Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Still believe in MA and the hogs

Started by Letsroll1200, November 22, 2016, 09:19:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HF#1 on November 23, 2016, 03:33:03 pm
I believe they will play the rest of the games.

They will win games and they will lose games. Hopefully a lot of the former and little of the latter.

When they win, much of the negative chatter will subside excepting for the diehards. When they lose, batten down the hatches and get ready for a chit storm.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 22, 2016, 09:19:47 pm
It's early in the season and this team will need some time to build chemistry. I still believe that MA will right the ship.  All sickness is not death and MA has shown that he can build a basketball team. Look forward to the rest of the season from this ball club.

Ditto, let's roll.

GuvHog

It's early in the season and this team will need some time to build chemistry. I still believe that MA will right the ship.  All sickness is not death and MA has shown that he can build a basketball team. Look forward to the rest of the season from this ball club.

The line in bold is pure Horse Manure. Mike has most certainly not shown that he knows how to build a program:

(1) He was only at UAB 3 years and some of the previous coach's players were still on the team when he left for Missouri.

(2) He was at Missouri for 5 years and in his last year there, his team (they were all HIS recruits) won only ONE conference road game against what was then a terrible Iowa State team.

(3) His fifth year at Arkansas was a disaster.

There is nothing on his resume' that indicates he can build a program.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jboler96

I really hope he rights the ship. That was definitely a humbling point. Hopefully they get better from it

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on November 22, 2016, 09:32:18 pm
The one thing I do know...this team has talent. Its not a talent problem.

Personally I think he needs to fundamentally transform the way he coaches defense. These guys are just too confused to know what the hell is going on and CMA makes it worse by switching just about every pick. Saw Barford and Beard guarding bigs down low all night. Watching Beard try to rebound over a 7 footer was classic. At least he has guts.

I totally agree. Gambling all over the floor and switching on all screens creating mismatches is not very smart coaching. Sure it will work sometimes but Mikes record against good competition and in conference is not good. Way under 50% away from home.

j-mann

they might win 20 overall     

but we need a shara smart   type  or brad Stevens   type  to win big again   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

HawgnCorona

Quote from: 26.2Hog on November 22, 2016, 09:38:51 pm
In year five?  Good grief.  Who recruited that roster? 

What will be a good job in year six?

With the exception of about 4 or players you do have practically a new roster...so most of these guys are new to each other, in yr 6. But one should at least expect a spot in the NCAA, they are talented enough. The problem isnt the talent but get them by into the system, develop chemistry and play to there potential...That wont happen after 5 games.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on November 25, 2016, 01:20:43 pm
The line in bold is pure Horse Manure. Mike has most certainly not shown that he knows how to build a program:

(1) He was only at UAB 3 years and some of the previous coach's players were still on the team when he left for Missouri.

(2) He was at Missouri for 5 years and in his last year there, his team (they were all HIS recruits) won only ONE conference road game against what was then a terrible Iowa State team.

(3) His fifth year at Arkansas was a disaster.

There is nothing on his resume' that indicates he can build a program.

At UAB and Mizzou he took teams that hadn't made the tournament to making the tournament in consecutive years.

FineAsSwine

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 26, 2016, 07:09:15 am
At UAB and Mizzou he took teams that hadn't made the tournament to making the tournament in consecutive years.

Mizzou made the NCAA Tournament several times before Mike arrived there. Their court is named after the HC who led them during that era (Norm Stewart).

Yes Mike led both Mizzou and UAB to the NCAA Tournament using another HC players (His 5th year Missouri team didn't deserve to be in the NCAA Tournament, they only got invited become of the strength of the Big 12 conference).

Mike has never shown that he is capable of building a winning program.

texas tush hog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 27, 2016, 01:23:55 pm
Mizzou made the NCAA Tournament several times before Mike arrived there. Their court is named after the HC who led them during that era (Norm Stewart).

Yes Mike led both Mizzou and UAB to the NCAA Tournament using another HC players (His 5th year Missouri team didn't deserve to be in the NCAA Tournament, they only got invited become of the strength of the Big 12 conference).

Mike has never shown that he is capable of building a winning program.

Does that mean we can rely on your absence until we hire Billy Clyde. One can only hope.

FineAsSwine

Mizzou made the NCAA Tournament several times before Mike arrived there.

Sounds like an argument for Mizzou being a tremendous program, haha.

