Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Expect Mike on hot seat and possible replacements chat

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, November 22, 2016, 08:33:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

He no longer has my support. I attended my last game wth him leading Hogs two weeks ago. We need to move on unless he dances, and he won't.

hobhog

hogmolar

I heard Indiana is looking to fire their coach after a loss to IPFW

WilsonHog

I don't expect his seat will warm up. For that to occur, people have to be paying attention. For people to pay attention, they have to actually care. Judging from the crowds at BWA and the relative lack of pissed off fans on social media, they don't.

Razorback basketball has become the player who the coach eventually stops working with and yelling at, because the coach has given up on him.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hobhog on November 23, 2016, 07:41:18 am
He no longer has my support. I attended my last game wth him leading Hogs two weeks ago. We need to move on unless he dances, and he won't.

Barring injuries or suspensions, this team will be in contention for the NCAAT.  Will be interesting to see what the RPI is heading into the Florida game.  Texas needs to start winning.  They have dropped two straight.  Houston needs to beat Rhode Island at home after our matchup.  We need Minnesota to do well.  Last night was a missed opportunity to get an ooc road win for the resume and RPI.  We know we only have one more shot at that.  Good thing is it is in late January as Mike has usually stumbled into the right rotations by then. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogmolar on November 23, 2016, 08:01:21 am

Tom Crean has averaged 24 wins a year the last five years, with three Sweet Sixteen appearances, in the Big Ten. 

Mike Anderson has averaged 20 wins a year the last five years, with one appearance in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, in the SEC.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 23, 2016, 08:04:22 am
I don't expect his seat will warm up. For that to occur, people have to be paying attention. For people to pay attention, they have to actually care. Judging from the crowds at BWA and the relative lack of pissed off fans on social media, they don't.

Razorback basketball has become the player who the coach eventually stops working with and yelling at, because the coach has given up on him.

Makes me think of some Harry Doyle quotes:

Harry Doyle: One hit,that's all we got, one * hit?

Assistant: You can't say * on the air.

Harry Doyle: Don't worry, nobody is listening anyway.

Harry Doyle: Just a reminder, fans, comin' up is our "Die-hard Night" here at the stadium. Free admission to anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won a pennant.

Harry Doyle: In case you haven't noticed, and judging by the attendance you haven't, the Indians have managed to win a few here and there, and are threatening to climb out of the cellar.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 23, 2016, 08:11:16 am
Tom Crean has averaged 24 wins a year the last five years, with three Sweet Sixteen appearances, in the Big Ten. 

Mike Anderson has averaged 20 wins a year the last five years, with one appearance in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, in the SEC.

you have to admit IU was in a much better place when Crean went there than when Mike arrived.. IU had not been down and out for 15 years...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 23, 2016, 08:15:21 am
you have to admit IU was in a much better place when Crean went there than when Mike arrived.. IU had not been down and out for 15 years...

Holy hell, are you serious? 

Atlhogfan1

Tom Crean, 2008[18]

On April 1, 2008, Crean was hired as head coach of the Indiana Hoosiers, succeeding interim head coach Dan Dakich. Dakich had replaced former coach Kelvin Sampson, who resigned after NCAA recruiting violations. Between Crean's hiring and the start of the 2008–09 season, freshman Eric Gordon opted to leave early for the NBA and star forward DJ White graduated. Two players kicked off the team by Dakich were not allowed back by Crean, one was dismissed by Crean and two transferred.[19] As a result, Crean began with a roster consisting only of two walk-ons who had scored a combined 36 points in their careers. Despite the long odds, Crean was known to approach games and practices as if Indiana could compete in each one and to continue stressing Hoosier Hysteria and the long tradition of success at the school.[2] He was well aware that he was walking into a difficult situation. However, when asked why he left Marquette, Crean replied, "It's Indiana. It's Indiana, and that is the bottom line."[20]

With a depleted roster and damaged recruiting lure, Crean's first three seasons saw consecutive losing records of 6–25 (the worst in school history), 10-21, and 12-20. However, during this period Crean's recruiting classes progressively improved, most notably with the signing of five-star recruit and McDonald's All-American Cody Zeller, an Indiana native. Zeller was the highest ranked recruit to join the Indiana program since the Sampson era.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogmolar on November 23, 2016, 08:01:21 am

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 23, 2016, 08:11:16 am

I think his point was is that you can't put too much emphasis on one loss, especially in basketball, when anybody who knows anything about basketball is aware of the parity that exists in the game today.

