they respond tonight. It's not a sprint but a marathon.

I believe Anderson is now 20-51 in all games away from Bud Walton.  This is hardly about one loss to a Big 10 ball club on the road.

phadedhawg

I don't think anybody who had seen all our games this year thought we would win a road game this early in the season against a team with 5 starting players who had a pulse. 

However, I don't anybody expected us to get blown out of the gym.  We have nothing to draw conclusions for post season potential on at this point.  Too streaky, zero consistency.  We could win 25 games or 12.  Mike Anderson is running out of time.  It's best for all parties if he pulls it together this year.  I don't see any saviors on the horizon who could captain our ship to better results.  We are stuck, hoping, praying, begging Anderson to reinvent himself as a competent coach.

I have my doubts but I've also lived long enough to be proven wrong as many times as I've been right.  But I'd recommend putting your dreams of tomorrow on the back burner until we show we can beat the teams we should and compete with the teams we need to. 

Kevin

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 28, 2016, 12:39:55 pm
This! 

I think, for whatever reason, recruiting has picked up tremendously over the last 1-2 years.  With the talented guys we have already on campus/signed/committed, the future is bright.  Recruits like Brown and Moss can see that.

We should have a good year this year and then be even better moving forward.  I just really, really hope we can get all of the talented youngsters to stay and buy-in, even if they don't get as much playing time as they think they deserve as freshmen.  That's the one other thing that is holding us back, I think.  Lack of continuity because our most talented youngsters have left each of the last 2 seasons.

more quality players in the state of arkansas
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HF#1

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 28, 2016, 12:39:55 pm
This! 

Since the addition of Scotty to the staff, the number of stars seems to have increased.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

jjdlc

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 28, 2016, 01:52:10 pm
I don't think anybody who had seen all our games this year thought we would win a road game this early in the season against a team with 5 starting players who had a pulse. 

However, I don't anybody expected us to get blown out of the gym.  We have nothing to draw conclusions for post season potential on at this point.  Too streaky, zero consistency.  We could win 25 games or 12.  Mike Anderson is running out of time.  It's best for all parties if he pulls it together this year.  I don't see any saviors on the horizon who could captain our ship to better results.  We are stuck, hoping, praying, begging Anderson to reinvent himself as a competent coach.

I have my doubts but I've also lived long enough to be proven wrong as many times as I've been right.  But I'd recommend putting your dreams of tomorrow on the back burner until we show we can beat the teams we should and compete with the teams we need to.

I've tried biting my tongue, but this is really getting on my nerves.  Getting beat by 14 on the road is hardly getting blown out of the gym.   Outside a 10 minutes stretch in the first half, we played them fairly even.  I'm pissed because I'm tired of seeing us have those 10 minutes stretches of mediocrity.   However, lets not pretend this loss was any worse than it really was.  Now, come February if we are losing by 25 or 30 at SC or MSU, or some other crappy SEC team then pass me a pitchfork.

HF#1

Quote from: jjdlc on November 28, 2016, 02:46:44 pm
I've tried biting my tongue, but this is really getting on my nerves.  Getting beat by 14 on the road is hardly getting blown out of the gym.   Outside a 10 minutes stretch in the first half, we played them fairly even.  I'm pissed because I'm tired of seeing us have those 10 minutes stretches of mediocrity.   However, lets not pretend this loss was any worse than it really was.  Now, come February if we are losing by 25 or 30 at SC or MSU, or some other crappy SEC team then pass me a pitchfork.

34-8 run in that 10 minutes=run out of the gym

WADHOG

Comparing Mike to Nolan, which is overplayed, Nolans teams played tenacious defense.  This caused turnovers and created much of our offense.  Opposing teams were tired in the last ten minutes and we took full advantage.  Mikes teams don't do this.

The_Iceman

Quote from: WADHOG on November 28, 2016, 03:01:47 pm
Comparing Mike to Nolan, which is overplayed, Nolans teams played tenacious defense.  This caused turnovers and created much of our offense.  Opposing teams were tired in the last ten minutes and we took full advantage.  Mikes teams don't do this.

Referees and timeouts don't really allow this anymore.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 28, 2016, 03:03:13 pm

and heaven forbid a coach change his strategy knowing this has been the case for about a decade.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WADHOG

Don't allow tenacious defense?  That was the crux of my post, we do not defend worth a flip.  Defense spills over to offense.  The game hasn't changed.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: jdunhog on November 27, 2016, 08:40:01 pm
It is over for the anderson haters! That will be 10 4 stars in next three years!

Who plays the 4/5 positions?  Who will post up down low who is able to score and rebound?   Who will give us depth? 

We are going after a ton of kids who play the 3/4 spots but Gafford is the only one who plays the 4/5 spot.  We need a couple MEN down low to battle plus depth.

Danny J

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 28, 2016, 08:35:55 pm
Who plays the 4/5 positions?  Who will post up down low who is able to score and rebound?   Who will give us depth? 

We are going after a ton of kids who play the 3/4 spots but Gafford is the only one who plays the 4/5 spot.  We need a couple MEN down low to battle plus depth.
Would be nice to get Moses back another year...just imagine had we redshirted him his freshman year

PonderinHog

Quote from: Danny J on November 28, 2016, 08:49:45 pm
Would be nice to get Moses back another year...just imagine had we redshirted him his freshman year
We needed those two minutes per game.

hogman99

Quote from: hogsanity on November 28, 2016, 04:41:02 pm
and heaven forbid a coach change his strategy knowing this has been the case for about a decade.

Exactly!!! This is the part that is so hard to understand, yet so easy to implement.

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

hobhog

Quote from: jjdlc on November 28, 2016, 02:46:44 pm

25-30 point loses is what it will take you to get frustrated?! That's impressive. I think you'll be fine this year then.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hobhog on November 28, 2016, 09:03:10 pm
25-30 point loses is what it will take you to get frustrated?! That's impressive. I think you'll be fine this year then.

Kentucky vs Arizona State

Danny J

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 28, 2016, 08:54:12 pm
We needed those two minutes per game.
I understand not wanting to redshirt guys these days but damn...dude was still feeling that effects of Malaria and could not play for any extended period of time. Had he been back next year we would only lose Dusty and Manny and damn...we could have been a really good team returning almost everybody and adding Gafford and Garland.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 28, 2016, 11:28:28 am
Does 10-22 mean anything to you.
I don't believe in people being banned, but if there was ever a scenario, it would be people deflecting questions/criticisms from the Jump Ball forum by diverting to football. You have no response so the best you can do is deflect.

Dude...have you read MMQB lately? It's in full meltdown mode since Friday. Someone's head needs to roll...Robb Smith, the entire defensive staff, Bielema. anybody.

And therein lies the difference between MMQB and Jump Ball. Coaches are actually allowed to be criticized in MMQB. Here, the coach is above criticism, and there's an excuse for everything that happens. It's all pumping sunshine and farting rainbows. 'Move along...nothing to see here.'

To quote a recent national sportswriter, the results here under MA have been 'underwhelming'. He said it; I didn't. But that's a great way to put it. Underwhelming. And his predecessors were replaced for same results.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: lefty08 on November 28, 2016, 04:43:17 am
Could this be the same reason arkansas struggled in its first road game with an overhauled roster?  Surely not.......
You have a great point...except we've seen the same thing every year. The fan reaction was an accumulation of seeing similar things all six years, not this one game.

That's exactly why I picked Minn to win 78-61. Had a suspicion it would play like Iowa St two years ago. Past performance is the best predictor of future performance. We have a nasty tendency to let people 'go off' on us from 3-land and not match their intensity, especially the first few games we play on the road.

HognitiveDissonance

My, the hyperbole. The 'worst in the SEC'. ha
Funny, every time a writer pens a column on best jobs in the SEC, Arkansas is always in the Top 5, even now, 20 years after its last Sweet 16. Sometimes still mentioned in the Top 3.

RedRock

Performance is the measure not stars.

LR_Matt

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 28, 2016, 03:03:13 pm

I saw a team do it tonight.... wasn't UA,though.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 28, 2016, 10:28:23 pm
My, the hyperbole. The 'worst in the SEC'. ha
Funny, every time a writer pens a column on best jobs in the SEC, Arkansas is always in the Top 5, even now, 20 years after its last Sweet 16. Sometimes still mentioned in the Top 3.

Why did Dana walk away from a top 3 program in the SEC? Can you explain that. Just keep watching.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 28, 2016, 10:53:47 pm
Why did Dana walk away from a top 3 program in the SEC? Can you explain that. Just keep watching.
Did he ever give his reasons publicly? No.
How do you know he didn't simply have a change of heart about leaving Creighton and where his family was from? Timing can be everything. Like I fully expect Gregg Marshall to leave Wich St at some point, but the timing isn't right yet.
Are you seriously saying, in 2011(or now), you would rather coach basketball at Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, and even LSU, Vanderbilt, South Carolina et al.
Arkansas has a definite higher ceiling than all of those schools.

Furthermore, even if I agree that it was really that bad, which is laughable to me, why does it take six years(and counting) to show any progress? There are 13 scholarships in basketball, one recruiting class---ONE---can instantly turn things around. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are. Get a guy who can come in and sell his vision and inspire recruits to come here. Eddie did it from a dirt floor(with the Triplets), Nolan did it(with no Bud Walton and no practice facility), and heck, even Stan Heath recruited his read end off, bringing a lot of talent in here(couldn't coach 'em that well, though).

Just more excuses.

HognitiveDissonance

I just someone to go on the record saying they would rather be the head basketball coach at Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, Auburn, South Carolina, LSU, Vandy, Miss St, Missouri, Texas A&M. Any of that group.

Giving a reason is optional.

All of those either are 1)football 2)spring football 3)football recruiting 4)basketball   in that order   OR have no legitimate argument for being a more attractive coaching destination than Arkansas(such as Missouri).

Kentucky and probably Florida are the only jobs I would consider taking over Arkansas right now if I was looking for a job. I know the history of each school and that would weigh heavily on my decision.

HognitiveDissonance

To me, the sleeper in the SEC is Alabama.
Alabama basketball always has had talent. Heck, I remember even in our glory days looking on the floor and thinking Alabama had better players than we did. And not just the Horry/Sprewell/Robinson team. Almost every team had talent.
But Alabama is so heavily tilted to football, it's just hard to get any interest or traction.
And they really don't care; Coleman Coloseum was built in the 60s.
I see no reason why they haven't done better over the years, other than that. People are just killing time waiting for football to start again.

hhicNaychaBoi

take a look at jacorey Williams stats....he was supposed to be on the team last season and beard missed the first half of the season http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61562/jacorey-williams those were 2 big pieces and if we had them all year I think it would have translated into at least 5 more wins...last year wasn't supposed to happen the way it did but give this team time to gel and it will be dancing in march...I have confidence in coach Anderson and the future is very bright.

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 28, 2016, 06:54:43 am
John Calipari only has one national championship with all the talent that has been through Kentucky in recent years. Props to Coach Cal because he has changed the culture at Kentucky.

However, Anderson is changing the culture at Arkansas. You hear recruits talking about the family environment at Arkansas. I'm just pointing out that Anderson has beat Cal with less talent on paper.

A LOT for teams with less talent in all sports has beaten more talented teams. That doesn't mean the coaches of those less talented team were better overall or even the coach of the more talented team is always better when it wins.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 28, 2016, 11:24:01 pm
To me, the sleeper in the SEC is Alabama.
Alabama basketball always has had talent. Heck, I remember even in our glory days looking on the floor and thinking Alabama had better players than we did. And not just the Horry/Sprewell/Robinson team. Almost every team had talent.
But Alabama is so heavily tilted to football, it's just hard to get any interest or traction.
And they really don't care; Coleman Coloseum was built in the 60s.
I see no reason why they haven't done better over the years, other than that. People are just killing time waiting for football to start again.

Frank Martin, whom I don't particularly care for, has South Carolina playing damn good basketball, undefeated with a couple of top 25 wins.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

The_Iceman

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on November 29, 2016, 06:01:55 am
Frank Martin, whom I don't particularly care for, has South Carolina playing damn good basketball, undefeated with a couple of top 25 wins.

Frank Martin is a dang good coach. Wouldn't have been upset at all to get him over Mike 5 years ago.

98hogs

A freakin practice facility should never be an excuse to win games.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: 98hogs on November 29, 2016, 06:29:39 am
A freakin practice facility should never be an excuse to win games.