FineAsSwine

is this supposed to somehow diminish his accomplishment by implying Mike couldn't recruit players who could make the tournament? You do recall UAB's coach going to the NCAA with Mike's players right? What about Haith winning 30 games with Mike's players at Mizzou?

poloprince

Man I would've never thought that MM would have more made 3's than DH at any point this season. It's time to step up. Let's go  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

jdlittle

just watched texas am and ucla     wish we could even play on that level    our team looks different

GuvHog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 27, 2016, 08:21:25 pm
is this supposed to somehow diminish his accomplishment by implying Mike couldn't recruit players who could make the tournament? You do recall UAB's coach going to the NCAA with Mike's players right? What about Haith winning 30 games with Mike's players at Mizzou?

It just shows that Mike has never shown that he can build a program. It's as simple as that.

GuvHog

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 27, 2016, 06:21:33 pm

Does that mean we can rely on your absence until we hire Billy Clyde. One can only hope.

I made a valid point, I can't help it if you don't like the truth.

For the record, I was opposed to Mike being hired as head hog but I knew it was inevitable because too many were still living in the 90"s and saw getting Mike Anderson as having Nolan all over again. This is Mike's 6th season here and some still won't let go of the 90's. That being said, I'm not on the "Fire Mike" band wagon, it's too early in the season and there are a lot of games left.

popcornhog

I look forward to it and have not lost hope; but I am starting to lose faith.

Why do you still believe he can ultimately win? I've got from beyond excited when we stole him from Mizzou to starting to wonder (not based on the Minnesota game; based on the body of work).
WPS

hogsanity

Quote from: popcornhog on November 28, 2016, 04:07:49 pm
I look forward to it and have not lost hope; but I am starting to lose faith.

Why do you still believe he can ultimately win? I've got from beyond excited when we stole him from Mizzou to starting to wonder (not based on the Minnesota game; based on the body of work).

Is it stealing if someone leaves the motor running and the door open?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on November 28, 2016, 04:42:16 pm
Is it stealing if someone leaves the motor running and the door open?

So, how did Mizzou do that with MA?

daprospecta

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 27, 2016, 08:21:25 pm
They won't mention that because it doesn't fit their agenda of trying to make Mike out to be a bad coach, which he is not.  I'm not going to lie, I hate how poorly we defend the 3 but  see some good things in this team as well. 

FineAsSwine

It's ok to not like CMA's style or philosophy but why come on here and just make stuff up? But, I get it. Even if CMA makes the NCAA tourney this year, then the "discussion" will shift to the seed being too low; or we didn't make the sweet 16; or we didn't win the SEC or the SECT or so and so finished ahead of us and so on and so on.

Guys spend their time trying to come up with cute one-liners and zingers instead of having a discussion. I find myself falling into the trap of countering and end up going tit for tat. Hard to come on here and find common ground with fans and discuss with that kind of environment being the norm.

I want to see the Hogs win and that's why I will support CMA until he is gone but I am done with the constant back and forth. CMA is a grown man who is paid big bucks for getting results and if he doesn't win he should be out of here. I'm ok with that but I am pulling for him to succeed because he is a good guy with a lot of history here. But to stay here, he's got to win.

Good luck to the team tonight and I hope that they will use this breather of a game to work on the issues that clearly manifested themselves at Minnesota and become a better team as the season progresses.

:razorback:

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: daprospecta on November 28, 2016, 05:09:45 pm
They won't mention that because it doesn't fit their agenda of trying to make Mike out to be a bad coach, which he is not.  I'm not going to lie, I hate how poorly we defend the 3 but  see some good things in this team as well.
You've never heard me say Mike is a 'bad' coach, because he isn't. He's actually fairly good.
But he's not great, and didn't appear to have any ceiling for 'greatness', which was why I wasn't excited about his hire.
As someone put it more eloquently than me, too many people 'living in the 90s'.
I was hopelessly spoiled by two Hall of Fame guys for 30 years, and I won't settle for anything less. I would have rather taken a flyer on an up-and-comer who might have shown some potential, but Jeff Long went conservative and caved in to the ones stuck in a time warp.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 25, 2016, 07:56:46 pm
I totally agree. Gambling all over the floor and switching on all screens creating mismatches is not very smart coaching. Sure it will work sometimes but Mikes record against good competition and in conference is not good. Way under 50% away from home.
It works pretty well at home, but not on the road.
You're usually forced to play a half-court game on the road. The refs call more fouls on the reaching and hand slaps. A strong inside game serves you well on the road.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 28, 2016, 05:20:00 pm
It's ok to not like CMA's style or philosophy but why come on here and just make stuff up? But, I get it. Even if CMA makes the NCAA tourney this year, then the "discussion" will shift to the seed being too low; or we didn't make the sweet 16; or we didn't win the SEC or the SECT or so and so finished ahead of us and so on and so on.