Plus, what idiot would compare Crean at Indiana to CMA at Arkansas and say with a straight face that the two programs are equal in terms of inherent advantages in recruiting and fan support.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

hobhog

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on November 23, 2016, 08:28:32 am
I love Hog fans.

Once again: This is not fan issue. We have facilities, fan support and money to have top 20 program. Just need right coach. We haven't had it. We can find it.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 23, 2016, 08:24:58 am
Tom Crean, 2008[18]

On April 1, 2008, Crean was hired as head coach of the Indiana Hoosiers, succeeding interim head coach Dan Dakich. Dakich had replaced former coach Kelvin Sampson, who resigned after NCAA recruiting violations. Between Crean's hiring and the start of the 2008–09 season, freshman Eric Gordon opted to leave early for the NBA and star forward DJ White graduated. Two players kicked off the team by Dakich were not allowed back by Crean, one was dismissed by Crean and two transferred.[19] As a result, Crean began with a roster consisting only of two walk-ons who had scored a combined 36 points in their careers. Despite the long odds, Crean was known to approach games and practices as if Indiana could compete in each one and to continue stressing Hoosier Hysteria and the long tradition of success at the school.[2] He was well aware that he was walking into a difficult situation. However, when asked why he left Marquette, Crean replied, "It's Indiana. It's Indiana, and that is the bottom line."[20]

With a depleted roster and damaged recruiting lure, Crean's first three seasons saw consecutive losing records of 6–25 (the worst in school history), 10-21, and 12-20. However, during this period Crean's recruiting classes progressively improved, most notably with the signing of five-star recruit and McDonald's All-American Cody Zeller, an Indiana native. Zeller was the highest ranked recruit to join the Indiana program since the Sampson era.

I understand he had to rebuild.. and it was not pretty.. Mike had some issues to deal with as well, APR etc.. heck we had a coach that we hired, leave the same day he got here... we were a wreck and had been on one for 15 years.. and though we have some tradition, we were not IU..

my3boneheads

Two days ago people were posting that this was the year of the hog and now because of one game we are firing Coach Anderson? Feast or famine in Hogville.

hogmolar

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 23, 2016, 08:26:51 am
I think his point was is that you can't put too much emphasis on one loss, especially in basketball, when anybody who knows anything about basketball is aware of the parity that exists in the game today.

Plus, what idiot would compare Crean at Indiana to CMA at Arkansas and say with a straight face that the two programs are equal in terms of inherent advantages in recruiting and fan support.
This is correct.  Hoping people will see that we are having a knee jerk reaction to 1 November loss.  I am not saying that Anderson is not in a place to be fired at the end of the season but to make that conclusion after 1 game and it being the first true D 1 road game for most of these players is crazy.   

cardsNhogs

Billy D not doing so well at OKC right now.

lefty08

I've got a feeling some of you guys quit your jobs after having a bad day at the office. Some of you handle emotions like a 13 year old girl, it's just a zit, get over it
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lefty08 on November 23, 2016, 09:10:19 am
I've got a feeling some of you guys quit your jobs after having a bad day at the office. Some of you handle emotions like a 13 year old girl, it's just a zit, get over it
Quote from: hogmolar on November 23, 2016, 09:03:04 am
This is correct.  Hoping people will see that we are having a knee jerk reaction to 1 November loss.  I am not saying that Anderson is not in a place to be fired at the end of the season but to make that conclusion after 1 game and it being the first true D 1 road game for most of these players is crazy.

Last night was Mike's 170th game at Arkansas.  Those being critical have been clear it isn't the one game.  It is 169 games + what happened last night.  Not unreasonable. 

Quitting over one bad day is stupid.  Agreed.  Quitting after a bad day in year 6 of the job after that day went like many other bad days have means you are tired of the bad days. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 23, 2016, 09:24:22 am
Last night was Mike's 170th game at Arkansas.  Those being critical have been clear it isn't the one game.  It is 169 games + what happened last night.  Not unreasonable. 

Quitting over one bad day is stupid.  Agreed.  Quitting after a bad day in year 6 of the job after that day went like many other bad days have means you are tired of the bad days.

so Mike has lost those 170 games?  thus the reason to bitch?  guess you could say the same about the defense in FB, over and over, the same thing... year 4, the same old defense... yada, yada, yada...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 23, 2016, 09:38:59 am
so Mike has lost those 170 games?  thus the reason to bitch?  guess you could say the same about the defense in FB, over and over, the same thing... year 4, the same old defense... yada, yada, yada...

