Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN's take on Malik Monk vs. Arkansas

Started by Biggus Piggus, November 01, 2016, 01:59:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17894086/after-turning-arkansas-malik-monk-star-kentucky-wildcats

The writer quoted Mike Irwin as saying this on the air:

"He hasn't seen pressure like he's going to see now," Irwin said on air after Monk committed. "He's nobody. He will become nobody to most Razorbacks fans. ... Not only is it an insult that it happened, but he went to the one place that is just unacceptable, which is 'I'm a one-and-done.' OK. Stand up two years ago and announce that you're a one-and-done. Do that because you better move because, look, I know how this stuff works. I've seen it."
[CENSORED]!

navyhog24

yraciv

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 01, 2016, 02:13:59 pm
Who is this Malik character?

Just another potential name on that growing list of 1st round Kentucky draft picks.

010HogFan

skinnypig

outlawhogeywells

funny how the article says the used car salesman is producing all this NBA talent.  Those kids, Monk included would be in the NBA if they played at UCA.  Those players are not at Kentucky long enough for him to make them NBA talent. 
If you want to look at him producing NBA talent go look at the twins that went there a few years ago and ask them how he got them to the NBA

LordStanleysHog

I don't post much anymore but this article... it's a damn shame Kentucky doesn't come here this year... oh, and how are things working our for Mr. Goodwin these days?

Hawg Red

I see Monk following possibly the same path as Archie Goodwin in that he will be drafted into the NBA as a very flawed prospect. He's 6'3 and very slender. He will have to play point guard to make it in the NBA unless he suddenly becomes a lock-down defender a la Avery Bradley. Those are the two major knocks on him (and they are major). Can't play the point and can't defend. How is he a serious NBA prospect? Just like with Archie. Can't shoot or defend. Now his NBA future is in doubt.

NBA is full of dudes just as athletic as Malik Monk. I say this with absolute objectivity, but he is really nothing special as an NBA prospect. I'm aware he's projected very high. That happens to players who flame out all the time. He could always develop, but how many undersized SGs successfully convert to PG or CG and go from poor defender to solid defender? Sounds more like a fringe 1st round talent to me (like Goodwin). But he'll score some points in his one college season and have some eye-popping dunks.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: LordStanleysHog on November 01, 2016, 04:13:11 pm
I don't post much anymore but this article... it's a damn shame Kentucky doesn't come here this year... oh, and how are things working our for Mr. Goodwin these days?

1ST R Pick, Millionaire at 22, at worst owed $2 million by the Suns if no team picks him up, but he won't get that WM operations or people manager job probably or Tyson or Arkla if it is still around.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

azhog10

He's going to have to improve his jump shot period. I'm thinking with his set of skills, he's at best a Randy Foye type of prospect. Not a great defender, undersized, but can shoot (this is if he develops his shot). Lot of guys in the NBA now are athletic. That seems to be the easy part for them. The guys that truly separate themselves can shoot it, or play defense, or can do both.

Atlhogfan1

I understand Malik's choice.  Business decision. 

I think what Medcalf left out especially when he decided to quote Irwin is Marcus' actions before The Decision and his asking for support and getting it from Hog supporters for his AAU ventures. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

pigture perfect

I don't know if I've ever been more disappointed in a former Hog than Marcus Monk. Just can't stand the guy.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2016, 04:46:34 pm
1ST R Pick, Millionaire at 22, at worst owed $2 million by the Suns if no team picks him up, but he won't get that WM operations or people manager job probably or Tyson or Arkla if it is still around.
I wouldn't call him a millionaire, at least from what I've heard. He will make about 5.4million total in his four seasons, however between taxes and agent fees he will be lucky to have gotten 1.5-2 million in pocket. Consider the fact, from what I've hear from some folks around Sylvan Hills, Archie hasn't been exactly "smart" with his young money. So i HIGHLY doubt Mr. Goodwin is a millionaire.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on November 01, 2016, 04:53:15 pm
I wouldn't call him a millionaire, at least from what I've heard. He will make about 5.4million total in his four seasons, however between taxes and agent fees he will be lucky to have gotten 1.5-2 million in pocket. Consider the fact, from what I've hear from some folks around Sylvan Hills, Archie hasn't been exactly "smart" with his young money. So i HIGHLY doubt Mr. Goodwin is a millionaire.

That is his decision with his money.  The opportunity to have and spend that money has been there. 

