Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Expect Mike on hot seat and possible replacements chat

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, November 22, 2016, 08:33:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

No hot seat. No replacements. Program has its best outlook for the future in 20+ years. A change would be stupid, at this point.

Porked Tongue

You're in for a surprise then if this season is weak.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: GuvHog on November 24, 2016, 01:09:35 pm
Doesn't matter. Frank Martin's 5th year Gamecock team is doing what a  coaches 5th year team at a D1 school should be doing. Kicking a ranked team's butt.

Now go back and take a close look at Mike's 5th year Hog team.

I guess it doesn't matter when we look at the numbers. By the numbers Arkansas is ahead of where South Carolina was at in year four.

I predicted South Carolina would be a good team before the season started. I look forward to beating them this season.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 24, 2016, 03:17:45 pm
You're in for a surprise then if this season is weak.

Yes, I would be very surprised if this season is weak.

HoopS

I'm not ready for a new coach. I want to let this season play out first and then go from there. But if the game the other night proves to be the norm, I'll be ready for one. Let's see how this season plays out.

Sivad

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 24, 2016, 10:21:05 am
He is like a professor with tenure.
Damn near has to murder someone to lose his job.
Not sure that would even tilt his clock, an in house felony counterfeiting ring sure didn't.

root_hawg

He isn't going anywhere, the seat might get hot if he didn't win another game this year .... MIGHT

Porked Tongue

I'll repeat, he's not carrying his hall pass like he once did.

HoopS

Quote from: root_hawg on November 24, 2016, 06:21:43 pm
He isn't going anywhere, the seat might get hot if he didn't win another game this year .... MIGHT
I don't believe that.
Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 24, 2016, 06:42:05 pm
I'll repeat, he's not carrying his hall pass like he once did.
I do agree with this.

texas tush hog

Quote from: root_hawg on November 24, 2016, 06:21:43 pm

No, and I would ask, "how do you like your crow".

GuvHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 24, 2016, 03:19:26 pm
I guess it doesn't matter when we look at the numbers. By the numbers Arkansas is ahead of where South Carolina was at in year four.

I predicted South Carolina would be a good team before the season started. I look forward to beating them this season.

If the Hogs manage to beat South Carolina in Columbia, that would be an impressive win because it's something that the #25 team in the nation couldn't do. The Gamecocks just beat a very good #25 Michigan Wolverine team and it wasn't as close as the score indicates.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Hogfan991 on November 22, 2016, 08:33:22 pm
Gregg Marshall
Greg McDermott
Mark Few
Bill Self (Longshot)
truthfully, why even mention Self?  Why would Self EVER even consider leaving a top 3 program in the nation to go to Fayetteville?  He has no ties to Arkansas.  I understand how people are possibly thinking Ark might need a replacement for MA, but to even mention Self's name is just wrong.  He is NOT coming to Arkansas.  What has he ever done or said that would even lead ANYBODY to think he is holding out for the right time to leave freakin Kansas to come to Arkansas?   I can think of nothing but maybe someone can clue me in.

Mark Few is just a different kind of cat.  He is not coming to Arkansas. I doubt if he ever leaves Gonzaga.  He loves it out there.  That just isnt happening. 

If the Razorback Foundation some how some way backed a Brinks truck up to Gregg Marshall's house and offered him $5M per year over 5-7 years, he might consider us, but dont get it twisted.  Other coaches see how hard it is to get top talent to come to Fayetteville.  They are not going to just line up to get a chance to interview with Jeff Long. We Arkansas fans have an inflated sense of self worth when it comes to getting new coaches.  We are not that big of a deal anymore.  I wish we were.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 23, 2016, 08:24:58 am
Tom Crean, 2008[18]