Not a excuse. Arkansas was the only school in the SEC without a practice facility. Not having one did not help in recruiting.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 29, 2016, 07:28:47 am
Not a excuse. Arkansas was the only school in the SEC without a practice facility. Not having one did not help in recruiting.
I'm sure that the improved recruiting we are currently enjoying is just pure coincidence.  Oh, I forgot.  They're all Arkansas kids and would play in a barn as long as it was for the home state Hogs!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 28, 2016, 11:12:32 pm
Did he ever give his reasons publicly? No.
How do you know he didn't simply have a change of heart about leaving Creighton and where his family was from? Timing can be everything. Like I fully expect Gregg Marshall to leave Wich St at some point, but the timing isn't right yet.
Are you seriously saying, in 2011(or now), you would rather coach basketball at Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss, and even LSU, Vanderbilt, South Carolina et al.
Arkansas has a definite higher ceiling than all of those schools.

Furthermore, even if I agree that it was really that bad, which is laughable to me, why does it take six years(and counting) to show any progress? There are 13 scholarships in basketball, one recruiting class---ONE---can instantly turn things around. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are. Get a guy who can come in and sell his vision and inspire recruits to come here. Eddie did it from a dirt floor(with the Triplets), Nolan did it(with no Bud Walton and no practice facility), and heck, even Stan Heath recruited his read end off, bringing a lot of talent in here(couldn't coach 'em that well, though).

Just more excuses.

No excuses t all I'm just being honest about the challenges that were facing this program when MA took over.

I think the program at this time is in a good place with MA. Recruiting has picked up and Arkansas has a solid roster this season. The poor decision making by Beard and J Will in addition to Qualls leaving school early created a lot of issues heading into last season.

I'm looking forward to this team fighting and clawing to get in the NCAA Tournament.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 29, 2016, 07:36:10 am
I'm sure that the improved recruiting we are currently enjoying is just pure coincidence.  Oh, I forgot.  They're all Arkansas kids and would play in a barn as long as it was for the home state Hogs!

2018 recruit that was on a unofficial visit mention that he loved the practice facility. I admit that those guys would like to play together but Arkansas wasn't the only school that offered the upcoming classes.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: jdunhog on November 27, 2016, 08:40:01 pm
It is over for the anderson haters! That will be 10 4 stars in next three years!

Mack Brown had a top 3 recruiting class every year at Texas. He's calling games these days instead of coaching them. What's your point?
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

hogsanity

I just find it telling that the Anderson PR team here is touting a class that won't even sign for 18 months and wont be on the floor for 2 years as the one that will make people like Anderson. That will be his 8th or 9th class.

hogfanny

If Jeff could just get Austin Allen in the line-up we will really kill it.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on November 29, 2016, 08:28:03 am
I just find it telling that the Anderson PR team here is touting a class that won't even sign for 18 months and wont be on the floor for 2 years as the one that will make people like Anderson. That will be his 8th or 9th class.

Last year class with the Juco' s was a pretty good class. In addition the 2017 class of Gafford, Hall and Garland is sold and address a lot of needs.

Garland in particular just continues to get better every time I see him. Arkansas high school basketball is very good right now. Their are so many players in the state that Arkansas can't offer all of them.

LR_Matt

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 28, 2016, 11:37:43 pm
How quickly they forget...

Is this the measure of our season now??? Beat U.K.??? I understand the super bowl effect that follows them but dang, the last time we beat them didn't they go to the championship game? At least the final 4.... what did we do in post season??? Beating U.K. should not be the measure of our season. Is that one conf game enough to satisfy this fan base, MA or Long???

PonderinHog

Quote from: LR_Matt on November 29, 2016, 09:08:22 am
Is this the measure of our season now??? Beat U.K.??? I understand the super bowl effect that follows them but dang, the last time we beat them didn't they go to the championship game? At least the final 4.... what did we do in post season??? Beating U.K. should not be the measure of our season. Is that one conf game enough to satisfy this fan base, MA or Long???
We beat them twice that year and they went to the championship game and lost.

LR_Matt

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 29, 2016, 09:10:10 am
We beat them twice that year and they went to the championship game and lost.

And we did what??? NIT.... was that a "WIN" for us?

PonderinHog

Quote from: LR_Matt on November 29, 2016, 09:11:33 am
And we did what??? NIT.... was that a "WIN" for us?
Yes, we won a game in the NIT.