Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Moses is really struggling

Started by hobhog, November 19, 2016, 09:06:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

He has learned nothing about fouling early and his post game is non existent. Going to be long season if he doesn't get it going. I don't get it.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hobhog on November 19, 2016, 09:06:37 am
He has learned nothing about fouling early and his post game is non existent. Going to be long season if he doesn't get it going. I don't get it.

Still early but he needs to work the kinks out before the conference season. May be pressing to impress the scouts? Don't know but sure the staff will work to get him on track.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hawgrunner

Ironhawg

How much of his struggling might be due to the officials still trying to work out how they are going to call games this season?  I've seen complaints from other games already this season about officials turning games into free throw shooting contests.

hobhog

Quote from: hawgrunner on November 19, 2016, 09:30:13 am
could of been just an off night?

He just hasn't looked right in other games too. I watched him live in first game and he never seemed to get in the flow. Still fouls too early and it takes him out of the game. Opponents know it and attack him early. Shouldn't be an issue senior year.

The_Iceman

I hate these new refs. You can't touch a guard on the perimeter, but you can hack the hell out of someone down low.

jjdlc

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2016, 10:03:46 am
I hate these new refs. You can't touch a guard on the perimeter, but you can hack the hell out of someone down low.

That's the part that is really frustrating,  you breathe on the guard and it's a foul but you can absolutely mug the big guy inside, and nothing.

I haven't heard anyone who likes watching this mess, I don't know why they continue pushing for it.

k.c.hawg

First 2 games he averaged 9.5 shots which was similar to last year. Last night regardless of foul trouble he played 30 minutes and got 5 shots. That is unacceptable. I've watched all 3 games  I didn't pay close enough attention to him last last night to know if he was working hard enough to make himself available in the post or if we just didn't give him looks.

Last year he averaged around 10 shots and 7 free throws per game. Free throws are down. We can actually get by with less offense from him at times as long as he stays fully engaged with shot blocking and rebounding. He does however need to be established as a threat in every game. Last night definitely not a good job of doing that.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

k.c.hawg

Game 1  28 min  9 shots   9 pts  9 reb  7 blocks

Game 2 22 min  10 shots  15 pts  7 reb  5 blocks

Game 3 30 min   5 shots   5 pts   3 reb  4 blocks
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

PonderinHog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on November 19, 2016, 10:52:44 am
First 2 games he averaged 9.5 shots which was similar to last year. Last night regardless of foul trouble he played 30 minutes and got 5 shots. That is unacceptable. I've watched all 3 games  I didn't pay close enough attention to him last last night to know if he was working hard enough to make himself available in the post or if we just didn't give him looks.

Last year he averaged around 10 shots and 7 free throws per game. Free throws are down. We can actually get by with less offense from him at times as long as he stays fully engaged with shot blocking and rebounding. He does however need to be established as a threat in every game. Last night definitely not a good job of doing that.
They missed some opportunities to feed the beast last night.  Not sure how many, but there were a few.  But he still got four more blocks.

hobhog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on November 19, 2016, 11:00:18 am
Game 1  28 min  9 shots   9 pts  9 reb  7 blocks

Game 2 22 min  10 shots  15 pts  7 reb  5 blocks

Game 3 30 min   5 shots   5 pts   3 reb  4 blocks

Decent, but not Player of the Year material. Hoping it changes for the better as we need him to be successful this year....

HognitiveDissonance

Must get a minimum of 10 shots a game.

He's simply not getting the ball enough. He can score, and the game is always played better when played inside/out, anyway.

HognitiveDissonance

I doubted he would win POY anyway, so not worried about that.
It was a nice preseason honor, though.
Just need to get him more involved.
When I was playing, sometimes coaches would tell us 'this guy must touch the ball at least once every posession'. That was their way of ensuring it happened. Those who didn't comply were taken out.

HardingHog

Or maybe other teams consider him to be our best player and are game planning around stopping him and just hoping we don't hit shots on the outside. However, this year with this roster we have multiple guys that can score at every level, so even though he may get (relatively) shut down we have enough talent around him where we'll win games where he scores under 10 points

King Kong

mhuff

Quote from: HardingHog on November 19, 2016, 11:37:04 am
Or maybe other teams consider him to be our best player and are game planning around stopping him and just hoping we don't hit shots on the outside. However, this year with this roster we have multiple guys that can score at every level, so even though he may get (relatively) shut down we have enough talent around him where we'll win games where he scores under 10 points

As long as we keep scoring in the paint, the outside game will take of itself . It can't treat early games like they're midseason games. Enough of negativism. How about the comeback. Nobody quit. Atta boy players and coaches. I like wins better than losses .

sadhogfan

MK might be pressing a bit, and the foul trouble has been problematic, but I think we are also witnessing the effects of the loss of a true point guard like Jabril Durham. I love our new guards, and they do a lot of things well, but getting the ball to Moses in a position where he can do something with it is not a strong suit.

I think we'll get things worked out and that Moses will have a productive season, but if it does not become a team focus to feed the ball to him down low, his scoring numbers will not be what they were last year (which is not necessarily a bad thing if our scoring is more balanced, but doesn't bode well for MK's individual honors).

Rawker

I didn't have as much of a problem with his lackluster offense against UTA - except Trey in comparison gave way more effort on offensive rebounds - but his defensive positioning was unbelievably atrocious and contributed significantly to the really bad start for the Hogs.  Even when the rest of the team got it going on, mid-second-half, Kingsley had a play where he was defending high-post without recognition of where the ball was, and while he was looking completely away, the 5'10" guard waltzed along the baseline for a layup.  Kingsley never did know it happened.   I hope it was all a matter of MK just being in a funk that night.  That 7' 1" dude and Bilboa gave him Hell, but things aren't going to get any better for him in terms of competition.

hawgrunner

Quote from: hobhog on November 19, 2016, 09:33:47 am
He just hasn't looked right in other games too. I watched him live in first game and he never seemed to get in the flow. Still fouls too early and it takes him out of the game. Opponents know it and attack him early. Shouldn't be an issue senior year.

let's hope things change.

poloprince

Quote from: hobhog on November 19, 2016, 09:33:47 am

First two games were workman like and acceptable performances. Against UT-Arlington I don't have a problem with the point total. It was just an off game for the team, but the 3 rebounds in 30 minutes is unacceptable for a player of his caliber.

Beast Mo looks right to me besides he seems to be pressing at times to score or make an impression on NBA scouts, but i don't see a player that is really struggling. He stills gets lost when he's switched out on the perimeter and the coaching staff is going to have to make the adjustment to keep him underneath the basket because DT and 3 guards trying to get rebounds over the bigs on the other team ain't gone cut it.

Oh yea and plays like the coast to coast stuff need to cease. He needs to give that ball up and keep running and trust his teammates will get him the rock.

$PoLoPrInCe$

1hawgballer2

Quote from: hobhog on November 19, 2016, 09:06:37 am

Response-
I see a coupler things going on here, first keep in mind this young man started to play basketball late in his early life. meaning he is constantly learning nuances as how teams will play him whether down low or out away from the basket. It appears this last team packed it in on the hawgs forcing then to shoot outside. He also has a target on his back as preseason number 1 in the SEC. I believe he will be okay as this team continues to jell

hogwood

I haven't noticed MK taking and making any mid-rangers yet. Last year that was a really nice facet of his game that had people talking. If he can get those face-up mid-rangers going again I will be happy.

HawgnCorona

It is the beginning of the season, we know what he can do...he has plenty of help around him and we dont need him to score big each nite. He will find his groove...so relax.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Danny J

We are not going to rely on him quite as much with the addition of a lot of better scorers than we had last year. He is still going to have great games but remember early last year his defense especially was very inconsistent. I even created a thread about him trying to block literally every shot. He is doing the same thing again this year. He needs to block shots obviously but don't leave your feet quite as much.

Moses will be fine. This team is still feeling each other out. It's nice having a starting 5 and 2 bench players (Jones and Beard) that can on any given night lead us in scoring. Last year we had only 3 total. I worry more about our defense and fouls than our offense...

hobhog

10 points 10 boards 3 blocks fouled out.

nwahogfan1

Moses is not a low post.  he likes to play on top facing the basket.  Mike knew this and should have recruited a 5 man to play down low so Moses could play the high post or the 4 spot. 

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 23, 2016, 11:12:04 pm
Moses is not a low post.  he likes to play on top facing the basket.  Mike knew this and should have recruited a 5 man to play down low so Moses could play the high post or the 4 spot.
Thats something we desperately need. A player with the size and skill set that Kennedy Meeks of UNC has.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Jonteviosk

Quote from: hawgrunner on November 19, 2016, 09:30:13 am
could of been just an off night?

I think you mean 4 off nights don't you.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

hobhog

Thompson and Moses need to play more with Thompson up top. It worked great last year but we hardly ever do it.

Letsroll1200

It's a team that has not established its identity on offense. Arkansas has to deliberately get Moses touches on offense when the game slows down.

Our offense right now is basically shoot the ball whenever you feel like it. Our guards have to move better off the ball. We do too much standing watching the ball handler beat the ball. I hear coach Anderson hollering move the ball several times throughout the game. I think we have some pieces but we have to find some kind of rhythm on offense.

Kevin

he is not a back to the basket post.

he is an athletic big, he needs space to be effective. he is not a grinder on the low block
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hobhog

Again he struggles. We are definitely a guard oriented team. They don't seem to know how to get him involved, and Thompson acts like he'd rather be somewhere else.

jdlittle

Monk is right,  Anderson is not a good offensive coach.     sad day to be a razorback fan.

Letsroll1200

We have to get Moses going before Houston. The next two games at home is huge.

Iwastherein1969

Here's the deal with Moses. Last year he was willing to D-up and get scrap baskets off of our guards shooting 22 footers which bound hard off the rim. This year our guards need to run the offense THROUGH the #5 position and head to open creases around the defense in case Moses cannot get a decent shot off due to being double teamed. A center will run the floor only so much if he is not getting the ball in the paint from entry passes from the guards. If our guards don't get it together and realize the best player on the team resides in the paint, this year will not be nearly as good as expected. FEED MOSES THE BALL !!
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

TexArkHogFan

I am reading all kinds of reasons why Moses is struggling but I am wondering if him being picked SEC pre season player of the year may have adversely affected his play.  Is he paying too much attention to the hype?
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rude1 on November 28, 2016, 07:45:47 pm
We are NOT a good defensive team. If you wonder whats wrong with Moses, just count his touches, we are a guard heavy team and there aren't too many passes before it's headed to the rim. The few touches he gets, he feels he needs to make something happen because it's highly unlikely it comes back again. Need to emphasize to the guards to play inside out.

rude1 gives a good example why I question any talented or high upside post player signing with Anderson.  Combo guards, wings, SF's, the tweener combo fwds I get.  Post players though make little sense.  Moses could be part of an unreal defensive team at Louisville.  He would fit in perfectly with Pitino's extremely long, tall team.  Instead he came to the guard centric Anderson system where our guards even ignored Portis for stretches of games. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on November 29, 2016, 03:22:55 pm
I am reading all kinds of reasons why Moses is struggling but I am wondering if him being picked SEC pre season player of the year may have adversely affected his play.  Is he paying too much attention to the hype?

I was shocked when they announced he was preseason POTY. I just don't see it.

poloprince

Quote from: jdlittle on November 28, 2016, 08:23:53 pm
Monk is right,  Anderson is not a good offensive coach.     sad day to be a razorback fan.

WWW??
$PoLoPrInCe$

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 29, 2016, 03:38:30 pm
rude1 gives a good example why I question any talented or high upside post player signing with Anderson.  Combo guards, wings, SF's, the tweener combo fwds I get.  Post players though make little sense.  Moses could be part of an unreal defensive team at Louisville.  He would fit in perfectly with Pitino's extremely long, tall team.  Instead he came to the guard centric Anderson system where our guards even ignored Portis for stretches of games.

Early in the second half during yesterday game they made a effort to give him the ball. I agree we need a Cory Beck that would move others out the way to force feed Moses.

You have to feed the big man. Macon made a comment last night about Moses. He mentioned something about Moses need to know that he's playing with scoring guards. No Sir!!! That comment let me know that Macon has to come off the bench. I think he will be more effective in that role.

We need a lead guard that says Moses we are riding with you. This team can not afford to lose Moses.

Danny J

Moses HAS to demand the ball...when a stoppage occurs he needs to let the guard who decided to dribble around and jack a jumper have it. When our inside game works our outside game will as well.

Still...as I mentioned above I am more worried about our defense. Our defense is what is going to lose us 90% of our games...not our offense.

rude1

You have to remember the differences between last years team and this years team. Last year Moses was option 1-3 easily on most trips down, our shooters weren't really great creators on their own so the ball a lot of times went inside out. We are much more perimeter oriented right now with guys who can create off the bounce. Where does Moses fit into this? He is no longer option 1-3 when we come down, he is likely to see the ball once per trip down and sometimes that's out of his scoring area, which is why he is pressing out there and continuing to fire up that mid range jumper that is not falling. If we are going to get Moses going, the guards are going to have make an effort to get him going, he has to feel when it comes in to him and the double comes, if he is patient and kick it back out, he will see it again.

rude1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 29, 2016, 03:38:30 pm
Huh? BP in the pros, Moses voted pre season player of the year after an outstanding junior season. Not sure I now what you are talking about.

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on November 29, 2016, 06:31:39 pm
You have to remember the differences between last years team and this years team. Last year Moses was option 1-3 easily on most trips down, our shooters weren't really great creators on their own so the ball a lot of times went inside out. We are much more perimeter oriented right now with guys who can create off the bounce. Where does Moses fit into this? He is no longer option 1-3 when we come down, he is likely to see the ball once per trip down and sometimes that's out of his scoring area, which is why he is pressing out there and continuing to fire up that mid range jumper that is not falling. If we are going to get Moses going, the guards are going to have make an effort to get him going, he has to feel when it comes in to him and the double comes, if he is patient and kick it back out, he will see it again.
Exactly...its a nice problem to have. I mentioned before the season even started that Moses' point production would go down and even his rebounding numbers with the addition of a guy like Thomas. His scoring was always going to go down. There are only so many possessions and shots to go around.

Moses just needs to keep his head in the game and confidence high. We are going to need him no doubt about it.

Pigasaurus

Averaged close to triple double 2/3 games.  I think we can give him and new players time to jell.  Can't pass it to himself.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Atlhogfan1

November 29, 2016, 08:11:38 pm #45 Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:29:50 pm by Atlhogfan1
Quote from: rude1 on November 29, 2016, 06:40:29 pm
Huh? BP in the pros, Moses voted pre season player of the year after an outstanding junior season. Not sure I now what you are talking about.

Portis 2014-15 had a few games where our guards would go stretches where they didn't get him touches. The same darn you discussed last night w the current guards. 

Portis is learning how to play. He had talent and desire and could have gotten to the NBA from almost anywhere. Plus he is more of a face the basket player.

Kind of like Demaryius Thomas. He went from GT to NFL but doesn't mean GT was the best fit for a wr like him.  I don't believe Ark bask right now is the best fit for a post player. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Letsroll1200

We have to get Moses the ball inside against Houston. Watching Houston play LSU. Houston will not be a cake walk.

rude1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 29, 2016, 08:11:38 pm
Huh?  How [CENSORED] hard is it to understand.

Portis 2014-15 had a few games where our guards would go stretches where they didn't get him touches. The same darn you discussed last night w the current guards. 
You were the one saying you don't see why a big man would come play for CMA. What did Portis do? What did Moses do last season? Don't try and twist what I said to fit your agenda. I was pointing out that RIGHT NOW we are perimeter oriented and our guards aren't looking to establish the post, they are looking for their offense.

Danny J

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 29, 2016, 08:15:45 pm
We have to get Moses the ball inside against Houston. Watching Houston play LSU. Houston will not be a cake walk.
Yeah...going to struggle some early while this team figures things out.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rude1 on November 29, 2016, 08:26:24 pm
You were the one saying you don't see why a big man would come play for CMA. What did Portis do? What did Moses do last season? Don't try and twist what I said to fit your agenda. I was pointing out that RIGHT NOW we are perimeter oriented and our guards aren't looking to establish the post, they are looking for their offense.

No agenda. Modified previous post. I was agreeing with you. But I know you like to be critical alone.