On April 1, 2008, Crean was hired as head coach of the Indiana Hoosiers, succeeding interim head coach Dan Dakich. Dakich had replaced former coach Kelvin Sampson, who resigned after NCAA recruiting violations. Between Crean's hiring and the start of the 2008–09 season, freshman Eric Gordon opted to leave early for the NBA and star forward DJ White graduated. Two players kicked off the team by Dakich were not allowed back by Crean, one was dismissed by Crean and two transferred.[19] As a result, Crean began with a roster consisting only of two walk-ons who had scored a combined 36 points in their careers. Despite the long odds, Crean was known to approach games and practices as if Indiana could compete in each one and to continue stressing Hoosier Hysteria and the long tradition of success at the school.[2] He was well aware that he was walking into a difficult situation. However, when asked why he left Marquette, Crean replied, "It's Indiana. It's Indiana, and that is the bottom line."[20]

With a depleted roster and damaged recruiting lure, Crean's first three seasons saw consecutive losing records of 6–25 (the worst in school history), 10-21, and 12-20. However, during this period Crean's recruiting classes progressively improved, most notably with the signing of five-star recruit and McDonald's All-American Cody Zeller, an Indiana native. Zeller was the highest ranked recruit to join the Indiana program since the Sampson era.
and right there you see where the turnaround began.  Getting a stud recruit from that state to stay home and play.  Mike just doesnt see to be able to do that.  He seems to be able to get whatever stud recruit that Calipari doesnt want or Billy Donovan (KeVaughn Allen) etc. 

MA is not Bobby Knight or Mark Few. By that I mean, he isnt going to take a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits and coach em up and make a well oiled machine out of them.  He needs talent.  I was hoping this season with the JUCO's would show what Mike can do with some talent.  We will have to see if it happens.  The other night at MINNY was not a good performance.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on November 26, 2016, 11:01:45 am
and right there you see where the turnaround began.  Getting a stud recruit from that state to stay home and play.  Mike just doesnt see to be able to do that.  He seems to be able to get whatever stud recruit that Calipari doesnt want or Billy Donovan (KeVaughn Allen) etc. 

MA is not Bobby Knight or Mark Few. By that I mean, he isnt going to take a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits and coach em up and make a well oiled machine out of them.  He needs talent.  I was hoping this season with the JUCO's would show what Mike can do with some talent.  We will have to see if it happens.  The other night at MINNY was not a good performance.

All coaches need talent to win. For example, Bobby Knight had some short fellow named Isaiah who turned out to be pretty talented in spite of being vertically challenged. Bobby wasn't doing it with smoke and mirrors.

HognitiveDissonance

I read once where Knight's 1987 title team was the last to do so without a NBA 1st round draft pick. Is that still true?

Actually our 1994 team did have a 1st Round pick, but it wasn't as 'talented' as most title teams are. The general rule of thumb is two first rounders for championship teams in the past 25 years.

Medic821

jdunhog

It is amazing how these stupid ass threads get started like this when we have 8 4 stars committed over the next three years!

Otis

Quote from: jdunhog on November 26, 2016, 10:22:58 pm
It is amazing how these stupid ass threads get started like this when we have 8 4 stars committed over the next three years!

Hey guys, just wait till next year!!

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 22, 2016, 09:14:52 pm
First part not true.  Second part is.  And it will continue to create apathy.

His ass would be blistering at this point if he was anyone else.  The danger of making a hire like this. 

Not saying he should be fired as the season has a long way to go and this schedule has a lot of wins on it.

LOL. More objectivity?

I am sure you are downloading on Cbb as well?

3 games in. Fire Ton Cream! He lost to ipfw at home! LOL

3kgthog

And a coach who will do nothing with them.

Letsroll1200

It want stop. Every lost will be reason to fire MA.

1hawgballer2

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on November 22, 2016, 09:08:25 pm
No more excuses. 

Poor home attendance, Poor road record continues, MA style doesn't work anymore. Team not prepared. We got new bodies, but results the same.  I'm ready for change at 2.2 million per year.  He's not cutting it.