Yes he has lost 170 games. 

Defense has been a struggle since at least 1990 if we ignore events like Miami or Texas 1987.  It is worse than even normal now.  I don't really get your deflection but if you want a critical discussion of our football defense and coaching we can go over to MMQB.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 23, 2016, 09:42:20 am
Yes he has lost 170 games. 

Defense has been a struggle since at least 1990 if we ignore events like Miami or Texas 1987.  It is worse than even normal now.  I don't really get your deflection but if you want a critical discussion of our football defense and coaching we can go over to MMQB.

your post said at Arkansas and I'm sure in your eyes he did lose all those games... I brought up football for context, same things happening over and over, yet not a peep.. it shows your bias against one sport ...

WilsonHog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 23, 2016, 09:49:50 am
your post said at Arkansas and I'm sure in your eyes he did lose all those games... I brought up football for context, same things happening over and over, yet not a peep.. it shows your bias against one sport ...

Bias based on success is not, "bias." It's results-based.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 23, 2016, 09:49:50 am

Not a peep from whom?  Miss the Miss St game thread Saturday night?  Post-AU week comments?  If you want to have a discussion with me, be honest.  Do a little research.  My post history is here.  I don't hide from it. 

I'll do a little work for you:
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 19, 2016, 06:43:27 pm
3rd and [CENSORED] 24 and you play so soft their best wr can catch it 21 yards downfield and run with it.  Fire the entire defensive staff.  I don't care if you can't hire anyone for the positions.  This group shouldn't be coaching.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 23, 2016, 10:08:10 am

my bad, your right, your as irrational about FB as you are about BB.. guess I should of known...  I just didn't see your posts saying the same thing over and over as I do in this forum.. I stand corrected... I'll look a little closer next time.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 23, 2016, 10:27:12 am
my bad, your right, your as irrational about FB as you are about BB.. guess I should of known...  I just didn't see your posts saying the same thing over and over as I do in this forum.. I stand corrected... I'll look a little closer next time.

Emotional.  I am not close to emotional about the BB program. You really wouldn't like my posts if I allowed myself to be. 

elksnort

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 23, 2016, 08:15:21 am
My goodness, basketball does not take too long to rebuild.

Dr. Starcs

We need a practice facility.

Kevin

if your a power 5 program looking for a coach it should be a two man race
archie miller
greg marshall
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The_Iceman

Quote from: Kevin on November 23, 2016, 11:31:52 am
archie miller
greg marshall

They have turned down better jobs than Arkansas already.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 23, 2016, 11:34:18 am
They have turned down better jobs than Arkansas already.

Good luck trying to reason with the 4th dumbest fan base.

HardingHog

Let's not forget, the great Gregg Marshall was 2-4 last season heading into the month of December with loses to Tulsa, Alabama, USC, and Iowa. It's early, we have several new pieces playing together in their first road game together. If we don't come around and end up at .500 again this season then sure, get your torches and pitchforks to chase Mike out of town. However, nobody is getting fired in November and no coach in a great situation where they have a lifetime contract is leaving to coach us in November either.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HardingHog on November 23, 2016, 02:28:23 pm
Let's not forget, the great Gregg Marshall was 2-4 last season heading into the month of December with loses to Tulsa, Alabama, USC, and Iowa. It's early, we have several new pieces playing together in their first road game together. If we don't come around and end up at .500 again this season then sure, get your torches and pitchforks to chase Mike out of town. However, nobody is getting fired in November and no coach in a great situation where they have a lifetime contract is leaving to coach us in November either.

Co-sign.

ballinhog

GoHogs1091

These 2 should probably be on the list.

Jeremy Cox

Has coached in the Big 12 (Texas A&M and Texas Tech), the SEC (Kentucky), Big East (South Florida), and the Big 10 (Nebraska).

Cox's record as a Head Coach    224 wins  68 losses over 9 seasons    76.7% winning percentage    24.8 wins per season average

A National Championship as a Head Coach in 2006.

Has coached 14 student-athletes who have ended up in the NBA.

http://www.sfajacks.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/jeremy_cox_1023497.html

Greg Heiar

In his 6th season at Wichita State as an Assistant to Gregg Marshall.

Heiar's record as a Head Coach    164 wins  15 losses over 6 seasons      91.6% winning percentage    27.3 wins per season average

During his 6 seasons as a Head Coach, he coached 40 all-conference players and he sent 39 players to Division I schools.

http://goshockers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=521&mobile=skip

Paul

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 23, 2016, 10:30:43 am
Emotional.  I am not close to emotional about the BB program. You really wouldn't like my posts if I allowed myself to be.
Is apathy an emotion?  I'm getting there

hogsmash12

Why is this even a thread?  Let this year play out and show some patience.  This team will continue to improve as the chemistry gels.  Then we have two outstanding recruiting classes coming in.  We will begin to see consistency.  Mike Anderson is going nowhere nor should he.

The_Iceman

A coach we passed over for Mike Anderson just beat #25 Michigan to go 5-0 at South Carolina.

johnfanman

Absolutely idiotic post. Recruiting it great right now.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

RedRock

Just get a no name that can coach 2017 basketball.

Sivad

Quote from: userpick on November 22, 2016, 09:22:02 pm
People are saying MA will be here as long as he wants. That's incorrect. If we fail to make the NCAAT and there's only 5,000 people at games, he gone.
Don't bet on it.

Sivad

cosmodrum

Quote from: userpick on November 22, 2016, 09:22:02 pm
People are saying MA will be here as long as he wants. That's incorrect. If we fail to make the NCAAT and there's only 5,000 people at games, he gone.

The attendance part I agree with. Otherwise, he is like a professor with tenure. Damn near has to murder someone to lose his job.
Go away, batin'

Kevin

Quote from: johnfanman on November 23, 2016, 06:35:03 pm
Absolutely idiotic post. Recruiting it great right now.

if the season goes bad, this will be the battle cry, you cannot fire him, because of all the recruits he has committed.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

cosmodrum

Quote from: Kevin on November 23, 2016, 11:31:52 am
archie miller
greg marshall

Us? Archie Bunker or Garry Marshall
Go away, batin'

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 23, 2016, 06:17:23 pm
A coach we passed over for Mike Anderson just beat #25 Michigan to go 5-0 at South Carolina.

Frank Martin first four years
70-63 overall
26-46 SEC
1 NIT

Mike Anderson first four years
86-48 overall
39 -31 SEC
1 NIT
1 NCAA

HogBreath

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 23, 2016, 11:19:04 am
We need a practice facility.
Yeah...why don't we have one yet?  Not a game, not a game facility, but one for...P r a c t i c e.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HogBreath

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 23, 2016, 04:13:26 pm
These 2 should probably be on the list.

Jeremy Cox

Has coached in the Big 12 (Texas A&M and Texas Tech), the SEC (Kentucky), Big East (South Florida), and the Big 10 (Nebraska).

Cox's record as a Head Coach    224 wins  68 losses over 9 seasons    76.7% winning percentage    24.8 wins per season average

A National Championship as a Head Coach in 2006.

Has coached 14 student-athletes who have ended up in the NBA.

http://www.sfajacks.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/jeremy_cox_1023497.html

Greg Heiar

In his 6th season at Wichita State as an Assistant to Gregg Marshall.

Heiar's record as a Head Coach    164 wins  15 losses over 6 seasons      91.6% winning percentage    27.3 wins per season average

During his 6 seasons as a Head Coach, he coached 40 all-conference players and he sent 39 players to Division I schools.

http://goshockers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=521&mobile=skip
Sounds good to me..just put their names in a hat and draw one out.  Should be a major upgrade.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

LA Football fan

We will win the majority of our home games and lose the majority of our road SEC games.  We will be a bubble team for NIT or NCAA come March.  Rinse and repeat. 

I do think that if our recruiting classes for the next couple years come to pass that the talent level will be good enough to overcome the coaching they will be getting.  Mike is who he is and games like Minnesota are going to happen EVERY year as long as he is coach here.  I am used to it, expect it, and when on the rare occasion his team plays well on the road surprised by it.   In my mind the ONLY reason to keep him is he actually has gone out and assembled a pretty dang good recruiting class and no matter how this season pans out, I think you have to give him a chance to coach those recruits, at least for a couple years.  If he cannot get that type talent to win at a high level then you fire him then and bring in a coach that can take advantage of that talent.  Those recruits are his leverage and he won't be fired, no matter how this season ends up. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 24, 2016, 10:37:22 am
Frank Martin first four years
70-63 overall
26-46 SEC
1 NIT

Mike Anderson first four years
86-48 overall
39 -31 SEC
1 NIT
1 NCAA

Doesn't matter. Frank Martin's 5th year Gamecock team is doing what a  coaches 5th year team at a D1 school should be doing. Kicking a ranked team's butt.

Now go back and take a close look at Mike's 5th year Hog team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!