Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lineup

Started by #fastest40, December 08, 2014, 05:21:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

#fastest40

This is one of my first posts on Hogville but I have been a guest reader for quite some time. After Thursday's loss to Iowa State I was excited that the Hogs could turn around and play Clemson to regroup and get a needed win. While I do not believe the loss at Clemson is the end of the world I do believe some changes to the lineup could be made to help our future success. This is a talented team with depth that we haven't had in years.

I believe over these lasts non conference games we should tinker with the lineups. It is obvious that Ky is better playing off the ball and I would like to see what we have in Beard and Durham. If I were Mike I would have either one of them in as the point guard  the whole game unless they are in foul trouble or not playing well and then I would put Ky in. My dream lineup for this team would be:

PG
Durham/Beard, Madden, Watkins, Babb

SG
Madden, Bell, Watkins, Babb

SF
Qualls, Williams, Harris 

PF
Portis, Harris, Williams, Miles

C
Kingsley, Portis, Thompson, Miles

I realize Beard and Durham probably aren't ready to start yet but these games can give them that experience and show what kind of players we have in them.  Starting a true point guard and Moses can cure our turnover and rebounding woes on the road. 

cableguy

I would start Watkins at point guard because of his strength in rebounding and playing defense. I know Watkins is limited in his outside shooting, but we have other players that will provide outside shooting. Watkins is probably our best drive in guard which put a lot of pressure on the other team big men. He did look awful on his free throw shooting, I hope he was having a bad night at Clemson. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: cableguy on December 12, 2014, 09:59:05 am
I would start Watkins at point guard because of his strength in rebounding and playing defense. I know Watkins is limited in his outside shooting, but we have other players that will provide outside shooting. Watkins is probably our best drive in guard which put a lot of pressure on the other team big men. He did look awful on his free throw shooting, I hope he was having a bad night at Clemson.

Hmm, Corey Beck wasn't a great shooter either. But he handled the ball well, played good defense, and ran the team. So you might have a point.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Biggus Piggus

MA has tended to lean on this lineup:

Madden | Bell | Qualls | Harris/Williams | Portis

His next most-used lineups have had three guards + Qualls or Williams + Portis or Kingsley.

One big problem: Durham and Watkins have shown no outside shooting ability. Babb has not played enough to expect much scoring from him. Beard isn't a good finisher yet, can hit a three if left open. Madden, Bell and Qualls are the most reliable outside shooters. Bell and Madden are not a good defensive combination. Qualls D's when he wants to.

I doubt you can get much defense from this team with Williams and Harris seeing time at the three, while also with Madden and Bell taking top minutes at the two guard.
[CENSORED]!

latrops

Whoa.  I like what Watkins brings to the table and he may well deserve and ultimately thrive with additional minutes.  He also may not.  He hasn't proven himself as a ball handler/distrubitor or shown whether he can maintain his effectiveness with extended minutes.  He hasn't truly been consistently effective even in his reserve role.  I'm all for getting some of the bench players more minutes, especially the guards, over the next few weeks with several cupcakes coming to Arkansas.  I just wouldn't be too quick to assume that any one player is the key.  Several players need to play a little better, and CMA needs to find the right personnel groupings as well as adjust better in games as necessary.

cableguy

I believe Watkins can use his size to get the ball up court just like Cory Beck use to do. I bet he knows how to start an offense given his dad is a coach, plus he looks to pass first instead of shoot.  Beck wasn't a great ball handler either and did not have a lot of quickness, but what made him stand out is that he LOVE playing defense and getting the ball to Corliss. I know I am kind of wishful thinking that Watkins will turn into a good point guard, but I see some potential. His ability to read the defense and drive to the goal is something that we haven't had in years.   

code red

I wouldn't start Madden..the rest of the year.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Letsroll1200

No way MA should start Kingsley and Portis together. Kingsley did not get a rebound against Iowa State and Clemson. I would go with

Durham
Madden
Qualls
Harris
Portis

Bell could provide the offensive spark with the second unit and Madden could prove to be better off the ball. Madden did not play up to standards the last two games but before he displayed leadership at home. I'm not done with Ky Madden because I think he has something to prove. On the other hand, we are so thin in the post because Harris has displayed a lack of knowing/playing his role on the team. We have gotten little to nothing from the transfer Miles.

Danny J

Quote from: cableguy on December 12, 2014, 01:49:36 pm
I believe Watkins can use his size to get the ball up court just like Cory Beck use to do. I bet he knows how to start an offense given his dad is a coach, plus he looks to pass first instead of shoot.  Beck wasn't a great ball handler either and did not have a lot of quickness, but what made him stand out is that he LOVE playing defense and getting the ball to Corliss. I know I am kind of wishful thinking that Watkins will turn into a good point guard, but I see some potential. His ability to read the defense and drive to the goal is something that we haven't had in years.
I respectfully disagree. Watkins is not now or never will be close to the level of talent that Beck had.

Danny J

Quote from: code red on December 12, 2014, 02:38:31 pm
I wouldn't start Madden..the rest of the year.
Not only that he would not see the court at the end of games either. If he hasn't figured it out now then it simply isn't going to happen.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Danny J on December 12, 2014, 03:11:38 pm
I respectfully disagree. Watkins is not now or never will be close to the level of talent that Beck had.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This
Watkins and Beck shouldn't be uttered in the same sentence!

cableguy

Watkins and Beck shouldn't be uttered in the same sentence!

Lol I understand why you would say that, but Watkins is just a sophomore. He seems to understand the game a lot better than the other players and at least he wont keep dribbling right into a defender like Madden does. I think we will see a lot of Watkins tomorrow and we will see if he can be a distributor like a Cory Beck. I know he won't have his on court leadership skills, but just maybe give us some assists and some tough defense.         

rude1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 12, 2014, 12:20:16 pm
MA has tended to lean on this lineup:

Madden | Bell | Qualls | Harris/Williams | Portis

His next most-used lineups have had three guards + Qualls or Williams + Portis or Kingsley.

One big problem: Durham and Watkins have shown no outside shooting ability. Babb has not played enough to expect much scoring from him. Beard isn't a good finisher yet, can hit a three if left open. Madden, Bell and Qualls are the most reliable outside shooters. Bell and Madden are not a good defensive combination. Qualls D's when he wants to.

I doubt you can get much defense from this team with Williams and Harris seeing time at the three, while also with Madden and Bell taking top minutes at the two guard.
Agreed. But then I ask myself the question "who are the good defenders on this team'? Watkins, Kingsley, and ?????? I think in there lies the problem, we have a roster of guys who aren't good defenders and we are attempting to play man to man defense with a roster of poor defenders. There's no wonder it looks like the red sea at times on the defensive end of the court.

mhuff

The team missed four in a row. I like the looks of Babb. He seems to play both ends of the floor.

Danny J

Quote from: mhuff on December 12, 2014, 04:40:45 pm
The team missed four in a row. I like the looks of Babb. He seems to play both ends of the floor.
I really like Babb also. I had a good feeling about him during his senior year and in hearing all the interviews done with local media outlets. You could hear the basketball and really the overall IQ in his voice and mannerisms. He understands. He needs more playing time.

Thepigdoctor

Babb had to pick up a considerable amount of knowledge and insight from his brother on how to prepare for college basketball. Our sample size with him is very limited at this point and I suspect it will continue to be as Anderson, like most coaches, has always seemed to prefer experience over potential. It's risky rolling with youth, unless you've got a 5 star talent.

There is a lot of room for error with many of our upcoming NC opponents, and I think it'd go a long way for the team come late January-February if he used these games to get Beard and Babb a considerable amount of minutes. You're going to need those guys to step up sooner that later, might as well break them in now. I'm not necessarily saying start them both, but I certainly don't think it would hurt anything. With the way we typically sub, bringing Madden, Bell, or even Qualls off the bench would quickly remedy any hiccups against an overly matched opponent.