Response:
If you think it's bad now it can get a whole lots worse with your knee-jerk suggestion.

chenalhog

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 22, 2016, 09:18:37 pm
Dont forget the deep run in the NCAAT that year too! 

SEC is horrible conference other then Kentucky. No excuse for us not make tourn every year. IF Anderson coached in most other conferences. He would be fired by now

chenalhog

Quote from: ricolacey on November 27, 2016, 09:45:58 am
Response:
If you think it's bad now it can get a whole lots worse with your knee-jerk suggestion.
explain to us how it can get much worse

Letsroll1200

Quote from: chenalhog on November 27, 2016, 12:10:40 pm
SEC is horrible conference other then Kentucky. No excuse for us not make tourn every year. IF Anderson coached in most other conferences. He would be fired by now

I guess the NWA excuse is only on MMQB. Just keep watching. We have a solid team this year and our next recruiting classes are going to take us to the next level.

HogBreath

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 27, 2016, 12:17:18 pm
We have a solid team this year

Did we play the Gophers or the Timberwolves the other day?  UT/Arlington or the Mavericks?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

daprospecta

The problem is a lot of fans here don't follow college basketball like they do college football. That is why so many fans can recognize the issues with our football team. Back to the subject.  We lost to an undefeated Minnesota game on the road.  If you look at just the games this week, teams that are picked to do better than us have lost to teams worse than Minnesota.  Sure, there were some things we need to cleanup but it's WAY to early to get down on our team and coach. 

HogBreath

Quote from: daprospecta on November 27, 2016, 03:25:32 pm
but it's WAY to early to get down on our team and coach. 
Maybe in the first year or two yes, waay too early, but it is year 6.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

daprospecta

Quote from: HogBreath on November 27, 2016, 03:53:17 pm
Maybe in the first year or two yes, waay too early, but it is year 6.
It's our first loss. Yes, we need to defend the three better but a relatively new team trying to gel on the road is going to struggle. I.E. Michigan against USC-E.  I want to wait until about ten games in to start to make my assumptions with this team.

HogBreath

Quote from: daprospecta on November 27, 2016, 04:20:50 pm
It's our first loss. Yes, we need to defend the three better but a relatively new team trying to gel on the road is going to struggle. I.E. Michigan against USC-E.  I want to wait until about ten games in to start to make my assumptions with this team.
Sounds reasonable enough..I'm with you on that!!

HognitiveDissonance

Speaking of stupid a** comments...you do realize when you speak of '8 4-stars committed over the next three years' you're talking about Year 7, 8, and 9 of the coach's tenure, don't you? And said players haven't even set foot on campus, much less played a game, much less played up to their ranking? We wouldn't even having these threads, probably, if the coach had signed classes like this in Year 2, 3, and 4 instead of 7,8, and 9. How many coaches even see Year 7, 8, and 9?

GuvHog

Quote from: daprospecta on November 27, 2016, 04:20:50 pm

Right after the games in Spain were concluded, I made the point that this team is young, has several inexperienced players and would struggle in non-conference play this year. I warned against being overconfident about this season, yet there were those that said I didn't know what I was talking about and they predicted as high as a 27 win season. Now after the Hogs got their heads handed to them by Minnesota, these same people are back peddling and saying the things I said back then. Interesting.

HoopS

The season is young.

Truly, losing at Minn should not have shocked anyone.

The key will be how we respond and grow throughout this season.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on November 28, 2016, 09:33:31 am
The season is young.

again, losing a early season road game against a p5 opponent is not a big deal, but losing it the same way we have seen loss after loss for 5 seasons is a big deal because it means no one has learned anything from those losses.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on November 28, 2016, 09:36:26 am
again, losing a early season road game against a p5 opponent is not a big deal, but losing it the same way we have seen loss after loss for 5 seasons is a big deal because it means no one has learned anything from those losses.

Teams sometimes have bad games on the road. How is this shocking to you, especially at the beginning of a season with so many new guys finding their roles as first time starters or contributors.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HoopS on November 28, 2016, 09:33:31 am
The season is young.