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2016, 04:54:47 pm
That is his decision with his money.  The opportunity to have and spend that money has been there.
Don't disagree. Just saying the kid is not a millionaire. He has over his early lifetime made over a million dollars, but so have I, and I am not a millionaire.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on November 01, 2016, 04:55:36 pm
Don't disagree. Just saying the kid is not a millionaire. He has over his early lifetime made over a million dollars, but so have I, and I am not a millionaire.

He may be with assets.  You don't know.  He did what he wanted to do.  Be a 1st R pick and play in the NBA.  And his career may not be over although I'm sure most of you here hopes it is over and he is broke and homeless in Little Rock.

WaltKowalski

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2016, 04:58:56 pm
He may be with assets.  You don't know.  He did what he wanted to do.  Be a 1st R pick and play in the NBA.  And his career may not be over although I'm sure most of you here hopes it is over and he is broke and homeless in Little Rock.

Why so negative

lumphog

lumphog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2016, 04:58:56 pm
Won't be Little Rock!!!!!

MountieDawg

Archie got cut, his career will not be done.  I am sure he has made more money in the last couple years than all the posters on this thread combined.  The reason he got cut was because there were 4 other Kentucky guards that made the cut for Phoenix. More than 5% of the NBA this year is of former Calipari players. I agree with you going to Kentucky doesn't guarantee you will get drafted higher, but you will go against better competition in practice every day, you will be on the biggest stage in college basketball with the greatest and most college basketball fans. There is also a better than average chance you will make it to the Final Four at Kentucky.

As far as Malik's outside shooting, he did win the 3 point competition in the McDonalds All-American game last year so he is not an awful shooter.  He is not a pure shooter probably because of the lift he gets on his jump shot. He has a great mid range game and can finish at the rim very well.
SEC!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WaltKowalski on November 01, 2016, 05:20:32 pm
Why so negative

Why are you asking me?  I am not the one making the neg comment about Monk and AG.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 01, 2016, 04:30:45 pm
I see Monk following possibly the same path as Archie Goodwin in that he will be drafted into the NBA as a very flawed prospect. He's 6'3 and very slender. He will have to play point guard to make it in the NBA unless he suddenly becomes a lock-down defender a la Avery Bradley. Those are the two major knocks on him (and they are major). Can't play the point and can't defend. How is he a serious NBA prospect? Just like with Archie. Can't shoot or defend. Now his NBA future is in doubt.

NBA is full of dudes just as athletic as Malik Monk. I say this with absolute objectivity, but he is really nothing special as an NBA prospect. I'm aware he's projected very high. That happens to players who flame out all the time. He could always develop, but how many undersized SGs successfully convert to PG or CG and go from poor defender to solid defender? Sounds more like a fringe 1st round talent to me (like Goodwin). But he'll score some points in his one college season and have some eye-popping dunks.

He is nearly exact same measurables as Russell Westbrook and a much better prospect than RW at same stage. Not proclaiming he will be a top 5 NBA player, but to say he is too slender and not a serious prospect is a bit far fetched. I wouldn't mind seeing him falter a bit, but don't see that happening at this point. 

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on November 01, 2016, 03:55:12 pm

If you want to look at him producing NBA talent go look at the twins that went there a few years ago and ask them how he got them to the NBA

Both on NBA rosters. Andrew is doing a decent job as a backup PG for Memphis.

hogwood

If Monk was here this year we'd all be saying how he's the next Russell Westbrook or something. Now he's going to flame out as a late 1st rounder? Sounds jaded to me.

He made a bad decision IMO. He could have a unique legend here at Arkansas but instead will just be another platoon one and done player for the blue bloods. Plus he has completely alienated his home. And that won't soon change.

root_hawg

He helps to bring KY a championship, he will have a new home.  Plus he doesn't have pro scouts coming to watch his PRACTICE at the hill nor is their a pro day for him on the hill. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: root_hawg on November 01, 2016, 09:09:16 pm
He helps to bring KY a championship, he will have a new home. Plus he doesn't have pro scouts coming to watch his PRACTICE at the hill nor is their a pro day for him on the hill.

None of this would impact his draft status

root_hawg

FineAsSwine

Quote from: root_hawg on November 01, 2016, 09:19:23 pm
Exposure helps

He would have had exposure at Arkansas. The scouts would have come here and at road games as well.

root_hawg

They are coming to his PRACTICE!  Read that again, PRACTICE ... and they have a Pro Day at Kentucky .... not even close.

Plus what are the rankings for each time this year?

grayhawg

Quote from: root_hawg on November 01, 2016, 09:33:43 pm
They are coming to his PRACTICE!  Read that again, PRACTICE ... and they have a Pro Day at Kentucky .... not even close.

Plus what are the rankings for each time this year?
Didn't some come to Bentonville?

Letsroll1200

I'm not mad at Malik!!! Let the kid live his life. We don't have to beat down every recruit that leaves the state. Arkansas basketball program is in a good spot regardless of His decision.

I love how Anderson handled this situation because it has played off for our program.

Sed76

It's not so much that he left but how it was handled by him and his brother. Not every in state kid dreams of being a Razorback, which is fine. The bad taste comes from stringing the Hogs along then making a business decision to become a Wildcat.

The Hogfather

The dude is about as good as you can get at his age.  He is not Archie Goodwin.  He'll have a great year at Kentucky and a long career in the NBA, save for serious injuries.  He, and especially his bro, are still traitors in my book.  Marcus selfishly pushing him to UK to try to further his new agent career is turrible.

songofthesword

Westbrook was a much better prospect. He was a PG that hit a 5 inch growth spurt his senior year his ball handling and point guard skills were there. Plus west has a 3  or 4 inch wing span advantage. For all intents Westbrook is 6'5. Monk has a 6'3 is wingspan and can't dribble but he'll find a place in the league too athletic.

Shannon brown is who his game reminds me of

Hog_Fink

lol ppl are rly rooting for this kid to fail because he didn't call the hogs?

Pretty hard to turn down Kentucky in this era. about the same as bama in football.

malik is likely to lead the team in scoring. he's one of the best scorers to come out in a minute. whether he will be a microwave JR Smith, Jamaal Crawford type plug
or if he can develop more into being a prime Ballhandler will determine his nba success, but I think it's more likely he becomes a top 3 option for a team rather than an Archie Goodwin, or even Shannon Brown. I think he's special & the real deal.
superstar potential

Little Lady Back

Don't blame Malik, he's a kid. If you want to blame someone, blame Marcus. He is the traitor who was looking out for mainly himself, not his brother. Regardless, Malik will have a great one year at KU and future NBA career and we will be just fine as well. 
#NolanRichardsonCourt

King Kong

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 01, 2016, 06:26:14 pm
Both on NBA rosters. Andrew is doing a decent job as a backup PG for Memphis.

Both were projected lottery picks coming out of HS

parallaxpig

I
Quote from: Little Lady Back on November 02, 2016, 06:46:41 am
Don't blame Malik, he's a kid. If you want to blame someone, blame Marcus. He is the traitor who was looking out for mainly himself, not his brother. Regardless, Malik will have a great one year at KU and future NBA career and we will be just fine as well. 

I will grant the great one year at KY.  Long term in NBA-- will not get into that boat.  The flaw in the 'it's a business decision "  is life after basketball. Start watching Archie to see what happens.   
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

MountieDawg

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 02, 2016, 08:19:49 am
I
I will grant the great one year at KY.  Long term in NBA-- will not get into that boat.  The flaw in the 'it's a business decision "  is life after basketball. Start watching Archie to see what happens.   

Are you saying that Arkansas is a better basketball school than Kentucky and takes better care of its players after their career is over?
SEC!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 02, 2016, 08:31:51 am
Are you saying that Arkansas is a better basketball school than Kentucky and takes better care of its players after their career is over?

It is an outdated, small town way of thinking.  IF the player is dead set on coming back home, it may would be a factor otherwise today's more mobile world diminishes this threat.  The first half of your question was unnecessary and you reaching to take a shot at our program. 

parallaxpig

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 02, 2016, 08:31:51 am

I am saying that Arkansas is a small state with one sports program which people are fanatics about. Ex Arkansas ( not necessarily Arkansas natives) athletes have a leg up finding work here after there careers are over if they choose to stay here.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: songofthesword on November 02, 2016, 02:39:38 am
Westbrook was a much better prospect. He was a PG that hit a 5 inch growth spurt his senior year his ball handling and point guard skills were there. Plus west has a 3  or 4 inch wing span advantage. For all intents Westbrook is 6'5. Monk has a 6'3 is wingspan and can't dribble but he'll find a place in the league too athletic.

Shannon brown is who his game reminds me of

Oh, my.

Westbrook was a 3 star out of high school, nowhere near a McD AA, and only played 9 minutes per game as a freshman.

Monk's wingspan is consistently measured at 6'6" They have nearly identical measurables, even standing reach. kinda crazy

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Malik-Monk-7243/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Russell-Westbrook-5062/

MountieDawg

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 02, 2016, 09:04:03 am
I am saying that Arkansas is a small state with one sports program which people are fanatics about. Ex Arkansas ( not necessarily Arkansas natives) athletes have a leg up finding work here after there careers are over if they choose to stay here.

I do believe ex Arkansas players do have an advantage in the state, but to think former Kentucky playerers dont have that advantage or more.  In general, former college athletes of any school have a better chance of getting a job against people with similar qualifications.  Most companies have people that are crazy about sports and love to have former players just to hear the stories.  I have seen it at plenty of companies. 

I was not trying to take a shot at Arkansas, but at the assumption that they will take better care of their basketball players that Kentucky players.
SEC!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 02, 2016, 09:16:38 am
I do believe ex Arkansas players do have an advantage in the state, but to think former Kentucky playerers dont have that advantage or more.  In general, former college athletes of any school have a better chance of getting a job against people with similar qualifications.  Most companies have people that are crazy about sports and love to have former players just to hear the stories.  I have seen it at plenty of companies. 

I was not trying to take a shot at Arkansas, but at the assumption that they will take better care of their basketball players that Kentucky players.

This conversation has also changed.  In the past, the discussion was about players who left the state and spent at least 3 or 4 years at a university.  Now we are talking about kids who have a semester and maybe a second semester of college being out of work in their early 20s.  Not educated.  Not trained to do anything.  In reality, if UK or any college wanted to help it should be to help with their education till they are ready for a job somewhere. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 02, 2016, 09:05:32 am
Oh, my.

Westbrook was a 3 star out of high school, nowhere near a McD AA, and only played 9 minutes per game as a freshman.

Monk's wingspan is consistently measured at 6'6" They have nearly identical measurables, even standing reach. kinda crazy

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Malik-Monk-7243/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Russell-Westbrook-5062/

Yep.  Monk is beyond elite and will be a star at the college and NBA levels, in my opinion.  I really, really hate that his brother helped steer him to Kentucky in an effort to further his new career.  He really could've helped turn the Hogs around.

hogsfan31

November 02, 2016, 09:30:59 am #45 Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:44:01 am by hogsfan31
What's a shame is that Arkansas basketball isn't yet at the level it needs to be in order for us to keep in state takent like Monk from going to Kentucky.

We've been there before, haven't been there in a long time, but maybe we're on the road to getting back there. Mike seems to have a great class signed and great prospects coming in. Would have loved to have Monk, sad he turned on his home state to go to Kentucky, but not surprised. Hard to turn down. Wish him no ill will, but also don't really care with following his career from now on. Even if he came here we would be watching the same as Kentucky fans this year. Great talent wearing the jersey for one year and then he will be gone. If he didn't have to go to college, he wouldn't even be going.

Hopefully we will have a good year and keep building.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 02, 2016, 09:19:28 am
This conversation has also changed.  In the past, the discussion was about players who left the state and spent at least 3 or 4 years at a university.  Now we are talking about kids who have a semester and maybe a second semester of college being out of work in their early 20s.  Not educated.  Not trained to do anything.  In reality, if UK or any college wanted to help it should be to help with their education till they are ready for a job somewhere.

And these kids also take almost, if not, all of their classes online and never even enter a real classroom. KU and Calipari cares nothing for its players just winning championships, which is working unfortunately.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

hogsfan31

Quote from: Little Lady Back on November 02, 2016, 09:39:22 am
And these kids also take almost, if not, all of their classes online and never even enter a real classroom. KU and Calipari cares nothing for its players just winning championships, which is working unfortunately.

If we were winning Championships here, I doubt anyone would care if our players are taking their classes in a classroom or online. Our AD might, but fans wouldn't care.

wheelspigharvey

All that matters to me now w/r/t Monk is that we beat them on the court.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Little Lady Back on November 02, 2016, 09:39:22 am

I know for a fact that none of the players at Kentucky have ever entered a KU classroom. If they are not given a scholarship or enrolled at Kansas they would not be allowed to take classes at KU.  You have no idea what you are talking about, Calipari's biggest selling point is how he and his former players always talk about the Kentucky family and how he they stay connected.  You could probably get a job at CNN or MSNBC and allowed to make up the news for whatever agenda you have. 
SEC!