Guys spend their time trying to come up with cute one-liners and zingers instead of having a discussion. I find myself falling into the trap of countering and end up going tit for tat. Hard to come on here and find common ground with fans and discuss with that kind of environment being the norm.

I want to see the Hogs win and that's why I will support CMA until he is gone but I am done with the constant back and forth. CMA is a grown man who is paid big bucks for getting results and if he doesn't win he should be out of here. I'm ok with that but I am pulling for him to succeed because he is a good guy with a lot of history here. But to stay here, he's got to win.

Good luck to the team tonight and I hope that they will use this breather of a game to work on the issues that clearly manifested themselves at Minnesota and become a better team as the season progresses.

:razorback:
I'll be quite satisfied with an NCAA berth this year, even if it's a 12 seed. That COMBINED with the recruits will make me optimistic going forward.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 28, 2016, 10:44:57 pm
I'll be quite satisfied with an NCAA berth this year, even if it's a 12 seed. That COMBINED with the recruits will make me optimistic going forward.

Well why not hold up with the negative stuff until proven right? Better to sit in silence than to eat crow later...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Letsroll1200

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 28, 2016, 05:05:32 pm
So, how did Mizzou do that with MA?

Better question is how are they doing without Mike.

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 29, 2016, 08:36:24 am
Better question is how are they doing without Mike.

The issue is not that a coach leaves, that happens all the time either by his own moving or being fired, the issue is do you make a good choice in replacement. Mizzu made terrible hires. Arkansas made terrible hires after Nolan was fired. Kentucky made a terrible hire in Billy Clyde.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Little Lady Back

Quote from: hogsanity on November 29, 2016, 08:49:29 am
The issue is not that a coach leaves, that happens all the time either by his own moving or being fired, the issue is do you make a good choice in replacement. Mizzu made terrible hires. Arkansas made terrible hires after Nolan was fired. Kentucky made a terrible hire in Billy Clyde.

Agree with most of your post. At least Jeff Long has tried to right the sinking ship that was razorback basketball after Nolan was fired.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

hogsanity

Quote from: Little Lady Back on November 29, 2016, 09:18:34 am
Agree with most of your post. At least Jeff Long has tried to right the sinking ship that was razorback basketball after Nolan was fired.

I said HIRES, plural.

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

GuvHog

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 28, 2016, 11:40:51 pm
Well why not hold up with the negative stuff until proven right? Better to sit in silence than to eat crow later...

I won't be eating any crow. If this team makes it to the NCAA, it would be a very good accomplishment and Mike will have earned more time. That however, won't make him a great head coach. There are times when Mike's "fastest 40 minutes of basketball" will work well but there will be times when the Hogs opponent will force them to slow down and play half court basketball. Mike has not shown that he can adjust and coach his team to successfully play the Half Court style when they are forced to.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Little Lady Back on November 29, 2016, 11:37:24 am
Correct. There were several HIRES that were bad.
Stan Heath has equaled or outperformed Pelphrey and Anderson after five years. Pelphrey didn't even get a fifth year. He had an NCAA team then was fired and handed Pelphrey another NCAA team, which to John's credit, he took to the Dance.

So you're either saying all three hires were bad, or Anderson/Pelphrey were bad and Heath wasn't.

My opinion is that Heath wasn't great and I was ok with them replacing him, but he has been the best of the three TO THIS POINT in time. A really, really gifted recruiter.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 28, 2016, 11:40:51 pm
There will be no reason to eat anything. First, no one has said flat out they're not going to make it. Second, if they do, nearly everyone will be happy(including me), yet it won't change anything that's been said that is considered 'negative'. Most are valid questions/criticisms. That's not going to change.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 29, 2016, 11:18:10 pm
There will be no reason to eat anything. First, no one has said flat out they're not going to make it. Second, if they do, nearly everyone will be happy(including me), yet it won't change anything that's been said that is considered 'negative'. Most are valid questions/criticisms. That's not going to change.

And you will repeat those negative talking points everyday in every thread no matter what the topic of the thread is.

GuvHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 29, 2016, 11:15:24 pm
Stan Heath has equaled or outperformed Pelphrey and Anderson after five years. Pelphrey didn't even get a fifth year. He had an NCAA team then was fired and handed Pelphrey another NCAA team, which to John's credit, he took to the Dance.

So you're either saying all three hires were bad, or Anderson/Pelphrey were bad and Heath wasn't.

My opinion is that Heath wasn't great and I was ok with them replacing him, but he has been the best of the three TO THIS POINT in time. A really, really gifted recruiter.

It was Stan Heath's recruiting that caused the mess Pelphrey inherited. Stan left Pelphrey with a team that was senior laden and from that team that Pel led to the NCAA tournament, only 3 scholarship players returned the next season. As a result, Pel was forced to take some risks in recruiting just to field a team the next year and that hurt later on. Stan's recruiting caused the U of A to lose a basketball scholarship later on that even affected Mike's first year.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 29, 2016, 11:15:24 pm

Stan Heath and Mike Anderson records during their first 5 seasons on the Hill.
Notable Players for Heath

Patrick Beverly
Sonny Weems
Ronnie Brewer
Charles Thomas
Darien Townes

Notable Players for Anderson
BJ Young
Michael Qualls
Coty Clarke
Bobby Portis
Moses Kingsley

Heath was a gifted recruiter but he did not get better results as far as the record goes on the court. I don't know how Arkansas was able to make the NCAA tournament with a 7-9 record. I believe we still had name recognition that allowed us to get in the tournament Heath's last season as coach.

Overall      Conference

1.  9-19        4-12
2. 12-16       4-12
3. 18 -12       6-10
4. 22 - 10     10-6
5. 21-14        7-9

1. 18-14     6-10
2. 19-13     10-8
3. 22-12     10-8
4. 27-9       13-5
5 16-16      9-9

HogBreath

Quote from: daprospecta on November 28, 2016, 05:09:45 pm
Well, actually it does, Haith took Mike's last Mizzou team to a much higher win total than CMA got out of them.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HogBreath on November 30, 2016, 05:34:22 pm
Well, actually it does, Haith took Mike's last Mizzou team to a much higher win total than CMA got out of them.

So this means that Haith is a better coach than CMA in your mind?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 30, 2016, 08:00:47 am
And you will repeat those negative talking points everyday in every thread no matter what the topic of the thread is.
....in response to the Anderson-fans-first/Hog-fans-second folks who turn every thread into a worship Mike thread.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: GuvHog on November 30, 2016, 02:45:35 pm
It was Stan Heath's recruiting that caused the mess Pelphrey inherited. Stan left Pelphrey with a team that was senior laden and from that team that Pel led to the NCAA tournament, only 3 scholarship players returned the next season. As a result, Pel was forced to take some risks in recruiting just to field a team the next year and that hurt later on. Stan's recruiting caused the U of A to lose a basketball scholarship later on that even affected Mike's first year.
...or maybe Pelphrey took those guys cause that's all he could get.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 30, 2016, 03:59:07 pm
Stan Heath and Mike Anderson records during their first 5 seasons on the Hill.
Notable Players for Heath

Patrick Beverly
Sonny Weems
Ronnie Brewer
Charles Thomas
Darien Townes

Notable Players for Anderson
BJ Young
Michael Qualls
Coty Clarke
Bobby Portis
Moses Kingsley

Heath was a gifted recruiter but he did not get better results as far as the record goes on the court. I don't know how Arkansas was able to make the NCAA tournament with a 7-9 record. I believe we still had name recognition that allowed us to get in the tournament Heath's last season as coach.

Overall      Conference

1.  9-19        4-12
2. 12-16       4-12
3. 18 -12       6-10
4. 22 - 10     10-6
5. 21-14        7-9

1. 18-14     6-10
2. 19-13     10-8
3. 22-12     10-8
4. 27-9       13-5
5 16-16      9-9

Yes, that's pretty much what I said.
Heath was great recruiter, average coach. Results were not as good as talent suggested.

Anderson, total opposite. Average recruiter, better coach than Heath. So, again, results not as good as expected.

Now if those two could combine into one guy, we'd be in business.

HogBreath

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 30, 2016, 07:50:35 pm
So this means that Haith is a better coach than CMA in your mind?
Haith's conference winning % during his time at Mizzou was better than CMA's by double digits..what do you think?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: HogBreath on December 01, 2016, 06:28:15 am
Haith's conference winning % during his time at Mizzou was better than CMA's by double digits..what do you think?
As slimy as Haith is, I have a hard time giving him credit for much of anything.
He put Miami in hot water, then skipped town; he put Mizzou in hot water, then skipped town.
He's a pretty good coach, yes. But nobody likes him.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HogBreath on December 01, 2016, 06:28:15 am

I think Mizzou was pissed when Anderson left because they wanted him to stay. Haith, on the other hand, fled the scene while the mob was still gathering and there was no love lost there.

I think Mizzou felt they were better off with CMA and were stung by his decision to leave. With Haith they were like, "don't let the door knob hit cha where the good Lord split cha.