I don't think it did.  That is the problem some have with it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 28, 2016, 09:53:27 am
Teams sometimes have bad games on the road. How is this shocking to you, especially at the beginning of a season with so many new guys finding their roles as first time starters or contributors.

We've seen this game 50 times in the last 5 years. Poor rebounding at key times, terrible perimeter defense, bad turnovers ( often unforced ), poor shooting, and a stagnant offense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on November 28, 2016, 10:17:12 am
We've seen this game 50 times in the last 5 years. Poor rebounding at key times, terrible perimeter defense, bad turnovers ( often unforced ), poor shooting, and a stagnant offense.

This is a new team. They are not responsible for the last 5 years. Lets watch them and see how they handle adversity. They may end up surprising you.

pigture perfect

Teams need to learn how to play road games. So we lost one preseason road game. I have been hard on this team and coaching staff for 2 years now, but I still believe we will peak a little later and probably make the dance. If not then we start the firing talk again.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 28, 2016, 11:48:01 am
This is a new team. They are not responsible for the last 5 years. Lets watch them and see how they handle adversity. They may end up surprising you.

On constant is the coach. 5 previous seasons of seeing this means it is something inherent in hwo he is coaching.

HoopS

He is the constant that's true. But each team is new and each team has to grow. It is premature THIS SEASON to give up. At least for those of us who hadn't already given up. If you were already done with MA, then it is what it is. But for now, for me, I will keep watching and believing we are truly getting closer and closer. If this season sucks, I will be ready for a change even with the incoming classes as I believe we have the talent to win NOW.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on November 28, 2016, 01:14:09 pm
He is the constant that's true. But each team is new and each team has to grow. It is premature THIS SEASON to give up. At least for those of us who hadn't already given up. If you were already done with MA, then it is what it is. But for now, for me, I will keep watching and believing we are truly getting closer and closer. If this season sucks, I will be ready for a change even with the incoming classes as I believe we have the talent to win NOW.

I said that night that losing an early season road game to a p5 team is not that big of an issue. The issue was the how.

I have also said I think they make the ncaat this year, so I am not done with this team, but seeing the same things we have seen over and over and over is cause for concern.

PonderinHog

Best thread of the year so far! 

Y'all keep up the good work!   :razorback:

Little Lady Back

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 29, 2016, 07:39:25 am
Best thread of the year so far! 

Y'all keep up the good work!   :razorback:

Agree with you, PonderinHog!! Some of our "fans" are truly amazing...
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Razorbackers

Quote from: Hogfan991 on November 22, 2016, 08:33:22 pm
Gregg Marshall
Greg McDermott
Mark Few
Bill Self (Longshot)

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYBE Greg McDermott will listen to us. The bolded ones are just nonsense, we would have zero shot at getting them. For Bill Self it's less than zero, why do people on here keep bringing him up?

GuvHog

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 29, 2016, 09:01:44 am
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYBE Greg McDermott will listen to us. The bolded ones are just nonsense, we would have zero shot at getting them. For Bill Self it's less than zero, why do people on here keep bringing him up?

Maybe it's because not too long ago when we were looking for a coach, he wanted the job but wasn't offered it.

hobhog

Who is to say the new coach couldn't keep them? You can't keep a coach for future possible players. Besides, I thought this years newbies were supposed to be highly ranked talent. Time will tell if he can use them.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HardingHog on November 23, 2016, 02:28:23 pm
Let's not forget, the great Gregg Marshall was 2-4 last season heading into the month of December with loses to Tulsa, Alabama, USC, and Iowa. It's early, we have several new pieces playing together in their first road game together. If we don't come around and end up at .500 again this season then sure, get your torches and pitchforks to chase Mike out of town. However, nobody is getting fired in November and no coach in a great situation where they have a lifetime contract is leaving to coach us in November either.

Weren't they without their great point guard VanVleet during the early portion of the schedule?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson